• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

English Translated Japanese Visual Novel/ADV Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

grim-tales

!!!
images

I'm Sara's brother?!? *faints* This feels... wrong :(

grim-tales

Well, partly a random theory but also because Sara thinks the guy in the pendant could be her dad.. but it looks like Takeshi... so.. :s
Also on the 5th route, can you choose to play as the Kid? There doesnt seem to be an option? I always seem to start as Takeshi

Well, partly a random theory but also because Sara thinks the guy in the pendant could be her dad.. but it looks like Takeshi... so.. :s
Also on the 5th route, can you choose to play as the Kid? There doesnt seem to be an option? I always seem to start as Takeshi
The option should show up the same it does every time you play.

Daichi

Neo Member
Recently played my first VN, Saya no uta, and would like something similar if possible. Really enjoyed the story for other than sex scene reasons. Any recommendations?
A Scar of the Doll on iOS short but not bad.

As already recommended 999. It's sequel Virtue's Last Reward should be as good. Corpse Party is great, worth it if you have a PSP\Vita. And Chaos;Head might also be up your ally.

Most of these are in the psychological\horror ally of things.

As already recommended 999. It's sequel Virtue's Last Reward should be as good. Corpse Party is great, worth it if you have a PSPVita. And Chaos;Head might also be up your ally.

Most of these are in the psychologicalhorror ally of things.

Did they ever fix the awkward English for a scar of doll?

jaxword

As already recommended 999. It's sequel Virtue's Last Reward should be as good. Corpse Party is great, worth it if you have a PSP\Vita. And Chaos;Head might also be up your ally.

Most of these are in the psychological\horror ally of things.

Warning: Corpse Party is indeed good but INCREDIBLY bloody and disgusting. Do not play it with a weak stomach or fear of blood and feces.

Erigu

Night of the Kamaitaichi/Banshee's Last Cry is up on the iOS app store. Downloading now.
Ah, finally. I seem to remember that version didn't have the silhouettes though, so I'm a bit worried about what else they might have changed...

aravuus

Warning: Corpse Party is indeed good but INCREDIBLY bloody and disgusting. Do not play it with a weak stomach or fear of blood and feces.

I started playing it once but didn't get far. Is there an actual story hidden in there or is it just horror gore-fest? Cba to waste time on something that's pretty much only jump scares and spilled guts and dismantled bodies and ripped limbs and smashed heads (and shit?)

I started playing it once but didn't get far. Is there an actual story hidden in there or is it just horror gore-fest? Cba to waste time on something that's pretty much only jump scares and spilled guts and dismantled bodies and ripped limbs and smashed heads (and shit?)
Well, there is a story but if you don't find it interesting right from the start I would recommend not playing it.

aravuus

Well, there is a story but if you don't find it interesting right from the start I would recommend not playing it.

I should have clarified, by "didn't get far" I meant that I literally played it for five minutes and stopped cause I had other stuff to do. The story hadn't practically even started yet. Next time I'll be sure to give it at least an hour.

Knurek

I should have clarified, by "didn't get far" I meant that I literally played it for five minutes and stopped cause I had other stuff to do. The story hadn't practically even started yet. Next time I'll be sure to give it at least an hour.

There's a story, all right. Your standard Japanese horror fare, I'd say, if you didn't like the stories in Ring or Grudge, you won't like it here as well.

aravuus

Dude, Ring is probably my favorite horror movie, and Grudge was great too. If it's at all similar, I know I'm gonna like it

grim-tales

The option should show up the same it does every time you play.

Doesnt seem to for me..? I just worked out how to Quick Save though.
Wait
How does the Kid know Sara's name when no-one told him (And besides, if he has amnesia, that doesnt make sense)? You're sitting on the bench at the start waiting for her right?

Is it necessary to do any bad endings before the 5th route?

Doesnt seem to for me..? I just worked out how to Quick Save though.
Wait
How does the Kid know Sara's name when no-one told him (And besides, if he has amnesia, that doesnt make sense)? You're sitting on the bench at the start waiting for her right?

Is it necessary to do any bad endings before the 5th route?

I'm gonna guess that you got it to work? Playing as the Kid, that is.

And I don't think you need any bad ends, but like I said before, Tsugumi/Sora's (They share it) is a good one. Sara's is too.

grim-tales

Ah OK, fair enough, thank you :) I thought I made a mistake.
I think
The explantations as to how you just know things are.. multiple timelines etc (a la VLR) it has to be.

upandaway

Higurashi 6 (done)

Surprise! I'm starting to see a theme with these answer arcs, haha. I pretty much acknowledged that the first episode was Keiichi's insanity for a while now, but my problem was that I still thought the needle and syringe were real, so that solves that.
And finally a good ending (they still died but y'know)!

Keiichi's Reading Steiner was pretty amazing. It's easy to think up reasons for everything now, but I doubt things will be that simple. Excite.

grim-tales

?
How does the Kid know he's 16 suddenly? I thought he couldnt remember his birthday.
Also in Sara's ending I got the impression Sara was younger than him, as he called her "Little Sara" (and Sara is 16 too) so.. :s

grim-tales

HOLY CRAP - WTF?!?
The Kid doesnt look like Takeshi this time but some "Kid he didnt know"? Maybe he split in two like You said? An evil twin? :D

Shocked-David-Bowie.gif.pagespeed.ce.QBQpOpV00K.gif

Yasumi

Banned
HOLY CRAP - WTF?!?
The Kid doesnt look like Takeshi this time but some "Kid he didnt know"? Maybe he split in two like You said? An evil twin? :D

I thought that pre-edit image tag was your reaction. Expecting something close to that once you get to the really good stuff. >:D

HOLY CRAP - WTF?!?

Wait,
The Kid was supposed to look like Takeshi? If so, holy crap, I might just get my mind blown even after finishing the game! O.O

Also, that reaction was mine as well. Gotta love the music playing at that scene too!

upandaway

Wait,
The Kid was supposed to look like Takeshi? If so, holy crap, I might just get my mind blown even after finishing the game! O.O

Also, that reaction was mine as well. Gotta love the music playing at that scene too!
(grim don't read)
Wait, what? That's kind of vital to the whole twist. It's not something you can miss. Am I misunderstanding something?

(grim don't read)
Wait, what? That's kind of vital to the whole twist. It's not something you can miss. Am I misunderstanding something?

Well, it's been a long while since I've played the game. I think I'm rusty on a few details. >_>

EDIT: Oh Wait... I think I misunderstood (Still might not want to read, grim)
Did he mean that The Kid in his route didn't look like the Kid in Takeshi's route? I thought he was saying that The Kid was supposed to look like Takeshi... meh... My bad?

jaxword

Dude, Ring is probably my favorite horror movie, and Grudge was great too. If it's at all similar, I know I'm gonna like it

Well, yes and no. It has the similar despair-ridden "no escape" writing, but it's a bit less "thing in the dark you can't quite make out" and more "incredibly gross descriptions of blood and gore."

You may like it.

It's not BAD, but I personally didn't like it after a certain point with all the gore.

Well, it's been a long while since I've played the game. I think I'm rusty on a few details. >_>

EDIT: Oh Wait... I think I misunderstood (Still might not want to read, grim)
Did he mean that The Kid in his route didn't look like the Kid in Takeshi's route? I thought he was saying that The Kid was supposed to look like Takeshi... meh... My bad?

DO NOt READ GRIM
How did you miss the fact that the Kid is Takeshi's son?

aravuus

Well, yes and no. It has the similar despair-ridden "no escape" writing, but it's a bit less "thing in the dark you can't quite make out" and more "incredibly gross descriptions of blood and gore."

You may like it.

It's not BAD, but I personally didn't like it after a certain point with all the gore.

Yeah alright, I'll give it another try. I'll be sure to post my overly dramatic and over exaggerated impressions when I do, like always.

Knurek

Yeah alright, I'll give it another try. I'll be sure to post my overly dramatic and over exaggerated impressions when I do, like always.

Be warned though - the game is best played with a walkthrough - lots of dead ends, many of which are not telegraphed.

grim-tales

I don't get it...
Just seen the pendant again and the Kid says the man inside is "a man I'd never seen before", but to me it looks like Takeshi (when you show him the pendant in Sara's ending thats what Takeshi says). Maybe the pendant appears differently to different people or something? *very confused* :D
ETA: Now a different version of the pendant scene.... Sara thinks Takeshi is her dad?
And back to Takeshi's POV... why is Coco calling him dad (previously Brother)? *Brain hurts*

Be warned though - the game is best played with a walkthrough - lots of dead ends, many of which are not telegraphed.

Collecting every bad end is part of the fun tho!

I didn't need a walkthrough before the last episode. There was that one pretty cryptic thing IIRC.

I don't get it...
Just seen the pendant again and the Kid says the man inside is "a man I'd never seen before", but to me it looks like Takeshi (when you show him the pendant in Sara's ending thats what Takeshi says). Maybe the pendant appears differently to different people or something? *very confused* :D
ETA: Now a different version of the pendant scene.... Sara thinks Takeshi is her dad?
And back to Takeshi's POV... why is Coco calling him dad (previously Brother)? *Brain hurts*

i'm confused ,
if you've seen the mirror scene ( way earlier in your reactions ) then you must be on the final route , everything seems to indicate this .
If true , then your brain is hurting , yes but that's only because you're in a whirlpool of twists .. rest assured there is a logical conclusion ( and another twist ) coming for the explanation.

grim-tales

Hmmm....
Sooo.... Coco keeps calling Takeshi "dad".
1) Coco's dad is the researcher at IBF who contracted the TB virus (in Tsugumi's ending and others) and dies
2) Coco then reveals she's from the Sun...? She bit Takeshi in the same way she bit the tanuki's tail right at the beginning
3) Sara said the man in the pendant (who may be Takeshi) was from the "Sun"...
4) Oh God.. now Takeshi is playing "chicks", did he just tell Coco off for crapping on the floor?.. errrr....
*brain threatens to explode, lies down*

xEtlDVR.gif

grim-tales

I think I'm piecing things together now....
Coco's story of the 800 year old Nun sounds a bit like Rip Van Winkle, BUT it also sounds like she's explaining how/why Tsugumi is so unhappy (if she has eternal youth that is). Maybe Tsugumi slipped through time

grim-tales

:? :eek:
You tells the Kid her name is Yubiseiakikana but then the Kid changes the "aki" character to "Haru" - HUH?!?
Sure I spotted the namechange before.

grim-tales

Is 'The Empty Fall Sky, A Single Cuckoo Calls Out, Brings a Chill To Me' a famous haiku or something? If it is, does anyone know where I can see it in romaji? It might give me a clue.. because you see usually see cuckoos in spring right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom