• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2016 |OT| Take a bow sson

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheChamp

Slovakia, Wales and Russia would have probably qualified also for a 16 teams Euro looking at qualifying groups results. Also Northern Ireland, Czech Republic and Austria.

So maybe your complains are a bit misplaced?

England really got a lucky group draw and gets to complain about not banking on that now.

Agree all of them would of qualified and to be fair Wales have looked pretty good but its not the teams that have qualified its the best 3rd placed qualification thats the issue its promotes parking the bus for these sides

PatjuhR

Agree all of them would of qualified and to be fair Wales have looked pretty good but its not the teams that have qualified its the best 3rd placed qualification thats the issue its promotes parking the bus for these sides

The problem in my opinion is that only 8 teams will fall out of the competition. All these games practically for nothing and in my opinion that shows in the games. Teams only need 1 win to go through if they don't lose. So everybody plays more defensively

amanset

Slovakia, Wales and Russia would have probably qualified also for a 16 teams Euro looking at qualifying groups results. Also Northern Ireland, Czech Republic and Austria.

Turkey, Hungary, Ireland, Sweden and Ukraine would have been surely out, Romania and Albania most probably. Maybe also Croatia?

So maybe your complains are a bit misplaced?

England really got a lucky group draw and gets to complain about not banking on that now.

No because the complaints aren't about who are in the groups, the complaint is that as you have such a high chance of qualifying in third place there is very little incentive to go for a win.

If there were sixteen teams, four groups of four with the top two going through, then there would be far more incentive as you'd have next to no chance going through if you played for draws.

This is really very simple and has been explained many times.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

They still wouldn't have played offensively against England. They would bet on counter-attack. If you don't have a good squad you can't attack properly even if you want. I mean, look at Ukraine, they tried to play open and they have some good players and they are practically out.

In a world in which Greece won by playing defensively in a 16 teams tournament you can blame everything on the structure.

No because the complaints aren't about who are in the groups, the complaint is that as you have such a high chance of qualifying in third place there is very little incentive to go for a win.

If there were sixteen teams, four groups of four with the top two going through, then there would be far more incentive as you'd have next to no chance going through if you played for draws.

This is really very simple and has been explained many times.

The weaker teams would have still played the same. Slovakia wouldn't transform into Argentina over night just because it needs to win to qualify, let's be serious.

Yeah, they need to go back to 16 teams, 32 is too many. Or change the ruling somehow, like zero points for a goal-less draw, as someone else suggested.

Or 1 point for a no score draw, 2 points for a score draw and 3 for the win.

They still wouldn't have played offensively against England. They would bet on counter-attack. If you don't have a good squad you can't attack properly even if you want. I mean, look at Ukraine, they tried to play open and they have some good players and they are practically out.

In a world in which Greece won by playing defensively in a 16 teams tournament you can blame everything on the structure.

If Slovakia needed 3 points from the final game to ensure they qualified they would have given it a much better go than they did. Even if they had to be defensive and rely upon counter attacks there is no way they would have taken strikers off for defenders as the match progressed.

Just watch the remaining fixtures, those teams who only need a draw to guarantee 3rd place qualification. The odds on them trying to hard to win are going to be non-existant.

PatjuhR

Yeah, they need to go back to 16 teams, 32 is too many. Or change the ruling somehow, like zero points for a goal-less draw, as someone else suggested.

Or 1 point for a no score draw, 2 points for a score draw and 3 for the win.

Ajax had this tournament called the Amsterdam Tournament where teams also would get points for goals scored. Maybe an idea.

Hoping for some good soccer tonight.

To me it's weird that Hodgson is happy. He thinks they dominated all games and are playing great. Ehh, no. It's the worst soccer and most boring soccer of the tournament so far. Okay, not true. That was Russia. But still, nothing to be proud of thus far. He said he was disappointed that they were second in the group. What?! then why did you leave 6 key players out? You didn't want to become first of the group in the frist place.

Anyway...

amanset

The weaker teams would have still played the same. Slovakia wouldn't transform into Argentina over night just because it needs to win to qualify, let's be serious.

Let's face it, you're being deliberately obtuse now.

If Slovakia needed 3 points to have any hope of progressing they wouldn't have parked their entire team in the penalty area. They may not have been brilliant going forward but they would have tried. England had so much possession last night because every time the ball exited the Slovakian penalty area there were no Slovakians around to get it. Ask yourself why.

amanset

They are going to have to make a choice between 16 or 32. Not 24. It's not working.

Yeah. I think the 24 only (vaguely) worked in the late eighties/early nineties in the world cup as back then there was still a gulf between European/South American teams and everyone else.

But this is a problem, 32 is too many and I doubt very much that they'd go back to 16. Maybe the Spain 1982 model? (Top 2 in groups of 4 teams go through, second round sees groups of 3 where only the top team goes through).

PatjuhR

Alright. For a normal knockout system you have to come to a number of 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, etc. So if they really wanna stay with 24 teams, then eliminating 8 teams to get to 16 makes the most sense. Agree?

Now we are playing 36 games to eliminate 8 teams and the 4 best 3rd placed teams leave room for speculation and defensive tactics.

What if it'd be 8 groups of 3? And number 3 would be eliminated?

Doc_Drop

Alright. For a normal knockout system you have to come to a number of 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, etc. So if they really wanna stay with 24 teams, then eliminating 8 teams to get to 16 makes the most sense. Agree?

Now we are playing 36 games to eliminate 8 teams and the 4 best 3rd placed teams leave room for speculation and defensive tactics.

What if it'd be 8 groups of 3? And number 3 would be eliminated?

Then a team would get a break when the others play. I know that would be true in alternating fixtures, but it's not really a reality.

If the theory is that more teams are competitive in Europe (which seems to be the case) then they should just go all out and have a 32 team tournament. That way you have the big teams as well as the great stories of the lesser teams battling it out.

Blablurn

Germany will shock Europe with a great performance for the ages today. It's going to be a breakout game for the lad Mario Gomez. I'm ready.

Euro 2016 has produced so many few goals due to the encouragement of Parking the Bus strategy with the four 3rd placers going through

Slovakia did it yesterday, that match sucked.

Copa America Centenário has been way more entertaining thus far

jts

...hate me...
12 could come out of the 24 to make 4 minigroups of 3, from which:

Top 2 of each minigroup come out to make quarter-finals: this method adds 4 matches for the actual format, and one more match added to the max number of matches a team can play.

or

Winner of each minigroup comes out to make semi-finals: this method keeps the total current number of matches for the tourney and the max number of matches for any given team remains the same as well.

PatjuhR

Alright let's go for a high scoring Germany Vs NI game (3:0) and a (0:0) tie between Turkey and Czech Republic!

Turkey will go full attack mode since that is their only chance. Czech Republic cheeky enough to score on the counter. I wouldn't have that match go 0-0

Doc_Drop

Never really that optimistic about welsh football, but after yesterday I am getting my hopes up. I am going to regret this.

You guys are doing well, I think you have the power to surprise anyone in the later stages given a lack of emotional and historical baggage. You have the opportunity to play freely and without fear

Football is gonna lose 30% of its casual fanbase once the group stage is over. Absolutely terrible tournament and possibly one of the worst and least exciting sports events in the history of sports.

There has been speculation in the media surrounding the early demise of Russia yesterday.

The riots that took place by Russian fans and that they do not seem to listen to the UEFA has people speculating that there has been some sort of "deal" that, if they lost yesterday, the Russian federation does not have to worry about their country getting banned and the UEFA can keep a clean face considering the next World Championship is in Russia.

Nothing surprises me anymore regarding Russia and every football organization but it does seem like a long stretch.

Doc_Drop

Football is gonna lose 30% of its casual fanbase once the group stage is over. Absolutely terrible tournament and possibly one of the worst and least exciting sports events in the history of sports.

Lol, what?

Talk about an overreaction. If anything more will be watching during the KO stages

Cappa

Banned
Over exaggeration. People complain about every tournament yet ratings keep going up every time.

This tournament has been lackluster but the casual fan never gave a shit to begin with. The casual fan would watch the world cup instead.

There has been speculation in the media surrounding the early demise of Russia yesterday.

The riots that took place by Russian fans and that they do not seem to listen to the UEFA has people speculating that there has been some sort of "deal" that, if they lost yesterday, the Russian federation does not have to worry about their country getting banned and the UEFA can keep a clean face considering the next World Championship is in Russia.

Nothing surprises me anymore regarding Russia and every football organization but it does seem like a long stretch.

Judging by their defending it isn't surprising.

Maximus P

Hopefully they change the format for the next tournament, becuase I agree with others here that it encourages defensive play.

Either that or points shouldn't matter for the 3rd place teams but goal difference. The top scoring teams go through.

Don't know where people are getting the idea that reducing the number of teams would prevent defensive strategies. They have always been common in tournament set ups regardless of size as it is alway more beneficial to pick up at least one point and hopefully be able to take advantage than get no points.

This is a 1/10 event so far. Nothing exaggerated about. No football event I have ever seen was this uneventful. The knockout stage can't come quickly enough because as of right now, we're still in qualification mood, aren't we.

Don't know where people are getting the idea that reducing the number of teams would prevent defensive strategies.

Slovakia couldn't have afforded not playing for the win if 3rd place didn't advance them.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Don't know where people are getting the idea that reducing the number of teams would prevent defensive strategies. They have always been common in tournament set ups regardless of size as it is alway more beneficial to pick up at least one point and hopefully be able to take advantage than get no points.

It's like this is the first tournament ever in history. And like the Greece 2004 never happen.

I would blame it more on the lack of good attacking players in many weaker European squads. Players who can make a difference.

Cappa

Banned
This is a 1/10 event so far. Nothing exaggerated about. No football event I have ever seen was this uneventful. The knockout stage can't come quickly enough because as of right now, we're still in qualification mood, aren't we.

Slovakia couldn't have afforded not playing for the win if 3rd place didn't advance them.
Iceland and Wales "over achieving" is uneventful to you?

Why are you guys so opposed to having second round byes for the top teams? It's not that different than having the playoffs for the final qualifying spots. Let the lesser teams play another match to decide who gets in to the real knockout round.

T-Rex.

Banned
Where did you get that figure from? More people watch the knockout stages than group stages I bet.

No, haha. And for Soccer lovers, there are some things that were great.
I'm especially amazed of the level of passes in some games.

But yeah, some matches are criminally boring. That much is true.

Watch the Poland v Ukraine as Northern Ireland are just going to park the bus... least Czech Republic have to win

Not sure yet. At least Germany knows how to play fast paced soccer. And the irish will always give their heart and soul.

PatjuhR

Let's do it totally different. Something closer to the American model

Get rid of the qualifying and friendly games. No need for those. Just put all the teams into 4 conferences. North, South, East and West. And just let the Euopean Championships be the Play-Offs. We got 4 years to play all the games.

Let's do it totally different. Something closer to the American model

Get rid of the qualifying and friendly games. No need for those. Just put all the teams into 4 conferences. North, South, East and West. And just let the Euopean Championships be the Play-Offs. We got 4 years to play all the games.

American model of what exactly? You need to elaborate on this idea.

this_comic.jpg

PatjuhR

American model of what exactly? You need to elaborate on this idea.

Like the NBA.

You got the Western and Eastern conference there. Like a league. So in the end after everybody played each other there will be a top 8 per conference. They'd play each other untill there is a western and eastern champion who would battle it out to become the ultimate champion

Tubie

Like the NBA.

You got the Western and Eastern conference there. Like a league. So in the end after everybody played each other there will be a top 8 per conference. They'd play each other untill there is a western and eastern champion who would battle it out to become the ultimate champion

What does this accomplish? It would've been a lot simpler for you to say to just go back to a 16 team tournament lol.

Qualifying is already done in groups over the course of 2 or so years.

Up until now, the top 16 teams qualified and went to the Euro, the only difference this year is it was expanded to 24.

PatjuhR

What does this accomplish?

Qualifying is already done in groups over the course of 2 or so years.

Up until now, the top 16 teams qualified and went to the Euro, the only difference this year is it was expanded to 24.

Maybe it wasn't that well thought of, but I really dislike this 36 games thing where only 8 teams will be eliminated.

MikeRahl

If Euro is so obsessed with the 24 teams thing, could a hex work similar to the way the final qualifying for CONCACAF works?

4 groups of six teams, each team plays each other once. Top team in each hex gets a bye to the Quarter-final, a 2 team from each hex plays a 3 from another for the other spots.

It would make the tournament longer (2 extra games per team in the group stage) but hey, more games means more money right?

**EDIT, I did the math, 15 games per group, so 60 in group stages... 60 games to eliminate 12 teams doesn't seem like an improvement over 36 to eliminate 8... but everyone loves more soccer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom