• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City |OT| -- Fight & Heal Sail the Open Seas!

Ela Hadrun

Probably plays more games than you
Althane said:
Second stratum spoilers:

Yeah, but you kill the Ninja-dude if you do. Don't tell him about the nest, and you kill her. Tell him about the nest, and you kill him. Yeah.

(As far as I've found so far)

:(

Althane

B8F. Those turtles are...

Fuck.

So I'm wondering about switching someone out for a Zodiac, but I'm not sure who I should swap out.

I need my monk for high heals, my Prince is useful for saving TP on the Monk (And does so-so damage and healing himself), my Hoplite is what keeps me alive... hum.

Maybe I'll try swapping out my gladiator?

Teknoman

I really hope this doesnt become rare and expensive after awhile. I still havent finished the second one, and i've got a couple of handheld rpgs in my backlog.

Althane

Teknoman said:
I really hope this doesnt become rare and expensive after awhile. I still havent finished the second one, and i've got a couple of handheld rpgs in my backlog.

It most likely will. Just like the first two.

It IS an Altus game, y'know.

Teknoman

Althane said:
It most likely will. Just like the first two.

It IS an Altus game, y'know.

I know, thats why i'm holding onto false hope :lol I'll probably just grab it anyway, just like SMT Strange Journey...then again i did snag EO II for like 10 bucks at that Amazon gold box sell via a GAF heads up.

sphinx

the piano man
You can wait some months before buying EO3 if you feel your backlog is too big but make no mistake, this will turn rare sooner than later.

for instance, Ebay sellers know EO II was a NA-only release in the west and that citizens of europe and latinamerica will pay good money to have it, they price the game accordingly.

if you are in the US, I'd say you can relax and buy later, even if the game gets a bit pricier as time passes. Otherwise better do it quick cause you'll be paying over 60 bucks for it when it turns rare.

Teknoman

sphinx said:
You can wait some months before buying EO3 if you feel your backlog is too big but make no mistake, this will turn rare sooner than later.

for instance, Ebay sellers know EO II was a NA-only release in the west and that citizens of europe and latinamerica will pay good money to have it, they price the game accordingly.

if you are in the US, I'd say you can relax and buy later, even if the game gets a bit pricier as time passes. Otherwise better do it quick cause you'll be paying over 60 bucks for it when it turns rare.

Yeah i'm just going to go ahead and pick it up tomorrow.

mrpeabody

I'm having more fun in this game than I did in EO2. The art is gorgeous, there's shitloads to do, and the classes seem a bit better balanced. Early-game tip: If money is tight, roll a couple of extra Farmers with Harvestry and chop till you drop.

The ship game is weird. It's basically EO minus combat, in other words 100% exploration. I love it but it's so...easy.

edit: I love that quests give experience.

mrpeabody

So, Combat Study is you get XP when inactive? From the description I thought it was just extra XP for battles. Kind of a waste on my main characters then.

Another question: How does resting work? It says you get to respec and you lose five levels. But do you lose five skill points as well? Otherwise it seems like a neverending fountain of skill points.

Best skill name: Slap Awake. That Gladiator with an arm missing and his skull split in half? Oh, he's not dead. He's just napping.

Althane

mrpeabody said:
So, Combat Study is you get XP when inactive? From the description I thought it was just extra XP for battles. Kind of a waste on my main characters then.

Another question: How does resting work? It says you get to respec and you lose five levels. But do you lose five skill points as well? Otherwise it seems like a neverending fountain of skill points.

Best skill name: Slap Awake. That Gladiator with an arm missing and his skull split in half? Oh, he's not dead. He's just napping.

Resting: Return to level N-5, get N-5+3 (at least, unless you've retired) skill points.

So yes, you lose the five skill points. C'mon, they're not stupid man. =P

And yes, Combat Study is XP when you're inactive. Not so useful on the main party.

Chozo

Got to the point where I can multiclass: now I'm basically stuck because I can't decide how I want to multiclass my party =|. Probably going to go Princess/Monk (for reasons Man God stated), and Arbalist/Ninja ("hi, I have Giant Kill maxed and now there are two of me to ruin your day"), but I'm not sure which way to go with the other three: Hoplite is basically either Monk/Ninja at this point (either the "use skill = heal" or ninja dodge), while I have no idea what to do with my heal-bitch monk and gladiator.

Also, how good are status effects in an EO game? With my current party setup (and the subsequent quantity of sheer, stupid healing) I can blow through most trash mobs pretty easily without much need to mess around, and most of the FOEs/bosses seem heavily resistant or outright immune to status anyway: I'm wary of investing heavily in skills that don't help much when the actual tough battles roll around.

Althane

Chozo said:
Got to the point where I can multiclass: now I'm basically stuck because I can't decide how I want to multiclass my party =|. Probably going to go Princess/Monk (for reasons Man God stated), and Arbalist/Ninja ("hi, I have Giant Kill maxed and now there are two of me to ruin your day"), but I'm not sure which way to go with the other three: Hoplite is basically either Monk/Ninja at this point (either the "use skill = heal" or ninja dodge), while I have no idea what to do with my heal-bitch monk and gladiator.

Also, how good are status effects in an EO game? With my current party setup (and the subsequent quantity of sheer, stupid healing) I can blow through most trash mobs pretty easily without much need to mess around, and most of the FOEs/bosses seem heavily resistant or outright immune to status anyway: I'm wary of investing heavily in skills that don't help much when the actual tough battles roll around.

They help a lot. Bosses are very, very situation about what status effects affect them, but they're really, really useful. I'm reminded of EO2, where if you had a DH with Climax in your party, your fight with the second boss was half as long, and you got a sweet item out of it.

As to which are effective in this game, I couldn't really say. Binding Leg is useful for hunting down the Golden FOEs, and Binding Head and Arms is how you prevent skills from being sud by bosses.

Most the rest are obvious.

Boogiepop

Got a chance to start this up last night and... sooooo good.
Running a Gladiator, Ninja, Zodiac, Prince, and Monk, and it seems to be working out fine so far. Really liking Ninja and Prince, and the Prince's autoheal seems to work well with the Ninja's Bunshin skill.
Already reached B4 (though just barely. Still, got the shortcuts set up for 3 :)) Pretty easy thus far, at least compared to II. Still putting up a bit of a fight, but I don't think I've seen the game-over screen yet. Surprised they didn't force you to fight a boss/FOE before advancing past the 1st floor like in II.
Also, just did the sailing minigame for the first time. Seems neat, but I'm definitely gonna need to get access to more space than the peas allow. Oh, and does the increased fishing power of the net you get override the massive cost of using it at all?

Althane

Mank said:
Got a chance to start this up last night and... sooooo good.
Running a Gladiator, Ninja, Zodiac, Prince, and Monk, and it seems to be working out fine so far. Really liking Ninja and Prince, and the Prince's autoheal seems to work well with the Ninja's Bunshin skill.
Already reached B4 (though just barely. Still, got the shortcuts set up for 3 :)) Pretty easy thus far, at least compared to II. Still putting up a bit of a fight, but I don't think I've seen the game-over screen yet. Surprised they didn't force you to fight a boss/FOE before advancing past the 1st floor like in II.
Also, just did the sailing minigame for the first time. Seems neat, but I'm definitely gonna need to get access to more space than the peas allow. Oh, and does the increased fishing power of the net you get override the massive cost of using it at all?

Honestly, the FOEs in this game seem quite a bit weaker than they did in EO1 and 2.

The sailing minigame is a bit interesting. And yes, it actually does (once you get the higher value movement items, you can fish a LOT, especially if rare schools show up).

I'm up to the second boss.
What? Whale? BIG MOTHERFUCKER! OH SNAP!

So yeah, that hurt. Ah well. I'm sure he'll go down the second time.

(after I get some new armor, grind a level or two out for everybody so I can get more TP...

And get more Medica and Nectars!)

Althane

So after my second trouncing by the second boss, does anyone have any tips for him?

Specifically, when should I AntiCold with my Hoplite to mitigate the damage from his freeze attack?

droopy

Just got cornered by two very confusing deer, wasn't too bad really. FOEs early on just seem to have a trick or two and a lot of health.

DTJAAAAM

Making my way through the fifth stratum. I'm loving the overpowered combo of Zodiac/Ninja, Arbalist/Shogun, and Shogun/Buccaneer. The Kaishaku skill is also quite cheesy since it can instantly kill bosses if you whittle their health down low enough.

Ela Hadrun

My problem with the 2nd Stratum boss is the damn evasion. I don't have too much trouble keeping alive. I just can't hit the fucker. So, a few more levels for my Arbalist it is.

Boogiepop

Got to the first boss, and.... yeah, I'm gonna need some grinding before I can beat him. And FOEs are definitely easier. Was really shocked when I ran into the the deer on the 4th floor and actually managed to beat it, and have since beaten a couple of those and a few of the ones on the second floor. Still don't think I can take down two of the deers at once though, in that one spot (not that it terribly matters.)
Oh, and are the "upgrades" in the fishing game all self contained or do some tie into the main game? I can't seem to get any further out after getting the first movement upgrade. Bleh.

eznark

Banned
Jesus, just this first quest is annoying me! I loved the first game (aside from the story) why is this bugging me so much!

eznark

Banned
I dig the mapping mechanic, but I do not dig being forced to do it I guess. And right after I posted that I found a secret room so I guess there IS still more to map. Do I need to worry about putting the proper symbols on the map as well? I never do that.

Mapping missions requires you to step on most of the tiles (around 70%) and to map in all the floors and walls. They allow you a set number of mistakes (adding walls where there are none, not adding walls, etc) and they don't count any addition or lack of walls around specific spots like treasure chests, hidden paths, etc as mistakes.

I think the limit of mistakes in EO3's first mapping mission is 12.

Althane

I would find the mapping mission as annoying, but I'm gonna do it anyways, so... yeah.

Is it me, or is the Second Stratum the most beautiful EO landscape ever?

I mean, seriously.

(BTW, the winter one in EO2 sucked)

Also, this is the first time I remember everyone being like "Nobody's ever gone to the 8th floor!". I'm pretty sure in the previous two, people had gotten past the second stratum, right?

Althane

eznark said:
Do I have any prayer with the following party:

Arbalist
Buccaneer
Gladiator
Prince
Hoplite

I assume your arbalist and Buccaneer are in back.

Yeah, that seems like a decent party. You're a little light on heals (for the first and second stratum, the Prince's passive heals are alright, but... I dunno about the third stratum since I've not been there yet, but I'd imagine that's where you'd probably want to have more straight up heals). Otherwise, it's a fairly solid party.

eznark

Banned
Ya, I've got Gladiator and Hoplite in front. I pretty much just picked the classes on a whim figuring I'd be in and out a ton early, but I actually like this mix so far. I definitely would like a healer though. I guess Monk for Buccaneer? Can't really see the advantages of that class right now.

Althane

eznark said:
Ya, I've got Gladiator and Hoplite in front. I pretty much just picked the classes on a whim figuring I'd be in and out a ton early, but I actually like this mix so far. I definitely would like a healer though. I guess Monk for Buccaneer? Can't really see the advantages of that class right now.

If you switch Monk for Buccaneer, you'll have my party (Monk, Hoplite, Gladiator in front, Prince and Arbalist in back)

I built my monk as a split between heals, and damage. She's got enough fist points and Kikouken (the stun skill) to be decent at damage dealing, combined with a HUGE TP pool and Line Heal and Heal. Which, a single hit from her heals will typically heal everyone, excepting the Hoplite if he's really low.

Boogiepop

Anyone know where to get a cannon/something to improve durability or w/e to get over new tiles in the ship section? I've got the lighthouse and the first two ports, but I can't seem to advance any further without something new, and... well, it's kinda hard to search the map for things when you have to use the move+1 and go flying all over the place.
Also, beat the first stratum and damn, do I ever wish a new knife would show up in the store. Bleh, my Ninja's getting kinda weak because of this :( Guess I could actually start harvesting/hunting down a few of my missed drops...

Ela Hadrun

The Prince is so fucking good. I use him for everything. With Negotiate I can direct heal, and now that I can subclass I'll be teaching him to resurrect. SO much better at healing than the Monk. The Monk is a good front-row healer who deals decent damage. My Prince is safely tucked in the back row, keeping his HP maxed out so my party gets 20+ HP for free every round. So. Sweet.

I beat the second stratum boss! I somehow managed to confuse him! :O It was pretty satisfying to taunt, "why are you hitting yourself?" at my DS screen.

droopy

So apparently the game keeps a little calendar-type thing on the main party menu. Is this a Harvest Moon kinda thing; do I only have 20 years to beat the game? I mean holy crap it's already Dormouse!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
No no, it cycles. There are certain events or monsters/FOEs tied to the calendar I think.

Althane

Holy.

Shit.

Beat Second Stratum boss with my Prince and Hoplite doing around 20 damage a turn. I got REALLY FRIGGIN' LUCKY.

o.o

*pant pant*

Crazetex

I don't know if I want this or Four Warriors of Light on Tuesday. I can only afford one, and I liked EO1/2 - but I never got around to finishing either.

I am torn. :<

Althane

Crazetex said:
I don't know if I want this or Four Warriors of Light on Tuesday. I can only afford one, and I liked EO1/2 - but I never got around to finishing either.

I am torn. :<

Final Fantasy gets too much love, EO doesn't get enough.

Spread the love, you know where it should go. ;)

Crazetex

Yeah, I know I should buy EO3, and I will within the next year or so at the very latest. I feel like I'm more in the mood for an upbeat and charming game, though. Committing genocide because I'll get ~phat lewt~ is not upbeat and charming (just very fun).

So, I guess I'm just waiting to see on Tuesday if I want emotionally detached but addicting hacking, or cutesy foxes and butterflies and :<

Althane

You want EO3. Beautiful game. =P

So, spoilers for finishing the second stratum:

Who told the council that the Deep City existed? And who expected Olympia to be a robot? I didn't tell the council, and I didn't expect that.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Althane said:
You want EO3. Beautiful game. =P

So, spoilers for finishing the second stratum:

Who told the council that the Deep City existed? And who expected Olympia to be a robot? I didn't tell the council, and I didn't expect that.

It'll make sense soon.

Boogiepop

Ok, now I think I'm done having problems with the ship game, as I've got a cannon, the ability to cross seaweed/whatever that is, three slots, and soon... the ability to cross reefs. :) And yeah, this stuff is great for making extra cash.
BTW, anyone figure out the sun and the moon doors? Do you just have to get to a certain point in the game or something?

Althane

Mank said:
Ok, now I think I'm done having problems with the ship game, as I've got a cannon, the ability to cross seaweed/whatever that is, three slots, and soon... the ability to cross reefs. :) And yeah, this stuff is great for making extra cash.
BTW, anyone figure out the sun and the moon doors? Do you just have to get to a certain point in the game or something?

You probably do.

Anyways, I've not really paid a lot of attention to the ship game. How do I go about finding those upgrades?

Boogiepop

Althane said:
You probably do.

Anyways, I've not really paid a lot of attention to the ship game. How do I go about finding those upgrades?
Assuming you have the mast for +1 movement and the 20 turns item (which I don't exactly remember where to get, but they're around), then you can get to the pirate isle in the bottom left with those two equipped and some slightly clever use of a current to trick your way past the pirates, then go back a second time for the cannon.
To get the triple slot, you need to go back to the upper port and talk to them, and they'll tell you about the missing shipwright or w/e, who's really the goat guy. You bring him back and you're good (though you'll need to exit the port menu and come back to get it for some reason.
The seaweed thing then comes from the Easter Island heads IIRC, and the reef is in the North Sea, which should be easy to get to with the other upgrades.

Top Bottom