• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West |OT| I Die, You Die.

FrankT

Yea thinking I'm going to get both too now as well week one. I'll just daisy chain the Amazon credit offers. $20 from Castlevania on Enslaved and then take that $10 and use it on Fable 3. Plus you get the soundtrack from Amazon for Enslaved.

Despera

Banned
Ok... Got my hands on both Enslaved and Castlevania, but I'm currently playing this first.

Playing on Hard...

Acting is phenomenal. All I have to say is that the demo segment is utter crap compared to what comes next. The section that comes right after it should have been the demo.

FrankT

Despera said:
Ok... Got my hands on both Enslaved and Castlevania, but I'm currently playing this first.

Playing on Hard...

Acting is phenomenal. All I have to say is that the demo segment is utter crap compared to what comes next. The section that comes right after it should have been the demo.

Nice, 360 version? How is it holding up?

I liked the demo, though the character movement felt subpar compared to Uncharted. I'd pick it up but as usual, I draw the line when it comes to paying MSRP for just about anything when it's first released.

dreamfall

I'm really excited- I like the positive reception, but I was set to buy it way back when. Ninja Theory makes really stunning characters, and in terms of credibility, they're up there with some of the better studios.

Despera

Banned
Jtyettis said:
Nice, 360 version? How is it holding up?

Yep, 360 version. It seems that both the PS3 and 360 versions are out before the official street date (same goes for Castlevania). But I chose the 360 version after watching that Digital Foundry comparison vid.

There were a couple of unmissable instances where the framerate dipped, but nothing major. Game is smooth as silk otherwise.

Hard mode is definitely more fun than normal, so I recommend starting on that difficulty.

cjdunn

DaBuddaDa said:
I think it's safe to say that this will perform exactly as well as Heavenly Sword did, maybe a little bit better. This won't start off as a huge seller because it doesn't have the marketing push behind it, but it may have some legs.

It should perform a lot better since it's multi-platform (HS was PS3 exclusive) and both console install bases have grown since HS.

You're right about the marketing, but good, consistent reviews should help.

mm04

Okay, after seeing all these reviews pop up when I was sleeping and some of our posters' impressions, I'll be going to Kmart next week to pick this up. Can't beat that $25 coupon offer.

Despera

Banned
There are some cutscenes with funny texture pop-in... I guess these are the performance hiccups reviewers were talking about.

V_Arnold

robotzombie said:
So no system is the clear favorite? If I have both should I definitely get one over the other?

Clear favorite, but it is not bad on PS3 either. This was already figured out from the demo.

FrankT

robotzombie said:
So no system is the clear favorite? If I have both should I definitely get one over the other?

.5(graphics) differnce for IGN;

Graphics
Enslaved features great animation and a ton of beautiful color. Unfortunately, graphical glitches and framerate issues rear their heads often, particularly on the PS3.

Gamesradar noted a few issues as well.

DF FR analysis;

http://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfoundry

Pretty much what was gathered from the demos as well.

V_Arnold said:
Clear favorite, but it is not bad on PS3 either. This was already figured out from the demo.

This pretty much.

V_Arnold

I AM JOHN! said:
I'm actually shocked by the reviews. :eek:

Based on the Enslaved demo impression thread, I suppose most people wanted to see a justification like this:

EDGE - 2/10.
"It does not control like a true Hack'n'slash game. Sloppy combat, slow reaction time - THIS studio will do the *** also? Horrible!"

1UP's in.

B+ said:
Enslaved takes the standard, post-apocalyptic videogame setting and mixes in a batch of steam punk and heavy science fiction for its stylized world. But as gorgeous as the levels look, it's the characters, dialog, and story that pull it all together...even when portions of the game become repetitious.

mjc

The reviews are much more consistent than I thought they were gonna be. I'll be getting this next Tuesday for sure.

Owzers

Everytime i read a review snippet, this is what i read:

" Everything in this game is fantastic outside of the gameplay"

It's alan wake and bioshock all over again.

was the gameplay in bioshock really that bad? /saving it for another time

I'm definitely picking this game up now. Control imprecision still really bothers me but I'll fight through it.

sillymonkey321 said:

Same here. It's annoying because everyone seems to be ignoring that too. GAMES should be about GAMEplay first, not how pretty it is.

V_Arnold

CaptYamato said:
Same here. It's annoying because everyone seems to be ignoring that too. GAMES should be about GAMEplay first, not how pretty it is.

So you basically do not play adventure games, exploration/puzzle games, and MMO games (outside say WoW, or Aion, or I do not know what qualifies nowadays in the hardcore as "having gameplay" goes)?

LQX

sillymonkey321 said:

Bioshock had great gameplay.

Haunted

I don't know if I should be happy or worried that pretty much every review is confirming the impression I've got from the demo.

sillymonkey321 said:

But Alan Wake and Bioshock had decent to fun gameplay mechanics.

Pancho

Qurupancho
What a pleasant surprise. :)

I honestly thought the game would receive lukewarm reviews but I'm so glad I was wrong:D
Can't wait to get my hands on it!

chrislowe

haven't tried the demo on my x360, only on my ps3 and it sucked.

It felt like a mix of those ps1 games wild9, that one with bruce willis character (acopalypse? or something), and the graphics sucked on ps3.
lots of jaggies , tearing, and framerate issues. hope the real version is better :)

FrankT

DevelopmentArrested said:
was the gameplay in bioshock really that bad? /saving it for another time

I'm definitely picking this game up now. Control imprecision still really bothers me but I'll fight through it.

That and the camera for some reason seemed off to me, but I'm willing to look over these with said reviews.

webrunner

LQX said:
Bioshock had great gameplay.

Bioshock had great gameplay but it was extremely easy to play it in such a way that it didn't really work. Particularly, the vita-chambers meant that even though it may be easier to do things the 'right' way, you can get by by doing things the wrong way and just throwing corpses at the wall until it breaks. Plus, the first two attacks you get in the game were so useful together that a lot of players barely bothered with the later, cooler abilities.

JB1981

The controls were pretty laggy in the 360 demo. I thought the game looked pretty damn good on 360, though. Can't wait to see what Gears 3 looks like on the updated UE.

V_Arnold said:
So you basically do not play adventure games, exploration/puzzle games, and MMO games (outside say WoW, or Aion, or I do not know what qualifies nowadays in the hardcore as "having gameplay" goes)?
Maybe you just like games holding your hand? I sure don't. Games should have some type of challenge.

So far every review has said the same thing about the (lack of) depth in the gameplay. Also, take note of what I said in the demo thread."I will play the game but I don't see it getting deeper." Which seems to be the case.

thetechkid

Been waiting on this game since I saw it at E3 and I'm glad it's almost here. Placed my order on Amazon a few minutes ago and hoping it makes its way out before the 5th.

For the record, I think Alan Wake was horrible. Especially the shitty shooting. Only cool part of the game was the rock concert. That was epic.

Haunted

DaBuddaDa said:
Nobody is saying Enslaved has bad mechanics, just not top of the line. I'd say "decent" is a great adjective.
Exactly.

I've also used the term "good enough". As in, the actual gameplay mechanics are good enough to let the game be carried by the rest of its package (setting, story, characters, presentation etc.)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Despera said:

Playing on Hard...

Where the hell are you guys getting these games? Just mom and pop shops or are larger retailers selling early?

Awesome to hear about the acting. Hell, I loved the line/delivery by Serkis in the demo alone, where Monkey demands his gear :D

Dipswitch

I'm glad this is getting good reviews. I thought the demo did a good job of showcasing the excellent production values. My main concern is still length - anyone beat it yet?

DaBuddaDa

Dipswitch said:
I'm glad this is getting good reviews. I thought the demo did a good job of showcasing the excellent production values. My main concern is still length - anyone beat it yet?
1up said it's 7 hours long, while IGN says it's 11 hours long and GameInformer says 8 to 9 hours.

V_Arnold

CaptYamato said:
Maybe you just like games holding your hand? I sure don't. Games should have some type of challenge.

So far every review has said the same thing about the (lack of) depth in the gameplay. Also, take note of what I said in the demo thread."I will play the game but I don't see it getting deeper." Which seems to be the case.

You pretty much sound like you know your preferences, and that is okay, as long as you do not start to question the points games OUTSIDE your comfort zone get. If you know Enslaved is not your game, ignore it. Does it matter if it gets good reviews if you already made up your mind? Cause you obviously will not be able to alter the review scores.

But having "good gameplay" or having "decent enough" gameplay has nothing to do with holding hands. They can hold your hand in a perfectly designed mechanical shooter or hack'n'slash anytime, you might not even notice - that is a totally different aspect of the game.

Dipswitch

DaBuddaDa said:
1up said it's 7 hours long, while IGN says it's 11 hours long and GameInformer says 8 to 9 hours.

That seems to be about average - was afraid it'd be over in 5 hours or less. I think I'll stick this on my birthday/Christmas wishlist.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Dipswitch said:
That seems to be about average - was afraid it'd be over in 5 hours or less. I think I'll stick this on my birthday/Christmas wishlist.
Its probably about 6 hours. Reviewers always overestimate this stuff.

MjFrancis

Posting up the Ars Technica review.

Enslaved brings an amazing world to life, stutters technically

I'm still not sold on the mechanics, but I'll be playing the demo later today. This will be one of those games I end up playing a few months down the road, unless I'm completely blown away. Ninja Theory has a knack for cinematic flair in videogames, and even if I didn't bother finishing Heavenly Sword, it looked amazing the whole time I spent with it.

Top Bottom