• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan |OT|: Fight & Heal Brings 3D To Europe!

Hey everyone, i am about to start this game up any day now, and i have never played an EO game before! Couple general questions ;)

- What am i in for?

- Is there a tutorial?

- About how long is a regular story mode playthrough?

- Since i heard these games are kinda notorious for their difficulty (and i generally like to play my games on normal diff.) are there a couple things i REALLY should do or not do in order to avoid TOO much frustration? (like some classes i'd really need to not screw myelf too bad etc.?)

tuffy

Hey everyone, i am about to start this game up any day now, and i have never played an EO game before! Couple general questions ;)

- What am i in for?
You'll be making a party of your own choosing, mapping a series of labyrinths and defeating the horrors at the end of each one before moving on to the next by traversing a smallish overworld. Each has a light "gimmick" which requires some puzzle solving to figure out, but nothing too crazy.
- Is there a tutorial?
You'll be required to do a little bit of mapping at the start of the game and the game will tell you how to use new features as they become available, but there's not a ton of hand-holding.
- About how long is a regular story mode playthrough?
I'm not entirely sure since I didn't check the time. Perhaps 20 hours or so?
- Since i heard these games are kinda notorious for their difficulty (and i generally like to play my games on normal diff.) are there a couple things i REALLY should do or not do in order to avoid TOO much frustration? (like some classes i'd really need to not screw myelf too bad etc.?)
I think the difficulty's a bit overstated, and this game is the most accessible yet. Almost any party is viable, but you'll want to aim for a nice balance to start with. Have someone to inflict physical damage (like a Landshark), someone to inflict elemental damage (Runemaster), someone who can heal (Medic) and someone who can inflict status or binds (Nightseeker or Sniper). Don't worry about getting your party exactly right on the first try; there'll be opportunities to mix in new characters later without a lot of level grinding. The classes are really well balanced this time around so there's nobody that's going to be just dead weight.

spiritfox

There isn't a guided tutorial per se, but you learn pretty fast what to do and what not to just by going through the game. The first time you're trapped between 2 FOEs you'll realize how useful Ariadne Threads are, for example. This game is the most forgiving of the series IMO, and they give you a lot more leeway for you to get used to the game.

Anustart

Just got stomped by the boss in the second maze. Might have been doable but she just resummons her little helpers. Might have to grind 30 levels real quick.

Anteo

Just got stomped by the boss in the second maze. Might have been doable but she just resummons her little helpers. Might have to grind 30 levels real quick.

you have a guest character right? use head bind on the casters and arm bind on the fighters she summon

Ugh so i just started the game... kinda diggin it and running along in the old forest mine, finally made it to that mining spot with the couple baboons patrolling around. So i go about my business, patiently awaiting my turn to mine when.. one of them buggers suddenly POPS UP from BEHIND when a sec ago he was in FRONT of me?? what the hell? Is this common? what happened here?

Also: i am only level 3 but grinding already takes forever since those grasshoppers dont give much XP anymore but i am not SUPPOSED to face those FOEs yet right? they one shot me if i do :(

tuffy

You're definitely supposed to avoid those baboon FOEs at that point in the game. Keep in mind that there's two of them circling that mining spot. They have a preset path, so it's easy to avoid them by ducking into the little nooks on the east and west sides of that room and pacing back and forth until one passes. It doesn't take any turns to circle in place to keep an eye on things in the room if need be.

You're definitely supposed to avoid those baboon FOEs at that point in the game. Keep in mind that there's two of them circling that mining spot. They have a preset path, so it's easy to avoid them by ducking into the little nooks on the east and west sides of that room and pacing back and forth until one passes. It doesn't take any turns to circle in place to keep an eye on things in the room if need be.

no i get that there's 2 of em circling around, however, one was far away while the other one was 1 square in FRONT of me, meaning i could still have moved back but when i DID just that, a message popped up saying "there's a presence behind you" or something similar and it was a freakin BABOON killing me... so was that ANOTHER random FOE Baboon popping up out of the blue then?

omlet

Each time you gather from a resource point on the map consumes one "turn" so FOEs get to move while you're doing that, maybe that's what it was?

Anteo

there is a baboon random encounter but that one is weaker (still wrecks low level parties). im sure its on the main dungeon but i dont remember seeing it on the mine

tuffy

Each time you gather from a resource point on the map consumes one "turn" so FOEs get to move while you're doing that, maybe that's what it was?
That sounds like what happened. Although there is a random chance of being ambushed while gathering, that's a different message from the "attacked from behind" one. The number of FOEs on the map is generally fixed - though you may need to keep an eye on the map to watch their paths.

right, it could actually be that seeing as i was gathering during this whole thing hmmm...

I'll give it another go now, hopefully those damn baboons stay off me this time ;) i'll report back how it went later...

Actually, looking at other community threads, we might have justification to start one for EO/sister games like Persona Q.
Lunar, Medabots, and now Rhythm Tengoku all have community threads and they haven't seen releases (well...localized releases in some cases) in significantly more time than EO.

NichM

Banned
Actually, looking at other community threads, we might have justification to start one for EO/sister games like Persona Q.
Lunar, Medabots, and now Rhythm Tengoku all have community threads and they haven't seen releases (well...localized releases in some cases) in significantly more time than EO.

This seems like a much better idea than using the IV thread for everything.

ohlawd

if someone does make it, make sure to give EOIV Dancer (tanned one cuz she's superior) a page just by herself.

and a Raquna page as well, yeah.

Shoot, I'll make one if that's what we're doing.

It's come up in discussions at least three times now so there's definitely some interest in one.
We could PM a mod if we need some sort of final decision on Community Thread-worthiness. :p

If you do make one, I'd be willing to help out with anything you need.

omlet

Yeah, I'm not sure if there's some kind of protocol or something. Never started a new thread around here at all, much less made an OT or community thread before. :p

EO community thread would be amazing, there's Q and Untold 2 coming out soon so we might have a justification.

I have no experience making threads at all, but I'll happily help if it's necessary.

Superior pink dancer, superior blond princess, and superior Canada, you got it.

</3

if someone does make it, make sure to give EOIV Dancer (tanned one cuz she's superior) a page just by herself.

and a Raquna page as well, yeah.

<3

omlet

I'll just sit here waiting, I guess.

For? Not trying to steal anyone's thunder so if you or someone else have been wanting to make a thread, go for it. I'm just saying I could try putting something together if no one else wants to spend the time on it.

ohlawd

I'd help but I can't draw well, write well... can't do anything decently >_>

and oh yeah Mau-chan, I thought you liked the other dancer more? Man, I totally remember you calling me out for liking the tanned one more :p

Anteo

For? Not trying to steal anyone's thunder so if you or someone else have been wanting to make a thread, go for it. I'm just saying I could try putting something together if no one else wants to spend the time on it.

For someone to make the thread of course. I mean why do something yourself when someone else will do it anyways!

omlet

For someone to make the thread of course. I mean why do something yourself when someone else will do it anyways!

I just got the impression from the last post that you seemed offended or something at the idea. Maybe I was reading too much into it.

I'd help but I can't draw well, write well... can't do anything decently >_>

and oh yeah Mau-chan, I thought you liked the other dancer more? Man, I totally remember you calling me out for liking the tanned one more :p

I like every Dancer, I just like to mess with you.

Tried the boss again, decimated once again. ;(

post your team to see what we can help you with, head bind is pretty much what you're supposed to do in that battle IIRC.

Anustart

I like every Dancer, I just like to mess with you.

post your team to see what we can help you with, head bind is pretty much what you're supposed to do in that battle IIRC.

That one I lost on I got unlucky with some head binds failing and getting hit by 2 icy aria's in a row. Managed to kill her just now, 2 people dead, one at 3hp, out of mp on everyone lol.

Ok so im wondering about Quests now, can i take on as many as i want since the older ones apparently disappear after a while or is there a limit to how many i can take on?

Also: just made it to the Lush Woods and... i see some wooden logs there that block the way and apparently have a smell that attracts monsters(presumably FOEs) i guess i am just supposed to ignore these for now right?

