• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan |OT|: Fight & Heal Brings 3D To Europe!

tuffy

Now to ponder if I want a bushi in my party or not.
Between massive healing on normal attacks, TP restoration, auto-revive and a powerful set of special moves, my Bushi is a reliable damage-dealer with little setup and no maintenance. It just sits up on the front lines dealing out hurt (elemental and otherwise) while taking a near limitless amount of punishment.

Althane

It's good for random mobs, but otherwise there's more worthwhile stuffs to put it into if you're more concerned about bosses.

Do you know if the status effects all follow the same formula for chance to hit? Cursing a boss seems really useful, along with poison. But if they're really low probability, not particularly useful and a different class might be better for more consistent damage output.

Totakeke

Do you know if the status effects all follow the same formula for chance to hit? Cursing a boss seems really useful, along with poison. But if they're really low probability, not particularly useful and a different class might be better for more consistent damage output.

Arcanist main or sub definitely inflict ailments at higher chances compared to Nightseeker, but they're not that bad. On average it probably takes like 3 turns to hit inflict it for an average Nightseeker on a boss. Enemies also have different resistance levels for different ailments.

I've been using a Nightseeker finisher focused party since the beginning of the game till post-game, it has gone through some changes every now and then, but it's pretty reliable. Just know that for inflicting ailments and binds, you're looking for a character with high Luck stat.

Between massive healing on normal attacks, TP restoration, auto-revive and a powerful set of special moves, my Bushi is a reliable damage-dealer with little setup and no maintenance. It just sits up on the front lines dealing out hurt (elemental and otherwise) while taking a near limitless amount of punishment.

What is the rest of your party?

balddemon

Banned
Venom throw alone makes nighseeker worth it. 700 damage per turn at later levels.

Nekki

None of the sequels stuck to the progressively-darker forest theme quite like the first game and this one's no different. Each of the mazes has a distinct flavor for a nice change of scenery.

Nice, I'll probably get it sometime. Never played II and III though, and I might want to experience those (if I can ever get them).

scy

Just to note, Nightseeker Throws should have a better base chance than Arcanist Circles. Arcanist's just have the better 2*LUC+TEC on average as well as Ailment Boost. I believe all the Throws have the same rate and it's just down to the individual target's resistance but I do not have nearly enough tests to say that with any certainty ;_;

balddemon

Banned
What is your guys opinion on snipers? I like mine but he really doesn't do anything except flank shot and steel arrow. The binds are nice but they rarely land. I'm sure there is a better usage ofthat character slot.

Also, does anyone know of a website that shows all the drops of each monster?

Althane

What is your guys opinion on snipers? I like mine but he really doesn't do anything except flank shot and steel arrow. The binds are nice but they rarely land. I'm sure there is a better usage ofthat character slot.

So, I was rocking a sniper at the beginning (back when I was playing the demo!). The damage just didn't compare to a Nightseeker, and the fairly consistent blind was much more useful than the very inconsistent binds coming out from the sniper.

tuffy

I tried some of those fancy arrow skills at first since I needed some multi-target attacks, but that wasn't doing much good. So I rested, put all my points into the bind line and now they land all the time. Coupled with a Nightseeker subclass and weapon skill doubling means that even if the first try misses, the free second try often doesn't and is followed up with a free chase attack to boot.

I've thought about putting skills into the Divine Shot line, but once stuff is bound I like to keep them that way while my heavy hitters finish them off.

balddemon

Banned
My current set up is F / N / L in the front and S / R in the back. I'll try resetting The snipers points at 22 and see I I like the binds better, if not I'll replace with a medic I can sub with arcanist later.

Mugaaz

People saying Ranger sucks need to rest into max on all binds, then go either Arcanist and grab the bind increase, or nightseeker and double shot skill. Then max out Squall shot, your combo is leg bind > Squall shot. Then get max lock on and level 4 crit passive, open with lock on in boss fights. Bind Chase and Snipe mastery are hugely overrated, skip them until the end.

spiritfox

Binds are good, they have a higher hit percentage compared to Arcanists' circles, and if you sub Arcanist you can get further improved hit chances. Squall Volley is also pretty good if you can get a leg bind off, since they can't dodge then. However, they deal less damage compared to the focused damage classes like R or B, so they kinda fit in a position where they are sort of in the middle, jack-of-all-trades style. They're good if you need some kind of filler in the back row I guess, or if you want to run a link party, cause Squall Volley will proc at least 3 links (unless you miss them all lol).

Ferrio

Banned
So about to go into the 2nd maze. Irked that there's a few skills that I NEVER use that I've invested points into.. trying to resist the temptation to rest since it's not really hurting me in anyway. Since I'll probably end up retiring these characters.

Also I don't see much point with the fortress's block abilities (pick a character/line to block for) since you can't know who'll get hit and with what. Sucks you gotta invest in them to get party block.

Mugaaz

Links are kinda broken imo, just way too good. they also really force your party into a specific setup. This game is easy enough as it is, no need to exploit links.

zashga

Also I don't see much point with the fortress's block abilities (pick a character/line to block for) since you can't know who'll get hit and with what. Sucks you gotta invest in them to get party block.

I use the single-ally block sometimes when someone (especially the healer) is low on HP and I want to be sure they survive to receive a heal next turn. I worry about using party block against enemies with high damage AoE abilities; I tend to favor strike/element guard for general party protection. My play style is probably far from optimal, though.

scy

Links are kinda broken imo, just way too good. they also really force your party into a specific setup. This game is easy enough as it is, no need to exploit links.

Of the end-game party setups, it's not really the best anymore.

Which, really, is more a testament to the damage output of a lategame Nightseeker or Imperial rather than anything against a Landsknecht.

tuffy

I use the single-ally block sometimes when someone (especially the healer) is low on HP and I want to be sure they survive to receive a heal next turn. I worry about using party block against enemies with high damage AoE abilities; I tend to favor strike/element guard for general party protection. My play style is probably far from optimal, though.
Though potentially risky, the Fortress' "nullify damage" passive skill combined with a Dancer subclass Fan Dance often means that Cover All will only result in a single hit or two and refill the TP bar in the process if you're in the front row. Or if you've got TP refill items to spare, Cover All from the back row is even less risky since hits that get through will be at half strength.

jineha

Neo Member
My current party is L/R D/N I/R, S/A A/R.
I know it's too offensive. I tried
the last dragon
about 20 times, finally I can beat it (mainly by luck).
I like 4 doesn't require any specific party to beat post game bosses.

My current party is L/R D/N I/R, S/A A/R.
I know it's too offensive. I tried
the last dragon [/spiler] about 20 times, finally I can beat it (mainly by luck).
I like 4 doesn't require any specific party to beat post game bosses.
Dragons? What?

SPOOOOOOILEEEER AAAALEEEERRT

scy

Dragons? What?

SPOOOOOOILEEEER AAAALEEEERRT

Not sure if serious but you can see the Dragons as early as maybe an hour into the game :x

What is the best endgame setup?

I/B I/B with some assortment of the rest of the buffs (Dancer, Medic) and debuffs (Arcanist, Runemaster, Sniper) is the most likely candidate for "best" party in terms of raw damage output.

I'm hesitant to really say there's anything that can really be called "best." Links just fall out of favor a bit compared to "turn 2, I deal all of the damages" setups.

Or, basically, Imperials do a metric fuckton of damage and you can just plan around ending fights before you deal with their cooldown period.

Edit: Just to note though, Links are still amazing in the end-game. There's just faster setups as well. There's a lot of viable options, really. Anything short of "We just defend a lot and then hooray win!" is probably able to find a way to victory.

So my brother just bought this game yesterday, and was playing it on his 3DS. I tried playing his copy on mine today, but it kept his save file on the cart though. Is there some way to play this - or any 3DS game - with having the save files on the 3DS instead of shared on the cart?

Miker

Thinking about getting this - is there anything to break up the tedium of simply dungeon crawling? Any sort of puzzles within the dungeons themselves, or any other diversions to add some variety to the game? I like what I've played of the demo so far, but I'm afraid that if there's not enough variety, I'd get burned out on purely dungeon crawling.

Anteo

So my brother just bought this game yesterday, and was playing it on his 3DS. I tried playing his copy on mine today, but it kept his save file on the cart though. Is there some way to play this - or any 3DS game - with having the save files on the 3DS instead of shared on the cart?

That's exactly how carts work. And no, there is no way currently.

Not sure if serious but you can see the Dragons as early as maybe an hour into the game :x

Oh god I'm 9 hours into the game and haven't even cleared B3 of Lush Woodlands.

Also how do you set up a link party?

Landsnake opens up with Vanguard, Dancer with Trick Samba? Next turn go to town with Links?

Thinking about getting this - is there anything to break up the tedium of simply dungeon crawling? Any sort of puzzles within the dungeons themselves, or any other diversions to add some variety to the game? I like what I've played of the demo so far, but I'm afraid that if there's not enough variety, I'd get burned out on purely dungeon crawling.

There's a bit of story, quests, planning your party. Farming for materials. The dungeons and especially caves are pretty short, 3 and 1 floors respectively. Mapping and combat are almost different aspects of the gameplay. There are some "puzzle" aspects to the maps.

scy

Oh god I'm 9 hours into the game and haven't even cleared B3 of Lush Woodlands.

They fly by on the overworld map randomly is what I meant. I want to say you see one fly by as a forced event at some point early on.

Also how do you set up a link party?

Landsnake opens up with Vanguard, Dancer with Trick Samba? Next turn go to town with Links?

Turn 1 would be Vanguard from the Landsknecht and Attack Tango from the Dancer; Turn 2 would be Improved Link and Chase Samba/Trick Samba. Turn 3 is when the Landsknecht spams Links and the Dancer does Rush Dance/Regular Attacks.

tuffy

Turn 1 would be Vanguard from the Landsknecht and Attack Tango from the Dancer; Turn 2 would be Improved Link and Chase Samba/Trick Samba. Turn 3 is when the Landsknecht spams Links and the Dancer does Rush Dance/Regular Attacks.
And Improved Link doesn't open up until level 20, so it may not be available right now if you're still in the early game. But don't be afraid to hold onto skill points for later if you want to build in that direction.

BearChair

Can anyone help me with the final mark quest in the fourth area. I've found the four elemental marks now I'm supposed to attack some
boss of some kind
but I don't know how to make it show up. Any clues?

scy

And Improved Link doesn't open up until level 20, so it may not be available right now if you're still in the early game. But don't be afraid to hold onto skill points for later if you want to build in that direction.

Yeah, Links just aren't that great until Improved Link and it takes until 40 for them to really stand out.

Can anyone help me with the final mark quest in the fourth area. I've found the four elemental marks now I'm supposed to attack some
boss of some kind
but I don't know how to make it show up. Any clues?

You're supposed to
check each of the marks in the order of the "riddle" they tell you

They fly by on the overworld map randomly is what I meant. I want to say you see one fly by as a forced event at some point early on.

Ah I see. How much do I want to invest in Attack Tango? Maxed I assume?

I'm kind of surprised that the 2 turns of setup isn't devastating. Though I guess that's what a Fortress is for. How exactly do you find time for Regeneration Waltz?

Yeah, Links just aren't that great until Improved Link and it takes until 40 for them to really stand out.

Heh I've noticed. Right now I'm using Links mostly for an elemental attack on my Land.

Also what is the reason for using Rapiers? They are weaker than swords, so I'm not sure if I should use them on my Land or not. I've only been using them so I have a thrust damage type on my team.

Also what's the point of daggers? Nightseekers can also use Swords, which again, are stronger than daggers.

scy

Ah I see. How much do I want to invest in Attack Tango? Maxed I assume?

I'm kind of surprised that the 2 turns of setup isn't devastating. Though I guess that's what a Fortress is for. How exactly do you find time for Regeneration Waltz?

I just consider the Chase/Trick Samba to be a luxury and replace it with Regen Waltz. Honestly, you have enough tools eventually that you can potentially not even need the healing (and/or just offload it to someone else).

The two turn setup isn't that big of a deal, really. Against the Dragons, for instance, you can hit 100% Resistance fairly easily so Turn 1 is free and Turn 2 can use a Burst to prevent the damage outright.

Also what is the reason for using Rapiers? They are weaker than swords, so I'm not sure if I should use them on my Land or not. I've only been using them so I have a thrust damage type on my team.

Also what's the point of daggers? Nightseekers can also use Swords, which again, are stronger than daggers.

They're faster for turn order; Rapiers also give you a different Damage type. Daggers also tend to have access to more Weapons with multiple free slots early on so they're better for forging purposes.

Miker

There's a bit of story, quests, planning your party. Farming for materials. The dungeons and especially caves are pretty short, 3 and 1 floors respectively. Mapping and combat are almost different aspects of the gameplay. There are some "puzzle" aspects to the maps.

Hmm thanks for the reply. I guess I should finish the demo and see if it leaves me wanting more.

I'm starting to feel pretty damn powerful now.

What are some good Fortress builds? Right now I have Iron Wall (+defense passive) maxed, along with Taunt, and Proficiency. I'm starting to put some into Ally Shield.

KarmaCow

So in the 4th Land,
in the Echoing Library there is a bookcase where you can push books in a certain combination. There was a note about it near the door but I guess I wrote it down wrong because I still just took damage. What is the combination?

Anteo

I think i'm gonna have to go to gamefaqs and check. I didn't wanted to, because of spoilers an stuff

You shouldn't have to. You can check the resistance of enemies that you have defeated by pressing R in battle. Also if you are facing a new Enemy you can use the Analyze Burst to get the info in your logbook (so you can press R to check)

So in the 4th Land,
in the Echoing Library there is a bookcase where you can push books in a certain combination. There was a note about it near the door but I guess I wrote it down wrong because I still just took damage. What is the combination?

Right  
Down 
Up    
Left  

Anteo

I must have goofed up with my mapping or something because I still can't open the door in Moth Garden.

Postgame
A quest asks you to get the pieces of the key from different NPCs. Inside there is a item that your client wants to have. Or so he says.

Top Bottom