• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan |OT|: Fight & Heal Brings 3D To Europe!

I just finished the game yesterday, first every Etrian Odyssey game I've finished, although first I've played to be fair, but I have wanted to play the others. Now to move onto Shin Megami Tensei IV and then to Untold.

Gotta say was really impressed with the game in the end. Had I played it last year would have easily been in the running for my top 5 games of 2013. I just loved the feeling of exploration and that every square of every map felt like an achievement. You'd make soo little progress sometimes but you really felt like you earned and deserved each step forward you made.

If it wasn't for a massive backlog I could easily see myself doing the post game stuff, gonna miss having this to play on the train to work. But the sooner I get through Shin Megami Tensei IV to sooner I can play more Etrian ^_^

omlet

You haven't finished the game until you beat Warped Savior :) Seriously, if you're enjoying it don't stop now, push on to post-game! It's really no different from starting the next area like you have been up until now, because it's just 1 more dungeon (and the dragons). Postgame EOIV is really probably the best part of the game (final land and last act of story are great too), so I really recommend you try it! And this is coming from someone who also has SMTIV on the shelf waiting to be played.

I know what you mean about the feeling of accomplishment; relatively few games really capture that ability to make you feel like you've "owned" the game like EO games to (Souls games probably do the same kind of thing but I haven't played them yet...that backlog). It really makes for a compelling experience. EOV when, Atlus. (Remake of II and PQ will do for now, though.)

The post-game isn't that long and it's super rewarding, the final battle is super awesome.

The final stratum atmosphere/music is also fucking awesome.

Rutger

Banned
How long would it take to do the post game stuff out of interest?

It's one more dungeon and several bonus bosses. Even with the difficulty jump it shouldn't take more time than it took to get through the last two dungeons, as long as you're not going for 100%.

omlet

How long would it take to do the post game stuff out of interest?

I didn't time myself, but I'd guess probably 10 hours* or so, for a series newcomer? If your party was max level when you beat the main part of the game, you could probably get it done sooner since you won't have to spend time getting "caught up" to level 70 where the postgame dungeon feels like it's tuned for you to be at (it will be really rough if you tackle it at, say, level 50-60).

Mainly postgame consists of (mild spoilers):
3 elemental dragon quests (breaks level caps to 80, 90, and 99)
Fallen One (dragon boss)
New dungeon with 3 floors and the ultimate boss at the end

The 3 dragons are not very hard and especially beating them the first time is easy (NPCs help you). Fallen One is tough, don't fight him lightly before your group is at least level 80 or higher (or decked out in strong forged gear). The new dungeon is 3 floors of trap/warp tiles and the toughest trash packs and FOEs in the game. It will take you a couple hours to fully clear each floor, probably. You will likely get your first Game Overs in here (or if you've had a few already, you'll get more!) and be making frequent trips to town to sell loot and save your progress.

Postgame boss will likely take some additional preparation in the form of farming bosses (dragons and other bosses and FOEs) for their drops to forge stronger weapons. Don't feel like you need to grind to 99 to beat him, though. I've seen teams in the mid 80s beat him with a good setup.

*This estimation assumes that the party you beat the previous majority of the game with is a party capable of pushing on into postgame. Depending on your team's makeup, you may find yourself lacking a good balance when you start fighting more challenging enemies (most likely problem will be not enough damage output). Changing subclasses can do a lot for a team but it can't fix things to the extent it could in EOIII. Obviously, deciding to rebuilt your team to tackle postgame is going to add a fair bit of time while you get them caught up in levels.

Delstius

Hey guys, I'm about to hit 99 with my last member and have a hard time figuring out how to evolve my party for post-game.

Currenty I have :

F/D B/L N/D
M/A R/M

Beat the 3 dragons and Fallen one with this party, now I'm waiting to retire them before farming the dragons and venturing beyond the second floor of the last dungeon.

So while I'm happy with the back row (could reverse M/A to A/M I guess tho), I'm thinking about changing the front :
- the Fortress for a linker/fortress as the job feels less useful in late game
- replacing the Bushi with a dancer for combo with linker & Nightseeker
- changing the sub of the Nightseeker for Bushi for extra dmg.

Fortress as sub for the linker seems interesting if I want to keep the Nightseeker alive in front, but Runemaster or Bushi sub looks very tempting too.
And I'm also unsure about the sub for the Nightseeker. Doesn't he run out of mp too fast with Bushi as sub ? Also Is sub Sniper for bind worth it and does it have any weapon/row restriction (didn't experiment much with Sniper tbh) ?

Insaniac

Hey guys, I'm about to hit 99 with my last member and have a hard time figuring out how to evolve my party for post-game.

Currenty I have :

F/D B/L N/D
M/A R/M

Beat the 3 dragons and Fallen one with this party, now I'm waiting to retire them before farming the dragons and venturing beyond the second floor of the last dungeon.

So while I'm happy with the back row (could reverse M/A to A/M I guess tho), I'm thinking about changing the front :

Fortress as sub for the linker seems interesting if I want to keep the Nightseeker alive in front, but Runemaster or Bushi sub looks very tempting too.
And I'm also unsure about the sub for the Nightseeker. Doesn't he run out of mp too fast with Bushi as sub ? Also Is sub Sniper for bind worth it and does it have any weapon/row restriction (didn't experiment much with Sniper tbh) ?

This is my first EO game, but I did beat it, but I don't have much experience overall, but I will say that I used a Sniper with subclass Land and it is disgusting how much damage he can do when buffed. I hardly used binding for the sniper as I was more concerned with getting buffs up and hitting for max damage, rather than waste multiple turns failing to bind.

omlet

You won't feel like the Fortress is useless against the final boss, especially if you do it the hardmode way of not using chems to weaken him. I always feel unsafe tackling a boss or any new areas without my Foretress; she's awesome. I have some teams that don't involve F but they're more like experimental teams. On another note, at level 99 you're already way overpowered for the last floor of the postgame dungeon, so that's probably part of why your F feels less useful right now.

My entire-game (including all postgame) party was [F D N] [R M] and I can definitely vouch for N/B being a beast (though N/A can arguably be better because you will spend fewer turns on ailments failing to be applied). For your TP question, N/B will never run out of TP doing trash battles because you can just surge and un-surge to restore TP (besides, throw skills have very low TP cost anyway). For bosses, yes you can run out if your group damage is too low, but I never had a problem with it. N/B is so powerful that stuff normally dies before TP gets low. Dancer is a really bad sub for Nightseeker IMO. Use /A or /B.

I'm also a big fan of the D+N combo for sambas and I'm not a big fan of the Bushi class in EOIV; they're not bad but it seems like their output wasn't stellar enough for me to want to deal with their HP consumption attacks and low MP pool...IMO they work best as a sub class. If you want to keep the Bushi, don't try to use them for links...you really need L main for the skill ranks for that to work

On that note, I would also consider changing your R's sub to R/B. A bloodsurging runemaster is pretty nuts. A medic really doesn't need help healing, especially when it means wasting an R's turn. If you're looking for a backup, get a Dancer.

Sniper for subclass is not good for binding or for anything really. If you really want binds, use A main since bind circles will keep trying each turn and you can nullify their bind resistance.

Delstius

Thanks for the inputs.

That's too bad that Sniper as sub isn't really useful as binder, but on the bright side I'll change my M/A to A/M and that'll do. Might toy with it later as sub for the crit bonus, even if not strong it sounds fun.

Agree on Bushi not being stellar, it's a very good trash cleaner though. I didn't use it for link at all actually, but subed Land for vanguard & passives for test purpose and just happen to keep it till the end to save some grind time. Using Bushi as sub for Runemaster sounds very interesting in any case, I didn't think about that.

I also loved my Fortress throughout the whole game too, but I kind of want to toy with L/D/N combo. I don't mind if it's harder that way. Anyway, beside the dragons, the whole game was a walk in the park with a Fortress so far.

Guess I'll go for L/F D/N N/B & A/M R/B and see how it goes.

omlet

I still think L/F is kind of a weird idea for an endgame class but I haven't tried it so I'm not really knocking it. L is pretty durable on its own and a L/F will do more damage than a F main if you want it to, but really the thing to think about is what's the L/F's role in the party?

With a squishy N/B up front, the L is going to have a tougher time keeping her alive with only half-powered F skills, and will be doing subpar damage by having to spend turns on protection skills. Doing high link damage takes a few turns of setup and having to do anything else delays your offense, causing attrition damage to your party. Not to mention an A/M will have a relatively (slightly) harder time healing everyone than an M/A, but with a dancer you should be fine because waltzes are potent.

Subbing Bushi on your NS will help somewhat because you can survive a fatal blow once per battle, but if any class in the game needs a babysitter, it's N/B lol. When you're in boss battles it's like... your L/F can't do two things at once, it's always a choice between doing more damage and taking more damage at the same time, or doing less damage while reducing the damage your team takes. At level 99, farming almost anything except Warped Savior is really a pushover, so yeah a F main may not be contributing much at that point, but on the other hand it's like... your N/B and R/B will do so much damage they don't really need any help killing most things, so just let the F stay an F and do what it does best: keep everyone else safe while they beat the crap out of things.

I guess you could spec a L/F to be a tank but tank skills get expensive to use and without F's passive to restore TP when getting attacked, I think it'll be tough. You won't want to ever use Vanguard when trying to tank, meaning good link damage will be harder to get (both because the L's power itself will be lower but also because your N/B will always act first and your D might also act before the L/F can, leaving only R's attacks to trigger a portion of the maximum potential links).

I'm curious to know how it works out for you. Honestly I think between a D/N, N/B, and R/B you will have plenty of damage to make a L/F's damage unnecessary. I guess as long as you can weather the powerful attacks from bosses like Warped Savior and Fallen One, then that's all that matters.

You could start from a build like this which uses 86 skill points (out of 116 possible for a level 99 who was a retired at 99)
So that leaves you with 30 points to invest in damage skills (this skill set includes Improved Link + Link Mastery so you could invest in 1 link, probably Lightning)

Kinda splitting hairs here I guess since EOIV isn't really that difficult aside from Warped Savior. It's just that starting earlier in the series trained me to utilize the power of a balanced party so I'm a proponent of that style.

Delstius

Willing to take some risk yeah, which is the complete opposite of how I usually play any RPG.
I don't intend to do insane damages with the L (N & R are here for that as you said) but I think (hope ?) I'll have some free turn for him to focus on helping dealing damage. That will be a nice change of pace compared to my kind of boring party atm and will add some nice synergy.

Your build is not far of what I had in mind, except power break since Charm Eye of the Arcanist will do that minus 5% (now if you tell me that's cumulable it's another story) :
1341308055x060108800068100660030250002003320030000254
I also plan to take Vanguard+Initiative for whenever I feel safe enough to go berserk with it (when boss in bind hopefully), not sure if that's such a good idea but I'll definitely try it for fun at least.
Regarding mp cost I don't plan to use a lot of ____Shield skill, unless absolutely necessary, tried that with my Fortress since post-game and it's in fact easily manageable.

I'll update my progress, but I'll do some more thinking first, then I'll have some lovely grind to do before trying anything serious.
I wish we could somehow unlock a test mode after finishing the game, there's so many things worth trying it's somehow frustrating.

omlet

Your build is not far of what I had in mind, except power break since Charm Eye of the Arcanist will do that minus 5% (now if you tell me that's cumulable it's another story) :
1341308055x060108800068100660030250002003320030000254
I also plan to take Vanguard+Initiative for whenever I feel safe enough to go berserk with it (when boss in bind hopefully), not sure if that's such a good idea but I'll definitely try it for fun at least.
Regarding mp cost I don't plan to use a lot of ____Shield skill, unless absolutely necessary, tried that with my Fortress since post-game and it's in fact easily manageable.
I'm pretty sure those debuffs will stack. On top of L's mastery skill. I have not tested that, though.

I'll update my progress, but I'll do some more thinking first, then I'll have some lovely grind to do before trying anything serious.
I wish we could somehow unlock a test mode after finishing the game, there's so many things worth trying it's somehow frustrating.
Well you can always go auto-battle like while you're asleep or at work. That's what I did after I beat the game to level up some additional guild members to try out different parties.

Delstius

Story mode final boss
Only did the fight once and some time ago, but from what I remember :
You should be around lvl 60ish for this encounter. Make sure to get a food buff (and stack on items) before going, I went for Furry goat food for HP, resistance food can be useful too I guess.
For the fight, focus everything on one hand then the other, don't remember if there's a special order, use the analyze burst to check. It's also the phase you should use to buff yourself. When both are down you should have a few turns to focus on the face until the hands grow back, focus on dealing damage (and healing if necessary). Repeat the operation when the hands are back. On the second time you should uncover its weak point, go wild, it's harmless in this state.
Depending on your party, you might have a hard time if you don't deal damage fast enough for this fight. Also binds might help not taking too much damage but you can do without it.

Update concerning my almost glass-cannon team :
I grinded till 70 and then decided to try the dragons for fun without spending much skill point. The fight were really easy thanks to the Arcanist binds, my Land didn't do much herself and I was wondering about her utility at first. Then I decided to unlock Vanguard+Initiative and go berserk with the whole team on the third dragon : the damage output is just insane, links everywhere in combinaison with Swift Edge, Dancer attack & chase, and of course Galvanic Rune of Doom. Didn't even have the time to use a formaldehyde on last turn.
Not sure if my lvl is enough for Fallen One, but I'll give it a try.

Fun fact : L/F can wield two sword and a shield at the same time. Didn't try yet tho as you loose the accessory slot.

Edit : Fallen One done at lvl 75, on first try. Even forgot to take any items with me (dumb move, don't do that). Binds are a wonderful thing, trully. Without that, my team would get wrecked fast, and that allow me to focus on attacking.
I tried the dual wield + shield for this fight, that bit of def bonus probably saved my L a few times. Dance mastery is also part of the win, I used a lot of burst and a use of Hygieia's Bowl saved a lot of time when 2 front liner where KO.
I'm not used to such an aggressive team yet, but it's wonderful.

Edit 2 : Completed, lvl 99 & 100% the whole game, with this new team it was a blast. The only downside is that I can't possibly kill the last ugly one if not weakened, a Fortress seems mandatory or I missed something. No matter, that will be the job of my second team (auto-lvling this time tho~).

Ack, put the game back in to see if I could get back into it. I'm in land 2, the miasma dungeon but it's annoying because I can't freely explore without my team returning to the entrance due to the poison in the air. Also the FOE's in the first floor are annoying and make it difficult to explore. Can I get some tips or pointers ?

tuffy

Ack, put the game back in to see if I could get back into it. I'm in land 2, the miasma dungeon but it's annoying because I can't freely explore without my team returning to the entrance due to the poison in the air. Also the FOE's in the first floor are annoying and make it difficult to explore. Can I get some tips or pointers ?
Try working your way through the cave in a counter-clockwise fashion starting by heading south from the first door. Use the side caves to open up shortcuts until you can make it all the way to the mining spot along the northernmost wall. The FOEs are annoying, but I believe there's a pause in their pursuit every few steps that you can use to get by them with a bit of good timing. The material from the mining spot will be needed for your ship upgrade, so remember not to sell it when you get back to town.

Try working your way through the cave in a counter-clockwise fashion starting by heading south from the first door. Use the side caves to open up shortcuts until you can make it all the way to the mining spot along the northernmost wall. The FOEs are annoying, but I believe there's a pause in their pursuit every few steps that you can use to get by them with a bit of good timing. The material from the mining spot will be needed for your ship upgrade, so remember not to sell it when you get back to town.

Yeah I figured it out last night, my airship can go higher now. Time to explore a bit.

Just booted this up. I see why I stopped playing. I'll probably just use an online guide or something. I'm stuck in the fourth land, I can't get into the fortress. I'm not sure what spots to sneak in with the other two ships being distractions.

Other than that, I've been occasionally grinding for a couple of minutes. I really should try to beat this game soon. Any estimate of how much time I have left?

spiritfox

Just booted this up. I see why I stopped playing. I'll probably just use an online guide or something. I'm stuck in the fourth land, I can't get into the fortress. I'm not sure what spots to sneak in with the other two ships being distractions.

Other than that, I've been occasionally grinding for a couple of minutes. I really should try to beat this game soon. Any estimate of how much time I have left?

You're at the 2nd last dungeon, though the last one is more of a mini-dungeon than a real one, so you're near the end.

So I decided to add a rune master and dancer to my party but they are getting owned badly. The rest of my party is level 21 while my RM and D are lvl 8, and now my party is gettting decimated.

Any tips for grinding and what areas are best?

So I decided to add a rune master and dancer to my party but they are getting owned badly. The rest of my party is level 21 while my RM and D are lvl 8, and now my party is gettting decimated.

I think you should keep going with your normal team, after a certain point you can auto level them to 25 or something like that. Later on it raises to make the grind less boring.

omlet

This part is not too hard really, you should go in from probably around the C3 or C6 area (depending on which side you start from) following their ship from a few moves behind, let them aggro the enemy and lure it away, then slip over the wall and decrease your altitude as soon as you can and then swoop in to the fort. Should get it after a couple tries. IIRC the only real "trick" to it is that the enemy ships will still prioritize you so make sure they are lured away far enough because between the decoy ships and your ships they will pick you to chase if you get within their range (I don't remember what their range is, 2-4 squares maybe?).

You'd be better off not changing your party around too much early on like this. What is the rest of your party, class-wise? If you have a Fortress you should be able to keep the R and D safe, but that's a really big level gap. If you really need that R and D in your team ASAP then I would recommend you built an entire new team and level them together to at least 15 before swapping them into your party of 21s. Probably best to just push on to 30ish and then retire 2 of your members into the R and D so you're not starting from scratch (also there's what Taco_Human mentioned which you'll have access to later). Need more info on your party before I could give any more advice.

Anustart

Is this the most active thread for EO games? I thought someone mentioned a community thread but I couldn't find it other than this one.

Anteo

Is this the most active thread for EO games? I thought someone mentioned a community thread but I couldn't find it other than this one.

Not enough people for a community thread lol
If you have any question just post it here, most of us have suscribed to thread
right guys?

We just use this thread, ask anything you want and you shall get an answer. I hope you enjoy the game as much as I did.

The EO fanbase isn't huge but we're passionate as hell about our silly dungeon crawler series.

No community thread.
EO fans tend to just use random 3DS EO OTs for discussion. :p

There was a time when me and some other members started to talk about EO3 in here, haha.

ohlawd

Anteo's right. There are only 10 EO fans on GAF and that isn't enough. Hell, Mau-chan counts as five people so that's only 6 if you wanna get technical!

and iunno about a non-Persona OT. There's nothing. Everything's dead. Mainline SMT is dead, Devil Survivor 2: BR is our last DS, DDS is dead, Raidou's dead, no one actually played Radiant Historia, Trauma is dead, everything they've developed or published is dead.

I said this thread was basically an EO general thread >_<

Anteo's right. There are only 10 EO fans on GAF and that isn't enough. Hell, Mau-chan counts as five people so that's only 6 if you wanna get technical!

and iunno about a non-Persona OT. There's nothing. Everything's dead. Mainline SMT is dead, Devil Survivor 2: BR is our last DS, DDS is dead, Raidou's dead, no one actually played Radiant Historia, Trauma is dead, everything they've developed or published is dead.

We're at least 20, right? :(

Don't answer. Also Anteo has more posts than me in this thread, he's apparently crazier than I am.

Screw Persona GAF, they will finally learn the amazingness of EO this month.

Kirlia

Banned
I'm an EO fan! I just haven't seen this OT until now. I've spent over 100 hours in EOIV raising/retiring characters. I hope to play more EOIII soon, though.

Anustart

That's right :) I got it backwards and was thinking you said there was an EO community thread, doh!

Anyway, made it to the second land. Went back now though and got a plant reference book from a red bear.

Edit: I really enjoy how the game makes you feel like you're exploring.

