• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Mystery Dungeon |OT| - The Mysterious Adventures of Fight and Heal

vareon

The first time I died to that boss and thought I was underleveled or something, nearly had the same result the second time, then realized I had a ton of super effective Shocking Sigils that paralyzed him almost every turn. It almost felt like cheating!

Yeah I keep throwing ever random sigils, scrolls, etc at him. Not the most elegant way but it did the job!

Brakke

Banned
Played a couple hours, to the first fort. Liking it so far I think but I'm having some trouble with this party system. I keep having dudes get stuck in the hall doing nothing... Will keep at it.

What's up with gather skills? Do they apply to the whole party? Or do I have to have the mineralogy guy actually step on the quarry?

Somehow the Protector, Runemaster, Medic and Wanderer in my fort are of higher level than my main crew.

wat

I can only assume my main group which has a Landshark, Two Gunners and a Dancer require much more EXP than the fort crew does.

duckroll

Downloaded the game on the eShop. Played the tutorial. Baby Mystery Dungeon confirmed.

Went back to the title screen. Decided to grab all the free DLC before I forget.

PREPARING SD CARD

Select each DLC individually.

DO YOU WANT TO DOWNLOAD? >YES

YOUR DOWNLOAD HAS COMPLETED >OKAY

Repeat.

Over.

And.

Over.

They're not even real DLC. 2 blocks each! Unlock keys! Took over 5 minutes to go through the entire process. Garbage network design. Thanks Nintendo.

Shiina

Is there a way to turn off item use/action suggestions?

It is very annoying having to cycle through your party, answering "NO", each time, every round.

Rarely do I give a flying fuck whether my Pally is leg bound.

There should be a way to in the options because the first time I came across that feature it asked me if I wanted that it on or off in the future.

Garbage network design. Thanks Nintendo.

I wonder if that's Nintendo's or Atlus' fault because SMT IV had the same cumbersome design.

Ohnonono

Kept grinding out quests in the second dungeon last night and letting my teams level up. What would people say is the most important building to level up? I was thinking whatever let be build the better fort. Letting D.O.E's get to the fort and 8 manning them seems to be the preferred method of taking them out and though I am certainly not broke, I can see how gold could become an issue if you are trying to get great gear for your classes and also keep up with forts/construction and stuff.

Game is still rad. Very easy to pick up and play for a little dive. Much less punishing than other MD games for sure, but with challenge at some point I am sure. Pretty excited to unlock some of the special post game dungeons with more standard MD rules.

Shiina

Kept grinding out quests in the second dungeon last night and letting my teams level up. What would people say is the most important building to level up? I was thinking whatever let be build the better fort. Letting D.O.E's get to the fort and 8 manning them seems to be the preferred method of taking them out and though I am certainly not broke, I can see how gold could become an issue if you are trying to get great gear for your classes and also keep up with forts/construction and stuff.

Game is still rad. Very easy to pick up and play for a little dive. Much less punishing than other MD games for sure, but with challenge at some point I am sure. Pretty excited to unlock some of the special post game dungeons with more standard MD rules.

3* guild is important because it unlocks a fort with a geomagnetic pole which will come in handy for the longer dungeons. 4* or 5* gives you the Holy Gift burst which is neat because it doubles exp gain and increases the drop chance of stuff for 5 turns.

Upgrading the inn increases your bag space every second upgrade, among other, less useful stuff.

Upgrading the restaurant gives you new food (which has been somewhat meh so far) and gives you quests that require seemingly rare materials but give very good money, making the upgrade more or less free.

And upgrading the market gives you access to better/more crafted items.

Ohnonono

3* guild is important because it unlocks a fort with a geomagnetic pole which will come in handy for the longer dungeons. 4* or 5* gives you the Holy Gift burst which is neat because it doubles exp gain and increases the drop chance of stuff for 5 turns.

Upgrading the inn increases your bag space every second upgrade, among other, less useful stuff.

Upgrading the restaurant gives you new food (which has been somewhat meh so far) and gives you quests that require seemingly rare materials but give very good money, making the upgrade more or less free.

And upgrading the market gives you access to better/more crafted items.

