• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2016 |OT| Take a bow sson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diancecht

They did play a prominent role in the coronation of Greece as 2004 champions.

Oh hot damn.

giphy.gif

El Topo

it's totally understandable to dislike 2004 greece, but to say that they weren't good is just silly.

Greece had a pretty bad team. They won because they had one of the greatest coaches of all time. That said, they were really solid defensively and played the appropriate football necessary to beat e.g. Portugal.
I'm not sure why people would dislike them though. It's one of the biggest underdog stories of all time.

la_briola

Greece had a pretty bad team. They won because they had one of the greatest coaches of all time. That said, they were really solid defensively and played the appropriate football necessary to beat e.g. Portugal.
I'm not sure why people would dislike them though.

9W4cDyl.jpg

Legend.

El Topo

great coaching is irrelevant if there isn't a team that can pull it off.

Come on, they had Charisteas as a striker.

better than anyone else in the tournament at least, and that's all it takes.

Absolutely. To quote their coach:"Modern ist, wer gewinnt." ("If you win you are modern.").

He accomplished football miracles. Winning with Kaiserslautern the year they came back to Bundesliga (maybe the greatest football underdog story of all time), winning the European Championship with Greece...unbelievable.

El Topo

generally rubbish, sure, but if your striker scores 3 goals in 6 matches, including in the final, you can't fault them in that particular tournament.

I agree. Greece showed up. They played solid football, they had the right strategy, the players worked as hard as possible, all in all they did great. They beat Portugal twice, they beat France and they beat dark horse Czech Republic, all teams from Pot 1. They won deservedly.

Cappa

Banned
You are confusing good with entertaining. They were a good team, they were just incredibly boring to watch.
Great coaching and tactics. An odd tournament that saw Germany spain and Italy all go out in group stages.

They beat the best team in the tournament Czech Republic and hosts Portugal sure but all three goals were the same in each game and in the final game they sat with 8 defenders in the box for like the entire second half.

I don't think a team can get away with that anymore because teams like Spain or Germany would just pick you apart.

Big-E

Winning deservedly doesn't really matter. People hate Greece and still hate Greece for playing really boring football. That is what people hate about Greece in 04. Iceland's games have been far better than Greece's even with the smaller sample pool.

I expect Ronaldo to be on fire tonight. He was so agitated by Iceland that they celebrated the 1-1 that I expect him to fuel that hatred into positive energy.

Or he gets infuriated and grabs a red card.

Lego Boss

I agree. Greece showed up. They played solid football, they had the right strategy, the players worked as hard as possible, all in all they did great. They beat Portugal twice, they beat France and they beat dark horse Czech Republic, all teams from Pot 1. They won deservedly.

You don't fluke the Euros. Even Denmark 1992 were fully deserving and they didn't even qualify in the first instance.

Not saying the best team always wins, but you gotta be good.

Shito

So adorable.

I respect Ronaldo for being an actual human being there. Plenty of times another player just totally ignores the child on the other end, but he genuinely laughs and talks with the kid.
Yeah I've heard countless times that he was actually genuinely nice in "real life".

Oersted

So adorable.

I respect Ronaldo for being an actual human being there. Plenty of times another player just totally ignores the child on the other end, but he genuinely laughs and talks with the kid.

Many talk with them, many are too focussed, others are simply nervous themselves.

We call that human.

Judging by the amount of good players on Austria's side I find it absolutely mind blowing that they lost from Hungary.

From what I have seen from Hungary today. Surprise of this EC that they are at the top of this group.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom