• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2016 |OT2| Portugal eurowns France + Moths to become champions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markoman

As a German I've got to say that I have absolutely no problem with Italy beating us.
I always hated Italian teams with a passion, because they traumatized me in 1982.
This changed at the last Euro though.

Playing nice is not enough...I need to feel some sympathy with the players at least, but this isn't the case with our team:
Arrogant looking Neuer, arrogant baby-face Götze, douchebag Özil, hipster Boateng, + a mix of lifeless looking androids and a body odour sniffing coach with no personality.
Sorry, really want to force myself to like them, but I just can't.

Go Iceland, go Wales, go France!!!

Peléo

I'm going all in. I say Italy win tonight.

Now I'm curious how many goals the last World Cup's semifinalists scored had scored at the same stage. I would check but on mobile and lazy.

A lot, but last WC was one of the best in terms of goal scored. The four finalists were Germany, Argentina, Holland and Brasil. Holland scored 5 goals against Spain in their first game... You can imagine the rest. Still, these are the results after quarter finals:

Germany: 10 (4x0, 2x2, 1x0, 2x1, 1x0)
Argentina: 8 (2x1, 1x0, 3x2, 1x0, 1x0)
Holland: 12 (5x1, 3x2, 2x0, 2x1, 0x0)
Brazil: 10 (3x1, 0x0, 4x1, 1x1, 2x1)

After that, we had the semifinals, finals, and 3 place.

Germany 7 x 1 Brazil
Argentina 0 x 0 Holland
Germany 1 x 0 Argentina
Holland 3 x 0 Brazil

So:
Germany 18
Argentina 8
Holland 15
Brazil 11

Oersted

As a German I've got to say that I have absolutely no problem with Italy beating us.
I always hated Italian teams with a passion, because they traumatized me in 1982.

Playing nice is not enough...I need to feel some sympathy with the players at least, but this isn't the case with our team:
Arrogant looking Neuer, arrogant baby-face Götze, douchebag Özil, hipster Boateng, + a mix of lifeless looking androids and a body odour sniffing coach with no personality.

3-format23.jpg

El Topo

°°ToMmY°°;208953199 said:
What's the story behind this?

It was the night of the parliament election and they were celebrating their victory. She probably just didn't want to give a false impression to (international) media, given how heated things still were in 2013.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Not being a team seems to be a notorious problem for Belgian teams. I'm not sure if Wilmot's successor could do better in this regard.

There seemed to be numerous moments during the match that Belgium team honestly seemed to have stopped caring. First half they first 15 mins had almost all the posession made males look ordnary, scored and parked the bus never to be seen for the rest of the half again. Second half they came with some hunger, Wales scored and almost went back to bed until around the last twenty mins where they released they may actually lose this and started to put on the pressure, the final goal being a finishing blow. If they hadn't parked the bus and went for the second goal after they scored the first itt may have been a very different match.

They barely seemed to want to win and Wales really did.

Fdkn

Ronaldo has the quality to take on two or tree defenders but he only passes the ball and shows no leadership or worldclass status whatsoever

No, he doesn't anymore.

Ronaldo is trying his best... the problem is that his best is nowhere near enough to what he was able to do 2 years ago.

He is still a brilliant finisher so he could score 3 goals in a good day, but he's no longer able to destroy a team by himself

Neo C.

There seemed to be numerous moments during the match that Belgium team honestly seemed to have stopped caring. First half they first 15 mins had almost all the posession made males look ordnary, scored and parked the bus never to be seen for the rest of the half again. Second half they came with some hunger, Wales scored and almost went back to bed until around the last twenty mins where they released they may actually lose this and started to put on the pressure, the final goal being a finishing blow. If they hadn't parked the bus and went for the second goal after they scored the first itt may have been a very different match.

They barely seemed to want to win and Wales really did.

It's a shame, people thought the old Walloons/Flames-group-thinking is dead in this generation with all the young players with foreign parents, but they still can't get the right spirit. Courtois blaming Wilmots indirectly and in public is a sign of a fundamental problem in the whole team.

petran79

Banned
They play the game like cowards. They have the quality to attack but they only do a halfassed attempt. Ronaldo has the quality to take on two or tree defenders but he only passes the ball and shows no leadership or worldclass status whatsoever (asside from that one brilliant goal). But they wait, play it relatively safe and let it come to a shootout. They only get balls when they are given huge fields of open space.

Not a great team. Just some great players who don't really perform at the top of their game. Ronaldo will cry again and regret he didn't really go for the win.

Ronaldo's role in national team is different than in Real Madrid. Here he has a more defensive and organizing role. It takes quite a skill as a coach to manage a player like Ronaldo and give him that role. Portugal has no striker the way they play.

It's a shame, people thought the old Walloons/Flames-group-thinking is dead in this generation with all the young players with foreign parents, but they still can't get the right spirit. Courtois blaming Wilmots indirectly and in public is a sign of a fundamental problem in the whole team.

The only fundamental problem in this team is Wilmots. If your coach is completely incompetent at tactics then how can players, who work on a daily basis with coaches like Mourinho and Simeone, have any confidence in him? How can you start the second half with any confidence if your coach, in one of the most absurd substitutions I have ever witnessed, takes off Carrasco for Fellaini?

On a managerial level his only accomplishment is getting sacked from Sint-Truiden yet somehow this guy wound up as football coach of one of the best squads in international football? No, the fault lies not with the players, all the blame lies directly with Wilmots and the Football Association.

I love that the passionate little teams are doing well.

The overpaid, careless teams should fuck off. Like yesterday, the belgian players didnt seem to even care about losing. They were already daydreaming of their bentleys and what trashy tattoo to get next.

No, he doesn't anymore.

Ronaldo is trying his best... the problem is that his best is nowhere near enough to what he was able to do 2 years ago.

He is still a brilliant finisher so he could score 3 goals in a good day, but he's no longer able to destroy a team by himself
I think he is able. And i think he could still be as good as 2 years ago.
I don't think he is trying as hard as he can.

Ronaldo's role in national team is different than in Real Madrid. Here he has a more defensive and organizing role. It takes quite a skill as a coach to manage a player like Ronaldo and give him that role. Portugal has no striker the way they play.
True. He has bad luck with the shape of some of the other players. A guy like Nani is nowhere to be seen this tournament.

It's a shame. I always feel Portugal should be abe to do better.
The past few games just weren't good. Okay, it looked nice against Hungary.. But see what Belgium did to Hungary. Hungary just wasn't that much of a challenge i'm afraid.

Portugal basicly reached the semis through penalties alone.
That's telling of how much effort they put in it. I really think most attempts are half assed and they cowardly wait till something opportunistic pops up or They count on Penalties.

But honestly, asside from Spain, France, Italy and Germany, the soccer just isn't very good.
Defence is stealing the show this tournament (thus far). There were some nice individual moments, than god.

Fdkn

I think he is able. And i think he could still be as good as 2 years ago.
I don't think he is trying as hard as he can.
Well, I disagree. As a Real Madrid fan I watch every match, every year. Ronaldo has been in a more than serious decline in every aspect of the game besides finishing inside the box. He's lost speed, he fails more passes than before, he rarely succeeds dribbling, his long range shoots are no longer dangerous and don't even make me start on free kicks, because it's a running joke at this point.
And even with all that, he manages to score over 50 goals per season, so there's that. He's one of the best players in the history of football and the best Real Madrid ever had, and that won't change, but you can't expect that type of superiority from him anymore.

Strax

Hate this anti-football from Wales/Iceland. Small countries just packing men behind the ball and setting up shop. It's nearly impossible for a team to crack 10 guys in front of goal. Offensively they hope to get lucky on a counter or a fluke play. Hope Ronaldo destroys Wales.

Wut. Iceland outplayed England on all points minus possession

Peléo;208952158 said:
A lot, but last WC was one of the best in terms of goal scored. The four finalists were Germany, Argentina, Holland and Brasil. Holland scored 5 goals against Spain in their first game... You can imagine the rest. Still, these are the results after quarter finals:

Germany: 10 (4x0, 2x2, 1x0, 2x1, 1x0)
Argentina: 8 (2x1, 1x0, 3x2, 1x0, 1x0)
Holland: 12 (5x1, 3x2, 2x0, 2x1, 0x0)
Brazil: 10 (3x1, 0x0, 4x1, 1x1, 2x1)

After that, we had the semifinals, finals, and 3 place.

Germany 7 x 1 Brazil
Argentina 0 x 0 Holland
Germany 1 x 0 Argentina
Holland 3 x 0 Brazil

So:
Germany 18
Argentina 8
Holland 15
Brazil 11

Thanks for taking the effort to do that. Interesting reading.

So Wales have scored as many as Germany and Brazil had at the stage of the World Cup, which means we're either going to win the semi 7-1 or lose it 7-1.

EDIT: Regarding tonight's match I just heard that Germany has never beaten Italy at a tournament before, playing 8 times. Kind of surprising.

Hate this anti-football from Wales/Iceland. Small countries just packing men behind the ball and setting up shop. It's nearly impossible for a team to crack 10 guys in front of goal. Offensively they hope to get lucky on a counter or a fluke play. Hope Ronaldo destroys Wales.
Is your argument here that Portugal have been playing great football? We've been watching different games and the Wales argument is so weird, they've played incredibly strong football against Russia, Slovakia, England and Northern Ireland. I don't even see how you think they did this against Belgium when they managed to slot in three goals.

Portugal have been far more boring than Wales.

Curses will be broken today guys :D

pffft

Big-E

No expectations today as this was our weakest team on paper in awhile. Losing to Germany is most likely going to happen, but if it doesn't it will be due to the fact that Conte coached them up.

Cappa

Banned
Not being a team seems to be a notorious problem for Belgian teams. I'm not sure if Wilmot's successor could do better in this regard.
Perhaps not but someone with an ability to make better substitutions surely.

Poor substitutions were their demise in Brazil too.

Cappa

Banned
Huh what? Ronaldo more of a defensive role with the National team? Surely you're being sarcastic?

Well, I disagree. As a Real Madrid fan I watch every match, every year. Ronaldo has been in a more than serious decline in every aspect of the game besides finishing inside the box. He's lost speed, he fails more passes than before, he rarely succeeds dribbling, his long range shoots are no longer dangerous and don't even make me start on free kicks, because it's a running joke at this point.
And even with all that, he manages to score over 50 goals per season, so there's that. He's one of the best players in the history of football and the best Real Madrid ever had, and that won't change, but you can't expect that type of superiority from him anymore.

Okay, fair enough. Dribbling has become pretty bad.
Maybe these guys need more vacation every once and a while.

VLiberty

No expectations today as this was our weakest team on paper in awhile. Losing to Germany is most likely going to happen, but if it doesn't it will be due to the fact that Conte coached them up.

No chance we're winning

We were already blessed in 2012 when we beat them despite the difference between the two teams...it won't happen again.

petran79

Banned
Huh what? Ronaldo more of a defensive role with the National team? Surely you're being sarcastic?

I've been watching F.Santos coaching system for years, from the time he coached in Greek league (PAOK) and Greece national team. I know what I am talking about

Loris146

If we beat Germany there will be caos in Italy for days lol... Damn we have a bad team anyway. Conte is doing a miracle in this Euro cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom