• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Erdogan: Trump apologized to me over brawl between Turkish bodyguards and protesters

The WH confirmed he talked with Erdogan but they explicitly denied that Trump apologized.

(...)

In before Trump: "I apoligized on purpose!"

gdt

I could see it at least implied if only because of Trump's hatred for (left-leaning) protestors.

Yep. This is probably how it happened. Trump started bitching about protesters like he always does and he went too far and Erdogan took it as an apology.

Shadybiz

Yep. This is probably how it happened. Trump started bitching about protesters like he always does and he went too far and Erdogan took it as an apology.

This is my guess. I would certainly like to see the transcript, though, like we saw with Pena Nieto and Turnbull.

I have turkish friends, very reasonable decent peiple who say erdogan is doing good things for turkey outside of the stuff in the news.

Haven't researched enough to know what to.think of him honestly.

I have turkish friends, very reasonable decent peiple who say erdogan is doing good things for turkey outside of the stuff in the news.

He's imprisoning journalists who criticize him under the pretext of them being "Gulen supporters" aka terrorists. That should tell you enough.

Oh I am sure he is doing some good things (i.e., infrastructural stuff), as he is doing many bad things (supporting terrorists in Syria, terrorising the Kurds, imprisoning those who criticise him publically), but he is still a nasty little wanker who is puts his thirst for power before anything else.

Hesemonni

Banned

A Turkish guy I spoke with about Erdogan pretty much equates criticizing Erdogan to criticizing Turkey and Atatürk so tread carefully :/

Erdoğan is saying this to prop himself up to a higher position/ status. "Look at me the padşah and holder of the legacy of Osman and the President of the United States has apologized to me."

Why aren't lazy Greeks doing their own heavy lifting? Stop waiting for others to do your work for you, or quit whinging on gaming forums about how inept your country is.

rXhDjBR.gif

Guy.brush

He's done a lot for the economy and infrastructure. That has been his trump card for quite some time.

How is the tourism working out for him? Heard from lots of folks they would never ever set foot again into Turkey with his regime in power.

He's imprisoning journalists who criticize him under the pretext of them being "Gulen supporters" aka terrorists. That should tell you enough.

Oh I am sure he is doing some good things (i.e., infrastructural stuff), as he is doing many bad things (supporting terrorists in Syria, terrorising the Kurds, imprisoning those who criticise him publically), but he is still a nasty little wanker who is puts his thirst for power before anything else.

He's done a lot for the economy and infrastructure. That has been his trump card for quite some time.

A Turkish guy I spoke with about Erdogan pretty much equates criticizing Erdogan to criticizing Turkey and Atatürk so tread carefully :/

You should research him, just saying. You're in for a big surprise.
Jesus a quick google has told me enough.

One of my turkish friends is my Barber too. Needless to say I won't be shit talking erdogan around them. Probably just gonna avoid the Subject altogether.

Diancecht

Half the people hate Erdogan and the half the people like him. It is absurd to condemn Turkey as a whole. It is like saying every American is racist just because Trump is leading them.

The hell!? Turkish guards assaulted Americans and our President apologizes?! Someone get Colbert or someone to call Trump out on this so we can see some major backpedaling

Horns

It wouldn't surprise me if Trump did say that. The thing is he may or may not have said it, I won't believe him either way because he is a liar.

Biske

Cause you know... America first.

So as long as americans get beaten first, that still counts as America First!!!!

#yolo #yolomagafirst

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Yeah, I don't know if I buy this. This doesn't really fit with Trump's personality.

kmfdmpig

Jesus a quick google has told me enough.

One of my turkish friends is my Barber too. Needless to say I won't be shit talking erdogan around them. Probably just gonna avoid the Subject altogether.

It's a bit like Duterte in the Phillipines. To anyone outside the bubble it's obvious that the leader is a monstrous piece of shit. To those inside the bubble he's the nation's pride and joy and a symbol of everything great about the nation. It's bizarre.

bionic77

White House PR: "Mr. Trump clearly did not apologize to Erdogan and did not rationalize white supremacy. Please stop asking ridiculous questions."

5 minutes later

Trump: "I did apolgize to Turkey and the other side was just as bad!"

Mivey

He was a force for good when he came into office a decade ago. He has become quite the autocrat, with a control of pretty much all media in the country. People are willing to look away, or are being swayed by his propaganda, which has become quite insane (blaming everything on conspiracies). Your friends might be decent people, but they are hurting themselves and their country by unquestionably supporting him.
It's the political fringes and ethnic minorities that suffer the most right now, the masses seem to be quite okay with what he does to their country, unfortunately.

Top Bottom