Good to see this thread bumped, as I recently downloaded both this game (IV) and Untold when they were on sale recently, and have switching off between playing each of them. I'm up to the Sacred Mountains in this one and have just unlocked subclassing, which I think I kinda screwed up when I went and actually tried using it... Anyways, I've been enjoying both games, but I wish someone would bump the OT for Untold as well, as I've actually kind of been enjoying that one more. The depth provided by the properly-done 3D in Untold makes it much easier to count the number of squares in a given direction when mapping (and I'm really only in it for the mapping, so that's kind of important), which makes the fake 3D in IV grate on my vision more. Also I miss the run button from Untold whenever switching back over to IV as well. And there are a few other things I prefer about Untold that would probably be considered blasphemous here given the discussions I've read so far, but I had already been planning on writing a separate post in the "Your 'controversial' gaming opinion" for those... (Edit: separate post written, link: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=137618215&postcount=11366)

Other miscellaneous thoughts:
  • I wish the EO games had Miiverse communities...
  • At least one of the links to QR codes in the OP are broken. Specifically the one for the Juncto Hammer is the one I remember as being dead.

spiritfox

EOU is not a bad game, it's just that the story mode is boring, grimoires are the worst thing ever, and the music arranges are poor. I did like the new bosses in Gladsheim, and I wish they (and the dungeon) were available in classic mode. Hopefully EOU2 learns from it and gives us a better classic mode, because I highly doubt I will do story mode ever again.

EOU is not a bad game, it's just that the story mode is boring, grimoires are the worst thing ever, and the music arranges are poor.
Yup, those were all the more "controversial" things that I was planning on writing a separate post about how I actually like them all. Well actually replace the bit about the music arranges with the Floor Jump mechanic, but I do like the music, too.

(Edit: I've actually written that separate post now; link has been edited into my previous post)

tuffy

For a game about exploration with a lot of labor-saving devices already (shortcuts, auto-walk paths, etc.), EO:U's stair warps are just too much. It cuts out way too of the risk/reward system that encourages players to push on even as resources run low. Since EO2 introduced one-way geomagnetic poles to solve the same sort of problem, I'll be disappointed if stair warps come back again.

Delstius

EOU is not a bad game, it's just that the story mode is boring, grimoires are the worst thing ever, and the music arranges are poor. I did like the new bosses in Gladsheim, and I wish they (and the dungeon) were available in classic mode. Hopefully EOU2 learns from it and gives us a better classic mode, because I highly doubt I will do story mode ever again.

I found the story mode kind of refreshing, despite being restricted to a team and the plot holes. Didn't find the music arranges poor either. Now the grimoire system on the other hand, I agree wholeheartedly.

Kirlia

Banned
Good to see this thread bumped, as I recently downloaded both this game (IV) and Untold when they were on sale recently, and have switching off between playing each of them. I'm up to the Sacred Mountains in this one and have just unlocked subclassing, which I think I kinda screwed up when I went and actually tried using it...

If you need advice on what subclass combinations are good, here's a helpful link.

What's your current team? When I beat the game, mine (the Midgar Guild) was:

Front Row: Fortress/Dancer (who saved me against the final boss), Landsknecht/Imperial (who specialized in elemental damage and linking)

Back Row: Runemaster/Imperial (a god with Galvanic, Blizzard and Origin Rune), Sniper/Bushi (a damage-dealing powerhouse), Medic/Bushi (which is actually a subclass combination I don't recommend; try Medic/Fortress instead, especially since Holy Blessing is vital for the Sixth Dungeon).

I didn't use them during the main game because I wanted to keep my starting party from beginning to end, but Arcanists are wonderful and make the game a lot easier. If you are using an Arcanist, give him/her the Medic subclass.

Anteo

We're at least 20, right? :(

Don't answer. Also Anteo has more posts than me in this thread, he's apparently crazier than I am.

Screw Persona GAF, they will finally learn the amazingness of EO this month.

I have more post that either you, Scy or SpiritFox.
I need to lie down

Also, EOU story mode ending was awful.

EO:U sucks, I'm glad that EO:U2 looks way better. Even if they have to get rid of Floor Jump, what a terrible idea.

Exclusive dungeons for classic mode was such a bullshit move.

That's right :) I got it backwards and was thinking you said there was an EO community thread, doh!

Anyway, made it to the second land. Went back now though and got a plant reference book from a red bear.

Edit: I really enjoy how the game makes you feel like you're exploring.

By the end of EO4, you feel like you've accomplished so much, it's amazing. The exploring aspect of the game is unmatched.

Top Bottom