• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Mystery Dungeon |OT| - The Mysterious Adventures of Fight and Heal

Seventh
Dungeon Boss:
OH GOD SO MUCH CONFUSION. I was not ready at all holy shit.
This dungeon music is so good though. Favorite remix so far for sure. I was kind of getting worried about the soundtrack after three dungeons of overly tense music.

Soo....it kinda is tough going when it comes to bosses in not having a Protector in my main party

It ends up that I have my gunners and Landshark gathered around my Dancer who is the healer/off-attacker. Gets hard when the boss focuses on one of the gunners cause they go down quickly.

Still managed to beat the 3rd dungeon boss and only lost my Dancer at the end.

Soo....it kinda is tough going when it comes to bosses in not having a Protector in my main party

It ends up that I have my gunners and Landshark gathered around my Dancer who is the healer/off-attacker. Gets hard when the boss focuses on one of the gunners cause they go down quickly.

Still managed to beat the 3rd dungeon boss and only lost my Dancer at the end.

RIP me

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
My copy is finally here!

Gonna run with Medic, princess, dancer and can't decide on the last. Any ideas? Protector seems the ideal but I dunno..

EDIT: Oh wait, I wanted a gunner. Never mind, there we go!
Maybe I will swamp out the medic for something if the dancer is enough though.

Brakke

Banned
Named my dancer after Mauricio. ^ ^
used boy sprite though

In fourth dungeon, had an encounter with the DOE. Killed all his adds then hit him for 1 damage... Preeeety sure I missed something about how to approach those so I warped out.

Was getting overwhelmed keeping a full stable leveled / equipped, then I auto-level-styled like 10/15 my people and figured I'd use the fort-defaults. Much less stress now.

vareon

DOE has the same rule of thumb as FOE in Etrian Odyssey: you don't fight them the first time you met them.

Kind of disappointed that the first DOE isn't
Ragelope

Whoever put the original FOE music as a dungeon music is sick, though.

gaiages

Banned
So guys, I have a question.

4th dungeon, the DOE. I simply can't find the damn thing! I've run the dungeon 2-3 times and have beat the boss, but I haven't heard even a peep from this DOE. It hasn't destroyed any of my forts or anything, either... but my DOE radar is always blinking red, no matter what floor I'm on. I have a sidequest to defeat it, and would like to to get it out of the way, but I'm starting to get annoyed by trying to find it.

Am I doing something wrong? Any tips for running into DOEs?

I do like this game, by the way. So addicting!

Just finished the main game, here's a few tips on things I found handy.
  • Disable AI Wanderers from throwing rocks and make sure to move your Sovereign out of the doorway and properly into the room or they'll clog the doorway up with order spam
  • Try to build a scanning fort every 4-5 floors and in the middle column if possible so you get as full a view as possible of the dungeon layout.
  • Normally you can only track DOEs if they're in zones you've already been in, those colored yellow. Forts with scanning range will let you track DOEs even in zones you haven't been in, those colored blue. You are never allowed to make forts on the last 5 floors of a dungeon.
  • Later on, going into a dungeon with 2-3k money will ensure that you'll be able to make as many forts as you need to and let you make longer trips
  • Fighting a DOE with an 8-man party is significantly easier, try to do it as much as possible. You won't be able to directly control the fort party so plan accordingly
  • Landsknecht's Links count as a status ailment on DOEs (i think?)
  • Everything is susceptible to paralysis
  • Don't be afraid to throw all your items and sigils at enemies
  • Final boss tip:
    be ready for confusion and get the left hand first

I am not looking forward to some of these new post game traps.
What do these demon calling and transforming traps do? They don't sound especially nice but I haven't noticed them do anything yet.

chrono01

Miraculously, Amazon.ca shipped mine a day early.
Not here yet though (shipped from the warehouse across the country).

I really have no idea how that company handles shipping.
I'm glad for you. Enjoy!

Mine still hasn't shipped, and I chose "Express" shipping. I'm thinking of contacting them and getting that refunded...

Edit - Never mind, I just checked my order history. It's now "Preparing for Shipment". Finally.

Brakke

Banned
So guys, I have a question.

4th dungeon, the DOE. I simply can't find the damn thing! I've run the dungeon 2-3 times and have beat the boss, but I haven't heard even a peep from this DOE. It hasn't destroyed any of my forts or anything, either... but my DOE radar is always blinking red, no matter what floor I'm on. I have a sidequest to defeat it, and would like to to get it out of the way, but I'm starting to get annoyed by trying to find it.

Am I doing something wrong? Any tips for running into DOEs?

I do like this game, by the way. So addicting!

Build a Search fort or two, it'll put the DOE on the map so you know what level he's in. Use a Light scroll when you're on his level.

Still on the fence about this game and im not sure why.
I like EO but my only exposure to MD series is pokemon mystery dungeon and they were...well shit.
I think thats whats scaring me off.
I had my game shop hold the one and only copy they got in for me until tomorrow night so I could sleep on it.
What say you gaf?
Were the pokemon MD games just poorly made non representitive titles i should forget?

I love this game. Even without real permadeath they still nail the risk vs. reward factor important to roguelikes and everything they added unique to this game provide endless important decisions that the player must make. I find myself thinking hard before making my next move both in and out of dungeons. Things like where to spend the money (forts, equipment, items or facility improvements), what classes to use and their syniergies, when to use items and blast skills (and in what way to apply them too), etc. So many things to consider! I can't get enough of it. And I haven't even gotten to the first DOE yet, which opens up yet more challenges to take care of.

It's a very different game from Shiren, but with its unique ways, it scratches the same itch for deep, strategic roguelike gameplay that I love.

So far I beat the third dungeon with no party wipes yet. Using a wanderer, protector, gunner and runemaster. I have no real issues with the AI so far other than the ranged classes sometimes not attacking in hallways at enemies in their line of sight which is weird.
I disabled most of the skills to prevent the AI from burning TP on common enemies, except the runemaster's since she has enough TP to use them anyway.

Can't wait to play more!

I like EO but my only exposure to MD series is pokemon mystery dungeon and they were...well shit.
I had my game shop hold the one and only copy they got in for me until tomorrow night so I could sleep on it.
What say you gaf?
Were the pokemon MD games just poorly made non representitive titles i should forget?

The Pokemon MDs are pretty much "baby's first roguelike", so yes, you should forget about those.

This game is pretty much the best of the crossover MDs as it combines the strengths of both series beatifully.

jackal27

Banned
I am loving this game so hard! I may even enjoy it more than mainline Etrian Odyssey. It's the only thing able to make me put Monster Hunter 4 down.

Shiina

Just finished the main game, here's a few tips on things I found handy.
  • Disable AI Wanderers from throwing rocks and make sure to move your Sovereign out of the doorway and properly into the room or they'll clog the doorway up with order spam
  • Try to build a scanning fort every 4-5 floors and in the middle column if possible so you get as full a view as possible of the dungeon layout.
  • Normally you can only track DOEs if they're in zones you've already been in, those colored yellow. Forts with scanning range will let you track DOEs even in zones you haven't been in, those colored blue. You are never allowed to make forts on the last 5 floors of a dungeon.
  • Later on, going into a dungeon with 2-3k money will ensure that you'll be able to make as many forts as you need to and let you make longer trips
  • Fighting a DOE with an 8-man party is significantly easier, try to do it as much as possible. You won't be able to directly control the fort party so plan accordingly
  • Landsknecht's Links count as a status ailment on DOEs (i think?)
  • Everything is susceptible to paralysis
  • Don't be afraid to throw all your items and sigils at enemies
  • Final boss tip:
    be ready for confusion and get the left hand first

I am not looking forward to some of these new post game traps.
What do these demon calling and transforming traps do? They don't sound especially nice but I haven't noticed them do anything yet.

Point 2 seems excessive. Point 6 is true but apparently not on all DOEs. Some still don't take any damage even with the link debuff on them. The Rafflesias seem to be an example of that.

Point 2 seems excessive. Point 6 is true but apparently not on all DOEs. Some still don't take any damage even with the link debuff on them. The Rafflesias seem to be an example of that.

Yeah, it does seem to vary what counts as a "status ailment" Like some DOEs become vulnerable when their heads are bound, but not their legs or whatever. Its a little frustrating having to trial and error that.
Also you're right about point 2. I meant to say make sure the forts are spread apart far enough that they don't overlap scanning points, which amounts to about 6 floors for scanning forts.

