• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2012 |OT| of England? You're having Olaff

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuenf

I was thinking of doing a "gif analysis of Gomez' failures to participate in the team's passing/creation of chances, but I won't have the mans of doing so until Saturday or so.
You can't just simply look at results (goals) and build an argument about style of play etc.
Players like Özil, Müller (and maybe even Podolski) could also very well play worse because they have less partners to play with.
It's obviously easier to develop a strategy against us if our game is so Gomez-driven, just like it was fairly easy for teams to take out Gomez in CL and Bundesliga, because apart from him an maybe Özil there is barely any attacking threat from the rest of the team.
Portugal did a great job and if it wasn't for that deflected cross and Gomez' goal it could have ended in a defeat.
And we shouldn't just look at names. NL's defense is avergae to bad (stuffed with shitty ex-Bundesliga players and overall too old), of course he's bound to perform well against them. They also left Schweinsteiger way too much room to operate.

I know and can understand where you are coming from but i think you are a little bit delusional about our past performances. Germany in 2010 looked more like Dortmund, whereas now they are almost an exact replica of Bayern (based on their recent performances Poldi = Robben (lol), Özil = Ribery, Khedira = Gustavo). I know that the Dortmund style is far more exciting but there are a number of reasons why we arent there yet: Özil still hasnt regained his form, i'll admit that Gomez might impede the potential for combinations but that doesnt explain why Özil's feeling / eye for the game seems missing. Podolski currently sucks (but you are right he really needs his Klose, if only to make him feel more comfortable) and more and more teams are beginning to focus on defense again (call it the Chelsea-effect).

Dont forget that the element of surprise is gone, this might be a little difficult for you as a Dortmund fan to understand but the perception of the game changes with growing expectations. Germany in 2010, much like Dortmund in the last 2 seasons, were an underdog that surprised a lot of people. Most people didnt even know that a german team could play like that. Now everyone expects them to deliver a similar performance without thinking about other contributing factors. I mean be honest, what were your expectations coming into the tournament?

This of course doesnt mean that i'm satisfied with the current situation. Löw is just hedging his bets and cant really go wrong with either one of our strikers. I dont really like the Gomez-Klose substition around the 70minute mark. It takes away a more meaningful substition like Reus / Schürrle and if i'm perfectly honest i do think that i'd rather have Klose playing the opening minutes and Gomez closing out the game than the other way around. Gomez skillset is always there, a goal from him in the first half is just as likely as one in the last minute. As of now, they almost look like they are stuck between 2 systems (strikers) and dont play to their strengths. If they really want to rely on Gomez and they should start Götze instead of Podolski.

Yeah NL's defense isn't the best in the world but dont be silly the NL are still better than England / Argentinia or Australia were in 2010. There was a lot of respect between the teams and NL defense begins with the constant threat of their attacking forces. Btw. Netherland fans: You really screwed us by losing to Denmark. I'm far more worried about Sunday than i have any right to be (but after the Munich Final i'll always be expecting the worst).

NHale

Fucking Ronaldo, complained at half time to the rest of the team "I only got the ball 3 times!" within earshot of a journalist.

Maybe he should run after the ball a little more :|

Apparently he was whining about the defense too. The same defense he didn't helped at all during the 2nd half and it was his fault that Jacobsen was all alone to make the cross for the 2nd goal.

Then his antics during the game were embarassing. Nelson Oliveira trying to shoot and missed and what Ronaldo did? Raised his arms and whined, which is the best way for the kid to gain confidence, right? And when Varela scored he didn't go there to celebrate, he just fell to the floor while the other 22 players were on top of Varela... And he is our captain!!!! Fucking joke.

Quite frankly, if Paulo Bento wants to prove he's a coach and not Jorge Mendes ball boy, he should put Ronaldo on the bench and start Varela. It would be the humiliation he deserves and maybe would make him realize he should stop being a baby.

santi_yo

5k7eRhxoOR7dIMG4aZHOxyC6Zbf_1200.jpg

lol @ the photoshopped kits
KuGsj.gif

Apparently he was whining about the defense too. The same defense he didn't helped at all during the 2nd half and it was his fault that Jacobsen was all alone to make the cross for the 2nd goal.

Then his antics during the game were embarassing. Nelson Oliveira trying to shoot and missed and what Ronaldo did? Raised his arms and whined, which is the best way for the kid to gain confidence, right? And when Varela scored he didn't go there to celebrate, he just fell to the floor while the other 22 players were on top of Varela... And he is our captain!!!! Fucking joke.

Quite frankly, if Paulo Bento wants to prove he's a coach and not Jorge Mendes ball boy, he should put Ronaldo on the bench and start Varela. It would be the humiliation he deserves and maybe would make him realize he should stop being a baby.

Ronaldo is such a good quality player and the #1 athletic football player in the world but his behavior on and off the pitch will never make him the best player in the world. The moment I first saw him playing at Manchester United I just knew it would become the most troublesome player around.

Ronaldo is such a good quality player and the #1 athletic football player in the world but his behavior on and off the pitch will never make him the best player in the world. The moment I first saw him playing at Manchester United I just knew it would become the most troublesome player around.
What's wrong with his behaviour off the pitch?

And most troublesome player around, really? Not sure about that...Robben, Tevez, Ibrahimovic...

Reports that Nasri has been dropped for today's game.

flake

What's wrong with his behaviour off the pitch?

And most troublesome player around, really? Not sure about that...Robben, Tevez, Ibrahimovic...

Reports that Nasri has been dropped for today's game.

Better be making way for the godly Ben Arfa

Prandelli has also just said that Balotelli will lose his starting place against Ireland :(

Better be making way for the godly Ben Arfa

Prandelli has also just said that Balotelli will lose his starting place against Ireland :(
Would love to see Ben Arfa.

Correct call from Prandelli. Mario has been pants in the two games so far, his lax style looks good when it comes off but he's no Ronaldinho so when that shit isn't working he needs to get on his bike and make stuff happen.

CassSept

It´s concidered a trustworthy newspaper, but i can´t find any article about it being made up?

Eh, media here reported that, I don't really speak Dutch too well. Something about "De Telegraaf" publishing it first and then everybody else just running with it. Don't really know how true that is, that's in part why I'm asking here.

fuenf

Small reminder before the weekend:
Don't forget you Matchday 3 predictions @Kicktipp!

There'll also be another transfer window in the Fantasy League tomorrow.

Kem0sabe

Ronaldo should be benched, truer words have not been said.

Oxx

Not too much pre-game trash talk today.

I guess everyone is still too busy laughing at the prospect of Andy Carroll.

Addi

According to l'equipe, this is the french team today:

Lloris - Debuchy, Rami, Mexès, Clichy - Cabaye, Diarra, Nasri - Ménez, Benzema, Ribéry

Apparently a banana was thrown onto the pitch in Italy's match against Croatia.

Anyway, the bookies are offering 5/2 for Ibrahimovic to score anytime today which is decent

painey

not sure who to root for in the first game.. I guess we want a France win, and then two England victories.. if we finish second we will play Spain and get knocked out right away

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
not sure who to root for in the first game.. I guess we want a France win, and then two England victories.. if we finish second we will play Spain and get knocked out right away

I'm just happy we weren't knocked out after the first game. I know that's not mathematically possible but I thought we'd find a way.

Arjen

Eh, media here reported that, I don't really speak Dutch too well. Something about "De Telegraaf" publishing it first and then everybody else just running with it. Don't really know how true that is, that's in part why I'm asking here.

Telegraaf is the worst newspaper in this country

Divius

Ukraine 2 - 1 France.

Давайте Україні!
Let's go Ukraine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom