• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eternal Champions Movie?

Pejo

Can they pull it off? Loved the game back in the day, hope they can do it justice...
Are we talking about the budget Mortal Kombat game Eternal Champions? There's enough there for a movie?

I remember loving the stage fatalities, but outside of that I can't remember anything about individual characters.

digdug2

Are we talking about the budget Mortal Kombat game Eternal Champions? There's enough there for a movie?

I remember loving the stage fatalities, but outside of that I can't remember anything about individual characters.
I remember the 1920's thief character was named Larsen... but yeah that's about it.

El Muerto

Gold Member
The game is underrated, but using it for a movie? Would of been cooler to see a Primal Rage movie instead.

If memory serves, I believe it was different fighters throughout time?? Maybe..

Pejo

If memory serves, I believe it was different fighters throughout time?? Maybe..
I'll be honest, I only really remember the T rex coming down and chomping the loser in the volcano or lava stage lol. Maybe sometime with a squid or seaweed monster pulling the loser underwater and crunching them up or something. It was cool for its time.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Absolutely horrible, C-class shitty fighting game, it was bad then and it's even worse now.
My God, it was the epitome of "we have street fighter at home", absolutely horrible, horrible stuff...

A movie out of it ? Why ? Who still gives a shit in the year 202X ?

Neon Xenon

Man, the rush for video game IPs to adapt into live-action shovelware must be getting desperate if anyone is reaching for Eternal Champions.

There was a time when an Eternal Champions film might have actually been desired, and that was the 1990s, when people actually cared about that particular franchise, in spite of Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat's domination, before it died along with the Sega Genesis. There was some charm to the games; I distinctly remember a Sudden Death (Stage Fatality) where a ticket booth attendant shoots the loser with a pistol and then a shotgun, and I still find that hilarious. But I would be lying through my teeth if I said that I would play either of those two EC games over any Mortal Kombat, definitely not over a Street Fighter II.

Last edited:

Inspector Q

Love the character bios and the music that plays while you read them:

It gives off a somber feeling....which makes sense considering the premise of the game is that all of these characters from wildly different time periods met untimely deaths for one reason or another. Honestly, this is my favorite fighting game from a pure "Lore" perspective besides MK (which continues to get dragged through the mud by NRS...). It's very simple and the series only lasted two games so there really isn't much to it, but I liked the overall idea. The gameplay was....well, let's not talk about that, lol.

As for making a movie out of it...I am not sure that is going to work out too well. Based on the responses in this thread either no one remembers the series or they all think it was trash. Also, I am not even sure I would want to see the type of abomination current day Hollywood would come up with. They seem to destroy most things they touch.

However, this gets me thinking....is Sega going to do something videogame wise with Eternal Champions? This shit seems completely out of the blue.

You're absolutely right. You had a caveman, an Atlantean from BC times, a Salem Witch Trials-era warlock, a 1920's thief, etc.
It was a cool concept, thinking back on it. I can’t remember which magazine at the time had this huge spread with all the back stories to the characters.

I'll be honest, I only really remember the T rex coming down and chomping the loser in the volcano or lava stage lol. Maybe sometime with a squid or seaweed monster pulling the loser underwater and crunching them up or something. It was cool for its time.
Lol, you mentioning that T-Rex stage fatality brings back a memory of a picture in that spread I mentioned up there.

ThaGuy

Love the character bios and the music that plays while you read them:

It gives off a somber feeling....which makes sense considering the premise of the game is that all of these characters from wildly different time periods met untimely deaths for one reason or another. Honestly, this is my favorite fighting game from a pure "Lore" perspective besides MK (which continues to get dragged through the mud by NRS...). It's very simple and the series only lasted two games so there really isn't much to it, but I liked the overall idea. The gameplay was....well, let's not talk about that, lol.

As for making a movie out of it...I am not sure that is going to work out too well. Based on the responses in this thread either no one remembers the series or they all think it was trash. Also, I am not even sure I would want to see the type of abomination current day Hollywood would come up with. They seem to destroy most things they touch.

However, this gets me thinking....is Sega going to do something videogame wise with Eternal Champions? This shit seems completely out of the blue.

Not to mention bone thugs literally took the song and made one of their own lol. That's how inspiring it was.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
im-gonna-look-that-up-google.gif

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Who would they be making this for?
The only people that would remember it are Gen X & Older Millennials like myself and I'm even wondering why.
I mean I enjoyed it for what it was but very few people will actually remember it or care and I don't think the story was good enough to stand on its own.

kunonabi

I mean the premise and the back stories are pretty cool so there is certainly room to do a compelling adaptation of it.

They won't, but still.

Ozzie666

Some nice characters and it was a decent game when it came out at the tail end of 1993. Some of the characters would translate well to the big screen with the ability to jump around different time periods. But I have my doubts on the over quality it might deliver and if this is something anyone outside of a small group would care about. Certainly a 'what the momement'.

Borderlands hold my beer moment?

I would love for Sega to bring it back and design it in the vein of Injustice 2, but they care so little about the IP that they do not even put it in their Genesis collection and they put stuff that would qualify as yesteryear shovelware there.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Game had horrible gameplay, cheap AI and just wasn't fun to play. I had it in 1994, game was in the bargain bin within a few months.

Its almost like they did a spin wheel of dormant IP and this name came up.

Badlucktroll

Gold Member
iu
they need to make movie from that jaguar mortal kombat clone where the guy lifts his kilt and shoots fireballs

Last edited:
Top Bottom