• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2016 |OT2| Portugal eurowns France + Moths to become champions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today is the curse breaking day!

sMZ7q7.jpg

Reading that Löw will possible change the tactics again. I fear we see the Schweinsteiger & Podolski combo today.

Germany has a reasonably good defense and a great middle field but the question is the offense.

Gomez is fine but against that italian wall he may crumble.. Also he is not that great at the tiki taka style. Goetze and Schuerrle is just bad. Mueller is not doing well this tournament. Maybe Draxler can up his game but he was also never very consistent

longdi

Banned
Imho to be successful at international level, you need to play with a systematic formation. Germany is the best atm, then Chile. Italy and Wales came from nowhere and joined the ranks today...

Good teams like Argie, Spain, Belgium can only go so far if your talented players run around individually, leaving acres of space.

Spain used to be top because all their players came from 2 clubs, so there was some common understanding in place already.

The current German team, besides Neur, do not have super 9/10 ranked, £49 million bid priced players, just super team players.

VLiberty

I don't really fear Italy losing vs Germany or even France here. Italy had the tendency to play better vs stronger team.

But, if they meet lets said Iceland, i can see them jobing lol.T_T
The downside is that we're already phisically dead, so there's no problem as we're gonna be eliminated today already

Blablurn

Imho to be successful at international level, you need to play with a systematic formation. Germany is the best atm, then Chile. Italy and Wales came from nowhere and joined the ranks today...

Good teams like Argie, Spain, Belgium can only go so far if your talented players run around individually, leaving acres of space.

Spain used to be top because all their players came from 2 clubs, so there was some common understanding in place already.

The current German team, besides Neur, do not have super 9/10 ranked, £49 million bid priced players, just super team players.

loool

no £49 million bid priced players? check müller

weekev

Banned
Yeah I agree with you, and disagree with the quoted poster. Pepe especially has been an absolute animal, and I am ABSOLUTELY impressed. I mean that. He has been pitch perfect the last 2 games, and in all actions he took during 180 minutes. People were wowing at him here in Portugal at the place I was watching the game. His aggressive style makes it all the better because he just looks like a fucking beast defending.

Most of all, he has completely changed his antics in the field. I'm excluding some diving from this, hundreds of players do that. There are more important things here than that. He has changed so much from his bursts of violence, it's a massive change. He doesn't start violence or confrontation aggressively. He talks and acts to other player much more light-hearted, many times even smiling. He's much calmer. He's said it himself and it's recognized that he has changed, and I very much appreciate the effort he has taken in that. He plays much better in Portugal than Real Madrid. His last 2 performances have been, in my very humble footballing opinion, world class.

Hats off to you Pepe.

Careful taking your hat off around him, he may drop like a sack of tatties and say you punched him in the face and get you sent off.

Looking forward to today's game. Only problem is games this big have a tendency to be a bit anticlimactic (0-0 anyone?) but I hope that's not the case today.

Hate this anti-football from Wales/Iceland. Small countries just packing men behind the ball and setting up shop. It's nearly impossible for a team to crack 10 guys in front of goal. Offensively they hope to get lucky on a counter or a fluke play. Hope Ronaldo destroys Wales.

Wales are the tournaments leading goalscorers. How in the flying fuck does what you say relate to reality?

You just jelly.

Is that a Fifa video game analogy?

Also too many German players play for European top teams for being just "super team players".

I'm going all in. I say Italy win tonight.

Missller is yet to reach half the player that is Klinsmann

10 goals after 5 games, tournament leading goalscorers...lol euro football is sleepy.

Now I'm curious how many goals the last World Cup's semifinalists scored had scored at the same stage. I would check but on mobile and lazy.

petran79

Banned
Just come back in, wanted to double check...it's still 3-1 to Wales isn't it? I just want to make double sure that I'm remembering it correctly. 3-1? Still 3-1? Wales beat Belgium 3-1?

That's really what happened and it's not just something that my brain made up?

Wales also beat Belgium 1-0 in Cardiff and got 0-0 away in the preliminary round

Just come back in, wanted to double check...it's still 3-1 to Wales isn't it? I just want to make double sure that I'm remembering it correctly. 3-1? Still 3-1? Wales beat Belgium 3-1?

That's really what happened and it's not just something that my brain made up?

You need to take into account the Wilmots factor for it to make sense.

Well, tonight will be interesting. The two best teams of the tournament. They both have great coaches, amazing player, real teamspirit and amazing goalies. And they both can play at a ridiculous high pace.
My money right now is on Italy for some reason.

Wales vs Iceland would be awesome.
Awesome as that would be, iceland is really no match for Germany and Italy.
But you never know

Regardless, the Hungary game is an outlier amongst all the games so far for Portugal.
Hungary is not a great team. They did fine but they leave way to much space open for players to excel. You can forget about Ronaldo getting chances like that against italy for instance.

Naingolan with the right analysis: "We have the better players, they have the better team"
Yep. And Wilmots didn't really have an answer. He has ONE dreamteam and that's his strategy.

Portugal will make it into the final. They have great players, but a shitty coach and still manage to not lose against their opponents. Imagine the had someone as Conte...
Conte is the motherfucker of this tournament imo. He is the reason i think Italy will take this home.Ofcourse great willing players and a tremendous goaly.

You better believe Ronaldo will have the game of his life against Bale.
I think he plays like a coward. Haven't seen almost anything of him the whole tournament.
Brilliant goal, but the whole team just doesn't convince in any way. I think wales has a good chance against them. They are brave. Portugal is scared.

Watching Müller playing is like watching a car accident. A car accident that scores goals (normally).
I hope he scores. Great player. But guessing Italy will win. It's a really close call though. Both teams are so good. Who ever wins, i hope both teams will be on the top of their game tonight. We'll at least get one really high quality match, like Spain - Kroatia.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
the teams i want to win are 2 for 2 in the quarters so far, but unfortunately italy will likely not join the club. but the dream semi italy - iceland is still alive, for a moment at least.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
I think he plays like a coward. Haven't seen almost anything of him the whole tournament.
Brilliant goal, but the whole team just doesn't convince in any way. I think wales has a good chance against them. They are brave. Portugal is scared.

that's some of the worst analysis i've ever read. what does that even mean?

Addi

How France can win the Euro:

- Beat Iceland. Tough game, but the team has shown good mentality, patience and won't give up before the final whistle (in contrast to Belgium and England who didn't seem to be mentally tough enough, and France has a better manager than those two). France will probably use a 4-2-3-1 (closer to a 4-4-2 with Griezmann up front with Giroud like in the second half against Ireland, their best half in the Euro). Also, France has Lloris, not Joe Hart.

- Semi-finals would be their toughest game, but if Italy beats Germany, there is a big chance a lot of players will be suspended. 8 Italian players have a yellow card, a tight game tonight and we might get a pretty amputated Italy in the semis. They have a good starting 11, but the depth is questionable.
If Germany wins, France is in trouble.

- Final is probably a little bit easier than the semi. Before the tournament France expected to meet two 'giants' to win the Euros, one in semi (Italy or Germany) and one in the final (Spain). Spain fucked up though.

Also, never underestimate the home court advantage.

Anyway, this is how I try to reassure myself, I'm fucking scared of the vikings, lol.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Can you imagine their "market value" if our players were English? We'd talk about £80m defender Boateng.

To bei fair Boateng is likely worth nearly as much - he is a world class player with a long contract at Bayern - not that they would sell it but it would be for a ridiculous sum. Most other teams dont even try it because Bayern wont sell their essentials like Neuer, Müller etc.

that's some of the worst analysis i've ever read. what does that even mean?

They play the game like cowards. They have the quality to attack but they only do a halfassed attempt. Ronaldo has the quality to take on two or tree defenders but he only passes the ball and shows no leadership or worldclass status whatsoever (asside from that one brilliant goal). But they wait, play it relatively safe and let it come to a shootout. They only get balls when they are given huge fields of open space.

Not a great team. Just some great players who don't really perform at the top of their game. Ronaldo will cry again and regret he didn't really go for the win.

DaNcaKe

Hate this anti-football from Wales/Iceland. Small countries just packing men behind the ball and setting up shop. It's nearly impossible for a team to crack 10 guys in front of goal. Offensively they hope to get lucky on a counter or a fluke play. Hope Ronaldo destroys Wales.

Go back to playing FIFA pal.

SHarris78

The morning after the night before. Enjoying a coffee and tea cake in a cafe overlooking Swansea bay, lots of people reading the sports section of the newspapers. It wasn't a dream.

jts

...hate me...
Anyone thinking Portugal have been sitting behind the ball and praying for a tie this whole tournament, and are not the other teams who should feel blessed about getting a tie against them, are absolutely delusional.

I'll give you the game against Croatia but not more than that.

Portugal had top 3 (of all tourney) attacking stats in group stage, but just couldn't score for shit.

oti

Banned
So how's the flag situation in your country? Germany is very weird this year. People here aren't into flags this time at all it seems.

Coen

The morning after the night before. Enjoying a coffee and tea cake in a cafe overlooking Swansea bay, lots of people reading the sports section of the newspapers. It wasn't a dream.

Congrats pal. Although it did feel kinda nightmarish to me. :'(

casiopao

The downside is that we're already phisically dead, so there's no problem as we're gonna be eliminated today already

Lol. All that negativity lol. U just see here, we are going to win this game with more than half of our player getting seated vs France. Then we can get eliminated lol. Continue the streak bro.^~^

France, Italy and Germany in one bracket. So stupid.

Don't forget Spain too. England does not count as they are damn bad.

jts

...hate me...
Don't forget Spain too. England does not count as they are damn bad.

He has a point with Germany, France, Italy as those teams would always end up in the same side of the bracket if they won their groups, as they did. On the other side, Spain and England only got there because they didn’t win theirs, so it’s hard for the tourney organization to take responsibility for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom