• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan |OT|: Fight & Heal Brings 3D To Europe!

ohlawd

Dancer's Beat Dance... is there a point to this? I have to have a Waltz, Samba and Tango up and then I have to use a turn to even use it.

It's like a worse version of Rush Dance or do I have it all wrong?

zashga

Almost done with the second stratum; nightseeker is the star of my party right now, even though I messed up the build pretty badly.
The guest mystic joined my party for the last floor... really looking forward to unlocking that class

One question about nightseeker: does Speed Boost increase the chance of status effects landing successfully? The biggest problem I have with that class is just having bad luck and wasting a few turns in a row trying to land blind, etc. Is luck the stat that governs status applications, or is it hit?

Althane

I'm finally hitting level 20's. I think I'm going to probably do the "Get to 22, rest" thing to start reallocating points. I'm just not sure where to take my builds.

Nightseeker, I think I'm going to go with a dual weapons build, with blind throw maxed out (hits reasonably often, is cheap, and is a good status effect).

My Runemaster will either go respec towards Fire (to attack all enemies) or keep on her lightning build.

I'm not sure where to take my Dancer, Landsknecht or Fortress though. Probably work towards Party Shield with my Fortress, apart from that I dunno.

Talaysen

Not enough video on youtube, I'm sad... :(
Until tomorrow ! ^^

I've been streaming it on twitch if you're looking for something to watch. I don't remember how long they get saved for though. (Also I probably will be stopping later this week once Atelier Ayesha arrives.)

One question about nightseeker: does Speed Boost increase the chance of status effects landing successfully? The biggest problem I have with that class is just having bad luck and wasting a few turns in a row trying to land blind, etc. Is luck the stat that governs status applications, or is it hit?

TEC and LUC determine chance to apply status. Hit rate doesn't matter (though if your attack doesn't connect there won't be a status check anyway, but that doesn't sound like it's the problem).

scy

Dancer's Beat Dance... is there a point to this? I have to have a Waltz, Samba and Tango up and then I have to use a turn to even use it.

It's like a worse version of Rush Dance or do I have it all wrong?

They're two different skills. Rush Dance is the Dancer chases attacks from the team, Beat Dance is the entire team attacks a target. It's more for a team with four high damage characters. It also (most likely) has a higher damage multiplier than Rush Dance.

...but, yeah, I don't find it that useful.

It still seems to be 2*LUC + TEC for the calculations. Agility (and [LUC+TEC]/2) are used for Accuracy which is separate from status effects landing. When you get access to subclassing, /Arcanist has a Passive skill that boosts the chance for Status Effects to land.

I'm finally hitting level 20's. I think I'm going to probably do the "Get to 22, rest" thing to start reallocating points. I'm just not sure where to take my builds.

Nightseeker, I think I'm going to go with a dual weapons build, with blind throw maxed out (hits reasonably often, is cheap, and is a good status effect).

My Runemaster will either go respec towards Fire (to attack all enemies) or keep on her lightning build.

I'm not sure where to take my Dancer, Landsknecht or Fortress though. Probably work towards Party Shield with my Fortress, apart from that I dunno.

My Landsknecht started working towards Links at this point and Dancer was working towards just getting my buffs I wanted (Energy Tango to cover for my Landsknecht setting up Vangaurd/Improved Link, Trick Samba since my Nightseeker/Landsknecht did the bulk of my damage, etc.).

Just a warning for Party Shield, you'll take a lot of damage against multi-target attacks. It's quite possible for your Fortress to straight up die off a skill that hits your full party that gets entirely redirected to them. I did Healing Wall here since 40 HP/Defend helped make for infinite Health in dungeon runs.

Althane

My Landsknecht started working towards Links at this point and Dancer was working towards just getting my buffs I wanted (Energy Tango to cover for my Landsknecht setting up Vangaurd/Improved Link, Trick Samba since my Nightseeker/Landsknecht did the bulk of my damage, etc.).

Just a warning for Party Shield, you'll take a lot of damage against multi-target attacks. It's quite possible for your Fortress to straight up die off a skill that hits your full party that gets entirely redirected to them. I did Healing Wall here since 40 HP/Defend helped make for infinite Health in dungeon runs.

Hadn't thought of that. The full-party attacks from the bull-things in the 4th cave in the 1st land (forget the name and don't have my 3DS right now) were consistently killing my Nightseeker, so I was hoping that party shield would decrease that much. But if it funnels the damage to the Fortress, rather than decreasing damage, that's... not as useful.

Help me out GAF! Re: Boss fight in 3rd Labyrinth

I'm fighting the sentinel, but every time I get him down to almost dead, he "endures the attack" and gets half his health back. What am I doing wrong?

scy

Hadn't thought of that. The full-party attacks from the bull-things in the 4th cave in the 1st land (forget the name and don't have my 3DS right now) were consistently killing my Nightseeker, so I was hoping that party shield would decrease that much. But if it funnels the damage to the Fortress, rather than decreasing damage, that's... not as useful.

It'll decrease the damage taken as well (~15% Reduced Damage when maxed) but it's basically just a party-wide Bodyguard.

And if you're talking about the War Bisons, they do nothing until you damage them so you should have free turns to setup to kill them in one turn.

Help me out GAF! Re: Boss fight in 3rd Labyrinth

I'm fighting the sentinel, but every time I get him down to almost dead, he "endures the attack" and gets half his health back. What am I doing wrong?

Nothing,
Endure is merely a Bushi Skill to survive a lethal blow and heal off of it. As far as I know, it's a Limbless skill so he'll get to use it regardless

It'll decrease the damage taken as well (~15% Reduced Damage when maxed) but it's basically just a party-wide Bodyguard.

And if you're talking about the War Bisons, they do nothing until you damage them so you should have free turns to setup to kill them in one turn.

Nothing,
Endure is merely a Bushi Skill to survive a lethal blow and heal off of it. As far as I know, it's a Limbless skill so he'll get to use it regardless

Is it randomly activated? Or do I have to beat him down a few times? By the time he uses it, I'm pretty much out of TP on all my characters.

Thanks!

scy

Ahhh. I think I just need to grind out a few levels / upgrade a few pieces of gear then. Thanks again!

If you can, Arm Bind should shut down his entire skillset otherwise. I didn't really have much trouble with the fight (Link party so it was setup turn, setup turn, Endure, kill >>) so I'm not sure precisely what he does.

Are the early passive skills worth the points in general? Such as the Land attack up passive and Fort defense up one?

4 points in each isn't a bad investment (115% Damage for Landsknecht's, 85% Damage Taken for Fortress). I prefer Passives in general, though.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
And beat it (well, the end story boss I'll probably take a break before seeing what post game shenanigans this one has). End Boss took two attempts because I didn't bring any TP restoring items the first time but isn't too hard overall.

I was level 56-59

tuffy

How many points should I have put into each of my snipers bind skills? Max them out?

I've been pushing to max them all out along with bind chase, then push for divine shot later. My Sniper isn't a big damage-dealer, but there's something very satisfying about shutting boss attacks down and pumelling them into submission.

vall03

And beat it (well, the end story boss I'll probably take a break before seeing what post game shenanigans this one has). End Boss took two attempts because I didn't bring any TP restoring items the first time but isn't too hard overall.

I was level 56-59

I feel like Im not playing well when I see people beat bosses/areas with low levels. Im already at Lvl53 and Im just starting at the 4th area!

scy

I feel like Im not playing well when I see people beat bosses/areas with low levels. Im already at Lvl53 and Im just starting at the 4th area!

I don't even know how people are such low level to be honest. I'm not even really grinding and I'll be 70 really soon in the final dungeon.

Sleepy

I was level 56-59

How many hours did it take you?

Althane

I wish I had more time to play the game. x_x

I'm only just now in the second area, barely advancing in the second maze because every fight seems to end up with one of my members dead (all level 20 or 19). And I hear people already beating it.

Do you guys just play all day. X_X??

slayn

How many hours did it take you?
Around 40ish according to the 3ds activity log though I might have just left the game running at times. And there is generally a significant amount of post game content I haven't yet touched. (My Bestiary looks like its missing like 10 bosses for example... though some of those entries could be different parts of the same boss)

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
So are there ever any alternate rewards for quests? Like I just did one that involved finding an out-of-print book about plants, and when I went to the atelier Li'l Miss Lady Boner told me they had one and I could have it for a thousand bucks but I could also get it from the bears because apparently bears are real bibliophiles. So I just bought it 'cause I'm all about conspicuous consumption, but then the barkeep lady sounded all like I'd cancelled Christmas when I turned in the quest without risking life and limb for it.

So are there any consequences for taking the coward's path on quests like that? Because if the rewards are the same and I'm just going to get tut-tutted for it I'll just keep on keepin' on because I am not in the habit of giving a shit what bartenders think of me.

So are there ever any alternate rewards for quests?

I bought the book for that quest too so I'd like to see what happens if you fight the bears to win it instead.

I know that in one particular quest, whether you pick a flower at night or daytime the reward you get changes, and if you pick the flower right at dawn you get both rewards.

There are also some QR code quests for hunting competitions and the number of monsters you slay increases the rewards you get.

lingiii

Banned
So are there ever any alternate rewards for quests? Like I just did one that involved finding an out-of-print book about plants, and when I went to the atelier Li'l Miss Lady Boner told me they had one and I could have it for a thousand bucks but I could also get it from the bears because apparently bears are real bibliophiles. So I just bought it 'cause I'm all about conspicuous consumption, but then the barkeep lady sounded all like I'd cancelled Christmas when I turned in the quest without risking life and limb for it.

So are there any consequences for taking the coward's path on quests like that? Because if the rewards are the same and I'm just going to get tut-tutted for it I'll just keep on keepin' on because I am not in the habit of giving a shit what bartenders think of me.

there's another one down the road where someone tries to bribe you. they're pretty far between though. usually when the reward says "power book/skill book" or something like that, it means there are two possible outcomes. Doesn't tell you which is which though.

Meanwhile, I just busted into the 4th land! in the quest collection after, all my dudes got to 42! always the best to have a huge land open up and rest all my characters back to back. everything's fresh again!

also, I retired my NS into a Bushi-sub-NS and then put him through training to 35. Early observations are never put points into the auto-bloodyrage or whatever it's called that makes you take damage on attack. I had three fights in a row the Bushi accidentally killed himself because of two hits/attack * dancer making him take several attacks. might take that skill out entirely once he gets up to 42 himself.

scy

I'm only just now in the second area, barely advancing in the second maze because every fight seems to end up with one of my members dead (all level 20 or 19). And I hear people already beating it.

It takes me about ~4 hours per Strata probably? I'm only around 20-ish hours right now.

Edit: Though, I'm in the process of grinding to 70 for a Retire so I can check some things off the regrind. Maybe fill out some of the foods for forcing Shiny FoEs, for instance.

spiritfox

If you fight the bear you get some extra items and a purchasable knife after you beat him. But other than that, it's the same.

Anteo

Yes, I play all day. Seriously =/

Edit:

I bought the book for that quest too so I'd like to see what happens if you fight the bears to win it instead.

You get to hear The End of the Raging Winds in game again so it's a reward on it's own, plus is a Red Bear so extra exp! And you get a knife.

slayn

I decided to finish up various quests I had ignored but I need help with Water Mark rection (4th land quest)
This is the quest in the 4th land where you have to walk the specific pathway to trigger a reaction. I did this, and it made a comment about there being a reaction nearby to the southwest but I can't find anything.

edit: nevermind, of course I find it 3 seconds after posting. Its at
A4, 5,1

scy

Haha, just finished the quest and saw the question. Looks like you found it while I was typing this up.

Edit: One of these days, I'll remember to write down the Key Chests/Doors instead of just marking them on my map.

cjkeats

So this is an Atlus game. Did I already miss the window of opportunity to find it at 40 dollars?

All my local game shops still have it in stock, and I haven't street passed a single person playing it.
Which is kind of a bummer, considering how obvious it is there will be another. I hope it's selling good.

Koshiro loves his eerily soothing 2nd stratum tunes, don't he?

All my local game shops still have it in stock, and I haven't streep passed a single person playing it.
Which is kind of a bummer, considering how obvious it is there will be another. I hope it's selling good.

I'd probably freak if I ever have that happen in any game on this system, I think.

Would you guys also recommend Etrian Odyssey III? Or is that impossible to find?

Also watching the character class videos in the OP, it seems like every class can basically do a lot of everything. So are classes basically just aesthetic?

Anteo

Would you guys also recommend Etrian Odyssey III? Or is that impossible to find?

Also watching the character class videos in the OP, it seems like every class can basically do a lot of everything. So are classes basically just aesthetic?

Huh? Not at all, classes have very specific uses. For example the only specialiced healer is the Medic. Dancer can fit that rol but not as good (though dancers deal a lot of damage compared to medics) and Arcanist can heal too.

Want some status ailments? Go for Nightseeker or Arcanist. (Nightseeker deals heavy damage to ailng enemies)
Want some binds? Go for Sniper or Arcanist. (Sniper deals heavy damage to binded enemies)

Want some raw attack? Get a Bushi or a Landsknecht. Landsknecth can link attacks to deal many hits per turn with a good party.

Yes. EOIII is a great game, and is different enough structurally that you might find it as enjoyable as EOIV. And the games were reprinted, so they aren't that hard to find: EOIII is currently less than $30 on US Amazon.

Huh? Not at all, classes have very specific uses. For example the only specialiced healer is the Medic. Dancer can fit that rol but not as good (though dancers deal a lot of damage compared to medics) and Arcanist can heal too.

Want some status ailments? Go for Nightseeker or Arcanist. (Nightseeker deals heavy damage to ailng enemies)
Want some binds? Go for Sniper or Arcanist. (Sniper deals heavy damage to binded enemies)

Want some raw attack? Get a Bushi or a Landsknecht. Landsknecth can link attacks to deal many hits per turn with a good party.

Alright sounds good. The videos had me a bit worried because they showcased all the classes dishing out good damage, and having some form of support.

Anyway, ordered IV from Newegg since Amazon doesn't have it in stock right now.

And ordered III from Amazon.

:)

This is gonna be the best spring break ever.

Anteo

Alright sounds good. The videos had me a bit worried because they showcased all the classes dishing out good damage, and having some form of support.

Anyway, ordered IV from Newegg since Amazon doesn't have it in stock right now.

Well I think most of the videos had impossible levels for the area or enemies it showed. My party generally does 50-70 to enemies around my level, only my nightseeker can hit 400 if he lands a ailment, same for my runemaster and a elemental weakness.

Edit: Saw your edit, I recommend you to play one at a time. Maybe start with 3, and then go to 4 and its little improvements on the interface.

Well I think most of the videos had impossible levels for the area or enemies it showed. My party generally does 50-70 to enemies around my level, only my nightseeker can hit 400 if he lands a ailment, same for my runemaster and a elemental weakness.

Edit: Saw your edit, I recommend you to play one at a time. Maybe start with 3, and then go to 4 and its little improvements on the interface.

Yeah I was planning on playing them in order. By the way how possible is it to do a single class run? Easier with some classes than with others?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
If you fight the bear you get some extra items and a purchasable knife after you beat him. But other than that, it's the same.

Well that's a lot of bollocks, is what that is. When the exuberant apprentice who likes to keep me up-to-date on the goings-on in her overalls told me to go fight a bear for a rare book I was all like "Bullshit, Bonerella. Find some other sap to go on your snipe hunt."

I bust my ass for that town day in and day out, and the one time I decide to kick back a bit and solve my problems with money everybody gets all judgmental and starts acting like I'm losing my edge or something when five minutes before they were all aflutter about how I'm a super badass flying into uncharted lands.

Bunch of ingrates. I'm of half a mind to lure a kangaroo right into the middle of town.

Anteo

Yeah I was planning on playing them in order. By the way how possible is it to do a single class run? Easier with some classes than with others?

Very hard at first, since not all the healing items are avalible at the begining (you can buy medicas that heal 50hp but that's it, no revives, no better heals...)

I guess later I'd be doable with subclassing and more items.

spiritfox

Very hard at first, since not all the healing items are avalible at the begining (you can buy medicas that heal 50hp but that's it, no revives, no better heals...)

I guess later I'd be doable with subclassing and more items.

5 monks might be doable (EO3 of course). 3 monks in the front dealing damage and the 2 behind healing when applicable.

This is my first into the series even though i own a couple of the games on ds. I am going with dancer nightseeker Landsknecht medic and runemaster.

I have gotten info on specing nightseeker so I'm ok there but im kind of clueless as what to do for the other class's. I am using medic as pure healer if that helps with that class. Any help would be appreciated.

Top Bottom