• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan |OT|: Fight & Heal Brings 3D To Europe!

Anteo

Damn. I should have said my data from the demo. Took me a while to make my team
of non loli characters
. Now I will have to remember which ones I picked.

Just in general, I recall most party formations in EO1 were ok as long as you had a healer in there. That still the case?

The dancer is a good healer too.

KarmaCow

Damn. I should have said my data from the demo. Took me a while to make my team
of non loli characters
. Now I will have to remember which ones I picked.

Just in general, I recall most party formations in EO1 were ok as long as you had a healer in there. That still the case?

It's more that you can get by with a Fortress and anything else, especially with sub classes. Someone was saying they were getting by with the Dancer's regen heal + items instead of a medic.

tuffy

You should be able to beat the main game with just about any combination of classes. But it's usually a good idea to have someone to do physical damage, someone with elemental damage and someone to heal at least in the short term. Since you're bound to change your party arrangement at least once, don't worry too much about getting it right the first time.

Anteo

I didn't mean healer as in the class specifically, but I'll keep that in mind. I recall them just being buffers in EO1.

Yeah you still need a character that can heal you, or rely on potons which is hard at the beggining of the game.

I'm trying the demo now (checking some alternate party config) and this is what I got:

SQ4GCARDQR.bmp

I didn't mean healer as in the class specifically, but I'll keep that in mind. I recall them just being buffers in EO1.

EDIT: Sub-class? Ok, that's a nice addition. How do they work?

I dropped my medic because my team was making no damage at all and started to heal only using the dancer with some items... it worked perfectly and now I'm not using a character slot only for healing

Bururian

Oh man, I am really digging the Dancer in my party. For now I even have the medic on hand to deal with overall healing since I have them in different lines.

Anteo

EDIT: Sub-class? Ok, that's a nice addition. How do they work?

I don't know how much have changed since EO3 but:

- You can subclass after a certain point of the game.
- Your character gets 5 extra skill points to spend.
- Your won't get the especial skill from the sub class (like the "Extra heal to all healing spells" from the medic).
- Your character will still get 1 point per level up which can be used for any main class or sub class skill. (As in you won't get extra SP per level up, just the usual +1)
- After resting, the subclass will be reset and you'll "give back" the extra 5 points you got.

Edit:
eh, Potions/Medica are not that expensive since EO3. They're like 20en a pop now.

Currently I have a secondary party wich I'm struggling to fund for new equips (and I'm using them to train and get the gold for the equips), my main party is still with the first things I got from the shop. I can afford some medicas yes, but I really need new equips and fast.

It's in the OP! :mad:

Also might be up in a little over 2 hours if we're lucky.

BUT I DON'T WANNA! Unless there are cookies.

Sorry i had forgotten, i had probably read it before, but i'm still buying it. And on the eShop. I want them to have all the moneys they can get from me.

KarmaCow

I'm tempted to drop my Medic for a Dancer but uneven levels in my party really annoys me. Also Patch Up is nice to have early on to make things go faster.

Might just bring over the data from the demo, but start a new party.

ohlawd

man, I soooooo can't wait to waste hours trying to make a decent build for my characters even with the rest option existing. I swear those two lost levels each time are going to add to an insane amount of "wasted" hours.

I'm tempted to drop my Medic for a Dancer but uneven levels in my party really annoys me.

Might just bring over the data from the demo, but start a new party.

I leveled 2 characters to 10 in less than an hour, just take a level 10 character and put the others in the back... spam the first floor a bit and they'll level up quickly.

Anteo

man, I soooooo can't wait to waste hours trying to make a decent build for my characters even with the rest option existing. I swear those two lost levels each time are going to add to an insane amount of "wasted" hours.

And it used to be 10 levels.....

Anyways speaking of builds I'm trying a Fortress build with Taunt, proficiensy and Holy Smite, is quite interesting but is not there yet as the character is still level 6. I wonder if Auto Taunt is worth it.

2 levels is NOTHING compared to the old 5-10, it's so gooooood

KarmaCow

I leveled 2 characters to 10 in less than an hour, just take a level 10 character and put the others in the back... spam the first floor a bit and they'll level up quickly.

Well, my team is only level 5. I didn't try to take on the bigger FOEs in the demo in fear of grinding up too much exp/cash that I would face roll through the next floor in the actual game.

ohlawd

And it used to be 10 levels.....

Anyways speaking of builds I'm trying a Fortress build with Taunt, proficiensy and Holy Smite, is quite interesting but is not there yet as the character is still level 6. I wonder if Auto Taunt is worth it.

it's my first EO, please forgive my sins :(
I think I'd most likely head straight to the internet for builds rather than spend time getting my 10 levels back so I'm thankful it's 2 only.

I've got some points invested in Auto Taunt but seeing as the demo is a tiny part of the game compared to the retail, I won't exactly see if it's worth it in the long term.

Dammit. I went into Gamestop to see if I could preorder this game and still get the artbook, even though it comes out tomorrow. They said yes, so I went ahead with the preorder thinking I would just cancel my order on Amazon. Well Amazon says it's too late to cancel so it looks like I'm buying this game twice. Heh.

If I wait for Amazon to ship I won't get it until next week, they're so slow for me as I don't have Prime. Maybe I'll just get the Gamestop version, then when the Amazon game arrives, return that one to Gamestop. Bother bother.

Anteo

Well, my team is only level 5. I didn't try to take on the bigger FOEs in the demo in fear of grinding up too much exp/cash that I would face roll through the next floor in the actual game.

Yeah, my main party is around 6-7 and I won't use them till I get the main game, I too don't want to overgrind and make the next floor to easy. I do need equips and fast =/ Those purple things are hitting hard.

Bururian

That's exactly why I've been doing that. So I can roll through a level and feel like a badass for a little bit.

It's more about the equipment you get than the levels, it felt amazing to defeat the damn Kangaroos in the demo.

it's my first EO, please forgive my sins :(
I think I'd most likely head straight to the internet for builds rather than spend time getting my 10 levels back so I'm thankful it's 2 only.

I've got some points invested in Auto Taunt but seeing as the demo is a tiny part of the game compared to the retail, I won't exactly see if it's worth it in the long term.

Auto Taunt is a waste of points, don't do it. Taunt is sooo cheap at 2 tp

I got max Taunt, one point in Ally Guard, and the rest in defense boost

Anteo

Auto Taunt is a waste of points, don't do it. Taunt is sooo cheap at 2 tp

I got max Taunt, one point in Ally Guard, and the rest in defense boost

I think Taunt + Tp per Hit + holy smite look good on paper, but in my main party I'm going with Ally Guard and Taunt instead.

I'll take your word for it. You know, I never paid attention to the TP costs. Damn I'm stupid.

it's the most useless skill ever, look:

28v4v

It just activated at the beginning of combat... and you can just use the 2 TP skill, use those points in maxing Provoke
28v5O

It's always 2TP and you want that 80% of chance, BELIEVE ME

also, if you get the Proficiency skill which regens 3TP every time you're hit, you'll never EVER run out of TP to do Provoke

in conclusion, I don't know why the fuck Auto Taunt exists

KarmaCow

That's exactly why I've been doing that. So I can roll through a level and feel like a badass for a little bit.

EO games have a weird difficulty curve, the game gets significantly easier as you progress (with the exception for the last stratum). The ability to actually exploit enemy weakness and binding instead of just choosing the basic attack makes a huge difference. I don't want to miss out on those early floors.

It's more about the equipment you get than the levels, it felt amazing to defeat the damn Kangaroos in the demo.

True, but you're not meant to get the very best gear for everyone in the store when it is unlocked either. I also don't like flat out grinding. :p

ohlawd

28v4v

It just activated at the beginning of combat... and you can just use the 2 TP skill, use those points in maxing Provoke
28v5O

I said wow. I have seen the light.

And I'm ashamed to say, I can't figure out a way to beat those kangaroos >_>

I've seen builds that had like 3 Nightseekers. Anyone beat them with a balanced team?

Anteo

28v4v

28v5O

also, if you get the Proficiency skill which regens 3TP every time you're hit, you'll never EVER run out of TP to do Provoke

in conclusion, I don't know why the fuck Auto Taunt exists

I knew It! 50% is too low, I'd take 80% for 2 levels or maybe 3 but that is too low.

what's your team? I used:

L/F/D
R/S

L was just using Power Break every 4 turns and attacking normally
F was using taunt and guarding whenever it was needed
D was using Regen Waltz and attacking
R is the MVP, spamming Volt Magic
S was being useless and trying to bind(it never worked and I have max arm bind)

I don't know if it's possible without a Runemaster, fucking difficult at level 10

also, I edited my last post. If your Fortress has Proficiency skill which regens 3TP every time you're hit, you'll never EVER run out of TP to do Provoke

here's my proof of defeating the damn Kangarroo with a balanced team btw:

285H7

Anteo

L/F/D
R/S

I don't know if it's possible without a Runemaster, fucking difficult at level 10

Are they weak to bolt? I have a volt spell on my Landwhatever girl.

ohlawd

L/F/D
R/S

I only tried twice with
L/F
M/R/S

Miserable on both counts.
Sniper was indeed useless. Runemaster was dealing the most damage so she's a keeper. Fortress was good for Taunt. Landskejrnsfh was using Power Break but the damage was still too high so my Medic and other people couldn't keep up with healing. I have a Dancer sitting in the backburner but I built her Chase Samba and Attack buffs so she only has like 2 points towards Regen Waltz.

Anteo

I'm not sure, I THINK they are but I'm not 100% sure. I haven't used any of the spells with Land... they seemed kinda expensive for low level play.

Can you check in your Monstrous Codex? It shows weaknesses there, that's how I found out that Rollers are weak to all magic.

Edit: Wait I think I can check in battle too.

Edit2 : Nope doesn't show, And I almost got wiped.

Althane

The first time I did, I jumped up from my chair and did a fist pump, that kangaroo still almost wiped my party.

What'd you use?

I accidentally got caught by one while trying to get a node, and the bastard wiped out my party with no chance of escape.

Edit: Kids, this is what happens when you open a quote response, and then go watch an episode of House of Cards.

Damn that show is addictive.

I only tried twice with
L/F
M/R/S

Miserable on both counts.
Sniper was indeed useless. Runemaster was dealing the most damage so she's a keeper. Fortress was good for Taunt. Landskejrnsfh was using Power Break but the damage was still too high so my Medic and other people couldn't keep up with healing. I have a Dancer sitting in the backburner but I built her Chase Samba and Attack buffs so she only has like 2 points towards Regen Waltz.

We have a similar team, having a Dancer in front helps a lot, constant healing is amazing for the fortress(I had 4 points in Regen, 1 in proficiency, and the rest in the evade up one)

Whenever my dancer wasn't dancing(she only needs to dance once every four turns) she would use items to heal the party. I believe the dancer is a better healer than the Medic when it comes to long fights, the dancer only uses 6tp every 4 turns to keep healing while the most basic healing spell of a Medic is 5tp PER turn. AND the Dancer also does decent damage while the Medic does SHIT damage

Eusis

the Atelier thread got you to play the series? That's freaking awesome.

how I got exposed to the series is.... yeah >_>
I got exposed to Atelier by a combination of a glowing import review for Iris and NISA picking it up while I was more positive about them. And HOLY CRAP IT'S AN ALMOST FULLY 2D JRPG HITTING PS2 I GOTTA GET IT. Then the PS3 games went 3D, but at least Totori onwards has very good 3D given the studio's apparently small size, even Rorona didn't look TOO bad.

This though? Just hit at the right time, fascinated by a more old school dungeon crawling RPG when I was extremely cynical about JRPGs as they were becoming (story bloat and excessive linearity primarily). Well, and a decent amount of gushing just at release.

Bururian

What'd you use?

I accidentally got caught by one while trying to get a node, and the bastard wiped out my party with no chance of escape.

Edit: Kids, this is what happens when you open a quote response, and then go watch an episode of House of Cards.

Damn that show is addictive.

L/F/D
M/R

That Rune Master is the only reason I defeated the Kangaroo. Such a powerful class.

Kazerei

Banned

I've seen builds that had like 3 Nightseekers. Anyone beat them with a balanced team?

This is how I did it:

Landsknecht: attacks with Electric Link (volt-type)
Fortress: attacks with Bolt Strike (volt-type)
Runemaster: casts Volt Rune to lower enemy's resistance to volt, then Lightning
Dancer: cycles between Attack Tango, Guard Tango, Regen Waltz
Medic: meh

I'm gonna have a hard time against bosses who are strong to volt >_>

Althane

L/F/D
M/R

That Rune Master is the only reason I defeated the Kangaroo. Such a powerful class.

I'm thinking about doing some resting and resetting skill points. Having my Landie go pure auto attack with power break seems like a better decision than the sonic/volt chaser I have right now. Fortress would ditch the points in auto-taunt and, I guess put them in Taunt?

Nightseeker does great against non-rare FOEs, lands the sand every time it seems. Rare FOEs just don't get hit by status effects, I swear. So I'll keep him with the sand throw and the biding strike.

Medic, I might swap out for a Dancer just to see how the regen dance is.

What's the verdict on Runies so far in terms of best element?

Top Bottom