The
seventh
dungeon's music changed :(

frequency

I'm glad for you. Enjoy!

Mine still hasn't shipped, and I chose "Express" shipping. I'm thinking of contacting them and getting that refunded...

Edit - Never mind, I just checked my order history. It's now "Preparing for Shipment". Finally.

I didn't mean to brag about it or anything. I have plenty shipping troubles with Amazon and even FS/BB.

I just wanted to highlight how stupid Amazon's shipping processes were that someone could get it shipped before release and others have to wait several days after release.

It's pretty ridiculous I had mine shipped with free shipping while you have express and it took this long. I think it may not be particularly useful to pay extra for express.

GeekyDad

What say you gaf?

Played a couple of the DS PMDs, and I thought they were decent games. But honestly, I didn't finish either of them. It was definitely geared toward a young audience with its presentation. If the gameplay wasn't your thing, you might not like this.

KdylanR92

Wow that DOE attacking your city is no joke, was in a dungeon when it happened and got teleported out resulting in me losing some pretty good equipment(my +7 Nodachi:[ ).

My inn got destroyed and its going to take $89,000 to repair and i cant store items and money anymore.

DoT2

Trying to decide between this game, story of seasons and fantasy life. They all look pretty interesting to me and I will probably eventually pick them all up but for now I have to decide on one.. Which one would you choose gaf and why?

Laconic

Banned
Trying to decide between this game, story of seasons and fantasy life. They all look pretty interesting to me and I will probably eventually pick them all up but for now I have to decide on one.. Which one would you choose gaf and why?

Fantasy Life.

Horribad story, but fucking vast amounts of game.

This is coming from a diehard EO fan.

You won't go wrong with any of the three, though, IMO.

chrono01

I didn't mean to brag about it or anything. I have plenty shipping troubles with Amazon and even FS/BB.

I just wanted to highlight how stupid Amazon's shipping processes were that someone could get it shipped before release and others have to wait several days after release.

It's pretty ridiculous I had mine shipped with free shipping while you have express and it took this long. I think it may not be particularly useful to pay extra for express.
Oh, no worries at all. I never meant to imply that you were bragging, so I apologize if it came across as such. :)

But yeah, Amazon.ca and shipping can be..."random". I really wish they'd improve that, especially if you pay a premium for faster shipping. :/

Is "Mauricio" a lady's name? It ends in 'o'! I studied Latin for a while and putting an -o name on a lady felt wrong ;_;

I have two dancers now. I named the second one "Mary".

Mauricio is actually a male name, from Spain or something, I just love the female dancer too much.

Don't worry about it haha, I hope you're enjoying the game... which reminds me that I actually need to play more!

Brakke

Banned
4th dungeon got me flummoxed!

The difficulty in this game is kind of whack. I'm usually not too pressed but if an enemy bops one of your people then they get that "power up" or whatever and then shit spirals out of control *fast*. I haven't had a wipe yet but I have had to bail out one or two levels shy of the bottom twice...

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
4th dungeon got me flummoxed!

The difficulty in this game is kind of whack. I'm usually not too pressed but if an enemy bops one of your people then they get that "power up" or whatever and then shit spirals out of control *fast*. I haven't had a wipe yet but I have had to bail out one or two levels shy of the bottom twice...

Always bring at least one of those scrolls that can reset the enemy status back to normal. Really helps for incidents like that.

duckroll

Cleared the second dungeon (the first one with a boss) so far, and I've been messing around after that with quests and stuff. I like how the game really opens up after a bit. The solo class challenge quests with special rewards are pretty fun. It's really interesting how successfully they've fused the two series. The progression and presentation is a bunch of good stuff about EO dungeon crawling - party creation, classes, collecting materials and selling them to unlock more equipment, mixed with good stuff from MD gameplay - random dungeons, faster and shorter play sessions for each run, lite-rogue elements like hunger, scrolls, and disappearing chests. It's really fun!

Stuff like the fort system and the town redevelopment stuff are good money sinks for establishing longer term goals too.

GeekyDad

Yeah, I have to concede there are issues with the AI. Though I don't agree with all of the complaints, the main issue is the bottlenecking in hallways. The AI sometimes is aggroed and sometimes not. Sure, there could be a few conveniences added to suit the AI more to a particular play style, but those things I can overlook. But the bottlenecking is the only real issue, and it's something that should have been corrected.

Even still, it's got so many great things going for it -- so many little things that make it a time sink.

rpmurphy

Cleared the third dungeon. Those dragonflies though. Almost every time I step into a room with them, they do the swiping attack and nearly kills my lead. :\

Shiina

Cleared the third dungeon. Those dragonflies though. Almost every time I step into a room with them, they do the swiping attack and nearly kills my lead. :\

They never did much against me. I was kinda disappointed because they were flying deathmobiles in Untold expert. Those bunnies from the 6th and buffaloes from the 7th were much worse.

Derkon

Wow, so that 4th dungeon boss is no joke. Any tips for it? Sleep in this game is super OP, like you can get damaged and not wake up for multiple turns. I literally could not do anything.

Oh and a DOE attacking my fort right as I entered the boss floor did not help lol.

Ugh I accidentally had my copy shipped to my parents home and I've been waiting for it to get here from them. This is gonna be my first Mystery Dungeon game (closest thing I think I've played is Sorcery Saga on the Vita and liked that okay) but I love Etrian to death so I'm super hype to get down with this.

Parakeetman

Wow, so that 4th dungeon boss is no joke. Any tips for it? Sleep in this game is super OP, like you can get damaged and not wake up for multiple turns. I literally could not do anything.

Oh and a DOE attacking my fort right as I entered the boss floor did not help lol.

If you have a princess leveled up keep using her song that gives a 1 time protection against any status ailment for X amount of turns.

Its what I did made the fight a lot easier. As the idiot kept trying to do status effects while she kept denying it and everyone else wailed in em. Took a while but cleared it with no issues outside of low mp :D

GeekyDad

Good Lord, the 4th dungeon boss was a meatshield of the first order. Not challenging, really, but it took forever! Goodness...

Derkon

Good Lord, the 4th dungeon boss was a meatshield of the first order. Not challenging, really, but it took forever! Goodness...

Yeah just beat it; I figured out I could position my medic out of range of the status effects, so I just kept group therapy up and it was pretty easy after that :D

KdylanR92

Anybody else's Protector just the most fearless person alive? I will walk into a room with like 6 enemies and she will go fight 4 by herself while my medic and runemaster lame it out in the corner and I fight those beetles that only take 2 damage a turn.

vareon

Beat the 4th dungeon boss. Made a mistake of having my Protector and Wanderer attack from the same direction--the boss attacks both at the same time. So I have P and W on the opposite side, with Gunner directly behind the Protector to support fire and heal status effects. Then I have Runemaster spamming everything he has from a distance.

rpmurphy

I was surprised that the sleep effect seems to be more or less the same as paralysis. I put a monster to sleep and then it just can take continuous damage in that state rather than waking up when it gets hit.

Brakke

Banned
Heh it's cool how we all seem to be of a pace. I took down the 4th boss this morning.

I had a pile of those "launch" items when I got down that. After a cycle of getting rocked by status effects, I managed to keep Skill Seal up on him pretty much through the rest of the fight. My problem hit when the Protector ran out of mana and couldn't provoke. Had to position my people to block him moving into range of my nearly-dead people. Became this leap-frog fall-back plan of dancing back out of range, keeping up skill seal, and plinking away at him. Was really cool!

This game is so close to being everything I want. It's super satisfying a lot of the time but then an arbitrary confusing mess every now and then--still don't have a great strat for getting a party into a room from a jammed hallway. When it clicks though, damn what a cool thing. Wish I could put up party control at-will instead of using Blast points...

vareon

One thing I noticed is how cheap Amrita is---IIRC they're quite expensive early game in EO? Which encourages more skill use in exploration.

Parakeetman

One thing I noticed is how cheap Amrita is---IIRC they're quite expensive early game in EO? Which encourages more skill use in exploration.

Later on the cheap ones will be fairly useless unless you want to carry around a ton, so that will force you to move towards the 1000$ II version instead. Much better payoff when you need TP back now lol.

Top Bottom