Still leveling now so i can return to the old forest mine and kick some Baboon ass ;)

also: what does cooking do while in the airship exactly? I mean it gives you a boon but is that just temporary for THAT trip in the ship or...? should i even bother with it right now or just sell the mats for cash which i am short on...

Delstius

Ok so im wondering about Quests now, can i take on as many as i want since the older ones apparently disappear after a while or is there a limit to how many i can take on?

Also: just made it to the Lush Woods and... i see some wooden logs there that block the way and apparently have a smell that attracts monsters(presumably FOEs) i guess i am just supposed to ignore these for now right?

Still leveling now so i can return to the old forest mine and kick some Baboon ass ;)

also: what does cooking do while in the airship exactly? I mean it gives you a boon but is that just temporary for THAT trip in the ship or...? should i even bother with it right now or just sell the mats for cash which i am short on...

1-There's a limit of quest you can have at the same time. Never saw one disappear though, but I always complete them as soon as it appears.

2- The wooden logs :
lure the bear FOE near a log, it will smash it to pieces and free the way

3- Food gives interesting buffs to your party that last until you get back to town. Early game I sold everything because I was also a bit short on money.

Thanks, i did figure it out now with the logs... i guess oftentimes you just gotta keep going and things will become clear hmm...

What about those yellow treasures like "Small flower" i found? Just sell them? Why are they yellow, is it just to indicate they're worth more or is there more to this?

also: i got some quests that involve plants but so far i didn't encounter a single plant harvesting spot yet, do i need a special skill for that or will they just appear further along?

tuffy

Golden items are rare things, yes.

You never need any special skills to gather items from the take, chop and mine spots. The spots on the map are fixed and have a fixed number of times you can gather from them per game day. But if you're having trouble finding an item for a quest from the gathering spots you have, there may be a hidden passage to another spot that you've yet to find. Be sure to check the walls for any signs of a shortcut by pointing at them straight on.

right, thanks... i just turned in some Atelier quest item and she gave me like 3 different substances to add to my blades in order to add effects or elemental damage (can't remember which) but i can't FIND these items anywhere? Does this have to do with forging which is still grayed out for me or how can i apply these things?

edit: nevermind i just found em, they're actually ITEMS you can buy hmm... i STILL dont know how to APPLY this stuff to a weapon though :(

omlet

Those consumables that enchant your weapon with elemental properties only last for a few turns in battle. They're generally not worth carrying around or using especially if you have a runemaster in your party. If you need to kill things with specific elemental damage for conditional drops, those consumables can be sort of useful, but between having a runemaster in my group and being able to make forged weapons, I never bothered with them.

You'll unlock forging later and then you can add permanent elemental (or other) properties to weapons.

I never cared or used the elemental items in EO4, also don't worry that much about forges even if they are helpful later on.

I just spammed Volt spells with my RM the whole game, haha.

nice.... so there aren't many enemies that are strong against Electric damage then?

Also: I just hit level 7, so... Better say your prayers, old forest mine Baboon FOEs, cuz i'm comin for yo monkey asses!!! (i'll probably get my ass kicked won't i?)

nice.... so there aren't many enemies that are strong against Electric damage then?

Also: I just hit level 7, so... Better say your prayers, old forest mine Baboon FOEs, cuz i'm comin for yo monkey asses!!! (i'll probably get my ass kicked won't i?)

Lightning Rune hits a whole line which is pretty helpful, you later get Galvanic Rune which was my main RM spell till the post-game. I also had some points in some basic Fire/Ice stuff but it wasn't necesarry, I'd just raw damage kill them with my Landshark or poison them do death with my Nightseeker.

What I'm trying to say is that you don't have to worry THAT much about having every enemies weakness, even if it helps at times. When it comes to EO there's always several ways to take down a enemy.

Haha, enough dragging our feet!
Tomorrow I'll gather some official artwork and start making some graphics and headers.
If people still wanna collaborate, I'd love to help you!
I know there's at least three of us now who are willing to work on it so let's get together and see who can/wants to do what and get this ball rolling. :)

Top Bottom