• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan |OT|: Fight & Heal Brings 3D To Europe!

Does anyone know the formula for the weapon forging bonuses? For example, I just got the King Slicer which has five blank slots. I'm trying to figure out what I want to synth onto it. Is it better to do five of the same ailment or to mix it up with five separate ones?

Also, any suggestions for what the most useful status ailment is? I'm using this on my Medic and I'd like to incapacitate the enemy some, but I'm not sure if I want to bind, poison, stun, instant death, etc. I thought about giving it a suite of abilities as well but who knows how that goes.

Stupid boss on floor B3F of Lush Woodlands. I don't want to do this puzzle boss business.
How do I draw the big bear away from the other two bears?

Anteo

Stupid boss on floor B3F of Lush Woodlands. I don't want to do this puzzle boss business.
How do I draw the big bear away from the other two bears?

You don't.
I guess you want a fight with him w/o the other FOEs joining?
I think the game suggests what to do, but I'm not sure.

1)
You may want to explore the area a little more.
2)
There should be a way around those guys.
3)
Maybe an alternate path, to get him from behind.

4)
There should be a path around E5, going from D5

ohlawd

Postgame
A quest asks you to get the pieces of the key from different NPCs. Inside there is a item that your client wants to have. Or so he says.

another quest related thing... ah man. The only quest I have left is the final mark quest from the 4th Land with "Earth blows wind" or whatever lols. Dunno how to solve it cuz I'm dumb :p

Did I miss a pre req quest?

Anteo

another quest related thing... ah man. The only quest I have left is the final mark quest from the 4th Land with "Earth blows wind" or whatever lols. Dunno how to solve it cuz I'm dumb :p

Did I miss a pre req quest?

Maybe is related, idk, and I had to resort to a guide for that one, it was pretty simple except for one small thing.

Yes, you are supposed to
check the marks in the same order as said by the text.

The problem is that you
should avoid any other mark, like not even fly above them. Like if the next one is earth, fly in diagonal or something, just don't go over Water even if you don't plant to check it.

ohlawd

k nice I beat the quest. I restarted though since I want the conditional too. I'll just cheat and use that thing that gets you all items it drops on the turn you kill it :s

You don't.
I guess you want a fight with him w/o the other FOEs joining?
I think the game suggests what to do, but I'm not sure.

1)
You may want to explore the area a little more.
2)
There should be a way around those guys.
3)
Maybe an alternate path, to get him from behind.

4)
There should be a path around E5, going from D5

Thanks.

I managed to take the boss down to 1/2 health and then he started doing all party attacks, and counters. Is there some tell that he will be popping a counter soon?

Also do status effects have higher % chance from front row? This may be confirmation bias but I swear my Nightseeker's status never goes off when she is in the back row.

Anteo

Thanks.

I managed to take the boss down to 1/2 health and then he started doing all party attacks, and counters. Is there some tell that he will be popping a counter soon?

Also do status effects have higher % chance from front row? This may be confirmation bias but I swear my Nightseeker's status never goes off when she is in the back row.

iirc there should be a pattern on that counter. Try counting the turns between every counter. I really don't know about the NS thing, sorry.

Does anyone know the formula for the weapon forging bonuses? For example, I just got the King Slicer which has five blank slots. I'm trying to figure out what I want to synth onto it. Is it better to do five of the same ailment or to mix it up with five separate ones?

Also, any suggestions for what the most useful status ailment is? I'm using this on my Medic and I'd like to incapacitate the enemy some, but I'm not sure if I want to bind, poison, stun, instant death, etc. I thought about giving it a suite of abilities as well but who knows how that goes.

From what I've seen in this series, each node is ~10% reguarding Binds and Ailments; of Stats, I think that grows over time; I'm around 40 and each node is giving me around 1 point. Scy would know way more, I'd risk.

I'm VERY partial to +Hit as Leg Bind is situationally useful for shutting down enemies enough to warrant deep speccing into it or Forging.

Depends on what you're hunting, really.

Paralyse and Poison have been relatively reliable for me (poison's damage is all over the board though), but it's Stun that's been ace for me. I had my L, N, and my D all on the front line rocking that Harpe sword (two +Stun nodes) for a while. Shit on lockdown, mang bar a few FOEs.

ohlawd

doesn't he stand still and sponge attacks for like 2-3 turns before he unleashes his party attacks?
You'll have to dish A LOT of damage while he's doing that so he can stagger.

then again it's been so long so I'm probably forgetting

iirc there should be a pattern on that counter. Try counting the turns between every counter. I really don't know about the NS thing, sorry.

Alright, I'll start counting.

Speaking of turn counters, is there a menu that shows the time that remains for certain skills? If not, does the activation turn for a skill count as one of the turns it is up?

For example, if I use Regen Waltz on Turn 1 (lasts for 3 turns) does it run out at the end of Turn 3 or Turn 4?

doesn't he stand still and sponge attacks for like 2-3 turns before he unleashes his party attacks?
You'll have to dish A LOT of damage while he's doing that so he can stagger.

then again it's been so long so I'm probably forgetting

He has different counters. One he pops up mid turn unexpectedly, and will counter any physical based hit.

The other he does at the end of turn and will absorb all damage for the next 2 turns before unleashing. That one is easy to work around.

Oh and last thing: Status effects. Are certain enemies more susceptible to certain types of status?

Anteo

Alright, I'll start counting.

Speaking of turn counters, is there a menu that shows the time that remains for certain skills? If not, does the activation turn for a skill count as one of the turns it is up?

For example, if I use Regen Waltz on Turn 1 (lasts for 3 turns) does it run out at the end of Turn 3 or Turn 4?

He has different counters. One he pops up mid turn unexpectedly, and will counter any physical based hit.

The other he does at the end of turn and will absorb all damage for the next 2 turns before unleashing. That one is easy to work around.

Press Y mid battle to check your buffs, and how many turns are left.
Press Y again to check the debuffs. This is really important in post game content (and really hard to figure out why)

The one where he absorbs, I though I should just defend and use Strike Guard, but after coming back to face him again I discovered
He flinch after you deal enough damage. Not sure how much, something between 200 and 300.

Edit:

Oh and last thing: Status effects. Are certain enemies more susceptible to certain types of status?

Yes, some monster have higher resistance to some effects. Also the enemies get resistance everytime you apply a ailment, so the second time you are going for that blind, is going to be harder. (There is a Burst that extends the duration of ailments, that helps a lot).

Edit2: The extra resistence is applied per ailment, so if you land a blind, only the next blind will be harder. The paralysis for example will be as easy as always, until you land one.

Yes, some monster have higher resistance to some effects. Also the enemies get resistance everytime you apply a ailment, so the second time you are going for that blind, is going to be harder. (There is a Burst that extends the duration of ailments, that helps a lot)

Aha! Suddenly her status failing to go off twice on bosses makes sense.

Roubjon

I just killed the boss of the Lush Woodlands on my first try but wow, my heart was actually racing by the end. All that was left was my Fortress and medic, and both of them had no more magic left and probably would have died the next turn.

That is some great RPG goodness right there.

scy

From what I've seen in this series, each node is ~10% reguarding Binds and Ailments; of Stats, I think that grows over time; I'm around 40 and each node is giving me around 1 point. Scy would know way more, I'd risk.

:lol

On Weapons:
Fire/Ice/Volt - +7% Damage as Element (Regular Attacks only)
Status Effects / Binds - 3% Chance (Regular Attacks only, needs testing to double-check exact percentages)

On Armor/Accessories:
Fire/Ice/Volt/Cut/Stab/Bash - +10% Resistance
Status Effects / Binds - +10% Resistance

General Stuff:
Stats - +1 Stat
HP/TP - +5% HP/TP
ATK - +3% Physical Damage
ELM - +3% Elemental Damage
HIT = +3 Accuracy
CRI = +3 Critical
SPD = +2 Speed

I probably forgot something.

Something I need to check is what precisely Burst forges do. Right now, I think it's +1 tick per Forge but I haven't tried any testing for it.

Edit: As to what Status Effects to forge, Petrify or Instant Death is my go-to one since it's nice to have (+ they both work on at least one post-game boss!).

Paralyse and Poison have been relatively reliable for me (poison's damage is all over the board though), but it's Stun that's been ace for me. I had my L, N, and my D all on the front line rocking that Harpe sword (two +Stun nodes) for a while. Shit on lockdown, mang bar a few FOEs.

Poison Damage should be static based off the source and the Rank of it. That is, Level 8 Poison Circle does different damage (far less, actually!) Level 6 Venom Throw.

lingiii

Banned
wassup with chests that are locked but have "tree markings" or whatever. I figure you can open them after the 4th land somehow? because Yggrasil is a tree?

Poison Damage should be static based off the source and the Rank of it. That is, Level 8 Poison Circle does different damage (far less, actually!) Level 6 Venom Throw.

That's where I got that wrong! I had 3 in that circle as the RNG on chance to land didn't change with more points and it was about to jump upwards in TP cost. All was setup bait for more N damage. That and JohnWoo Dancer Chasing shenanigans keep the N with a near-constant damage boost going unless they're resistant to Blunt/Pierce/Slash/Ice.

:lol

On Weapons:
Fire/Ice/Volt - +7% Damage as Element (Regular Attacks only)
Status Effects / Binds - 3% Chance (Regular Attacks only, needs testing to double-check exact percentages)

On Armor/Accessories:
Fire/Ice/Volt/Cut/Stab/Bash - +10% Resistance
Status Effects / Binds - +10% Resistance

General Stuff:
Stats - +1 Stat
HP/TP - +5% HP/TP
ATK - +3% Physical Damage
ELM - +3% Elemental Damage
HIT = +3 Accuracy
CRI = +3 Critical
SPD = +2 Speed

I probably forgot something.

Something I need to check is what precisely Burst forges do. Right now, I think it's +1 tick per Forge but I haven't tried any testing for it.

Edit: As to what Status Effects to forge, Petrify or Instant Death is my go-to one since it's nice to have (+ they both work on at least one post-game boss!).

That's what I was looking for. Thank you.

Sounds like Petrify is the way to go. Does anyone know where to get the Petrify Hammer? It's one of the few that I don't have.

Petrify is floor 3 of misty ravine.

Seems like Speed Boost doesn't affect evasion (I tried the N skill). My Dancer was evading way better with Fan Dance.

I beat the post game boss last night and I'm going to restart soon. I'll start with the unlockables and gears but I won't be using my characters on new game plus. It seems like the right way to do a normal playthrough. It's kind of a hassle that I have to get all my bursts back, and do all the quests again...Oh well, probably only do it once. Haven't decided on party exactly, but I know I want an I and a N.

Also I finally got that Twin Propeller, the NPC balloons still show up in post game. When I got everything else, an event triggered for them to give it to me in town. I'll probably have to do it all over again in NG+.

tuffy

So I'd finally navigated my way to the 4th maze boss, laid down a nice auto-navigation path to it and decided to give it a go. How hard can it be?

Pretty hard, it turns out. The boss has a pattern which I hadn't been paying enough attention to and a lot of turns I prepped for big damage came up empty. So the fight dragged on too long and pretty soon my TP started to run dry, my support characters were overwhelmed, and the boss still had about a quarter of health bar left. That's when it launched an area attack that just about ended the fight.

Everybody but my Bushi was dead. The sensible move would've been to restart the game and try again with better tactics the second time around. But I decided to make it earn that Game Over screen and go down swinging. Then a funny thing started to happen - my Bushi wouldn't die. Turns out she's a bit faster than the boss, so dual wielding normal attacks were consistently enough to refill her HP/TP and special attacks were enough to whittle down its bar a few hundred HP at a time. So the fight kept going, and going, and going, until one final high speed slash brought it down.

It almost felt a bit cheap, like I'd muscled my way past a fight that was meant to be won with better tactics. But I'd done it and didn't mind that one character got to hog all the experience points.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Does forging actually use any resources? Or can I throw any of my already acquired modifications onto a weapon for free? What are the drawbacks?

spiritfox

Does forging actually use any resources? Or can I throw any of my already acquired modifications onto a weapon for free? What are the drawbacks?

Forging takes up the same materials you used to stock the weapons. It draws from the same pool, so if you don't have the materials, you cannot forge for that weapon. Otherwise, it's free this time round, you just need to find the hammers (one for each type of forge). There's no drawback for forging, in fact try to forge whenever possible.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Forging takes up the same materials you used to stock the weapons. It draws from the same pool, so if you don't have the materials, you cannot forge for that weapon. Otherwise, it's free this time round, you just need to find the hammers (one for each type of forge). There's no drawback for forging, in fact try to forge whenever possible.

Oh, is it actually creating the weapon when your forge? I thought it was forging existing weapons with attributes. The screen is a bit confusing, because it shows you if one of your party is holding that particular weapon, which made me assume it was modifying existing weapons. Or does it cost the amount of materials that the weapon initially cost to forge attributes onto it?

vall03

It seems that Im still missing a chest or two, and I've been scouring all dungeons already to see if I missed some secret passage. Looks like I'll have to manually check each and every chest from start to finish again.

spiritfox

Oh, is it actually creating the weapon when your forge? I thought it was forging existing weapons with attributes. The screen is a bit confusing, because it shows you if one of your party is holding that particular weapon, which made me assume it was modifying existing weapons...

Nono... you are modifying your existing weapon. You just need more materials, same type as the one you used to stock the weapon, to forge.

spiritfox

If I ran an N would it be better for my A to run binds or ailments? N would be able to inflict statuses himself, and the damage and hit chance would be better (most likely subbing A), so wouldn't running binds to cover the lack of another binder be better? Or would ailment circles be better so that N doesn't have to waste turns inflicting himself?

scy

When I ran N/A, my Arcanist was mainly there for Binds and Confusion (well, and Poison Circle for times when I didn't have Spread Throw activate for random encounters).

I'm going back to an N/A setup probably and it'll be the same situation. N for Status Effects, A for Binds with Status Effect circles merely as a backup option.

tuffy

My Arcanist poison circles end a lot of random encounters in a hurry, but their primary use in boss battles is in dismissing them for healing or damage depending on the state of my party.

scy

A +25% Damage Multiplier (assuming only applying one status effect) isn't that much of a trade off. And, assuming it's Venom Throw, it balances itself out. Besides, buff turns anyway so taking a turn for setup isn't a huge deal.

Essentially, I view an N/A as a self-sufficient damage engine. N/B would rather have someone else on status effect duty.

Is there some weight stat to weapons and armor that I'm missing? I understand that heavier armor and weapons will reduce character speed, making them act later in the turn. But when I'm looking at different equips for a character I'm not seeing a stat change. Is there a way I can determine the speed impact (re: turn order) of an item before I equip it?

Also, the three armor types - is this basically just heavy, medium, and light? Are there better types to use with certain classes? Is it just the turn order thing or is there something else to consider?

I'm biased, but Nightseeker has so much damage potential it's a waste to have him chance at applying status.

My current Nightseeker is just a filler spot until I get Arcanist.

Actually I'm going to have to redo my team once I unlock the classes. I want to try a Bushi and Imperial and I don't know how well they work in a Trick Samba + Link build.

tuffy

My current Nightseeker is just a filler spot until I get Arcanist.

Actually I'm going to have to redo my team once I unlock the classes. I want to try a Bushi and Imperial and I don't know how well they work in a Trick Samba + Link build.

I actually retired my Dancer and Landshmerkt into a Bushi and Imperial just because it was something different to try in the later part of the game.

tuffy

What do you do for healing?
Arcanist circles during fights, and Healing Walk outside of fights. Dismiss Heal can do hundreds of points worth in a pinch. I've also subclassed Medic for status effect removal and a point's worth of reviving.
What's the best skills to focus on for Bushi?
The Master-level "heal on normal attacks" combined with dual weilding is a lifesaver, as is the auto-revive and auto-Blood Surge. But don't put more than a single point into Blood Surge itself since the subsequent boosts add a huge amount of damage dealt to you but provide hardly any additional damage to enemies.

QaaQer

The game doesn't come with a physical manual. It sucks because Atlus usually gives large, color manuals, but maybe those days are over. There is a digital manual and if you want to read it then you have to boot up the game and go to the 3DS home menu and tap the manual button.

thanks for the tip. Great game, but talked about a frustratingly hidden manual, and god I wish I could download it, or even buy it. When did Atlas get so cheap that they would rather annoy rather than include a 20 cent manual?

balddemon

Banned
Besides equips, what is the best way to prevent status problems? I could easily destroy the dream eaters for hella xp, except for the fact that they put everyone to sleep.

spiritfox

Besides equips, what is the best way to prevent status problems? I could easily destroy the dream eaters for hella xp, except for the fact that they put everyone to sleep.

For Dream Eaters, a Dancer with Refresh Dance helps a lot. Get Quick Step if you can't go faster then it. Otherwise, hope your Medic doesn't get hit.

Top Bottom