• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ethernet across the apartment?

BossLackey

Gold Member
Our property manager just had Google install fiber terminals in the whole apartment complex.

Problem is, both my wife and I work from home in a different room (installed in master bedroom, we work in guest bedroom).

While I prefer to be hardwired, I could easily make the transition. However, my wife's job requires her to be hardwired in order to be PCI compliant.

I'd love to make the switch to Google Fiber. I'm currently paying $95 for 350mb down, whereas I could get 8gb for $15 less than that from Google.

Would I just string an 80 foot Cat 6 across the apartment during the day? Is there a simpler solution I'm not thinking of?

nush

Would I just string an 80 foot Cat 6 across the apartment during the day? Is there a simpler solution I'm not thinking of?

Are there not LAN adapters that can connect through your power sockets? That used to be a thing.

BossLackey

Gold Member
Are there not LAN adapters that can connect through your power sockets? That used to be a thing.

That was my first thought, but as I've never had experience with these I wasn't sure how stable/reliable they were.

I_D

The power socket things are not nearly as fast as you'd like, in my experience.
Running a CAT6(e) is probably your best bet, especially at that distance.

Since it isn't your property, I wouldn't bother drilling holes and running cable, or anything like that.

BossLackey

Gold Member

Since it isn't your property, I wouldn't bother drilling holes and running cable, or anything like that.

Oh no, I definitely will not be drilling holes.

Mistake

Gold Member
I thought mesh networks are good enough now where you can cable to one of the nodes and it would act the same? I have no idea if it would work for what your wife needs though

Kilau

Just run the cable along the base boards, gently pull the carpet up if needed. You can make it hidden and looking clean.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
You have a fiber box and router? You can easily run a cable if you have multiple ports like a switch.

You obviously need something handing out DHCP/NAT and a lot of modems have a router included.

Stores sell a floor conduit if you need one.

Last edited:

Drew1440

Gh.n powerline adaptors should be OK for most WFH activities, things like Teams meetings, etc. You experiance with them will depend on the topology of the plug sockets, and if they are on different phases (unlikley with an apartment).
Otherwise running the cable might be your only option.

daffyduck

Is there space under the doors to run the cable(s) with them closed? Hugging the walls as much as possible/covering with a mat/rug/conduit as needed.

I’ve used the powerline adapters, but I’m not sure I’d want to use them in an apartment, or that the bandwidth would be satisfying for internet from fibre.

SoloCamo

Get a Flat Cat6 cable and run it around / under your baseboards. It can easily be hidden or at least made not obvious and with cat6 a 100ft run will be fine. I run a 50ft to a 5 port unmanaged switch in my living room area because I avoid wireless when possible. I have zero tape, drill holes, nails, zip ties, etc. holding the flat cable down, it stays in place perfectly.

Something like this will work fine and she will be in compliance.. Add a cheap gig switch in and you both will be wired in the same room.

Powerline adapters are ok but not reliable enough IMO for work purposes - especially if an apartment. Plus the speed penalty.

Last edited:

I_D

Oh no, I definitely will not be drilling holes.

Find some way to run the cable along the edge of the floor/wall (Up the wall and along the ceiling always looks horrible) and into your device.

If you really need to, run a long Cat6e cable to a switch, then Cat5a (or better) from the switch to whatever you need.

cable is the simpliest solution. Just run it along the baseboards.

other option is powerline adapters. Setup is easy. Just don't cheap out and buy ones with low data transfer rate. That's where the speed penalty comes from.

Since I just experienced this last weekend I'll give a warning - if you live in an area with a lot of thunderstorms/lightning, be careful. Lightning can travel through ethernet.

I had like 6 devices connected to a single power strip (not even surge protected I don't think) - but lost a PS5, TV, router. All 3 of these devices were connected with ethernet (wanted the best connection) and all 3 were toast while other devices were fine. Only the router was on too...the others standby.

Didn't think this was possible until last weekend. I now have a new appreciation for Wi Fi

StueyDuck

While you'll never get full speeds, wi-fi mesh technology has reached the point where connecting to the end of one of the satellites will essentially give you as close to full speed as possible.

you then just need to ensure you have no interference within your mesh (bubble). You might just need to set the mesh up as a DMZ to ensure all traffic through it, that is if you are doing any sort of port forwarding, anything along those lines.

Last edited:

Z O N E

Get the flat ethernet cable, not the standard rounded cable and then just run it along the side of a wall and use a hot glue gun or even double-sided sticky tape to keep it on.

While you'll never get full speeds, wi-fi mesh technology has reached the point where connecting to the end of one of the satellites will essentially give you as close to full speed as possible.

you then just need to ensure you have no interference within your mesh (bubble). You might just need to set the mesh up as a DMZ to ensure all traffic through it, that is if you are doing any sort of port forwarding, anything along those lines.

This.

I dealt with crappy wifi in my apartment for years. Switched to a mesh network with 3 pods, everything has been pretty much perfect ever since.

Just have to do the occasional scan to optimize the channel.

SJRB

Gold Member
Powerline adapters are a solid solution but there's quite a bit of speed reduction and the wifi signal is trash unless you opt for the top of the line stuff which is outrageously expensive. Plus you lose power sockets.

Maybe wifi mesh? I used to have powerline adapters but I bought a couple of Asus routers and setup a wifi mesh in the entire house. Blazing fast 5G wifi everywhere I go, plus still the option to connect hardlines when needed.

Last edited:

jonnyp

I've used several different powerline systems and while they were a bit more stable than WiFi from a single router, they were also significantly slower.

Upgraded to a mesh system (TP-Link Deco XE75 Pro) and it's been working amazingly well for close to a year.

Last edited:

CAT6e is overkill. CAT6 is just fine.

Top Bottom