• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan |OT|: Fight & Heal Brings 3D To Europe!

Sleepy

Tough call. I am juggling the two games. IMO, I think FE:A is an overall "better" game, but EO IV is addicting fun with so much to do... I am not much help. :(

LOL. Well, I found the demo of EO to be much more addicting, maybe it's because you can do more, but I already bought EO because of the addicting quality.

Hi everyone !
I'm kinda interested in Etrian Odyssey IV. But I wanted to know if the game was kinda story driven or something. Like... is there a plot or you just go dungeons to dungeons ?
There is a plot, but just the bare minimum to give you a reason for exploring deeper into the dungeons. For example, it starts with you and your guild arriving in town, answering the call for "what's in that gigantic dungeon-like tree over there?" (that's off into the distance, so first you have to go through local caves trying to find your way there). Then you get bits like "all these town guards were ripped up by a big blood covered creature, go kill it" followed by "the creature ran deeper into the caves, you can't claim to have killed it unless you go down after", etc. Apparently EO3 had an actual story that came together towards the end of the game, complete with three different endings; I'd assume this game will be similar.

Sleepy

Can the Shinjuku Map be used in the demo? I have it (from the QR Code) but I cannot seem to find who to giveit to, or how to use it. Also, is there a level cap in the demo? Reached Level 10 with 2 characters, and it seems they are not gaining anymore XP.

Can the Shinjuku Map be used in the demo? I have it (from the QR Code) but I cannot seem to find who to giveit to, or how to use it. Also, is there a level cap in the demo? Reached Level 10 with 2 characters, and it seems they are not gaining anymore XP.

The Shinjuku Map exists only to be sold. The demo caps levels at 10.

Spent about 2 hours last night grinding my characters from level 40 > 50.

I was doing this in the 2nd land. There are 3 Dream Eater, 1 Dinogator and 1 Omnihunter FOE on that map. I would enter/exit the map, checking to see if they were shiny. Hopefully, I got lucky and also found food that would increase the EXP.

1 defeated shiny Dream Eater, with the EXP boost skill (holy gift) and the food that increases EXP, gave me 50k EXP.

1 defeated shiny Dinogator (these take a few days to respawn after killing btw), with holy gift and the food EXP, gave me 73k EXP.

So if you want to do some grinding, I think this is a good spot.

I thought about retiring my team and grinding once again but I may just wait till 99 to do so.

Time to tackle the 4th land. Good luck to those in the 3rd labyrinth. So annoying.

Yikes, the ability to change altitude really blows the game wide open.

I'm still a bit disappointed that there's no longer the immediate thrill of defeating a boss, going down the stairs, and seeing entirely new maze scenery.

scy

3rd Stratum Boss COnditional Drop is to kill with Fire. Okay. Set things up and have it all ready for a kill.

My Fortress, with a single forge of Poison, lands a Poison on the boss. The 50 damage tick gets the kill.

;_;

Spent about 2 hours last night grinding my characters from level 40 > 50.

I was doing this in the 2nd land. There are 3 Dream Eater, 1 Dinogator and 1 Omnihunter FOE on that map. I would enter/exit the map, checking to see if they were shiny. Hopefully, I got lucky and also found food that would increase the EXP.

I did the same except with I'd check the Moth dungeon. A Shiny + 2x Moth FoE adds was ~100k EXP I believe. I'd get the EXP+++ Food from the first area Dragon flyby and then just enter/exit Shiny respawns.

Makes the Retire regrind relatively painless.

Sleepy

Goddamn Amazon. They cancelled my order as there seems to be something wrong with the stock they have, or at least it looks like people are complaining about something. No manual?

lingiii

Banned
two questions:

how does retiring work? what's the calculation for how many levels you lose / how many skill points you pick up?

also, I don't understand binds at all. a) do they count as status effects for N's damage boost. b) do they always work the same, i.e. does binding legs only prevent running? does head binding prevent magic? I have no clue what does what and if its consistent across enemies.

Eusis

I'm still a bit disappointed that there's no longer the immediate thrill of defeating a boss, going down the stairs, and seeing entirely new maze scenery.
On the other hand it's kind of awesome to be able to poke around and discover those caves.

Game actually feels smaller to me than prior EOs so far, but maybe it's because this one's awesome with shortcuts and the first wasn't, and I never beat 2/3 anyway (want to at least beat 3 though.)

scy

two questions:

how does retiring work? what's the calculation for how many levels you lose / how many skill points you pick up?

Half your level, rounded down. You get +3 Skill Points and +3 All Stats, I believe, for a Level 30 Retire with an extra +1 to each for every 10 Levels (e.g., Level 40 Retire would be +4/+4).

Also, Retiring deletes the character you Retire. You basically delete the old character and create a new one with bonus stats and it starts at half the level of the character you Retired (up to Level 30; a Level 99 Retire, for instance, gives you a Level 30 character still, not a 49).

also, I don't understand binds at all. a) do they count as status effects for N's damage boost. b) do they always work the same, i.e. does binding legs only prevent running? does head binding prevent magic? I have no clue what does what and if its consistent across enemies.

There are three limbs: Head, Arm, and Leg. Almost every skill in the game is associated with one of these parts. If that part is bound, those skills cannot be used.

On top of that, each Bind has it's own effect:
Head - Lowers Accuracy.
Arm - Lowers Damage.
Leg - Disables Evasion.

And, no, Binds do not count as a Status Effect for a Nightseeker's bonus damage.

Eusis

By the way, how does Patch Up scale up? I know it was kind of useless to waste points with in EO1 (at least by the end game), but it seems profoundly useful here.

Ala Alba

By the way, how does Patch Up scale up? I know it was kind of useless to waste points with in EO1 (at least by the end game), but it seems profoundly useful here.

The skill simulator says 50 hp at level 8, so probably not that useful late game?

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Can swords dance activate off of a follow up attack?
Don't think so. It would be pretty awesome if you could use rush dance to get up to 8 attacks any time someone attacks anything and get like 40 attacks per turn but alas, it hasn't worked for me.

Eusis

The skill simulator says 50 hp at level 8, so probably not that useful late game?
Sounds like the kind of thing that could be worth maxing out early on, then respeccing to drop it like a hot potato. I probably won't put any more points into it for now actually, I have it on 2 for the time being.

I've bought like 2 of the first 3 games only to never play them or when I did...I got killed right away.

But this one got me somehow.

I'm still dying a lot but I just played for damn near two hours.

So it is doing something.

The soundtrack is gdlk too.

Playing the demo and really digging it - I only did the first mission but based on what I saw and other recommendations I might pick this up.

How long can I expect to spend in the demo? I'm thinking about DLing it right now (on vacation) but if there is another hour or so of gameplay I might hold off and pick up a physical copy. If its to 10 levels I feel like that could be another couple hours?

Althane

Alll right. Beat the first maze boss with my level 15-16ish party. Wasn't particularly difficult. Surprisingly easy to make him flinch, but maybe I ground too much getting to him.

scy

Alll right. Beat the first maze boss with my level 15-16ish party. Wasn't particularly difficult. Surprisingly easy to make him flinch, but maybe I ground too much getting to him.

As far as I can tell, the Flinch mechanic on him is merely hitting ~300 damage while he's charging.

Eusis

Admittedly including a DS health & safety booklet with a 3DS game when there's no 3DS health & safety booklet IS technically a packaging problem, but not a serious one.

... Although in a way that makes me more annoyed about the lack of manual when I think about it. Even the environmental friendly angle's shot up because they put in that shitty, redundant booklet when everyone has that info on their 3DS (up to date to boot) AND there's no real interest or value in reading them unlike a good manual. I also can't seem to find the information on FOE auras in the digital one, but that could've been a problem in a physical one too if they had made one if the size of the digital manual's any indication.

Sleepy

The Nightseeker damage output is pretty crazy, just got my first burst skills. Double slash+ melee + blind = bear steak.

Good to know, as I was considering ditching my NS character as he really sucks right now.

How long can I expect to spend in the demo? I'm thinking about DLing it right now (on vacation) but if there is another hour or so of gameplay I might hold off and pick up a physical copy. If its to 10 levels I feel like that could be another couple hours?

You can level characters to 10...I think I have put ~6 hours in the demo. And there is still more I can do.

There's no manual with the game. That's normal. There is a digital manual, however.

Which is why Amazon has stopped shipping them, probably. Too many people emailing that there was no manual.

scy

Good to know, as I was considering ditching my NS character as he really sucks right now.

They're fairly random chance based which is what sort of sucks for them, I suppose. But, the way I see it, almost every character has a one or two turn setup combo and Nightseeker's is one of the highest multipliers on theirs. If the stars align, I think I can do ~2000 Damage in a single attack with mine right now.

This game does such a wonderful job at teaching via foreshadowing, yet they have those Dungeon Master blurbs say the choice. Such a waste.

Yeah, that was nice. I'm a huge nut for that thing, gatekeeper bosses and hidden paths.

On the other hand it's kind of awesome to be able to poke around and discover those caves.

Game actually feels smaller to me than prior EOs so far, but maybe it's because this one's awesome with shortcuts and the first wasn't, and I never beat 2/3 anyway (want to at least beat 3 though.)

It feels larger than 3. Either that, or 3 felt so small compared to 2 due to it leaning on the boring sailing.

Odd, my N is a murder machine. Granted I built her to avoid her being a Nectar Hog and the only special damage attack I do with her so far is 6/10 Ice Knife (for my No R Spread Elemental party build). White damage has been MORE than ample without anything else.

And this comes from someone who HATED Ds in 2 until they could tie those mothers down after being powerleveled.

Playing the demo and really digging it - I only did the first mission but based on what I saw and other recommendations I might pick this up.

Well, the demo caps (as people mentioned) to level 10, and you can explore the first floor of the first "real" dungeon. I think I was level 7 when I finished all the quests and that floor in the demo, it took me around 4 hours total.

Althane

Nightseekers depend a lot on luck and build. As far as I can tell, the Blind is one of the best status effects... with the worst chance to hit when you need it to (The RNG is a fickle deity). I'm thinking of respeccing mine to a dual weapon build (Need to kill the first boos again to get another of its claws) once he hits 22, but I dunno.

Blinding is so incredibly useful.

Just unlocked subclassing. Went with the following:

Landsdjvhjhnt / Runemaster - My team is very volt-heavy and my Land is a link monster. I figured Runemaster would be the best for maxing out those links.

Fortress / Dancer - I didn't really like any choices here. My Fortress is a protector with bolt strike as his main attack. Dancer's evade seemed better than anything else and his TP is too low to do something like Arcanist, even with the regen.

Dancer / Nightseeker - struggled with this one. Wanted to go with Land for the links and still think that might be the best way to go, but I wanted to play with Sword Dance/dual wield and see how it worked. It's working, but it's nothing amazing. I might switch this at level 42.

Medic / Arcanist - I like this setup. I can do a circle on the first round, get the perks from that and then focus on healing for the next three turns. I really really want to use an Arcanist but don't want to give up any of my five.

Runemaster / Medic - Didn't really know what to do here, so I went with backup healing. Seems like it could come in handy when the Medic goes to do a circle.

Question: does Patch Up stack? If I have one character at level 5 and another at level 1, will I get 50 hp restored or 60?

Also would love to hear any comments on my choices. I feel so paralyzed making such a big decision. I got to subclassing in EO3, freaked out about making a choice and never went back to the game because of it. I feel a lot better in this one since resting isn't much of penalty and because shiny FOE grinding is so easy and efficient, but still.

I was in the battle before unlocking subclasses with a L/F/D R/A setup and my back row got wiped.
I set it to auto so I could die quickly and reload my save and when I looked back my front row had won with only my Fortress dying.

I wish I had seen how they pulled it off but I got subclassing nonetheless.

Anteo

I was in the battle before unlocking subclasses with a L/F/D R/A setup and my back row got wiped.
I set it to auto so I could die quickly and reload my save and when I looked back my front row had won with only my Fortress dying.

I wish I had seen how they pulled it off but I got subclassing nonetheless.

That sounds awesome. How far in the fight were you before your front row died?

Can someone explain how to use the Nightseeker effectively? My Nightseeker is level 18 right now and he's only good for blind. I have three points on dual wielding and I've started focusing on that skill where you can attack twice if you don't get hit, but he still does the least damage out of everyone in my party.

Top Bottom