• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2016 |OT2| Portugal eurowns France + Moths to become champions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlamFM

Banned
Portugal have no business still being in the Euro, a truly horrible team.

Hope Wales gets the job done. If not the sweet Ronaldo tears will be delivered in the final - against Germany.

Tugatrix

Hope Wales gets the job done. If not the sweet Ronaldo tears will be delivered in the final - against Germany.

haters gonna hate

tumblr_o9mr7wge6L1tjkfe1o1_540.gif

Hope Wales gets the job done. If not the sweet Ronaldo tears will be delivered in the final - against Iceland.

I see you made a grievous error in your post so I went ahead and edited it for you.

Winter is coming

chadskin

Schweinsteiger's injured as well, DFB says it remains to be see if he can return for the semifinal or the final.

Hoo boy. Time for Can or Weigl.

Markoman

Where do you guys see Italy in the World Cup? With Conte gone and such do you think we'll be stronger? Maybe we will get some good players called up? Italy was very strong this Euro but we did deliberately give the victory away to Germany, imo.

Hard to say. I think Italy really needs a central figure in midfield/offense like Pirlo, Totti, Del Pierro.
Pelle surely isn't able to fill that hole. He has one move and it has gotten old already.

Second problem: dat Juve defense is really getting old. Are two years enough to build a new well-practiced defense coming from one or two Italian clubs?

Tugatrix

Lucky, not fairly. Literally the easiest path to a final ever. Sorry, but Portugal absolutely do not belong amongst the best 4.

Unluck maybe, if Ronaldo scored half the shots he missed against Poland, oh my. The same applies to iceland and austria. If Portugal had a decent striker no one would be saying things like that about portugal, the amount of goals they miss is staggering

Courage

Lucky, not fairly. Literally the easiest path to a final ever. Sorry, but Portugal absolutely do not belong amongst the best 4.

Good thing the result is what matters and not some idealistic view of how the team should be playing. Santos himself said he'd prefer if the team played better, but if this is what gets them to the title, then so be it.

chadskin

GlamFM

Banned
Good thing the result is what matters and not some idealistic view of how the team should be playing. Santos himself said he'd prefer if the team played better, but if this is what gets them to the title, then so be it.

Portugal did not win a single group stage match. They got really lucky.

UrbanRats

besides of the spain game where spain played really bad Italy hasn't shown me a cup deserving performance this year. lost against ireland with the B-team. barely won against a one man team sweden and won against belgium who is an even bigger disappointment (well can you say disappointment when they always play below expectations?).
compared to italy of before I (as an non italian outsider who only watches Italy on this occasions) was disappointed.

Ireland was a pointless match to win, so it made sense for them to relax, and not expend too much energy, given that they had to face Spain next.

And it's not like Italy has been doing exactly stellar stuff, ever since 2006, so i don't know why your expectations were that high.

Unluck maybe, if Ronaldo scored half the shots he missed against Poland, oh my. The same applies to iceland and austria. If Portugal had a decent striker no one would be saying things like that about portugal, the amount of goals they miss is staggering
Exactly. If we had a decent striker then we wouldn't need to go to penalties. Ronaldo keeps missing every single shot...

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I'm as francophile as they come, but man it's hard not to cheer for bad ass Iceland tonight

Markoman

Yeah, the hate Portugal gets is a little bit exaggerated. Is Potugal a tier 1 team? No, but they pulled off the biggest coup in this tournament when they played against Croatia. This was a highly risky effort. Imagine Portugal loosing against Croatia and the shitstorm the coach would have gotten for changing the system completely.

In 40 years I haven't experienced one of the big teams pulling off a tactical stunt like this.
Respect, where respect is due.
If they manage to win the Euro with this approach, well that's football...remember Greece?

Big-E

Yeah, the hate Portugal gets is a little bit exaggerated. Is Potugal a tier 1 team? No, but they pulled off the biggest coup in this tournament when they played against Croatia. This was a highly risky effort. Imagine Portugal loosing against Croatia and the shitstorm the coach would have gotten for changing the system completely.

In 40 years I haven't experienced one of the big teams pulling off a tactical stunt like this.
Respect, where respect is due.
If they manage to win the Euro with this approach, well that's football...remember Greece?

The fact that fans of the team are comparing current Portugal with Greece in a favourable light just shows you how awful Portugal has been.

Markoman

The fact that fans of the team are comparing current Portugal with Greece in a favourable light just shows you how awful Portugal has been.

Awful? Well, don't hate the players, hate the game then. If Greece was that awful in 2004, how was it possible that no one was able to beat them? Not nice for the viewer's eyes, but effective as hell. Do I have to remind you that Otto Rehagel was able to take Kaiserslautern from Germany's 2nd back to 1st division and they won the title in that same season 96/97?
Rehagel was a fucking beast.

If football borowed some basketball rules, like prohibited passing into your own half, then teams like Greece back then or Portugal now would never get that far. As it is now, they're just playing by the rules.

tuxfool

Banned
If football borowed some basketball rules, like prohibited passing into your own half, then teams like Greece back then or Portugal now would never get that far. As it is now, they're just playing by the rules.

For one thing Portugal haven't been passing backwards into their own half to particularly greater degree than any other team in the championship.

Markoman

For one thing Portugal haven't been passing backwards into their own half to particularly greater degree than any other team in the championship.

Sorry, that was not my implication. Portugal has some troubles with effectiveness , creativity and defensive stability this tourney though, so my point still stands.

Now that I think about it, a football spin-off with no back-passing and time restricted ball posession would be interesting indeed.

Edit: I was addressing Croatia in particular in their match against Portugal. They did the backpassing and they were punished in the end for trying to play it safe.

tuxfool

Banned
Sorry, that was not my implication. Portugal has some troubles with effectiveness , creativity and defensive stability this tourney though, so my point still stands.
Sure. For most games possession of the ball has mostly fine, attacking too (even if it hasn't been creative). The problem has been closing the deal. Defensively it has also been all over the place.

Now that I think about it, a football spin-off with no back-passing and time restricted ball posession would be interesting indeed.

They could make the ball an oval and allow people to hold it, make passing backwards obligatory. They could then call this magical game Rugby-Football.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom