• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan |OT|: Fight & Heal Brings 3D To Europe!

zashga

Made it to the last boss, lost first try. I'm having problems with accuracy, particularly with my Imperial. Nothing more annoying than seeing "miss" after that flashy drive animation. Gotta see about getting some +hit stuff, I guess.

scy

Is there some weight stat to weapons and armor that I'm missing? I understand that heavier armor and weapons will reduce character speed, making them act later in the turn. But when I'm looking at different equips for a character I'm not seeing a stat change. Is there a way I can determine the speed impact (re: turn order) of an item before I equip it?

Turn Order is:
Character Agility + Skill Modifiers + Equipment Modifiers + 2 * # of SPD Forges + Rn(0..4)

I do not have a list of all Skill Mods so I suppose knowing the above formula doesn't help you that much ;_; Equipment modifiers are:

Light Armor: +2 Speed
Medium Armor: -1 Speed
Heavy Armor: -2 Speed

Shoes: +4 Speed
Gloves: +1 Speed
Shield: -2 Speed

Accessories and Helms are +0.

Daggers: +3 Speed
Katanas: +2 Speed
Rapiers: +2 Speed
Swords: -2 Speed
Maces: -3 Speed
Gunblade: -4 Speed

Bows and Staves are +0.

[Note: There's probably an exception somewhere.]

Also, the three armor types - is this basically just heavy, medium, and light? Are there better types to use with certain classes? Is it just the turn order thing or is there something else to consider?

It's just the turn-order thing, really. Well, they also tend to have different Forges but that's more a per-item thing instead of a some kind of rule.

Besides equips, what is the best way to prevent status problems? I could easily destroy the dream eaters for hella xp, except for the fact that they put everyone to sleep.

There's Food you can eat in the area for Sleep Resistance, if I recall. But, items are the easiest way. They do relatively little damage so loosing ~15 Armor in a slot for Sleep Resistance isn't a huge setback.

Made it to the last boss, lost first try. I'm having problems with accuracy, particularly with my Imperial. Nothing more annoying than seeing "miss" after that flashy drive animation. Gotta see about getting some +hit stuff, I guess.

Blind, Leg Bind, Paralyze, Sleep, and Confuse all modify Evasion so you can try any of those as well.

Arcanist circles during fights, and Healing Walk outside of fights. Dismiss Heal can do hundreds of points worth in a pinch. I've also subclassed Medic for status effect removal and a point's worth of reviving.

The Master-level "heal on normal attacks" combined with dual weilding is a lifesaver, as is the auto-revive and auto-Blood Surge. But don't put more than a single point into Blood Surge itself since the subsequent boosts add a huge amount of damage dealt to you but provide hardly any additional damage to enemies.

By dual-wielding on the Bushi, you just mean that skill (defiance?) that boosts attack power, right? You don't hit twice... I dropped it because I didn't need to use both weapon skills at the same time, although I might do it again on a new Bushi. Maybe sub Nightseeker. Then you can really hit twice, I think.

Oh, and I maxed Blood Surge, you can always use Deep Breath. But my Bushi's damage still pales in comparison to my Imperial. I think Ive seen my Bushi do between 2 and 3,000 though.

Roubjon

Does a Nightseeker do more damage depending on how many ailments an enemy has, or is it simply based on if the enemy is inflicted or not.

tuffy

By dual-wielding on the Bushi, you just mean that skill (defiance?) that boosts attack power, right? You don't hit twice... I dropped it because I didn't need to use both weapon skills at the same time, although I might do it again on a new Bushi. Maybe sub Nightseeker. Then you can really hit twice, I think.
I subbed Nightseeker to really hit twice. This causes the Bushi healing and TP restoration to kick in twice which more than makes up for the loss of an armor slot.

Turn Order is:
Character Agility + Skill Modifiers + Equipment Modifiers + 2 * # of SPD Forges + Rn(0..4)

I do not have a list of all Skill Mods so I suppose knowing the above formula doesn't help you that much ;_; Equipment modifiers are:

Light Armor: +2 Speed
Medium Armor: -1 Speed
Heavy Armor: -2 Speed

Shoes: +4 Speed
Gloves: +1 Speed
Shield: -2 Speed

Accessories and Helms are +0.

Daggers: +3 Speed
Katanas: +2 Speed
Rapiers: +2 Speed
Swords: -2 Speed
Maces: -3 Speed
Gunblade: -4 Speed

Bows and Staves are +0.

I think you should make a GameFAQs FAQ for all of the info you've been posting!

balddemon

Banned
awesome thanks, I'll try the eating some food to gain sleep resist and if that doesn't help I'll just make some sleep guards for everyone.

damage wise, should I be using a sword or a rapier for my landshark? rapiers have a higher attack priority, but on all bosses and tough enemies I use vanguard so that doesn't matter.

spiritfox

awesome thanks, I'll try the eating some food to gain sleep resist and if that doesn't help I'll just make some sleep guards for everyone.

damage wise, should I be using a sword or a rapier for my landshark? rapiers have a higher attack priority, but on all bosses and tough enemies I use vanguard so that doesn't matter.

Swords generally have higher damage, so unless you want stab damage, swords are the way to go. It doesn't really matter much either way.

Where's the fire hammer? I'm only missing that and death, which I assume would be in the 6th maze.

I do not have a list of all Skill Mods so I suppose knowing the above formula doesn't help you that much ;_;

I do know that drives have ridiculously low priority!

scy

Does a Nightseeker do more damage depending on how many ailments an enemy has, or is it simply based on if the enemy is inflicted or not.

Enemies can only have one status effect.

I think you should make a GameFAQs FAQ for all of the info you've been posting!

Contrary to what it may seem, I'm a very lazy person.

Bartender portrait op

Generally, Swords will have the better damage. Double Strike uses the typing of your weapon so Rapiers stand out vs the few enemies with a Stab Weakness so that's worth consideration if you use it. But, generally speaking, just use whichever gives you the most Weapon Attack with maybe some late game consideration to which has more Forge slots.

On that note, I never actually checked but ... the two Weapon skill lines of the Landsknecht are actually Weapon dependent, right?

Where's the fire hammer? I'm only missing that and death, which I assume would be in the 6th maze.

If I recall, the Small Orchard.

balddemon

Banned
Bartender portrait op

Generally, Swords will have the better damage. Double Strike uses the typing of your weapon so Rapiers stand out vs the few enemies with a Stab Weakness so that's worth consideration if you use it. But, generally speaking, just use whichever gives you the most Weapon Attack with maybe some late game consideration to which has more Forge slots.

On that note, I never actually checked but ... the two Weapon skill lines of the Landsknecht are actually Weapon dependent, right?

yeah they are, that's why I asked. I'm gonna have to pick one or the other eventually. probably go with swords in the end. what about sonic raid? I'm thinking about picking that up again even though I'm not using links, just for a cheap priority move (kinda like quick attack or vacuum wave :p). double strike is expensive (11 TP).

scy

Post game thing.

So I just triggered a event with the
Medium, and somehow I'm fighting the final boss again. I was not prepared. I'm going to die.

To be fair, it warned you!

"Are you sure?"

[Yes]

"No, seriously, you sure?"

[Yes]

"Okay, for reals, it's PRETTY HORRIBLE AND THIS WILL BE BAD. You still sure?"

[Yes]

"ffs, fine."

Anteo

yeah they are, that's why I asked. I'm gonna have to pick one or the other eventually. probably go with swords in the end. what about sonic raid? I'm thinking about picking that up again even though I'm not using links, just for a cheap priority move (kinda like quick attack or vacuum wave :p). double strike is expensive (11 TP).

Since I don't use links, I started with the sword skills, but later in the game, I got the Dual Wield thing for the landsknecht so now I have rapier and swords skills.

To be fair, it warned you!

"Are you sure?"

[Yes]

"No, seriously, you sure?"

[Yes]

"Okay, for reals, it's PRETTY HORRIBLE AND THIS WILL BE BAD. You still sure?"

[Yes]

"ffs, fine."

I didn't expect that, I though that was maybe the start of a quest or something. And when it triggered I expected
some mid boss thing like the bird at the Cramped Nest.
I'm so dead.

Edit2:
Ok What. The. Hell.
This time my NS was hitting for twice the damage. I think I beat it around lvl 62? 5 levels later and is this easy? I got Foul Mastery on him but that can give him that much damage right? Also I haven't upgraded my gear since the first time I faced that last boss.

Enemies can only have one status effect.

See, I'm pretty sure one of the later Nightseeker passives states that they do increased damage with to an enemy for each condition applied. It makes it sound like you can apply multiple statuses to a single enemy.

Anteo

See, I'm pretty sure one of the later Nightseeker passives states that they do increased damage with to an enemy for each condition applied. It makes it sound like you can apply multiple statuses to a single enemy.

What it means is, in a long fight, your attack will increase every time your NS lands a status, it doens't have to be on the same enemy, it doesn't matter if the enemy cleans the status in one turn.. So you get bind at turn 2 you get +atk until you die or the fight ends. Then at turn 7 you get Venom, again +atk on top of the last one and so on.

scy

I didn't expect that, I though that was maybe the start of a quest or something. And when it triggered I expected
some mid boss thing like the bird at the Cramped Nest.
I'm so dead.

Edit2:
Ok What. The. Hell.
This time my NS was hitting for twice the damage. I think I beat it around lvl 62? 5 levels later and is this easy? I got Foul Mastery on him but that can give him that much damage right? Also I haven't upgraded my gear since the first time I faced that last boss. Maybe I beat it at <60? I can't remember.

Well,
Foul Mastery is up to +100% Damage so if you have that maxed and did an all-target Throw to start off the fight, that's +75% Damage right there

It's a counter that ticks up every time you apply a Status Effect. It's a passive buff on the Nightseeker.

What it means is, in a long fight, your attack will increase every time your NS lands a status, it doens't have to be on the same enemy, it doesn't matter if the enemy cleans the status in one turn.. So you get bind at turn 2 you get +atk until you die or the fight ends. Then at turn 7 you get Venom, again +atk on top of the last one and so on.

Makes sense. I just think it is poorly worded.

Anteo

Well,
Foul Mastery is up to +100% Damage so if you have that maxed and did an all-target Throw to start off the fight, that's +75% Damage right there

Right!
I landed Venom on both hands and the face so that must be it.

Somewhat new to the series:

Is there a lvl guide somewhere for what lvl you should be to take on FOE's. I'm only at the 2nd lvl of the Lush Forest.

Still have the Baboon Roaming around in the 1st Dungeon, the Deer in the Small Orchard, All the Bears in the Lush Forest. Kangaroos, Birds, etc.

Just wondering what the best lvl is to attempt each

Just like Fire Emblem was my first Fire Emblem, This is my First EO, so if I'm playing EO I'm playing some EO, no casual mode, all in. Just don't want to waste time either.

Thanks in advance.

scy

Right!
I landed Venom on both hands and the face so that must be it.

Also, worth note is that
it's a multiplier so saying +25% per application is a little misleading. It's up to a 200% damage multiplier which means that just the Nightseeker Passive and the Mastery is 560% Base Damage

No one calls you lazy, answering all questions in detail. I'm very impressed.

Glad to be of help :x

Is there a lvl guide somewhere for what lvl you should be to take on FOE's. I'm only at the 2nd lvl of the Lush Forest.

Still have the Baboon Roaming around in the 1st Dungeon, the Deer in the Small Orchard, All the Bears in the Lush Forest. Kangaroos, Birds, etc.

Just like Fire Emblem was my first Fire Emblem, This is my First EO, so if I'm playing EO I'm playing some EO, no casual mode, all in. Just don't want to waste time either.

Thanks in advance.

Generally speaking, you can follow the in-game recommendations: When the "aura" around the FoE icon on the map turns blue, you should be fine fighting it. Yellow is doable and Red should be to stay away. The purple-ish "aura" indicates they're a bit special so there's no gauging their relative power to you.

Anteo

Thanks in advance.

Don't worry about that. It largely depends on your party config, your experience with EO and your equips. A rule I always like to use is: As soon as you get to the boss of the Maze, go back and kill all the FOE's as practice. Also the FOEs are color coded with their auras on the map. A red aura means RUN, a yellow aura means it's possible with the right strat, a blue aura means you should be around the right level but be careful (I've been wiped by FOEs marked blue)

It's just that for example I had to go digging thru the thread to find info on what binds do (lower evasion, etc). An FAQ of useful info would be handy.

jineha

Neo Member

Thanks in advance.

Blue aura is the sign. But in my opinion, trying FOEs and sometimes wiped away is one of the most fantastic parts of EO. So you can try them anytime you want, of course it's safe to save at the inn before you do that.
EO fans WANT to be game over, I think.

Anteo

Blue aura is the sign. But in my opinion, trying FOEs and sometimes wiped away is one of the most fantastic parts of EO. So you can try them anytime you want, of course it's safe to save at the inn before you do that.
EO fans WANT to be game over, I think.

It's no EO with no game overs!

Nah, not losing your progress was very nice. I recommend casual mode. The game is still fun.

I am going to hate getting game overs from petrify in normal.

scy

I just find the damage and resistance bonus it gives a little excessive (or, I dunno, at least mention it). If it was just perma-thread and no Game Overs, that's not too big of a deal. Halving the damage taken is kind of odd though.

@Petrify - Refresh Waltz, there's two skills that prevent Status Effects outright (Arcanist Passive, Fortress Active), you can equip for it, and there's a Burst Skill you can use to group-wide cure it.

jineha

Neo Member
Honestly, I never try FOEs when I first meet them. Because try to avoid them is also fun. No FOE maze is absolutely boring to explore.
If you can't kill some FOE, forget about it and try later. They never run.

Anteo

I just find the damage and resistance bonus it gives a little excessive (or, I dunno, at least mention it). If it was just perma-thread and no Game Overs, that's not too big of a deal. Halving the damage taken is kind of odd though.

@Petrify - Refresh Waltz, there's two skills that prevent Status Effects outright (Arcanist Passive, Fortress Active), you can equip for it, and there's a Burst Skill you can use to group-wide cure it.

My Fortress is too slow u.u. The only way for me to survive is using Superspeed first.

JoeFu

Banned
Beat the third maze, but this was pretty hard compared to the other two. I think I'm just terrible at this game haha. My guys were level 40 and I died three times because I didn't have enough ice spikes. I finally beat the thing when I went into the battle with 12 of them.

scy

Did you
take out the large scale in the back? It halves his health and allows you to preemptive strike him which makes the fight a lot easier. Kibagami's Roar can also remove the Healing buff the Boiling Lizard does (alternatively, a Metopon item will do the same)

JoeFu

Banned
Did you
take out the large scale in the back? It halves his health and allows you to preemptive strike him which makes the fight a lot easier. Kibagami's Roar can also remove the Healing buff the Boiling Lizard does (alternatively, a Metopon item will do the same)

Yeah I did, and I still sucked at fighting him. Didn't think about using that skill... oh well. I killed him so whatever.

Okay, I need help again. Sorry to keep doing this. :|

I'm trying to do this "Please find the Snow Garden" quest, and I can't find it anywhere. Do I need another airship upgrade? I feel like I've searched all over the map, and I've gone as far Northwest as I can. I was told it was in A-1, bur I can't get all the way over there. :|

balddemon

Banned
Okay, I need help again. Sorry to keep doing this. :|

I'm trying to do this "Please find the Snow Garden" quest, and I can't find it anywhere. Do I need another airship upgrade? I feel like I've searched all over the map, and I've gone as far Northwest as I can. I was told it was in A-1, bur I can't get all the way over there. :|

spoilers in the link, pertinent to the quest.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/997793-etrian-odyssey-iv-legends-of-the-titan/65586537

I guess there is an item that lets you
through tornadoes
?

scy

Er, not quite. It's at
A1 (5,4) during the day time
. You can do it as soon as you get the quest, though the FoE there makes it dicey so be prepared to lure it away (or just kill it, I guess).

I think the Casual Mode is there for a very good reason. I'm actually glad that it exists in the first place.

IDK then I feel like I'm not getting the experience. Fire Emblem wouldnt have been the same if I didnt have to think every move out. My thing is that if I go exploring a cave and then get stuck with a FOE on my ass and then an enemy appears then the FOE joins, its just a pain in the ass, cuz you can then lose all that in game exp. I am liking it though, like Fire Emblem have to think things through, little more convoluted though as far as linking and items selling vs keeping, etc. A Manual wouldve been nice with the game as a reference point while playing. Or a Map Key, I'm making my own legend basically as there is no descriptor for what anything means,

scy

...little more convoluted though as far as linking and items selling vs keeping, etc.

Links are an attack that marks a target that deals follow-up damage on the next attack that turn. That's about it, really. There's later skills that let that mark be trigger multiple times that turn and to deal more damage each time but it's still the same skill at it's core.

As for saving items, you don't need to save any drops at all outside of quest related ones. Which the game will point out to you when you go to sell things and you have a quest-related drop in your inventory.

Or a Map Key, I'm making my own legend basically as there is no descriptor for what anything means,

That's kind of the point, actually.

lol the kangaroos are a bit ridiculous. Blue aura so I took one on. It went smooth, but the turn before I finish them off it fucking uppercuts my Landsnekcht instead of attacking my Fortress and one shots him from full to dead. -_-

lingiii

Banned
oh hot tots. I beat 4th labyrinth boss like he wasn't nothing. Bind Head shot and Bind Arm circle both procced on the first turn, and I crushed him into the ground in like two rounds of Chain-chasing.

then I left the labyrinth to the overworld and saw there were new FOEs and they were all rated blue. stupidly I thought "oh man I'll just knock off one of those mantises by making him gold with the rare fish, get my levels I'm so close on, and then head back to town and rest my bros."

FOOLISH, OF COURSE.

Dude destroys me for no good reason. Go back to re-kill 4th labyrinth boss, and he walks all over my face. :(

such hard swings! such hubris! so close to the sun!

Anteo

lol the kangaroos are a bit ridiculous. Blue aura so I took one on. It went smooth, but the turn before I finish them off it fucking uppercuts my Landsnekcht instead of attacking my Fortress and one shots him from full to dead. -_-

oh hot tots. I beat 4th labyrinth boss like he wasn't nothing. Bind Head shot and Bind Arm circle both procced on the first turn, and I crushed him into the ground in like two rounds of Chain-chasing.

then I left the labyrinth to the overworld and saw there were new FOEs and they were all rated blue. stupidly I thought "oh man I'll just knock off one of those mantises by making him gold with the rare fish, get my levels I'm so close on, and then head back to town and rest my bros."

FOOLISH, OF COURSE.

Dude destroys me for no good reason. Go back to re-kill 4th labyrinth boss, and he walks all over my face. :(

such hard swings! such hubris! so close to the sun!

This is just the game reminding you that you are actually playing Etrian Odyssey. Blue aura?? What blue Aura the game says.

Top Bottom