• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2016 |OT| Take a bow sson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lach

How about 20 teams? 4 groups of 5, and top 2 advances into quarterfinals.

Of course there is no way it will be reduced again.

England draws once and now the whole world must be turned inside out. Feels like the Brexit in some way.

Any other country draws: "Dissapointing X country should have beat Y country but whatever, better than a loss.

England Draws: "Fucking shit team, shit players, shit manager. What a dissapointment as always."

Matush

Summary of the last few pages:

YX6ZTJ2.gif

Fdkn

Wales was able to score 5 goals against the same two teams that England could only score one.

Stop blaming defensive play from small teams and look at your pitiful attacking instead.

Wales was able to score 5 goals against the same two teams that England could only score one.

Stop blaming defensive play from small teams and look at your pitiful attacking instead.

Our attacking has been awful and it has needed moments of individual brilliance to get any goals.

The fact Wales were able to score 5 goals is great. But you only have to watch the actual matches to know that the Russian team set out tactically different for England than they did Wales. The Slovakian team set out tactically different for England than they did Wales. Just like Wales set out tactically different against England than they did against Russia and Slovakia.

Rightly or wrongly, England were seen at the strongest in that group and all three teams tried to nullify our attack as best they could. Which worked. Our midfield and attack were on a whole unable to break down teams that are perceived as being weaker. The other three teams appeared to have the mentality that they just didnt have to lose against us to give them the best chance at finishing second and decent chance at third. As can be seen by how few times both Wales and Slovakia ventured out of their own half in the second half of those games.

Wales, Russia and Slovakia went into those matches against each other believing they could get a result. This affected how they set up and enabled much more entertaining football (in my opinion). In those matches Wales proved what they could do, whereas England haven't been afforded the same space to play to our strengths. Something that we should be able to do against opposition who set up believing they are the stronger team.

tl:dr - it's hard to score when opponents park every bus they own in front of the goal. But that doesn't excuse England not smashing the windows in and scoring more.

TheChamp

Those 2 teams actually tried to have some offensive play against Wales rather than park the bus for the full game

chadskin

Neuer – Kimmich, Boateng, Hummels, Hector – Khedira, Kroos – Müller, Özil, Götze – Gomez

Very happy Löw's giving Kimmich a shot.

Lego Boss

Let's go Polska! I got the keilbasi ready!

My wife is n London so I'll have to to give her updates on the 'local derby'.

Poland should beat the Ukranians here, but it depends on whether theey 'park the bus'.

Personally as an England fan I am delighted with our performances, with our results, not so much, but I still think that we MIGHT be able to win a knockout game for the first time since 2006!!!

I think this will be the case because in one-off games teams will have to be set up to attack more. It is possible to play for penalities (ENG v ITA in 2012 suggests that), but it's a dangerous tactic and if you concede it's difficult to get back into it.

A lot of the criticism from 'journalists' is clickbait or used to sell papers. Phil McNulty has sadly misjudged the mood of the England fans who I think are delighted to see their national team comfortable in possession.

Also I'm with Woy: I think we will give someone a good spanking before long. I hope it's in this tournament and I doubly hope it's Portugal!!!!

jts

...hate me...
Messi, Bale and Payet best things of the summer

Ibra showing why he retires

Ronaldo why he should

England gonna England
Ronaldo is showing as much why he should retire as he did 2 years ago in the World Cup.

Meanwhile, has scored over 100 goals and won yet another Champions League.

eFKac

There should be up to around 40,000 Polish fans today at the Stade Velodrome, impressive number!

Hopefully we give a good show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom