• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2012 |OT| of England? You're having Olaff

Status
Not open for further replies.

dc89

David Walliams' wife Lara Stone (super model and big Holland fan) had this bought for her by David.

7249dd70b2f111e1b00112313800c5e4_7.jpg

Shame they are pretty much done and dusted this tournament.

I wish someone would buy me a new car :(

Gambit

Might have been posted yet:

This

is a lie!

Apperantly it happened before the game, as Löw also said during an interview. UEFA, masters of all TV-coverage, decided to cut it into the game footage.

Of course, it doesn't make a huge difference in that case, but it shows how they control our reactions. Makes you question other "perfect" reaction.

Or growing up on the X-files has come back to haunt me.

Raist

Banned

This

is a lie!

Apperantly it happened before the game, as Löw also said during an interview. UEFA, masters of all TV-coverage, decided to cut it into the game footage.

Of course, it doesn't make a huge difference in that case, but it shows how they control our reactions. Makes you question other "perfect" reaction.

... I don't think it matters when it happened? It wasn't related to the game. It's not like they pasted it in after Holland's goal or something.

fuenf

Yeah, but who else scored? It's cool that he scores willy-nilly and all of a sudden seems to be in the form of his life (Schweinsteiger: "I've never ever seen accomplish a first touch like that"), but our game is too reliant on his scoring because with him we are barely able to play that 2010' one-touch football with fast-paced passing. And when we meet a defensively formidable opponent who's also got good Karma (unlike Portugal with the deflected cross, lol) we could very well be fucked.
But then we didn't win shit 2010, so if that's what it takes to win the Euro then I'm the first to hug his nuts..

Wait that is on Gomez? I think it hast more to do with Podolski playing like crap, teams figuring out how to defend Germany and that insane scoring run Müller went on in 2010. It's also easy to forget the 0-1 against Serbia and 1-0 against Ghana. Yeah there were some beautiful goals in the next round but the first goal against England fell after a Neuer goal kick and against Argentinia Müller converted a Schweini free kick. Most of the other goals were simply classic counter-attacking against a high standing defensive line (2:0, 3:1 and 4:1 against England; 2:0 against, 4:0 against Argentinia). So far Germany is better than par compared with the 2010 World Cup.

Let's be honest, i dont like them but the Netherlands were better than any team we faced at the WC (barring Spain); same goes for Portugals defense / tactics. I'm sorry but this time we wont be facing any team with a suicidal defense like England in 2010 or one that's coached by Maradonna. That's not to say that things wont open up in the playoffs when the other team has to score or go home! But like you mentioned we didnt win shit in 2010 and the first team with a balanced defense / attack kicked us out, that year everyone talked about Müllers suspension but we looked like crap against Spain and didnt create any goal scoring opportunities (i can only remember the Kroos one).

Hackbert

This

is a lie!

came here to post this. Imagine the bad press, if at this moment holland had scored one or more goals and would have been leading ^^.

Gambit

... I don't think it matters when it happened? It wasn't related to the game. It's not like they pasted it in after Holland's goal or something.

It does matter. As you said, had it been used after a Holland goal, it would have spun into a Löw discussion. How he doesn't care etc.

I am surprised they would play clips during the match at all. I thought they'd at least be honourable enough to keep the timing intact.

Remember Balotelli's look on the bench when Di Natale scored against Spain? He seems very pissed off and is not celebrating in the least. Clearly he is an egotistical prick.

But maybe he looked like that five mins earlier, immediately after being benched and celebrated the goal like all his teammates.

Pictures make meaning.

Divius

So today we've got Ukraine - France and Sweden - England. What do you guys think?

I'm rooting for Ukraine and Sweden to win, but I really have no idea. All I remember from Fra - Eng is the sleeping dude on the sidelines.

Gonna sit in a sportsbar tonight watching the game with friends. If it goes very well or more likely very badly it's going to be such an expensive night for me.

Cheap, bad(preferably English) beer if England score, expensive if Sweden scores should help me out.

Chuckie

Well like he said, it doesn't matter a lot in this case.... it does raise questions how we (as viewers) get manipulated by images.

They did it once in Holland too... some Feyenoord hooligans were chanting some disgusting shit about Louis van Gaals deceased wife. You see him standing there...speechless.... looking at the Feyenoord hooligans.
It made some very painful dramatic tv.

Later on you found out that he was not looking at the Feyenoord crowd at all, he was watching the Ajax crowd. He also stated he actually never heard the chanting at all.
It was al edited to make dramatic tv.

Kem0sabe

So today we've got Ukraine - France and Sweden - England. What do you guys think?

I'm rooting for Ukraine and Sweden to win, but I really have no idea. All I remember from Fra - Eng is the sleeping dude on the sidelines.

Ukraine beats France with an offside goal (the irony) and England beats Sweden with Bra getting sent off.

zonezeus

Ahhw going to miss the 2 matches today, bummer. Wanted to see England-Sweden. Oh well.

I feel you, for me Euro 2012 schedule is not really night shift friendly, but I will most probably tune my phone to this thread to at least know what's going on. I'm rooting for Ukraine and Sweden both this time, but I can't really get super-excited about today's matches since the BIG GAME (Poland - Czech Republic) is just tomorrow:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xrio7k_mecz-o-wszystko-polska-czechy_sport

Wessiej

I feel you, for me Euro 2012 schedule is not really night shift friendly, but I will most probably tune my phone to this thread to at least know what's going on. I'm rooting for Ukraine and Sweden both this time, but I can't really get super-excited about today's matches since the BIG GAME (Poland - Czech Republic) is just tomorrow:

Well my excuse is going to a concert so I don't have the biggest problem with it ;). It's better than matches @ 12:00 or 15:00...

Quick translation but it should be good enough to understand what happened.

Journalists from A Bola stolen by police in Ukraine!

The reporting team of A Bola was the victim of extortion by the Ukrainian police in Lviv, when they traveled in the early hours of last Thursday, after the match between Portugal and Denmark, to the hotel.

The reporting team of A Bola had finished the work in Lviv Arena, host to the Denmark-Portugal, shortly after 01:00 and went to the city center for dinner. At the end of the meal, around three in the morning, they went back to the hotel, but the traffic in the area was closed earlier so they were forced to do a detour that would lead them to be stoped by the police.

Once the police detected that the cap on the right wheel of the rental car was broken, the news team was forced to do an alcohol test, which in Ukraine is simply blowing in to the face of the agent. He took two steps back and began to say vodka, vodka, suggesting drunkenness. Only speaking Ukrainian, despite knowing some English words (which were very useful), the agent began pointing to the arm. I was being informed that they would be taking blood tests from me.

They began to talk about "money, money." They asked for 500 euros, but the team from A Bola only had 160. For over one hour, we were drived around by the city, pressed to raise money from an ATM. Coercion only ended when it became difficult for the police to dissimulate. But they took the money we had ...

antipod

I agree to Majine (as a swede). Some parts of the song had a bit of swedish flow (although a bit more 'throaty') but one of the persons way of talking reminded me more of norwegian than swedish. I guess it depends a bit on dialects.

I heard somewhere that norwegians have it easier to understand dutch than say swedes.

But yeah, some words are almost the same and isn't hard to catch.

Chuckie

I was born en still live in Friesland, i grew up listening to Frysian but refuse to talk it. I hate it.

I am so happy i dont have a Frysian accent of any kind.

It's not a particularly nice accent to my ears. Take Doutzen for example... cut as hell... but that voice :/

foto_8455_foto-doutzen-kroes-dost-zich-op-in-oranje-voor-nederland-uruguay.jpg

Wait that is on Gomez? I think it hast more to do with Podolski playing like crap, teams figuring out how to defend Germany and that insane scoring run Müller went on in 2010. It's also easy to forget the 0-1 against Serbia and 1-0 against Ghana. Yeah there were some beautiful goals in the next round but the first goal against England fell after a Neuer goal kick and against Argentinia Müller converted a Schweini free kick. Most of the other goals were simply classic counter-attacking against a high standing defensive line (2:0, 3:1 and 4:1 against England; 2:0 against, 4:0 against Argentinia). So far Germany is better than par compared with the 2010 World Cup.

Let's be honest, i dont like them but the Netherlands were better than any team we faced at the WC (barring Spain); same goes for Portugals defense / tactics. I'm sorry but this time we wont be facing any team with a suicidal defense like England in 2010 or one that's coached by Maradonna. That's not to say that things wont open up in the playoffs when the other team has to score or go home! But like you mentioned we didnt win shit in 2010 and the first team with a balanced defense / attack kicked us out, that year everyone talked about Müllers suspension but we looked like crap against Spain and didnt create any goal scoring opportunities (i can only remember the Kroos one).

I was thinking of doing a "gif analysis of Gomez' failures to participate in the team's passing/creation of chances, but I won't have the mans of doing so until Saturday or so.
You can't just simply look at results (goals) and build an argument about style of play etc.
Players like Özil, Müller (and maybe even Podolski) could also very well play worse because they have less partners to play with.
It's obviously easier to develop a strategy against us if our game is so Gomez-driven, just like it was fairly easy for teams to take out Gomez in CL and Bundesliga, because apart from him an maybe Özil there is barely any attacking threat from the rest of the team.
Portugal did a great job and if it wasn't for that deflected cross and Gomez' goal it could have ended in a defeat.
And we shouldn't just look at names. NL's defense is avergae to bad (stuffed with shitty ex-Bundesliga players and overall too old), of course he's bound to perform well against them. They also left Schweinsteiger way too much room to operate.

operon

Hoping for a Ukraine win tonight, always good to have the hosts(one of the ) in the competition as long as possible and England to win tonight with a header from Carroll

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom