• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2016 |OT2| Portugal eurowns France + Moths to become champions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baleoce

Portugal starting to get the underdog status, thats perfect for them tbh, less pressure more unity among the players thats what gives them strengh. If the foreign press starts to provock them I have no doubts Portugal goes to the final.

I understand the sentiment, but there is no way that Portugal goes into this semi final with the underdog status.

Portugal starting to get the underdog status, thats perfect for them tbh, less pressure more unity among the players thats what gives them strengh. If the foreign press starts to provock them I have no doubts Portugal goes to the final.

Every single bookmaker has Portugal favourites (they're around Evens), Wales are roughly 3-1 underdogs.

Make no mistake Portugal are the favourites and everyone knows it. Portugal have been to either the Semi's or Quarter's of the last 4 or 5 European Championships. Wales have never been to one before. Portugal have have all the experience.

JP

I don't really believe in the whole "favourite" and "underdog" rubbish, that's something that's separate to the actual football and the best teams won't even waste their time on it. Leave it to the fans and leave it to the press.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
They have hardly been facing against great teams, and they scrape through at that. Wales is ironically the first real challenge they've had with the potential to beat them

that is some serious hindsight bias. croatia was easily considered to be one of the most solid teams from the group stages, and poland gave germany a run for their money. didn't do them any good.

thing is, how well a team plays depends greatly on how the opposition plays. if no one has played well against portugal at this point, the most likely explanation is that it is difficult to do so.

Aters

What a pity Ramsey will miss the semi final. His first yellow card was so unnecessary. I still don't know why he would kick that ball, unprofessional. He's been having a great tournament so far.

Baleoce

What a pity Ramsey will miss the semi final. His first yellow card was so unnecessary. I still don't know why he would kick that ball, unprofessional. He's been having a great tournament so far.

It's hard to take, especially as it was an unconscious reflex, but he deserved that yellow card and I won't deny it. I truly believe Andy King can step up if he is made to fill that position. I hope King can prove that he's up to it though..

Principate

Saint Titanfall
that is some serious hindsight bias. croatia was easily considered to be one of the most solid teams from the group stages, and poland gave germany a run for their money. didn't do them any good.

thing is, how well a team plays depends greatly on how the opposition plays. if no one has played well against portugal at this point, the most likely explanation is that it is difficult to do so.
Portugal has enough talent to get through good teams if they don't score and even then they're good at scoring in reaction, those teams were from the start weaker than Portugals potential, most people paying attention to their games could tell you that.

Portugal has an completely ordinary defence which is why Hungary gave them a run for their money the same Hungary that Belgium humiliated. Their scoring itself is hit and miss but not so hit and miss to be out scored by a team that's barely the target themselves.

Oersted

Italy, here is the answer to your hopes and dreams:

C7JP4mwl.jpg

Portugal has enough talent to get through good teams if they don't score and even then they're good at scoring in reaction, those teams were from the start weaker than Portugals potential, most people paying attention to their games could tell you that.

Portugal has an completely ordinary defence which is why Hungary gave them a run for their money the same Hungary that Belgium humiliated. Their scoring itself is hit and miss but not so hit and miss to be out scored by a team that's barely the target themselves.

Lol did you even watch the game against Hungary? 2 goals were deflections and one was a really good goal. The defence is Portugal's best asset, make no mistake.

Ennosuke

Portugal will make it into the final. They have great players, but a shitty coach and still manage to not lose against their opponents. Imagine the had someone as Conte...

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Lol did you even watch the game against Hungary? 2 goals were deflections and one was a really good goal. The defence is Portugal's best asset, make no mistake.
Yes I did, did you see how many shots Portugal allowed to get through and how water like their defence was. It was by no accident they let 3 goals in and were always behind. After so many shots on target some will make it to the net one way or another.

Yes I did, did you see how many shots Portugal allowed to get through and how water like their defence was. It was by no accident they let 3 goals in and were always behind. After so many shots on target some will make it to the net one way or another.

Regardless, the Hungary game is an outlier amongst all the games so far for Portugal.

jelly

Match was superb, got the score right but wrong winner. Belgium were odd, they sat back so much with no pressing, did pen in Wales near the end but didn't seem like they wanted it for most of the match.

Second goal, what a turn, sold those defenders.

It's a team game, well done Wales. Pity about the players missing the next game, Ramsey especially.

Fdkn

My crazy plan is almost complete.

Now Bale needs to destroy Ronaldo in the semis and make him realize he's no longer the RM star. His ego will make him go to PSG before his decline forces fans to regret him staying for too long.

petran79

Banned
I respect your opinion, but this was the match against Iceland:

5yaSIGJ.png

Of course, stats don’t win games, and one time this tourney Portugal has been on the other side also, defending well and making the chances count: against Croatia.

Football is just like that. The only justice is whatever the teams can bring home.

that was before Santos changed tactics. No wonder he does not have Vieirinha in the main squad the last 2 games. That player gave a huge boost to the teams attack but he lacked in defense.

Yeah I agree with you, and disagree with the quoted poster. Pepe especially has been an absolute animal, and I am ABSOLUTELY impressed. I mean that. He has been pitch perfect the last 2 games, and in all actions he took during 180 minutes. People were wowing at him here in Portugal at the place I was watching the game. His aggressive style makes it all the better because he just looks like a fucking beast defending.

Most of all, he has completely changed his antics in the field. I'm excluding some diving from this, hundreds of players do that. There are more important things here than that. He has changed so much from his bursts of violence, it's a massive change. He doesn't start violence or confrontation aggressively. He talks and acts to other player much more light-hearted, many times even smiling. He's much calmer. He's said it himself and it's recognized that he has changed, and I very much appreciate the effort he has taken in that. He plays much better in Portugal than Real Madrid. His last 2 performances have been, in my very humble footballing opinion, world class.

Hats off to you Pepe.

JP

Just come back in, wanted to double check...it's still 3-1 to Wales isn't it? I just want to make double sure that I'm remembering it correctly. 3-1? Still 3-1? Wales beat Belgium 3-1?

That's really what happened and it's not just something that my brain made up?

Baleoce

Just come back in, wanted to double check...it's still 3-1 to Wales isn't it? I just want to make double sure that I'm remembering it correctly. 3-1? Still 3-1? Wales beat Belgium 3-1?

Mate not even just 3 - 1. Robson fuck in kanu Cruyff turned 3 defenders for the goal that won the game. It also took every ounce of my being to even write that sentence.

casiopao

I don't really fear Italy losing vs Germany or even France here. Italy had the tendency to play better vs stronger team.

But, if they meet lets said Iceland, i can see them jobing lol.T_T

Hate this anti-football from Wales/Iceland. Small countries just packing men behind the ball and setting up shop. It's nearly impossible for a team to crack 10 guys in front of goal. Offensively they hope to get lucky on a counter or a fluke play. Hope Ronaldo destroys Wales.
LOL.

Fellow small country Portugal have been the masters of anti-football this tournament.

Tosyn_88

I guess the performance of this Welsh squad dismisses those claims in England that native players aren't given a chance. It just goes to show you how much team cohesion is vital

Donos

only watched the game while playing pool billiard yesterday but that looked like an entertaining match...

picture says it all:
PMbKXZn.jpg

faridmon

You lot will disagree with me, but that Robson-Kanu Goal might be the best goal in the tournament. That turn was magnificent and he made 3 defenders look stupid.

Yep.

Goes to show how much team cohesion matters. Our Red Devils have been getting by on 75% pure luck, that had to catch up to them sooner or later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom