• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2016 |OT2| Portugal eurowns France + Moths to become champions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syder

You know Pep Guardiola did the same with Lahm at Bayern, right? Is he a shit tier manager too?
Yes, according to BayernGAF.
RooneyHeadMaybe.png

Thankfully we get another world cup with Buffon. Dude still is one of the best. After him the team will never be the same.
Awesome. Dude is just all around great. Hopefully they get further next time

The question is how can you not see his dumb decisions?
Pdot said it right - he thinks he is more clever than he is, the complete nonsense with Lahm that everyone really everyone called him out on.
Something i have never witnessed - so many experts, coaches, etc.. told him it is wrong, cause it was obvious to anyone. And he still continued with it, it was "luck" that Mustafi got injured against algeria in the round of 16 and so he had to put Lahm back into the df. They played much better from this point on. I would take any bet that we wouldn't have won the wc with Lahm in mf.
Then the complete changes whenever we played Italy or Spain.
We played an unreal k.o. round in 2010, we won 4-1 against England then 4-0 against Argentina then we faced Spain and Löw came up with one of his special tactics.
I think i have never seen a team going from such a high point to such a low level.
And i'm not saying we would have won against them with another coach, but his changes completely destroyed our chances.
The game was unwatchable, could have gone 6 hours and we still wouldn't have scored a single goal.
The best team he ever coached was vfb stuttgart and he was coaching Austria Wien before he became head-coach of germany, might be telling ...

And btw Völler reached the wc finals with a comparatively absolute trash team.
Apparently the "experts" also told him to change tactics in 2014 from the quarter finals to the final but he refused every time. Seems like that worked out quite well. The experts aren't always right and so is Löw. But overall he does a good job I think. Consistent team performance is not something you can take for granted. Maybe consider that the things he does offscreen are likely quite good to foster that team spirit and play that's very evidently on display here.

Zaza.....gesù

Gutted but proud of this team. Expectations were low going in but they went above and beyond. Going out to the world champions on penalties is nothing to be ashamed of.

Hopefully Buffon gets a proper sendoff in 2018 ;)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Wait what? You changed the club you supported? I assume you're not actually German then and just sympathise with various clubs from various leagues?

Haunted

Man, these are the best kind of hangovers.

Apparently the "experts" also told him to change tactics in 2014 from the quarter finals to the final but he refused every time. Seems like that worked out quite well. The experts aren't always right and so is Löw. But overall he does a good job I think. Consistent team performance is not something you can take for granted. Maybe consider that the things he does offscreen are likely quite good to foster that team spirit and play that's very evidently on display here.
Pretty much.

I don't always agree with him, but the results do speak for themselves. 6 Euros and World Cups with Löw on the bench (1 as the tactical brain at Klinsmann's side and 5 with him as the head coach) and the worst result Germany has had was third place. Though arguably not as significant as Brazil's golden era (1958-1970) and Spain's tiki-taka (2008-2012) with three major tournament wins each, that's a historically unprecedented stretch of consistency in the top 3 without messing up and going out earlier even once over a full decade of tournaments.

DwFUnsA.gif

What makes this embarrassing is that he even looks kind of scared when he makes this "taunt" move. You should look self confident if you do this, instead Pelle almost looks like he is going to cry.

I guess Neuer, didn't care anyway...

Happy to see the curse lifted..

Xater

Gaf hates Germany now too?

Portugal v Germany is going to be the Batman v Superman of finals ;_;

Some people just want to see the world burn.

Sadly I was only able to see the last 30 minutes and the penalties. Man Schweini had to make this shit way more excruciating than it needed to be.

Clydefrog

tumblr_o9pk8ppN7q1shuwvvo3_540.jpg

Dat Kimmich

Sensation of the year.

Kimmich looked so nervous. I had him missing his PK 100% but he fucking nailed it.

Muller's having a shitstorm of a tournament. I guess that means he'll show up now when they really need it.

Was this Buffon's last major tournament? What a legend.

FootballFan

Zaza please post if you're okay. Worried about what Conte might have done to you in the locker room after the game

Zaza had no touch of the ball, the first touch was that one shot he had for the penalty. This does not excuse his terrible run-up but Conte definitely shares some of the blame here.

As a German I've got to say that I have absolutely no problem with Italy beating us.
I always hated Italian teams with a passion, because they traumatized me in 1982.
This changed at the last Euro though.

Playing nice is not enough...I need to feel some sympathy with the players at least, but this isn't the case with our team:
Arrogant looking Neuer, arrogant baby-face Götze, douchebag Özil, hipster Boateng, + a mix of lifeless looking androids and a body odour sniffing coach with no personality.
Sorry, really want to force myself to like them, but I just can't.

Go Iceland, go Wales, go France!!!

I absolutely love how this post reads like it was written by the crying, angry baby-avatar.

Booh hooh. I don't like how these players look wah wah.

Edit: I watched the game with some friends at a bar, there was a group of Italians in the far right corner. The word "Schadenfreude" was invented for situations like this.

T-Rex.

Banned
He's a tit because he ended up missing lmao, but there's nothing wrong with Pelle doing that. How is it any different to the keepers making themselves big and jumping around before the pen is taken? It's all mind games. "Disrespectful" lol.

