• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City |OT| -- Fight & Heal Sail the Open Seas!

slayn

needs to show more effort.
sundrenched said:
Oh has anyone beaten the gold FOE yet? Supposedly it gives 15k but it runs away so fast :(
I've killed 2 and it gave me 5k exp. Both of the ones I killed were in the first stratum. Maybe it goe sup by 5k each stratum or something?

Althane

slayn said:
I've killed 2 and it gave me 5k exp. Both of the ones I killed were in the first stratum. Maybe it goe sup by 5k each stratum or something?

How do I find this gold FOE and get 5k EXP in a single fight?

*drool*

Barbarian

lyre said:
"The icons is more what you'd call 'guidelines' than actual symbols. Welcome aboard the Etrian series, Barbarian. "

This seems to be thc consensus. I guess I just need to accept that there is no "right way" to use the map icons and enjoy the game.

Shouldn't be too hard, as the game is awesome!

Most of the Icons seem to be pretty much blatantly obvious, so while you can use them for anything, i don't see why you would use anything other than the pickaxe for a mine spot, the tent for a camp, the hand for a take spot, the doorway for a doorway, the double arrows for hidden passages, etc.

slayn

Althane said:

*drool*
I'm somehwat uncertain, but they seem to appear on any map that you have camped on. They appear on the map as a gold FOE, the move 1 square for every... 5 steps you take I think.

They move through walls and won't show up on the map if they are 'inside' a wall. When moving on the map they always move away from you, so chasing them down can be a bitch. The one on the first floor, for example, is almost always there for me but it starts in the empty space in the middle so you won't see it unless you sit around for a while.

The actual creature is a little white puffball that runs away.

Fishious

slayn said:
Althane said:

*drool*
I'm somehwat uncertain, but they seem to appear on any map that you have camped on. They appear on the map as a gold FOE, the move 1 square for every... 5 steps you take I think.

They move through walls and won't show up on the map if they are 'inside' a wall. When moving on the map they always move away from you, so chasing them down can be a bitch. The one on the first floor, for example, is almost always there for me but it starts in the empty space in the middle so you won't see it unless you sit around for a while.

The actual creature is a little white puffball that runs away.

I'm not entirely certain myself, but it doesn't seem like you need to camp for them to appear (if thats what you were suggesting). An NPC tells you that explorers often see them after camping, but that may just mean they come out at night. I've killed two on the first floor, both times without camping and at night.

As for actually fighting them, the one in the first stratum has relatively low hp, low attack, and absurd defense. As Slayn said, they tend to run. Because they move slowly on the map it's not very hard to get a preemptive attack on them. I've been using them to level my farmers who have eared daggers with triple foot bind (someone suggested this a few pages back except with poison so thanks for the idea). Still it comes down to luck whether the bind takes hold or if the FOE decides to be stupid and attack.

I've seen a gold FOE on floor 5, but haven't been able to catch it yet due to the fact that most of the paths are narrow.

slayn

you don't have to camp each time you want it to show up, but I'm almost positive it won't show up until you have camped on a given floor at least once

edit: even the ones in the 4th stratum only give 5k exp so I don't know why you would bother chasing them down at this point.

kurohana

slayn said:
you don't have to camp each time you want it to show up, but I'm almost positive it won't show up until you have camped on a given floor at least once

edit: even the ones in the 4th stratum only give 5k exp so I don't know why you would bother chasing them down at this point.
I haven't camped on any floor of the third stratum yet, but I've seen them appear. The only requisite might be that the floor has to contain a camping spot.

It's right there man, sitting on a shelf in a store ten minutes away from my apartment. I could be playing this now!

Man God said:
I came really close to buying two copies just to have. :lol

I could buy two copies, and when my pre-order arrives in the mail, keep the artbook but give the other copy to a friend. If they get into it, I could have someone to play multiplayer with! Ha!

I'm really grasping at straws to justify this un-needed purchase, I should be patient.

I'm guessing there won't be much cross-over between the Venture Bros. and Etrian Odyssey fanbases but how awesome would it be to have The Guild of Calamitous Intent led by a Prince named The Sovereign? You could have a pair of Zodiacs for The Monarch and Dr. Girlfriend/Dr. The Mrs. Monarch, a Hoplite named Baron Underbheit, a Wildling named King Gorilla. A ninja named Molotov Cocktease. It all just writes itself. Or would, if not for the limit.

I still haven't named my damned guild, I've been playing TF2 with my DS sitting on desk in front of me, closed at that screen. I don't know why I agonise so much over something so trivial. It's the same with characters.

That's why I just set up a singular organization in my mind and pretend that all the different games I play that involve group naming are branches of that Organization.

Alternatively, mash the keyboard and enter whatever comes up into your game.

The Guild names in my previous games were kind of hokey, Mortalis and Shiren respectively, so I didn't use them. I found an online english to latin dictionary, entered in a few words--explore, explorers, navigate, conquer--and chose the result that I liked the most that fit the text limit. Guild Domitor. Tamer, conqueror, victor.

Now inane pop culture and gaming references shall name my guild members. My bet is there's a purple haired princess that I can name Galadriel.

Fishious

I finally caught a gold FOE on floor 5 (I've also seen one on 6), but he used self destruct :(

It's gonna suck if I have to wait a few weeks for him to respawn. And no I didn't get any exp from that.

Continuing the pop culture train the first thing that came to mind when I hit the third stratum was
Professor! Lava! HOT!!!

The guild in EO III's was the same in II, LuSpeed, a contraction of my WoW guild's name with characters named after members. Odd thing, now not a single one is (probably since most quit like I did).

Astaroth (Gladiator) <---- NO AXES. DID NOT DO RESEARCH. :lol
Friedrich (Prince)
Grace (Buccaneer)
Egg (Monk) <--- Had just rewatched Big Trouble in Little China
Shepard (Farmer)
Ceilidh (Zodiac)
Moolah (Farmer)
Cashier (Farmer)

Got that Zodiac up and hitting for hurt like whoa now. Been a thing for me to have my mages nuke like they're dual wielding freight trains, but this one is nastier than most.

Right now I'm trying to see what subclass combinations will help me break the game.

Ninja + Zodiac subclass = 1 TP Dark Ethers. Heck YES

Althane

So what exactly do people call their farmers?

Mine:
Cashew (M)
Cashatita (F)
Cashtown (M)
Cashina (F)

So yeah.

Cashew is a mix between a combat and a gathering farmer.

Edit: I never did update guild profiles today. Maybe tomorrow when I'm in class.
Anyways:

Schlock (Gladiator): From Schlock Mercenary. He's brown, and he's a damage dealer.
Bunni (Monk): Healer. From Schlock Mercenary (She's the doctor of the crew).
PDCL (Arbalist): Long range firepower? PDCL is the name of a ship that the crew in Schlock Mercenary gets.
Cashew (Farmer): I've got a cruel sense of humor.
Tagon (Prince): Leader of the crew in Schlock Mercenary.
Taurus (Zodiac): ... yeah. I wasn't creative.
Marvinny (Hoplite): Tank in my WOW guild. Best tank I know, so....
Kobayashi (Ninja): ... yeah....
Simon (Buccaneer): Dude, the portrait totally looks like Simon from TTGL.
Mononoke (wildling): ... yeah...
Cashina (Farmer): See Cashew.
Cashatita (farmer): Was supposed to be "Casharita"...
Cashtown (Farmer): ... I got uncreative.

Althane

Is there any way to decrease the amount of encounters you get at a gathering point?

Edit: God dammit... just died on a gathering run and realized I hadn't saved.

Finding out how much I lost sucks.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Althane said:
Is there any way to decrease the amount of encounters you get at a gathering point?

Edit: God dammit... just died on a gathering run and realized I hadn't saved.

Finding out how much I lost sucks.

Step off.

So whats the best way to do Monk? Do I go all healing, all combat, or a mix of the two?
What about Zodiac? What elements are most useful?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Pinko Marx said:
So whats the best way to do Monk? Do I go all healing, all combat, or a mix of the two?
What about Zodiac? What elements are most useful?

Mix or all healing if you're gonna toss him/her in the back.

Look at your other dudes and see what elements your missing.

Conversely, dump one point into a mastery, one point into the level one attack and go all out for METEOR and the class specific skill. :lol

It actually does work because the supporting damage from the rest of your skills=big huge damage on even wimpy elemental hits if they hit weakness or are charged up.

I don't know what I'm going to roll with, so I made one of each class.

Princess - Galadriel
Zodiac - Raistlin
Ninja - Kunoichi
Wildling - Tam Tam
Bucaneer - Mugen
Gladiator - Fuu
Arbalist - Yoko
Hoplite - Seraph
Monk - Gouken
Farmer - Jerin

Raistlin is the name I've given every mage-type character in all of the Etrian Odyssey's.

Althane

jaundicejuice said:
Raistlin is the name I've given every mage-type character in all of the Etrian Odyssey's.

Raistilin (note the misspelling) is the name I've given every mage on an MMO. =P

(the misspelling is because Raistlin is usually already taken)

Lost ~.25 of a level on my main characters, some quest completion, so I'd say around a total of an hours worth of play. Not too bad as far as these things roll.

It was around 2k en though. =(

Althane

The_Technomancer said:
Yeah, just got through the third floor, and the grind is definitely easing off a bit. The second floor is always the worst.

It's the first time you get an upgrade in enemies, before you probably have enough power and TP to make the leap without struggling a lot.

Each floor to floor transition is difficult... but the first to second is... ugh.

Althane said:
Raistilin (note the misspelling) is the name I've given every mage on an MMO. =P

(the misspelling is because Raistlin is usually already taken)

reminds me of all those legolas, legolis, legolos, legoolas, legolus, or legolols you meet in mmorpgs.

a real pain.

Althane

Augemitbutter said:
reminds me of all those legolas, legolis, legolos, legoolas, legolus, or legolols you meet in mmorpgs.

a real pain.

=(

I was like... 11! And I'm sort of a sucker for habit.

Arsin

So I picked this up the yesterday (they were out of the art book T_T) after all the good things I was reading here and I have some questions. I just finished all the quests on the second floor, but I do not see any new ones. Should I just head to the 3rd floor or am I missing something? I am really loving the game so far and I am excited to get deeper into the game play mechanics.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Arsin said:
So I picked this up the yesterday (they were out of the art book T_T) after all the good things I was reading here and I have some questions. I just finished all the quests on the second floor, but I do not see any new ones. Should I just head to the 3rd floor or am I missing something? I am really loving the game so far and I am excited to get deeper into the game play mechanics.

You get new quests every level you descend.

Chemo

Augemitbutter said:

a real pain.
Yeah, this always bothered me, but I laughed my ass off when I saw Leggomyeggolas on FFXI in like 04.

Not to swing this off topic or anything, I'm mostly here to read impressions... I'll get around to this game in a month or two. :(

sphinx

the piano man
I named my EO1 characters after classical composers ( Mozart, Debussy, Ravel, etc. ) and my EO2 characters afters Ice figure skaters ( Kwan, Plushenko, kerrigan, etc )

any suggestions about what theme should I use for EO3?

cicero

sphinx said:
I named my EO1 characters after classical composers ( Mozart, Debussy, Ravel, etc. ) and my EO2 characters afters Ice figure skaters ( Kwan, Plushenko, kerrigan, etc )

any suggestions about what theme should I use for EO3?
Keep that whole trend going and start using abbreviated album titles from the Liberace discography as character names.

sundrenched

Neo Member
jaundicejuice said:
So what's the deal with the equipable books? Do you learn techniques from them if you wield, or simply carry, them in battle?

I don't think you learn spells, at least I haven't seen any effect yet. They seem to be pretty good for zodiacs since they tend to have slots that increase TP and other weapon attributes like fire and all.

Have you guys decided which ending you will be aiming for? I'm pretty confused as to how new game+ works because I've been avoiding spoilers. I want to go for the "true" ending but the other 2 endings give the new classes :(

Yeah, I noticed the TP boost and equipped the book on my Zodiac.

Right now I'm rolling with a Buccaneer, Princess, Gladiator, Zodiac and Arbalist. With no dedicated healer I'm currently relying on a combination of Royal Veil and basic healing items to see me through general encounters. I don't know how well this current party build will work when I encounter a FOE or the Stratum boss. I initially had my Princess in the front row but that pretty much meant Royal Veil never took effect because she never had full health. I've got her in the back row with the Zodiac and Arbalist currently. I might try swapping the Arbalist into the front row once I get some better equipment and learn Front Mortar. Also trying to get my Buccaneer to learn slash chase to work in conjunction with my Princess and Gladiator.

Really digging the game thus far.

sundrenched

Neo Member
Oh I feel like a real idiot!!

At the skills section, I just realise that they have a "C" tab and when you press it, you get to Common skills. There you can learn Combat Study that allows your character to gain EXP even when its not in your active party! And there is also TP up!! Just a heads up for didn't know about this

sundrenched said:
Have you guys decided which ending you will be aiming for? I'm pretty confused as to how new game+ works because I've been avoiding spoilers. I want to go for the "true" ending but the other 2 endings give the new classes :(

At one point, you will be asked to make a choice between two Missions. What you choose will affect the class you get, and how the storyline plays out. The class you unlock will carry over to New Game+ so you can later make the other choice without worrying.

As for the 'true' ending, Atlus have decided in their boundless wisdom that you don't get to see it until you've done the other two routes. Have fun.

Top Bottom