Thanks, I will work on the guild before/during 3rd Dungeon so I am ready for 4ths apparent jump in difficulty.

There should be a way to in the options because the first time I came across that feature it asked me if I wanted that it on or off in the future.

I wonder if that's Nintendo's or Atlus' fault because SMT IV had the same cumbersome design.

The DLC interface is Nintendo (Fire Emblem Awakening has the same crappy interface, its just a little less trying since the DLC content isn't just unlock keys). The decision to put each of these micro-contest quests as individual DLC is on Atlus.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Downloaded the game on the eShop. Played the tutorial. Baby Mystery Dungeon confirmed.

Went back to the title screen. Decided to grab all the free DLC before I forget.

PREPARING SD CARD

Repeat.

Over.

And.

Over.

They're not even real DLC. 2 blocks each! Unlock keys! Took over 5 minutes to go through the entire process. Garbage network design. Thanks Nintendo.

yeah never really liked that design at all. with all that wii money they had you would think they would hire someone to make a system that isnt shit.

Laconic

Banned

I saw that too.

But it was so early on, and vague, that I was uncertain as to whether or not it would be a good idea.

And now it is perma-tedium, it seems.

duckroll

Got my first mission, decided to jump right into the second dungeon. Died horribly. Decided to try the first dungeon again, shortly after my paladin met an untimely end. Carried on with 3 people, met a Hexer in the dungeon and got him to join Guild duckrolls. Went to the second floor. Started running out of food and getting hungry. Made my way out of the dungeon and back to town, almost randomly dying by accident because the first floor was repopulated again.

Yay! It's a mystery dungeon game after all! :p

duckroll

I saw that too.

But it was so early on, and vague, that I was uncertain as to whether or not it would be a good idea.

And now it is perma-tedium, it seems.

I think it's "command interrupt" in the options. It's not so much a suggestion, but rather an interrupt to let you choose targets when the AI is about to do something which has multiple targets. So if you turn it off, I think the AI will just automatically use items and select targets to attack on their own.

Ohnonono

Got my first mission, decided to jump right into the second dungeon. Died horribly. Decided to try the first dungeon again, shortly after my paladin met an untimely end. Carried on with 3 people, met a Hexer in the dungeon and got him to join Guild duckrolls. Went to the second floor. Started running out of food and getting hungry. Made my way out of the dungeon and back to town, almost randomly dying by accident because the first floor was repopulated again.

Yay! It's a mystery dungeon game after all! :p

MD stories are good stories. Best thing about the games is sharing the moments of sheer terror that you make it out of by the skin of your teeth. Or the toss of a scroll.

Laconic

Banned
I think it's "command interrupt" in the options. It's not so much a suggestion, but rather an interrupt to let you choose targets when the AI is about to do something which has multiple targets. So if you turn it off, I think the AI will just automatically use items and select targets to attack on their own.

Thanks, for that!

I'll look for that in the options.

vareon

>My Runemaster's turn

"Do you want to use Medica II on Protector?"

No, she doesn't look so bad, a regular medica should suffice.

>Choose no.

>Runemaster proceeds to poke a nearby enemy with his stick.

ಠ_ಠ

Laconic

Banned
>My Runemaster's turn

"Do you want to use Medica II on Protector?"

No, she doesn't look so bad, a regular medica should suffice.

>Choose no.

>Runemaster proceeds to poke a nearby enemy with his stick.

ಠ_ಠ

'Tis hard on us EO vets.

We're used to Control Freaks Assemble: The Game, after all.

The AI in this otherwise lovely game, is on some straight Pinky, Pinky, Pinky & The Brain levels of nonsense.

ys45

I read the manual yesterday and there is 2 things I'm not sure I like

1. You don't control your whole party
2. That doe defense stuff seems annoying having to constantly defend the town

And people seems to have issue with AI ? I hope it's not that bad .

Parakeetman

Lets just put it this way. Dont expect the AI to play the game for you.

Somehow the Protector, Runemaster, Medic and Wanderer in my fort are of higher level than my main crew.

wat

I can only assume my main group which has a Landshark, Two Gunners and a Dancer require much more EXP than the fort crew does.

Two Gunners?

man you like that class.

I named my Landshark after you.

tuffy

I haven't found the AI to be particularly stupid so far; it's just hard to get everybody to work as a team when the AI is always doing whatever seems best on that particular turn. I wish I could take the reins and cycle through everybody's actions when things start getting serious.

Ohnonono

I haven't found the AI to be particularly stupid so far; it's just hard to get everybody to work as a team when the AI is always doing whatever seems best on that particular turn. I wish I could take the reins and cycle through everybody's actions when things start getting serious.

You can save up and use Burst to do this in situations that seem to require it.

Parakeetman

I don't expect this but I hope the AI will not be a nuisance and will not cause an handicap .

When you start to find them at least carry around 1 scroll which will call your party members back to you. Since Ive seen it too now when one will run off in some random direction for no reason lol.

It depends how much you are willing to put up with bullshit. But asides from that they are not too bad.

Ah, quite right. Though it is a little amusing that thinking for the whole team is powerful enough that you've got to use the Burst gauge for it.

You could pretty much roflstomp the game if it allowed you to give everyone commands constantly with how the skills work. So can most def see why its a burst action.

So wait...with all these forts being made at the top of dungeons and an ever-expanding cap to the number of guild members I can have, am I gonna have to constantly be making new members/inviting wandering ones in?

'Cause that seems sort of annoying. I've got one character of each class right now and it seems like a huge amount of tedium to continue making throwaway peeps and equipping them just so they can sit on some bricks.

Parakeetman

So wait...with all these forts being made at the top of dungeons and an ever-expanding cap to the number of guild members I can have, am I gonna have to constantly be making new members/inviting wandering ones in?

'Cause that seems sort of annoying. I've got one character of each class right now and it seems like a huge amount of tedium to continue making throwaway peeps and equipping them just so they can sit on some bricks.

I pretty much have all of my characters made that I want to use and got them outfitted with the stupid amount of extra gear I constantly have from dungeon runs. Its not that bad of an issue really. Sides most of the main fighting when they assist with DOE fights if you do drag it back to the fort will be done by your team while they just are like either meat shields or distractions lol.

Since they gain exp too while assigned to forts its not like its time wasted by leaving people there. Esp when you will need someone else to swap out in your party if necessary.

Ohnonono

I pretty much have all of my characters made that I want to use and got them outfitted with the stupid amount of extra gear I constantly have from dungeon runs. Its not that bad of an issue really. Sides most of the main fighting when they assist with DOE fights if you do drag it back to the fort will be done by your team while they just are like either meat shields or distractions lol.

Since they gain exp too while assigned to forts its not like its time wasted by leaving people there. Esp when you will need someone else to swap out in your party if necessary.

It also seems like good advise maybe to leave classes that are less dependent on equipment at the forts. It is a great place to level up Dancers, Royalty types, Hexers and such.

PREPARING SD CARD

Repeat.

Over.

And.

Over.

Thankfully it's just the 3ds with garbage dlc design.

It is definitely Nintendo's fault. The garbage design is incredibly consistent between every title with dlc on it. Some of which also forces you to download an UPDATE just to get the new dlcs

Parakeetman

It also seems like good advise maybe to leave classes that are less dependent on equipment at the forts. It is a great place to level up Dancers, Royalty types, Hexers and such.

I have so much crap it doesnt really matter at this point lol.

When I started out I just left folks I didnt use there and had them equip the fort generics. Since its not like we ran into DOEs from the start anyways. :D

duckroll

Apparently you do get to control your whole party on boss floors. They get split into individual units and get their own turns, like a SRPG!

Apparently you do get to control your whole party on boss floors. They get split into individual units and get their own turns, like a SRPG!

Yeah, for bosses you control everybody individually, and I believe there's also a Burst skill that allows you to control them individually on a floor but only for 10 turns or something.

Shiina

Yeah, for bosses you control everybody individually, and I believe there's also a Burst skill that allows you to control them individually on a floor but only for 10 turns or something.

And that's a good thing because every time I use that skill and have leftover turns after killing a DOE or so I'm suddenly glad that they act independently the rest of the time.

GeekyDad

What's up with gather skills? Do they apply to the whole party? Or do I have to have the mineralogy guy actually step on the quarry?

I believe you'll want to have the character who has the ability leveled grab the take spots in order to reap the benefits.

Parakeetman

Played a couple hours, to the first fort. Liking it so far I think but I'm having some trouble with this party system. I keep having dudes get stuck in the hall doing nothing... Will keep at it.

Yeah as GD said you most def want the person with the skill learned to step on the resource which will allow for gathering more than the single value of not having the skill learned.

AI has issues with hallways, which is why always if possible try to get everyone out of them if you are expecting or in combat.

The boss fights are great fun.

The dungeon crawls are also great fun until one of your AI dudes does something incredibly stupid and then you sigh.

But the music is soooooo gooooood.

vareon

What's the good strategy on building forts? Always have one on first floor and build more on "intersections"? And what does leaving equipment to a fort means?

Parakeetman

What's the good strategy on building forts? Always have one on first floor and build more on "intersections"? And what does leaving equipment to a fort means?

Depending on the fort type it comes with "generic" equipment you can have those characters wear if you have none of your own to equip them with.

With the depth of the dungeon I build and destroy forts to get a foothold deeper down so I can start from a location further in the dungeon and not waste resources fighting my way through. Though generally always keep 1 fort at the very top for whatever reason. Also move the fort party accordingly.

Man, I love the art in this game. Glad I'm finally getting into one of these games. <3

So far I'm rocking Protector, Gunner, Runemaster and Dancer. The AI hasn't been treating me so bad, but a friendly reminder that you guys should probably turn auto skills off - my runemaster sure loves wasting TP overkilling things with fireballs.

How tough is the dlc, by the way? They all mention double speed and I'm not really sure if I'm up to that task yet.

Ohnonono

Man, I love the art in this game. Glad I'm finally getting into one of these games. <3

So far I'm rocking Protector, Gunner, Runemaster and Dancer. The AI hasn't been treating me so bad, but a friendly reminder that you guys should probably turn auto skills off - my runemaster sure loves wasting TP overkilling things with fireballs.

How tough is the dlc, by the way? They all mention double speed and I'm not really sure if I'm up to that task yet.

Some of the DLC quests are in the first couple dungeons and I think a couple are repeatable. Worth getting.

Brakke

Banned
I believe you'll want to have the character who has the ability leveled grab the take spots in order to reap the benefits.

Maaaaaaan that suuuuucks. I definitely have had the party AI just trample nodes before. Guess I'll just have to be careful going forward. I don't have a good sense at all of how much I should be putting into father skills.

Anyone else find the sixth dungeon's boss weirdly nonthreatening? It just kept stampeding itself into a corner. I don't even think it did any real damage to my party. It was way less of a pain than
all those rabbits spamming their room wide thunder spells and the owls hypnotizing my protector into throwing his equipment across the room.

vall03

Ok, 4th Dungeon, is serious business. The difficulty suddenly ramped up. There's also the constant FOE battle theme playing which really shows how dangerous the dungeon is. Then the boss, fuck that shit! Just got lucky defeating that thing when my supplies ran out. Thinking of changing my party set-up. There's something wrong/missing with it that I suddenly had trouble with both normal and boss enemies. Have to rethink about this tomorrow.

Shiina

Anyone else find the sixth dungeon's boss weirdly nonthreatening? It just kept stampeding itself into a corner. I don't even think it did any real damage to my party. It was way less of a pain than
all those rabbits spamming their room wide thunder spells and the owls hypnotizing my protector into throwing his equipment across the room.

So far everything but the fourth has been disappointing difficulty-wise.

KdylanR92

Picked this up yesterday and played up till the first boss and to be honest I thought this was gonna be horrible, having played all the other Etrian Odyssey games I thought the Pokemon mystery dungeon(are their other games like this in the genre?) style was gonna be dumb.

But I was wrong, I think they did a great job on mixing elements from both games, specifically how they kept the hub world mostly the same as the main series games, along with the skill trees for each class.

As for the dungeons having played 2 or 3 of the Pokemon variant I was kinda familiar with how they would work and was delighted with how they incorporated themes and design choices from exploring dungeons in the main Etrian Odyssey games.

Top Bottom