• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2016 |OT| Take a bow sson

Status
Not open for further replies.

trembli0s

I mean, I guess the defenses could be better. But it's not like France, England, Germany, etc. are playing these power house teams full of defensive stalwarts who are made of bricks and run like deer.

It's more of a lack of "garra" as the Spanish would say, balls, intestinal fortitude, etc. I don't think there's been a dominant European striker since van Nistelrooy hung up the cleats. Klose was at least dominant for Germany in his heyday.

I mean, I guess the defenses could be better. But it's not like France, England, Germany, etc. are playing these power house teams full of defensive stalwarts who are made of bricks and run like deer.

It's more of a lack of "garra" as the Spanish would say, balls, intestinal fortitude, etc. I don't think there's been a dominant European striker since van Nistelrooy hung up the cleats. Klose was at least dominant for Germany in his heyday.
Lewandowski's probably the best current example, though he hasn't really got going in this tournament.

Kill3r7

The traditional 9 is dying breed. Lewandowski and Benzema (who is not playing in Euro 2016) are probably the best European strikers at the moment. Muller (not a traditional 9), who has been playing pretty poorly this tournament, has 14 WC goals and in all likelihood will end up breaking Klose's record. It is not as though Suarez, Higuain or Augero have lit the world on fire in Copa 2016.

Syder

RooneyEuros.png
Anyone who says that was a poor performance from England can fuck off because that was the most England-like performance I've ever seen.

Basically, we don't have a match winner. We don't have a Ronaldo or a Messi or a Bale or a Payet or an Iniesta... and in a tournament where you have countries like Slovakia, Northern Ireland, Ablania, Iceland, etc. defending their hearts out because of the third-place rule you get shown up if you aren't world-class.

We didn't keep the ball on the deck enough, relied too heavily on tricky little flicks, backheels, corners, wannabe Pirlo-esque passes, etc. and we kept using our fullbacks too much. It's not even like we were clueless in the final third because our roaming fullbacks made great strides out wide, it was like the final fifth of the pitch where we were completely lacking in ideas and just playing it by ear. We had the same amount of shots on-target tonight as we did against Wales but we looked far more convincing against Wales because of the style of football, it felt like the goals were coming and they did.

I disagree that the 6 changes were a total mistake. Clyne and Bertrand were as good as Walker and Rose. Vardy and Sturridge earned their places. Having Henderson in a box-to-box role and Wilshere in a more creative attacking role protected by Dier is a totally fine midfield set-up, except when you call up a player in Wilshere's situation you know you'll have to sub him at some stage...
(We could really have used a Drinkwater or a Noble tonight, you don't see these boys blasting shots over from 25 yards because they don't have a clue what to do with the ball)

Which brings me on to the totally uninspired substitutions. The way Rooney plays now essentially makes subbing him for Wilshere a like-for-like substitution and doesn't effect the game very much at all. Rooney does something stupid (wild, mis-placed passes) for everything good (great tracking back) he does. Alli for Lallana was baffling; Lallana wasn't as effective tonight as he was against Wales but Alli so far in this tournament has been a passenger and his touches tonight after the goal he was unlucky not to score were unimpressive again. Sturridge for Kane makes sense in principle for the amount of corners and crosses we were getting into the box but he is not a player that creates goals for others, his deep-play for Spurs is effective at times when he can play in Eriksen, Lamela, etc. but he just doesn't do this in an England shirt because he's slightly too deep.

Basically, Rashford and Barkley should have been given a run out. Rashford is just fearless and gets everywhere forcing defenders to make mistakes and Barkley is a fantastic ball carrier. I remember at the World Cup during the Uruguay game, when Barkley came on it looked like we could get something, his tenacity and urgency work really well against inferior opponents that defend deep.

The week-long gap between now and the next game means, depending on our opponent, there's no reason why we can't play positive, attacking football with our best players.

This is how I feel, knowing Roy, we'll probably line-up in the next game.

...and based on performances so far, this is what I, personally, would like to see.

Audioboxer

Anyone who says that was a poor performance from England can fuck off because that was the most England-like performance I've ever seen.

Well you got that right. Even when England play well they manage to disappoint... lolololol

/drivebytrollfromaScotsman

Syder

Barkley's really gone off the boil recently. Picking him but would be a big risk after the season he's had. Then again, Roy did play Wilshere.
Before this tournament I would have been surprised for him to get any game time but so far Alli has been sub-par in the attacking midfield role and I don't know anyone that can play in a way that we need it as good as Barkley (on a good day) can. I mean if, behind the scenes, Roy feels like Barkley is still out of form then fair enough for not playing him but seeing Dele Alli not perform for 3 appearances in a row is getting frustrating.
Well you got that right. Even when England play well they manage to disappoint... lolololol

/drivebytrollfromaScotsman
Exactly. I'm not sure what people expected.

Before this tournament I would have been surprised for him to get any game time but so far Alli has been sub-par in the attacking midfield role and I don't know anyone that can play in a way that we need it as good as Barkley (on a good day) can. I mean if, behind the scenes, Roy feels like Barkley is still out of form then fair enough for not playing him but seeing Dele Alli not perform for 3 appearances in a row is getting frustrating.Exactly. I'm not sure what people expected.
He's not been as effective as he has been for Spurs, but he did assist Sturridge's goal against Wales and have an effort cleared off the line tonight. I still think he's our best option there for now.

I can't see us not meeting Portugal. Not preferable, but we can do 'em.

If Portugal wins Game 3, they get to 5 points, they may top the Group and face Beligum.
so Iceland has to best Austria for them to get also 5 points to knock Portugal to 2nd Place. (Portugal vs England)

If Portugal plays like shit and ties against Hungary, then they get stuck at 3 points entering risky territory because Iceland can also tie Austria and get their 3 points too. + Lots of teams have more points in 3rd place

Possible Scenarios:

Hungary 5
Iceland 3
Portugal 3
Austria 2

Iceland 5
Portugal 5
Hungary 4
Austria 1

Portugal 5
Hungary 4
Iceland 3
Austria 2

jts

...hate me...
If Portugal wins Game 3, they get to 5 points, they may top the Group and face Beligum.
so Iceland has to best Austria for them to get also 5 points to knock Portugal to 2nd Place. (Portugal vs England)

If Portugal plays like shit and ties against Hungary, then they get stuck at 3 points entering risky territory because Iceland can also tie Austria and get their 3 points too. + Lots of teams have more points in 3rd place
Albania is already a 3 pointer 3rd with a -2GD, so they would be under Portugal, which in case of tie, will have a 0GD.

Just need to pray for one more under there.

It can happen from Group C if Germany beats Northern Ireland by a margin of 2 or more.
It can happen from Group D if Turkey beats Czech Republic (not likely).
It can happen from Group E if neither Sweden beats Belgium nor Ireland beats Italy (I think there’s good chances here) BUT if Sweden beats Belgium by a margin of 2 or more it can still happen because Belgium will be 3rd with 3 and -1GD or less.

Portugal 0GD is ok for a 3 pointer but the lack of goals scored can come back to bite them in the ass.

luso

Possible Scenarios:

Hungary 5
Iceland 3
Portugal 3
Austria 2

Iceland 5
Portugal 5
Hungary 4
Austria 1

Portugal 5
Hungary 4
Iceland 3
Austria 2
Portugal losing last game while Austria wins puts them in 2nd.
Portugal in 2nd with 3 points is possible if they draw with Hungary with 2 more goals than the a draw between Iceland and Austria.

Vol5

Slovakia were a fucking embarrassment and I can only say that they paid England too much respect. England were difficult to gauge because Slovakia were so poor, however, knock-out stages should give them more space in the final third and it's refreshing to see them execute decent passing for once. I can't really say a more robust team will give them the run-around as overall, England's play has been positive and they play high up, which hasn't been a feature in previous tournaments. When shitty teams like Slovakia park the bus, a point isn't a bad result.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Well done, Wales. Bale showing what a great player he is also in the national team.

Lol at the salt of English fans angry at Slovakia. What do you expect? You wanted Slovakia to step aside to let you win?
A great team can handle playing also against teams who park the bus. Just look at France and Spain. You need players who can make a difference.

On the other side the English team played well at this Euro, so they have good chances to go quite far.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Well done, Wales. Bale showing what a great player he is also in the national team.

Lol at the salt of English fans angry at Slovakia. What do you expect? You wanted Slovakia to step aside to let you win?
A great team can handle playing also against teams who park the bus. Just look at France and Spain. You need players who can make a difference.

On the other side the English team played well at this Euro, so they have good chances to go quite far.

I'm split between England and Wales which should hopefully give me enough neutrality. I'm not really cross at Slovakia; they played for advancement, as any team should, I'm cross at a format that encourages parking the bus as a viable means to that advancement.

Go_Ly_Dow

Portugal is a bit of an arch nemesis for us in tournament footy. I recall they knocked us out at Euro 2004 an then Worldcup 2006, which also had the infamous Rooney stamp and spat with Ronaldo.

I hope we avoid them because I feel Ronaldo will turn up against us.

Also it would be cool to see Wales vs Portugal/Bale vs Ronaldo.

I wish Hodgson wold stick to single formation. It makes sense to stick with a 4-2-3-1 as most of the players do it regularly and would be in the position they normally play and the subs available can easily slot in or out.

With the constant changes of formation and the awful positioning (that was some of the worst 4-3-3 discipline I have seen in a while) it is clear he has no idea, and looks a bit like lower table managers who constantly switch things up. It is international football he doesn't have the luxury to drill a team to play a 4-3-3 system that is possession based out from the back, especially how few of the players actually play that system. Sure switch to a 4-3-3 or a 4-4-2 mid game if it isn't working but always start with the foundations as even a poor version of them can be good enough to mess up another teams game plan, he doesn't have the resources to create a slick dynamic team that can play a few formations at equal levels.

Tubie

Grats Wales and England!

bale3.png

So happy for Wales, my favorite team (and fans) so far this tournament.

Hope you get a beatable team next round and move on to the quarterfinal.

This third place qualifies bullshit is such a scam. I spent 90 miniutes watching Slovakia park the bus for a draw to finish fucking third and still qualify. What a joke.

Tainted

This third place qualifies bullshit is such a scam. I spent 90 miniutes watching Slovakia park the bus for a draw to finish fucking third and still qualify. What a joke.

Indeed. This 24 team format is just ridiculous...those who are unable to finish top 2 in their groups deserve to be knocked out.

Magni

On the one hand, having 4/6 groups with 3/4 teams going through have made for some boring matches, but on the other it's been refreshing to see new teams playing.

In other words, bring on 32 teams!

Kozak

Banned
The 24 team thing hasn't just been shit because of the small teams.

It takes off a fair bit of pressure from the big teams as well.

Raise it to 32 or go back to 16.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom