• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

English Translated Japanese Visual Novel/ADV Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

grim-tales

HOLY FLERKING SCHMIT....

If Coco calls the lullaby the "Moon and Ocean" song, that has the same characters as "Tsugumi" (Moon Sea or Moon Ocean I think), so is Tsugumi.. Coco's mum?!?
Maybe everyone is secretly related

200.gif

PKrockin

When I got to this point I had to read the rest of it in one go. I couldn't pull myself away from it long enough to post on GAF, much less sleep and go to work the next day. I got like 45 minutes of sleep that night. lol

When I got to this point I had to read the rest of it in one go. I couldn't pull myself away from it long enough to post on GAF, much less sleep and go to work the next day. I got like 45 minutes of sleep that night. lol
I felt the same ... once i was on the true route i just could stop and i had to finish the game ..
grim should have finshed this game hours ago .. i dont have any popcorn left

Yuuichi

If you think Ever17 is gripping, be prepared to be glued to your screen during the final chapters of Akabesoft's games (G-Senjou, Sharin no Kuni). The worse offender for me was actually Rewrite, I beat Terra (the final route) in one sitting, it took over 6 hours.

To change the topic a bit, I just cleared the Houzuki route in the Sharin no Kuni fan disc, and I was wondering how people felt about it.
I personally felt that the prison raid was a bit anticlimactic, and didn't really feel satisfied with it; however I think some of that might have had to do with how the final scene in the car invalidated the decision I made at the end of the game. On the other hand, it made the world feel a bit more complete, so I'm glad I spent time with it (even if it was at someone's request). I even would have prefered the game to end with a gunshot, even if it wasn't clear who gets shot.

grim-tales

Well,
I've got some things right so far... Takeshi being the Kid's father (didnt get Tsugumi though).. and the "You's mum = You herself" I ALMOST got right.. I didnt know it was combined sister/daughter though
Huh?
So the Japanese date format is year/month/day and the European format is month/day/year? I didnt know that...
In the UK its day/month year I'm sure
:D

upandaway

Nah. G-Senjou's been great so far, but it's got nothing on Uchikoshi's mindfuckery and brainsmashing twists.
Save that for when you actually get to those parts in G-Senjou! (or have you?)
There's really no merit to comparing them though. Uchikoshi's true routes are twists incarnate, G-Senjou's true route actually had a (really good) story to go alongside the twists. To say one is crazier/better than the other just based on the plot devices is kind of doing them both disservice.

Will have to get to both Never7 and Sharin no Kuni eventually

G-Senjou isn't really comparable here, especially as the game essentially lies to you in order to keep its secrets. There's a lot of clunky writing, and even the ending is emotionally manipulative and even kind of dumb.

upandaway

Aww well, if we really have to get into this, I definitely liked Ever17 more than G-Senjou. I don't think G-Senjou is as guilty as you say though.

upandaway

Oh snap, Minagoroshi-hen is super exciting.
It's almost unrealistically ridiculous how the some people are acting, considering freaking patting her on the head made her cry, but man, I love a good underdog escalation. I'm still in the middle of it but the energy's great.

If you told me I'd make this post back during the question arcs, I wouldn't have believed a word. Crazy stuff.

ys45

I realized that the only genre I never played is a Visual Novel and I want to try this genre .
I never played a Visual Novel I checked the first page of this thread but I wanted some advice on where to start, what would be a good start for someone who never played that kind of game ?

I realized that the only genre I never played is a Visual Novel and I want to try this genre .
I never played a Visual Novel I checked the first page of this thread but I wanted some advice on where to start, what would be a good start for someone who never played that kind of game ?
My first was 999: Nine Hours Nine Persons Nine Doors. It's got a good story, and the puzzle rooms help it be more interactive. I'd say the only downside was having to redo some rooms when playing all the routes; but considering the payoff at the end, it's totally worth it.

And though it's not a total VN, Ace Attorney series is worth checking out.

Something like 999 for DS, it's sequel Virtue's Last Reward 3DS/Vita or Danganronpa for Vita/PSP seem to be the types of games many in GAF use as stepping stones to the genre. Easy to get into and not too long. Of course there are many types of VNs, the ones I mentioned are mostly mystery/thriller with gameplay so it's not narrative only.

I think Corpse Party for PSP was my first ''mostly'' VN tho even that could be regarded as an adventure game.

Knurek

Steins;Gate
Saya no Uta

aravuus

Save that for when you actually get to those parts in G-Senjou! (or have you?)

Probably not to be honest lol. Should probably continue it right away. Lost my saves though. Time to fast-forward that shit. But yeah, E17 and G-senjou, or their twists, aren't comparable. That much I can already tell.

G-Senjou isn't really comparable here, especially as the game essentially lies to you in order to keep its secrets. There's a lot of clunky writing, and even the ending is emotionally manipulative and even kind of dumb.

Talking about clunky writing, I think all visual novels suffer from it. Part of it is quite likely all the fan translations, and maybe the stuff works better in Japanese, but it feels like there's a lot of stupid shit and kind of 'filler' everywhere in visual novels. One of the things I hate most is the constant comparing (for lack of a better word), you know, characters describing something abstract (sometimes even something concrete!) in ten different ways for absolutely no reason. Like the writer just thinks s/he's being super witty with these comparisons.

e: look, i can do it too! "the room was pitch black. it's as if the emotion we call fear had turned into something physical. like a black hole had eaten everything concrete and only my consciousness was left. you could even say... it's pretty fucking dark"
soooo fucking ~~witty~~

Talking about clunky writing, I think all visual novels suffer from it. Part of it is quite likely all the fan translations, and maybe the stuff works better in Japanese, but it feels like there's a lot of stupid shit and kind of 'filler' everywhere in visual novels. One of the things I hate most is the constant comparing (for lack of a better word), you know, characters describing something abstract (sometimes even something concrete!) in ten different ways for absolutely no reason. Like the writer just thinks s/he's being super witty with these comparisons.
It's a problem with the medium in general. Poor pacing and tons of filler scenes/dialogue are way too common.

grim-tales

Ever 17:
Tsugumi's story was so sad - I was almost crying the whole time :( So sad she was unable to open to Takeshi for so long and poured her heart and soul into her children - only to abandon them out of love - but they didnt know that :(

upandaway

Probably not to be honest lol. Should probably continue it right away. Lost my saves though. Time to fast-forward that shit. But yeah, E17 and G-senjou, or their twists, aren't comparable. That much I can already tell.

e: look, i can do it too! "the room was pitch black. it's as if the emotion we call fear had turned into something physical. like a black hole had eaten everything concrete and only my consciousness was left. you could even say... it's pretty fucking dark"
soooo fucking ~~witty~~
Yeah, the writing is pretty amateurish, but professional polish can put breaks on a story from getting too crazy. That's where VNs are different from more western media. You say it mainly happens in the form of excessive metaphors and filler, but that's just a side effect of the whole philosophy of the writing, forgoing polish as the cost for letting go of the rope.

Well first of all, what kind of genres do you like? In terms of stuff like books and movies. Most of the suggestions you got are mystery and suspense, with a healthy seasoning of twists. There are also a lot of good romance, drama, action mainly. I'd suggest anything with a True End like 999/Ever17 or something with early branching like Katawa Shoujo.

Sitrus

If you think Ever17 is gripping, be prepared to be glued to your screen during the final chapters of Akabesoft's games (G-Senjou, Sharin no Kuni). The worse offender for me was actually Rewrite, I beat Terra (the final route) in one sitting, it took over 6 hours.

To change the topic a bit, I just cleared the Houzuki route in the Sharin no Kuni fan disc, and I was wondering how people felt about it.
I personally felt that the prison raid was a bit anticlimactic, and didn't really feel satisfied with it; however I think some of that might have had to do with how the final scene in the car invalidated the decision I made at the end of the game. On the other hand, it made the world feel a bit more complete, so I'm glad I spent time with it (even if it was at someone's request). I even would have prefered the game to end with a gunshot, even if it wasn't clear who gets shot.

Aw damn, I also finished Terra (and Moon) Rewrite in one sitting. I know many says it is lacking and all of that stuff, but for me, it is one of the most memorable VNs I have read in a long time.

aravuus

Yeah, the writing is pretty amateurish, but professional polish can put breaks on a story from getting too crazy. That's where VNs are different from more western media. You say it mainly happens in the form of excessive metaphors and filler, but that's just a side effect of the whole philosophy of the writing, forgoing polish as the cost for letting go of the rope.

Yeah, comes with the territory, I guess. Didn't mean the metaphors and filler were a major part though, I meant the excessive metaphors (of course the word always comes to mind afterwards) are just, to me, the most annoying aspect of bad writing.

This is going to be a massive generalization, but I just feel that Japanese writers aren't good with very character-centric drama, which is why I enjoy anime, JRPGs and VNs for their batshit insane stories that western media never seem to play around with, not for their deep characterizations or clever dialogue or thematic exploration or whatever.

e: now i'm repeating myself from when i finished mla

Yuuichi

Nah. G-Senjou's been great so far, but it's got nothing on Uchikoshi's mindfuckery and brainsmashing twists.

The twists are a bit less sci-fi, but things don't get really interesting till chapter 4, and when you hit 5, be prepared to be unmoving from your screen until the epilogue ends. I guarantee you the last twist will get you.

aravuus

The twists are a bit less sci-fi, but things don't get really interesting till chapter 4, and when you hit 5, be prepared to be unmoving from your screen until the epilogue ends. I guarantee you the last twist will get you.

I'll start posting crazy theories hourly like grim then lol, we'll see who wins! No seriously though, I should continue it right now. I'm an hour into chapter 4.

Muntu, please read anything by Mitsuru Adachi (Touch or H2 or Cross Game) and come back here.

Sure, if I ever have the time. But like I said, massive generalization. I would assume there's a reason why many of the best anime are loved for their crazy fucking stories, and many of the best western shows are loved for their characters and writing.

Yuuichi

Aw damn, I also finished Terra (and Moon) Rewrite in one sitting. I know many says it is lacking and all of that stuff, but for me, it is one of the most memorable VNs I have read in a long time.
After about a month of deliberation, I awarded it a 10 on VNDB and the title of the single best game I've ever played. The First Press LE sits proudly on my shelf with Harvest Festa behind it, waiting for me to play it (I should have another game in the mail that I want to play first, I have an email to send tonight (;一_一))

Also, as Muntu reminds me, I should really play Muv-Luv in it's entirety soonish. But my shelf backlog says otherwise.

upandaway

After about a month of deliberation, I awarded it a 10 on VNDB and the title of the single best game I've ever played.
Hahaha whoa. The only VNs I read that didn't get a 10 are Remember11 and VLR (they're 9 though). And Saya no Uta, I plead the fifth on that one.

Sitrus

After about a month of deliberation, I awarded it a 10 on VNDB and the title of the single best game I've ever played. The First Press LE sits proudly on my shelf with Harvest Festa behind it, waiting for me to play it (I should have another game in the mail that I want to play first, I have an email to send tonight (;一_一))

Also, as Muntu reminds me, I should really play Muv-Luv in it's entirety soonish. But my shelf backlog says otherwise.

Muv-luv is too good to just sit there :p Although Extra bored me a bit due to its "cliches"(the syndrome of having read too many).

I also rated Rewrite as my favorite among those I have read for some STRANGE reasons.
I know Sharin, G-senjou, Baldr Sky-series, CLANNAD, Muv-Luv triology, Steins;Gate, Ever17, 999 got quite some praise (and deserved too), but something about the protagonist in Rewrite just clicked with me. Have to finish Cross Channel which has been bugging me for a long time.

Yuuichi

Hahaha whoa. The only VNs I read that didn't get a 10 are Remember11 and VLR (they're 9 though). And Saya no Uta, I plead the fifth on that one.

I loved Saya, no need to plead on that one. I can't say I would play it again though.

Why don't you guys enjoy this wonderful list that covers what I've played.

Edit: I should probably mention that I use the X/10 scale with 5 being neutral, making anything above 5 good, and anything below bad (scaled appropriately, of course)

Verelios

I think a good starting point would be something like Katawa Shoujo. The routes appear very early, the game itself is a decent length, nothing too long, but enough content to pull you through the motions. And, I find that some of the routes were really damn good. Such as Rin. And Rin. However, if we're talking just getting into the series, perhaps something with more gameplay centric qualities would be best?

Phoenix Wright is great for that. The cases are interesting and characterization spans five games, which really hammer home a distinct personality. I guess there's also Yume Kusuri, a drug where you dream. I enjoyed it for what it was, and it's a great entryway into VN's.

The only failing I had with Saya was its short length, but I'm still shaking my head.

grim-tales

I think I'm getting now -
I'm getting the sense that Coco is an Akane/June like figure, there were 2 LeMU accidents and Coco had to set one up in order to save her own exsistence, or something like that? The stuff about 'Kubaraki' and the Kid in 2017 being the same is confusing as hell though, who is he anyway?!?
Well, time to finish tomorrow :(

Dropped_Off

Neo Member
What do you think I should try after Ever 17 - Remember 11 or Never 7?

