• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Mystery Dungeon |OT| - The Mysterious Adventures of Fight and Heal

Ohnonono

Unlocked the hidden classes, completed a couple DLC quests and set up the tutorial fort. Have the third dungeon open but haven't gone in yet. I think I am going to run some quests for a bit and level up my party/town a little bit.

Will the game let me know before D.O.E.'s become an actual thing that happens? Wouldn't want to be not progressing if it means I am going to suddenly get my town dunked on.

No deaths yet, I have taken out a couple of parties and have a group in a fort so they are getting XP. Really loving the game. Really cool combination of two really fun systems.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Unlocked the hidden classes, completed a couple DLC quests and set up the tutorial fort. Have the third dungeon open but haven't gone in yet. I think I am going to run some quests for a bit and level up my party/town a little bit.

Will the game let me know before D.O.E.'s become an actual thing that happens? Wouldn't want to be not progressing if it means I am going to suddenly get my town dunked on.

No deaths yet, I have taken out a couple of parties and have a group in a fort so they are getting XP. Really loving the game. Really cool combination of two really fun systems.

Its story related when they first show up. So its not that it will drop it on you unexpectedly. So with that in mind feel free to keep wandering around the 1st-3rd dungeons for a while if you want.

Once you hit the
4th dungeon is where your first encounter with the DOEs will start.

Ohnonono

Its story related when they first show up. So its not that it will drop it on you unexpectedly. So with that in mind feel free to keep wandering around the 1st-3rd dungeons for a while if you want.

Once you hit the
4th dungeon is where your first encounter with the DOEs will start.

Thanks! Nice little buffer to help people into the game. That said having played Shiren and some other rogues I think really helped me start this game. As apposed to EO where I had never played Wizardry or a clone.

Laconic

Banned
I'm trying to travel with a different party...what's a good build idea for dancer? They're indispensable in my EO4 party but I have no idea now.

My dancer level 9 has Novice Class Skill 1/1, Regen Waltz 2/5, Dodge 4/5

Level 10 is a given to the next class skill.

TheGrue

You'd think the gunner, being ranged, would shoot more. I believe I remember her shooting through my leader (maybe I imagined it?). But even when not in a line, it seems like she'll just shoot randomly.

Shiina

You'd think the gunner, being ranged, would shoot more. I believe I remember her shooting through my leader (maybe I imagined it?). But even when not in a line, it seems like she'll just shoot randomly.

What I hate the most about ranged classes is them not moving out of the way when they block others. And sometimes it feels like my RM just doesn't want to do anything unless I control her. Generally her damage seems to have dropped off quite a bit compared to the early game. Or rather it didn't go up much at all.

Parakeetman

The AI should not be programmed to attack a non existing target. So if they are shooting in a direction there has to be something on the other side for them to hit.

The AI should not be programmed to attack a non existing target. So if they are shooting in a direction there has to be something on the other side for them to hit.
Yeah that's happened to me. I saw my gunners were shooting at something I didn't see and a few seconds later I saw they defeated some monster off screen.

TheGrue

What I am saying, though, is there is an enemy right there that she could attack and she's not. Can ranged shoot through another party member? Could be the explanation. I have to pay more attention to what is going on when it happens.

What I am saying, though, is there is an enemy right there that she could attack and she's not. Can ranged shoot through another party member? Could be the explanation. I have to pay more attention to what is going on when it happens.

I've noticed if I'm fighting an enemy such that my party is entirely in a hallway, even if the monster is in the open room, only my leader will attack. Despite my gunner literally being one space away from the enemy.
When we are all in the open room they all fight as they should.
It's sort of annoying, but maybe I'm doing something wrong?

spiritfox

They can, but I find that AI does not like doing that for any ranged attacks.

GeekyDad

So the only disappointing part of the game so far is how fucking stupid the AI is, like holy shit stop using skills all time.

Dont worry you will get an option to switch off specific skills, will help a lot.

You get that option right from the beginning.

Ranged units don't automatically shoot/cast while stuck outside of a room. However, you can take control of them and shoot/cast as the leader.

I don't have many real issues with the AI. I think the game was designed for players to take control of the different party members and be more strategic. I think if you're just using one character and trying to rush through every floor, yeah, you're going to find the AI pretty lacking. But if you play the game instead relying on the AI to play it for you, I think it's pretty rewarding.

TheGrue

I've noticed if I'm fighting an enemy such that my party is entirely in a hallway, even if the monster is in the open room, only my leader will attack. Despite my gunner literally being one space away from the enemy.
When we are all in the open room they all fight as they should.
It's sort of annoying, but maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Yeah, I guess in thinking about it, it seems to happen coming out of hallways. If there's one of those spots to spread the party, it's easier to deal with, but if there's an enemy in the room right outside the hallway, no shooting.

As GeekyDad points out, I could move leader to the gunner. I know it's only 4 people, but I do wish I could move between leaders in both directions and not just left to right. It's just a little bit of laziness.

vareon

Ranged units don't automatically shoot/cast while stuck outside of a room. However, you can take control of them and shoot/cast as the leader.

I don't have many real issues with the AI. I think the game was designed for players to take control of the different party members and be more strategic. I think if you're just using one character and trying to rush through every floor, yeah, you're going to find the AI pretty lacking. But if you play the game instead relying on the AI to play it for you, I think it's pretty rewarding.

It's the inconsistencies that's frustrating. Sometimes when all my party is in a room, my Gunner stays on her position and do nothing. Sometimes she moved to get a clear shot. My Wanderer throws rock at enemies even if he's still in a corridor, but my Gunner doesn't take a shot if she's in a corridor, even if it's a straight line. When was I supposed to change leaders, when should I not?

Maybe I missed the pattern, but right now I'm not seeing it.

It's fun in a monster room, though. There's this pew pew and slashing sound out of nowhere and things dropping off screen, lol.

Parakeetman

There are issues with AI. That goes beyond just because the player does not take control of them. Which is an actual gameplay issue. The AI can shoot from the hallway just that for the most part it does not seem to do it. Let alone the melee units moving out on their own accord. Actual AI issues once again. Its the same when the AI literally does not do anything on occasion even when in the same room with the player. Its the one major issue that folks have had with the title for the most part.

The option to turn off specific skills is not available from the start. In the JP version I had to reach a specific point in the game early on which turns on the function to do so.

GeekyDad

The option to turn off specific skills is not available from the start. In the JP version I had to reach a specific point in the game early on which turns on the function to do so.

It was the very first thing I did when I got a full party before even moving any units.

vareon

Damn, Fourth Dungeon. In the end I played it safe and used a Thread right before the final floor...I ran out of supplies. Glad I did so because the equipment unlocks look good.

This isn't like Etrian Odyssey where I can plow through and giggled when an enemy one-shotted my entire party. Haven't died yet but I can see myself playing stupidly safe.

Shiina

Damn, Fourth Dungeon. In the end I played it safe and used a Thread right before the final floor...I ran out of supplies. Glad I did so because the equipment unlocks look good.

This isn't like Etrian Odyssey where I can plow through and giggled when an enemy one-shotted my entire party. Haven't died yet but I can see myself playing stupidly safe.

Good decision and one I should have made myself at the time.

Shiina

What happens if you die in this game? I remember the game saying that I'd lose my equipment or something, so there's no Game Over?

You lose your entire inventory, at least half of your money that's not in the stash and one random item from every character in your party.
And don't try to close the game before you die because it will count as if you did.

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not a big EO/DRPG fan but I love mystery dungeon games and I can't wait to play this.
come on nisa

Kirlia

Banned
You lose your entire inventory, at least half of your money that's not in the stash and one random item from every character in your party.
And don't try to close the game before you die because it will count as if you did.

Wow. Have previous MD games done that?

Ohnonono

Safe is good.

rpmurphy

I know that. But have previous MD games had the whole "if you bail out before you die, you still lose" mechanic?
Yes. In those games, there are exceptions like as long you don't go past a PONR, walking all the way back to the beginning will only reset non-transferrable properties (what these are depends on the game). They have a quick save function for needing to close the game without losing progress.

Shiina

If you use a thread there is no penalty in EMD. There was not really an equivalent in most MD games.

Shame you can't use those in boss rooms.

I'm really not looking forward to the dragons.

Here's an example of what I meant with party members randomly deciding to fuck outta there:

0e62cb205b.jpg

ErichWK

Nope they all should gain the same amounts. If you watch above their heads the amount of exp gained when something dies is displayed.

Am pretty sure its more their exp reqs are different which causes the differences in levels in a party.

Oh shit. So different classes level at different paces??? Interesting.

Parakeetman

Oh shit. So different classes level at different paces??? Interesting.

Most def seems to be the case. Runemaster leveled up like twice already vs my other classes.

Its not too bad though since the game most def does not have a problem dishing out exp to the player! Esp once the DOEs come into play. You do want to fight them in your forts so the supporting AI PT gets the exp from the kill too.

Shiina

What do the striped rooms mean?

It means that you can't build a fort on any of those. It's always the last couple floors before the last one that you can't build them.

Also I suppose rooms/trees that are dead ends work the same way like the one on the right on B3F.

I'm very early (and a Mystery Dungeon veteran of sorts), but I dunno. I think they integrated Etrian Odyssey stuff into this fairly well so far, but I just don't think these games work well with a party setup. I felt this about the first (and only) Pokémon version I played, but brushed it off mostly as it was supposed to be Mystery Dungeon for Beginners.

Anyway, just my first hour thoughts, maybe I'll warm up to it.

never mind Amazon, good guys Future Shop (RIP) and Best Buy haven't either. We in this for the long haul, chrono

Thankfully I canceled my physical order so I don't have to deal with shipping. Added bonus is its cheaper digital since there isn't a Canada Tax on it, and I get it whenever I choose to actually buy the game! All I have to do is figure out if I want this now or if I want to clear my backlog first..

chrono01

never mind Amazon, good guys Future Shop (RIP) and Best Buy haven't either. We in this for the long haul, chrono
This is depressing. :(

Here's hoping things change for us soon. It's strange too, since it's apparently "in-stock" on Amazon. It could just be a distributing issue. It wouldn't be the first time.

But yes, this wait is brutal.

Laconic

Banned
Is there a way to turn off item use/action suggestions?

It is very annoying having to cycle through your party, answering "NO", each time, every round.

Rarely do I give a flying fuck whether my Pally is leg bound.

Parakeetman

Is there a way to turn off item use/action suggestions?

It is very annoying having to cycle through your party, answering "NO", each time, every round.

Rarely do I give a flying fuck whether my Pally is leg bound.

Sorry cant help you there. I need to look that up myself as it is irritating as fuck. Esp when they want to use the wrong goddamned item. Its like putting someone in the ECU due to a papercut kind stupid. lol

The third dungeon boss had me worried toward the end of the battle. I was fresh out of healing items so I was lucky that it died soon after I ran out.
I wish it was easier to tell when I was at an appropriate level for things. I'm starting the next Dungeon now and my party is all about level 9-10.

Parakeetman

The third dungeon boss had me worried toward the end of the battle. I was fresh out of healing items so I was lucky that it died soon after I ran out.
I wish it was easier to tell when I was at an appropriate level for things. I'm starting the next Dungeon now and my party is all about level 9-10.

Lets just put it this way and Im sure Im the abnormal one here. Im lv 20+ and still having issues with the 4th dungeon just due to how fast the
DOEs
keep spawning in lol. I most def must be doing something wrong. Actually I should change up my party to add in the curse maker to replace someone. The normal enemies are not a problem so you should be fine against those. Cept for the fact you might find rooms filled with em lower down in the dungeon lol

Camjo-Z

The first time I died to that boss and thought I was underleveled or something, nearly had the same result the second time, then realized I had a ton of super effective Shocking Sigils that paralyzed him almost every turn. It almost felt like cheating!

Layth

I have Pokemon Mystery Dungeon and Etrian Odyssey 4. Both are among my most played 3DS games.

I'm only a couple of hours into Etrian Mystery Dungeon so far but I'm liking it better than the Pokemon so far. I do however wish there was a 5th party slot.

I wonder if it's a 3DS limitation? Cause 5 characters would mean one extra character on screen and AI isn't very good to begin with and on top of that a 5th character would mean they'd have to scale up enemies so that it's not a total cake walk.

Top Bottom