• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan |OT|: Fight & Heal Brings 3D To Europe!

Alright, you win.

*adds note to the backlog*

Good Job, EO3 is a fantastic game that everyone should play.

I you have any questions about any game of the series you can ask here, we're still around even if the thread is kinda old.

aww yiss

Mau-chan owes me a drink

49cafef4d899b2518dc66fcc2499f961.jpg

Insaniac

I don't know if this is a dumb question but how the heck do I mine / chop wood? I see the sparkly gather spots but thats different right?

tuffy

I don't know if this is a dumb question but how the heck do I mine / chop wood? I see the sparkly gather spots but thats different right?
Just wander up to the spots and mine/chop them until they run out for the day, same as the sparkly gathering spots. No need to gather-specific skills this time around.

Insaniac

Just wander up to the spots and mine/chop them until they run out for the day, same as the sparkly gathering spots. No need to gather-specific skills this time around.

Ah i thought the sparkly spots were specifically "gather" spots and i had to look for some other visual cue for mining or chopping

tuffy

Ah i thought the sparkly spots were specifically "gather" spots and i had to look for some other visual cue for mining or chopping
They all look the same in 1st person view as I recall, so you'll need to check the "Mine", "Chop", "Take" text when on top of them in order to know which is which (and map them accordingly).

Can someon explain the treasure book to me ?

You can trade guild cards with other players and you get a map attached to them, each map gives you the location of one item(I never really used any and only did it to 100% the game), there's also QR codes you can scan to get all the 81 maps. After you get a map you can go and get the items by using the dowsing rod.

Here's a link with all the QR codes https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...ahmcSIGNa6GtN6ia_g4AQGIUWE/edit#gid=871277636

Insaniac

Whats the best place to grind character levels? My characters are level 43 right now at level 3 of the golden lair but I want to grind a new guild member to use him.

Also best place to grind out some extra gold?

Finally, does luck influence things like crit, and bind chance?

tuffy

Whats the best place to grind character levels? My characters are level 43 right now at level 3 of the golden lair but I want to grind a new guild member to use him.
The easiest way to get a bunch of levels fast is to start by using the trainers, which show up each time a new class becomes available. They hang out in the quest tavern and give a bunch of levels outright (two times per trainer).

Once that's done, track down some QR characters (made from your own team if you have to) since they contribute damage but don't get any share of experience. Then farm shiny sheep FOEs in the overworld since they respawn daily. Drop some gold stinkhorns in front of them for a free ambush if possible.

With only 1 character getting a whole team's worth of experience, it won't take long to get caught up.

Not sure about gold, but I'm pretty sure luck does help with crits and bind chances.

Insaniac

The easiest way to get a bunch of levels fast is to start by using the trainers, which show up each time a new class becomes available. They hang out in the quest tavern and give a bunch of levels outright (two times per trainer).

Once that's done, track down some QR characters (made from your own team if you have to) since they contribute damage but don't get any share of experience. Then farm shiny sheep FOEs in the overworld since they respawn daily. Drop some gold stinkhorns in front of them for a free ambush if possible.

With only 1 character getting a whole team's worth of experience, it won't take long to get caught up.

Not sure about gold, but I'm pretty sure luck does help with crits and bind chances.

hmm okay, could you explain a little on qr characters? I'm at work and unable to look up this stuff

tuffy

hmm okay, could you explain a little on qr characters? I'm at work and unable to look up this stuff
You can scan QR codes from the Cargo Wharf. If that code is for somebody's guild, you can recruit a single character from it (which was defined when the code was made) and then add that character to your team like any other party member. The difference is that character's stats and equipment are all fixed and they don't get any experience.

To make QR codes of your own party, just make a guild card for your current team and share a character, save and shut down your 3DS, copy the guild card image file from the 3DS's SD card to your computer, then turn on the game and scan it back in again from your computer screen. Then repeat for every other party member you want to "clone". It's tedious, but the end result is a team strong enough to help your new member get experience but without hogging any themselves.

QR chars come from someone giving you their Guild card, in which they can have one character "binded" to it and you can recruit it. You can't change anything from the character you get btw.

You can feed food to FOEs and make them shiny, which gives you extra XP, you can also use the Holy Gift burst to get 1.5x EXP to get even MORE XP.

I recall that the Dream Eater from the second land respawned every day so I just spammed shiny Dream Eaters + Holy Gift for a while, after that you can go for more powerful FOE.

Regarding Luck: It Increases critical rate, chances to inflict ailments(including binds), chances to evade incoming ailments, prevents ambushes, and increases preemptive strikes.

So Nightseeker and Arcanist need to have as much Luck as possible to inflict status ailments. A Nighseeker with Auto-Spread + Venom Throw makes random battles a joke in the late/post game.

Kieli

Post-game is an exercise in frustration. The only reason I die is because of the status ailment that insta-gibs your party, lmao.

omlet

As mentioned, FOE grinding will be the fastest leveling for your time spent. At that level you're also high enough to auto-battle in Underground Lake if you're not opposed to using that method.

For money, gathering is the way to make money in this game. Hit those gathering points often if you want money. I never had money issues in this game compared to EOII and III.

Tell you what, let me know what characters you have leveled and I will give you a QR code character from my file with good gear (you can't take the gear but she will be a strong character) to aid in farming exp quicker. I can downlevel a character by resting to be around your party's level to be useful. If you don't have a Nightseeker that's probably what I'll give you since she has my best gear and stats (831 attack rating at level 45) and N's are basically wrecking crews past level 40. Just let me know what you'd like and what level your highest level character is (important; see below).

QR chars come from someone giving you their Guild card, in which they can have one character "binded" to it and you can recruit it. You can't change anything from the character you get btw.

Also note that characters you recruit from QR codes also require you to have gotten a character to at least the level of the QR recruit before you can use them. For example, I can't give you my QR of my level 99 Nightseeker for you to just demolish the midgame with because you can't use her if you haven't gotten a character of your own to 99 before.

Post-game is an exercise in frustration. The only reason I die is because of the status ailment that insta-gibs your party, lmao.

EOIV postgame is challenging but still pretty easy compared to the other games. Just get some petrify resist rings and you will be a lot better off. They aren't 100% resist but they're very effective. Also remember if you have a dancer you can do the status ailment removing waltz and unless your whole party is KO/petri it removes it at the end of the turn even if the dancer got petrified.

EO4s post game was a joke compared to the ones of 1,2,3.

I defeated everything with my regular team without retiring anyone or trying any of the broken teams.

Nachos

So would anyone here be interested in an Etrian Odyssey community thread? I've been thinking about making one, but I have no idea if there would be much interest or not.

So would anyone here be interested in an Etrian Odyssey community thread? I've been thinking about making one, but I have no idea if there would be much interest or not.

I am interested(as the loudest EO fan of all GAF), but I do wonder how many would post... but then again, I've seen some niche as hell community threads before.

Nachos

I am interested(as the loudest EO fan of all GAF), but I do wonder how many would post... but then again, I've seen some niche as hell community threads before.

Well, apparently Parakeetman's interested in making a general dungeon crawler community thread, so maybe we could rope the two together. That'd hopefully make the thread more consistently lively and maybe get more people to try games they wouldn't already. Still waiting for a response in the general |OT| thread, though.

Well, apparently Parakeetman's interested in making a general dungeon crawler community thread, so maybe we could rope the two together. That'd hopefully make the thread more consistently lively and maybe get more people to try games they wouldn't already. Still waiting for a response in the general |OT| thread, though.

IIRC there's already a dungeon crawler community thread.

dommynick

I've been digging my teeth into this game after having it sit in my backlog for about 8 months. I'm at the second labyrinth with a party of F/L/N/S/M. Not much else to say, besides the fact that I'm really enjoying it!

I'd like one as well, and I think having a space for series discussion would be beneficial and maybe easier to keep track of rather than the current format I've noticed where the EO community seems to congregate around whichever 3DS EO OT is recently posted in. :p

I'd like one as well, and I think having a space for series discussion would be beneficial and maybe easier to keep track of rather than the current format I've noticed where the EO community seems to congregate around whichever 3DS EO OT is recently posted in. :p

I feel that way too, I was recently replaying EO3 and I wish I had a place to talk about it, but I didn't feel like posting about it in here as it's the EO4 thread.

Insaniac

Okay, I'm currently trying to beat the Boiler lizard. if i destroy the large scale in his room, can I leave the dungeon heal, come back and it'll still be gone?

omlet

Okay, I'm currently trying to beat the Boiler lizard. if i destroy the large scale in his room, can I leave the dungeon heal, come back and it'll still be gone?

The large central one will stay gone for a few days of in-game time, so yes. I don't remember how long exactly, but long enough to go back and rest for sure.

Also did you see my reply to you a few posts up? Offer still stands if you want.

Insaniac

The large central one will stay gone for a few days of in-game time, so yes. I don't remember how long exactly, but long enough to go back and rest for sure.

Also did you see my reply to you a few posts up? Offer still stands if you want.

Thanks, and yeah I just saw your offer, I actually QR'd my own guys which was pretty quick I just took a pic with my phone, infact I leveled the character already by farming gold dream eaters, thanks though!

Insaniac

Okay so I rekt the final boss, and now I don't know if I should do the post game stuff, or a new game+, what does new game+ offer over end game?

tuffy

Okay so I rekt the final boss, and now I don't know if I should do the post game stuff, or a new game+, what does new game+ offer over end game?
New Game+ lets you re-run the story with the option of bringing back your original guild members and/or map (but not any equipment stored at the inn!). Its main advantage is that it gives you the chance to collect more items that only turn up once in a single playthrough, like the Commander's Boots.

Postgame stuff gives you the sixth stratum and its superboss for a bigger challenge.

ohlawd

do postgame.

get rid of that level cap by hunting down the dragons and enjoy the secret dungeon!

_____

yo, this new 3DS crap

will be freaking sweet if it can somehow enhance Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold. I don't know what kind of enhances I want exactly (use those extra buttons and the second analog!) but I'll take anything.

Top Bottom