Try Never7 first, but it's best not to go into it expecting anything too amazing. Give one route a shot and see if you enjoy it. The only strong point I remember about Never7 is (minor Ever17 spoilers)
a more in-depth explanation of the cure virus

Also just completely finished Grisaia no Kajitsu, Amane's route started off fairly unexciting, but that flashback sequence and what followed it was pretty damn good, glad I saved that route for last. Overall though, each route was enjoyable, happily awaiting for the sequel to be translated.

I might look at starting Remember11 finally to bide me over till Danganronpa/Steins;Gate arrives.

PKrockin

I went with Never7 and then Remember11. Nothing wrong with that order.

Never7 was pretty enjoyable since I tempered my expectations beforehand. It usually takes until the second half of each route to get interesting, though. Still, the first half has more variety than the repeated common events of Ever17.

upandaway

Higurashi 7 (oohhh boy)

I can't hold all these twists. That final one (#34) was WHOA. I seriously had no clue. Wasn't even thinking about it.
Also, the fake choice got me! :lol I jumped a little bit in my seat. I was caught off guard by the fact there's a choice, didn't even move my mouse yet and it changes. These things always freaking get me! hahaha

So yeah, virus conspiracy. I had some moments where I thought it's supernatural, but I was still mostly about the human culprits from ep1, so I'm satisfied. I guess the uncle's murder was a hallucination? But some of the coincidences (that I know now are coincidences) really threw me for a loop... they're really cruel. How was I supposed to figure that out.

It's getting harder and harder to ignore the breaks of suspension of disbelief, but I guess that's how conspiracy stories are.. it's all just crazy. The PM didn't even know? Luckily I have military-grade training in ignoring these things for full enjoyment! It's all cool. At least it's nice that he acknowledged that the childcare centers aren't actually like that. That one was a bit too ridiculous.

Will start 8 tomorrow. Hoping for Akasaka finally. C'mon man, you even have a picture now.

grim-tales

Oooh boy....
True version of 2017:
A couple of things jumped out at me -

1. Coco's father being called Takeshi
2. The message "It seems like "T.Y's daughter is working part time here at LeMu. I dont know if I should tell her but..." - is that talking about You?

aravuus

What the hell lol, never noticed I'm the number one poster of this thread. Guess it's obvious how much I like to make myself heard cause I've only read like 4 or 5 vns.
e: in quality and quantity both, of course

Yeah, shouldn't take much away from the experience.

e: the g-senjou shiratori route is soooo wackyyyyyy teehee jesus what the fuck

grim-tales

Finally finished E17
What an AMAZING game/story, it was like
999+ bits of VLR (you organising things yourself, sort of)
, I guessed some things but, so so, good WOW...

But I didnt quite get:
The paradox thing... BW (I think?) said if Takeshi were there with everyone, Hokuto hadnt called out "Dad" at the bottom of the sea, so no one had saved him and he just rotted away, and Coco was left behind too. So the accident at LeMU HAD to take place. But why didnt BW saving them later create the same paradox? :s

aravuus

Okay the bad ending was very lol-worthy. Guess I'll check the good one quickly too although now I really just want to get to the true route

upandaway

Okay the bad ending was very lol-worthy. Guess I'll check the good one quickly too although now I really just want to get to the true route
The bad endings might as well not be there. I really liked
Tokita's profile of Kyousuke
so that's why I suggested it, the silly stuff are also fun but everything else is kinda weird.

The true route kicks the gas from the second you click on the choice, so don't feel rushed.

Tizoc

Sorry for asking this, but with Steins; Gate releasing soon I wanted to ask:
Why don't more Japanese VN devs license some of their games to be released on Steam? Are they worried about it not being profitable really quickly early on?

For that matter, has JAST mentioned any info on whether a Steam version of SG would happen?

Sorry for asking this, but with Steins; Gate releasing soon I wanted to ask:
Why don't more Japanese VN devs license some of their games to be released on Steam? Are they worried about it not being profitable really quickly early on?

For that matter, has JAST mentioned any info on whether a Steam version of SG would happen?

Until the past half year, Steam hadn't even been a real option, Japanese VNs didn't make it through Greenlight. There's also the issue of adult content, which most translated VNs have and makes them ineligible for Steam.

JAST has said they will explore a Steam release later. I imagine it will eventually happen unless 5pb blocks it for some reason.

Knurek

Until the past half year, Steam hadn't even been a real option, Japanese VNs didn't make it through Greenlight. There's also the issue of adult content, which most translated VNs have and makes them ineligible for Steam.

Plus the Japanese companies are unbelievable control freaks and as a general rule don't really get digital.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom