• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan |OT|: Fight & Heal Brings 3D To Europe!

Eusis

There's no manual with the game. All copies, not just Amazon ones. Enough people complained that I guess Amazon has it down for the time being despite everything being right.

Unless I missed something, anyway.
It's possible people were getting their copies crushed in, but I'd think we'd have been hearing several anecdotes about that, I know mine wasn't.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I never really even touched forging. At the time I made the weapons I usually didn't have the parts needed to add them, and then later when I did I would forget.

The exception is I purposefully forged a dagger with 1 forge each of stun, petrify, paralyze, sleep, and something else I think which I then gave to my Arcanist who seems to land at least 1 of those a lot of the time (I would say 50% chance or so to get at least one).

Not crazy effective but it amuses me to have my arcanist stab for no damage and then the enemy dies from petrification.

TEJ

I'm stuck on floor 2 of the third stratum. I've searched every nook and cranny of this tiny area but i have found no way to go further into the floor.

if it helps, the entrance to the floor is at grid B2.

scy

I'm stuck on floor 2 of the third stratum. I've searched every nook and cranny of this tiny area but i have found no way to go further into the floor.

if it helps, the entrance to the floor is at grid B2.

There's nothing you can do at the B2 Entrance for the first time through there. Have you gone into both entrances to the dungeon?

The only time I used forges was a 3x frost affinity bow for my Sniper for the Boiling lizard. I'm not really sure it helped, but adding elemental damage toward a weakness made sense to me.

I wish I knew exactly how it worked though. Too bad the manual doesn't seem to go into depth about explaining forges or damage types.

One thing I noticed was that a conditional drop from a "kill with element" monster didn't work with an elemental weapon skill. It had to be a Runemaster skill. Now that I think of it, that doesn't make sense. For example, blazing link should drop a conditional for killing with fire, shouldn't it?

Oh, I realize it could be the drop rate. Some conditionals might not drop 100% of the time even if you meet the conditions. Correct me if I'm wrong...

scy

The only time I used forges was a 3x frost affinity bow for my Sniper for the Boiling lizard. I'm not really sure it helped, but adding elemental damage toward a weakness made sense to me.

Depends on if you were regular attacking or not. They don't do anything to your skills :x

I wish I knew exactly how it worked though. Too bad the manual doesn't seem to go into depth about explaining forges or damage types.

Elemental Forges are +7% Damage as whatever the forge is. It only applies to regular attacks. ATK/ELM Forges should be +3% but they apply to skills.

Someone mentioned that Links work with the Elemental Forges so I'm going to look into that when I get the chance.

Oh, I realize it could be the drop rate. Some conditionals might not drop 100% of the time even if you meet the conditions. Correct me if I'm wrong...

That is correct. They still have a drop rate, though almost all of them are pretty close to 100% as far as I'm aware.

slayn

Depends on if you were regular attacking or not. They don't do anything to your skills :x

Elemental Forges are +7% Damage as whatever the forge is. It only applies to regular attacks. ATK/ELM Forges should be +3% but they apply to skills.

Someone mentioned that Links work with the Elemental Forges so I'm going to look into that when I get the chance.

That is correct. They still have a drop rate, though almost all of them are pretty close to 100% as far as I'm aware.
It might have been fixed in the US version but I read in the japanese wiki that combining elemental links with elemental forges was bugged. And depending on which elemental link and which forge the element of the link actually got overwritten.

It was something like if you used fire link, the damage was fire no matter what but if you used volt link it would take the element of your weapon. So Volt link + Ice weapon = Ice link but Fire link + Ice weapon = Fire link.

But this might have been fixed and/or I misinterpreted the google translated japanese.

rpmurphy

How do you get the conditional drop of the
Berserker King
? I saw a Japanese wiki that said it's
1-turn kill... is this even possible at this stage
?

slayn

How do you get the conditional drop of the
Berserker King
? I saw a Japanese wiki that said it's
1-turn kill... is this even possible at this stage
?
Don't worry about it. You can't use the boss conditional drops until you get to the end game anyway.

But yes, you have the condition right. Just come back later.

This thread is getting painful now. I'll get III and IV on the 9th, but then have to play through III before touching IV. Gah. Maybe it wouldn't be too bad is I played IV first.

slayn

This thread is getting painful now. I'll get III and IV on the 9th, but then have to play through III before touching IV. Gah. Maybe it wouldn't be too bad is I played IV first.
I think IV would be easier to get into and better prepare you for III

rjc571

Banned
I was kind of disheartened as I opened the box today, only to find that the game doesn't include any physical manual whatsoever (not even a slip like what Nintendo's been including with their recent first party games). I mean, if they're going through the trouble of giving us a full color art book with a soundtrack CD, would it kill them to throw in an extra 20 page black and white booklet?

Ravager61

The lack of manual is annoying, especially with a game as complex as this. Hell, even a glossary of terms and abbreviations would have been helpful.

Anteo

This feels weird. Jeremy Parish's review for EOIV was just posted...on IGN: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/04/etrian-odyssey-iv-review

Looks like EGM's review went up today as well: http://www.egmnow.com/articles/reviews/egm-review-etrian-odyssey-iv-legends-of-the-titan/

I actually expect anything between 7.5 and 8.5

Edit:

IGN Review said:
Even on Casual, Etrian IV is one of the more difficult RPGs in recent memory, and forces you to create a balanced party and use smarter strategies than your basic "fight and heal.

Hmmm...

Edit 2: =/ No spoiler tags for scores? ok

fates

Anyone know the story with Amazon? They've got that "this item has been removed due to user complaints" notice up. Someone get a smashed box or something?

Anyone know the story with Amazon? They've got that "this item has been removed due to user complaints" notice up. Someone get a smashed box or something?

I think a bunch of clueless people complained that they didn't receive an instruction manual in the box.

Eusis

Just got the ability to ascend or descend...

there be dragons

:(
I thought I'd be able to go under. WRONG, MOTHERFUCKER.

Though I had bad luck one time and it spawned when it was impossible to avoid. I just suicide charged, reloaded, and idled away from the spawn point.

vall03

I thought I'd be able to go under. WRONG, MOTHERFUCKER.

Though I had bad luck one time and it spawned when it was impossible to avoid. I just suicide charged, reloaded, and idled away from the spawn point.

This reminds me of one instance wherein I thought I was perfectly safe. I was following its shiny drop trail until it made an unexpected turn to me. All those food wasted... :(

TEJ

Okay, how do you freeze/unfreeze water? I got to a dead end in B1 of stratum 3 where it mentions a guy with an ox head.

4 has been inherently better than 3 as while 4 gives you all the stupidly-powerful stuff you can equip, learn, and do they are NEEDED, unlike 3. 3 felt like cakewalk to what's been going down in 4, which has got me digging deep with strajerty and caution more and more as I've entered the 3rd stratum despite neat new tricks aplenty.

So I'm new to this series, and picked this up. I'm gonna read back through this thread for hints, but I have two questions from my play session last night:

1) I went with this party - Fortress / Land / Dancer on front row, Sniper / Medic in the back. Is a Medic and Dancer in the same party redundant?

2) I assume the game telling me how to avoid aggro'ing the giant fucking baboon with the afro was it's way of telling me that I shouldn't fight him, right? Cause I went ahead and did and he murdered my party post haste.

Him bending you over a countertop and having his way with you was the the game's way of telling you to avoid him. :p

I actually expect anything between 7.5 and 8.5

Hmmm...

Do not worry. Parrish knows. Parrish comprehends.

4th Land music..... holy shit.

Those are some big words you are speaking, friend.

Anteo

Okay, how do you freeze/unfreeze water? I got to a dead end in B1 of stratum 3 where it mentions a guy with an ox head.

Explore the dugeon, Whirlwind should have told you that there are 2 entrances to that dugeon, eventually you'll reach a place with a event to freeze everithing.

the music, good god, the music is so good.

tears are rolling down mah face.

Yeah, it is amazing, and I love the new battle theme too. But now I want to try some other things so the 4th dugeon has to wait. (Also I don't want to finish this game yet, so let's do some other things in game!)

TEJ

Explore the dugeon, Whirlwind should have told you that there are 2 entrances to that dugeon, eventually you'll reach a place with a event to freeze everithing.

Yeah, it is amazing, and I love the new battle theme too. But now I want to try some other things so the 4th dugeon has to wait. (Also I don't want to finish this game yet, so let's do some other things in game!)

read a few posts back, i already found the second entrance and now i'm at a roadblock where there's a path but the water is not frozen

Quick question about the
elemental dragons that wander the landscape. If I drop to low altitude, can I pass under them, or am I in danger no matter what altitude I use?

Saprol

read a few posts back, i already found the second entrance and now i'm at a roadblock where there's a path but the water is not frozen

Theres a larger pile of scales back in the first entrance. When you first see it you get a dialogue warning but ignore that crap and stake it.

lingiii

Banned

you have to shatter the big burning scale on that floor. each floor tracks freezing separately.

scy

There should be a
giant scale at D4 that you can pierce with an Ice Stake. Taking it out lowers the temperature on the floor so the water freezes

lingiii

Banned
Quick question about the
elemental dragons that wander the landscape. If I drop to low altitude, can I pass under them, or am I in danger no matter what altitude I use?

try it :)

you get boned no matter what. also, sometimes they move two spaces, so watch out

Anteo

Time for hints:

You should be able to freeze B1F w/o going through the other entrance.
You don't need to freeze the 2nd floor to proceed
However you need to go to the B2F entrance and work your way to the frozen B1F
The event to freeze B1F is in the room at the middle of the map.

I traded a rare food item to one of the NPCs on the land map, but I can't find the item I got in return. Its icon was like a fork and knife or something.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

vall03

Currently in B1F of the 4th area and I can't believe I have to avoid these FOEs. But fighting three of them at the same is not good. I'll get my revenge someday!

scy

How do you "force" them?

Drop their favorite food in front of them (e.g., Dream Eater's like Gold Stinkhorn's, Omnihunter likes Golden Goose) and they'll turn shiny when they eat it.

Currently in B1F of the 4th area and I can't believe I have to avoid these FOEs. But fighting three of them at the same is not good. I'll get my revenge someday!

Just man up!

The damage on the robo hounds was absurd the first time I fought them. Then I just figured them out (Sleep!) and it became pretty easy

Top Bottom