Blablurn

Kimmich looked so nervous. I had him missing his PK 100% but he fucking nailed it.

Muller's having a shitstorm of a tournament. I guess that means he'll show up now when they really need it.

Was this Buffon's last major tournament? What a legend.

Apparently Buffon wants to play the next WC!

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Zaza had no touch of the ball, the first touch was that one shot he had for the penalty. This does not excuse his terrible run-up but Conte definitely shares some of the blame here.

i agree. if a team at this level has multiple people doing this nonsense (and one apparently subbed in just to take a penalty), then the coach is to blame for not curbing this shit from his team.

i wanted italy to win, but seeing those penalties, eh.

Celine

Germany beat us fair and square.
Congratulations to them.
It wasn't an easy walk though :)

I have nothing to blame upon our national team because they performed above expectation and put lots of heart.

Pretty nice (& lucky) victory.
Italy fought well, but were not proactive enough and nowhere near as dangerous on the counter as in the game vs Spain.

Kimmchi was exposed quite a few times, as I predicted, even though Italy didn't do all that much to threaten the German goal. Although Löw's sudden change of formation™ may have benefited that and almost cost us again. I just hope he will fuck off after the tournament, no matter its outcome.
Schweine should just retire after the tournament. Can would easily be a better sub to bring on after Khedira's inury. And it's not like he did captain_y things either (e.g. not missing his pen).
Boateng had a brain fart reminiscent of the ones he produced on a regular basis 4-5 years ago.
Müller continues to suck and is still fielded no matter what.
Gomez' pre-assist was superb.

Now, without Hummels and possibly without Khedira & Gomez we're most likely fucked vs. France (Island is fun and all, but it's going to be France).
Löw is probably going to go back to the standard formation, replace Hummels with Höwedes (who will probably do well), but Löw will also start Schweine and replace Gomez with either Götze or Müller. This will hamper our ability to score (& cause a ruckus in the box) and make our midfield porous.

Haunted

This is pretty cool: Belgian fans applauding and forming a guard of honor for the Welsh fans at the Lille train station: https://twitter.com/NWalesYellows/status/749145040295985152
I'm super happy that the inexcusable acts of the violent Russian, English, Croatian and German hooligans at the beginning of the tournament were countered so hard by the friendliness, passion and love of real football fans during the course of the tournament.

The amazing Irish and Northern Irish songs, the good vibes everyone feels when following the Welsh and Icelandic success stories and and just good, clean fan behaviour like the above made this tournament fun to watch after the initial shocks and middling match quality.

Good stuff.

Haunted

Pretty nice (& lucky) victory.
Italy fought well, but were not proactive enough and nowhere near as dangerous on the counter as in the game vs Spain.

Kimmchi was exposed quite a few times, as I predicted, even though Italy didn't do all that much to threaten the German goal. Although Löw's sudden change of formation™ may have benefited that and almost cost us again. I just hope he will fuck off after the tournament, no matter its outcome.
Schweine should just retire after the tournament. Can would easily be a better sub to bring on after Khedira's inury. And it's not like he did captain_y things either (e.g. not missing his pen).
Boateng had a brain fart reminiscent of the ones he produced on a regular basis 4-5 years ago.
Müller continues to suck and is still fielded no matter what.
Gomez' pre-assist was superb.

Now, without Hummels and possibly without Khedira & Gomez we're most likely fucked vs. France (Island is fun and all, but it's going to be France).
Löw is probably going to go back to the standard formation, replace Hummels with Höwedes (who will probably do well), but Löw will also start Schweine and replace Gomez with either Götze or Müller. This will hamper our ability to score (& cause a ruckus in the box) and make our midfield porous.
Kimmich is definitely a weakness, defensively. But such an important part of the offensive efforts along with Özil.

Schweinsteiger was a solid replacement for Khedira, lots of contacts, lots of passes. If he can't make the full 90 minutes, we have another excellent defensive midfielder in the wings with Can. I'm not worried.

Mustafi made a good match when he started against Ukraine - yeah, he's not Hummels, but I think he's going to do just fine. Höwedes would do the same. Together with Boateng and Neuer, our central defense is another position I'm not worried about.

Now, I'm not sure if Gomez is out for the semis, but that would weaken us since Götze and Müller haven't performed up to their standards yet. Maybe he'll give Sanè a shot.

Binabik15

I'm mostly neutral but I want Iceland to go after their keeper told Neuer to stop playing defence and sticking to the goal like a "decent keeper". Fuck that. And it's my GF's last day in Paris after 6 months, so it'd be nice to have a jubilant city as her last impression.

PS: Aters, is that Orko in your avatar? I'd like that picture in a higher res, anyway, but Google failed me :)

Gutted for Hummels. Misses next match because of two unjustified yellows.

On average the ref performance this tournament is quite good, but there have been some very unfortunately wrong calls.

I'm mostly neutral but I want Iceland to go after their keeper told Neuer to stop playing defence and sticking to the goal like a "decent keeper". Fuck that. And it's my GF's last day in Paris after 6 months, so it'd be nice to have a jubilant city as her last impression.

PS: Aters, is that Orko in your avatar? I'd like that picture in a higher res, anyway, but Google failed me :)

He said that? Really? Any source?

Fritz

Taking the liberty to respond: It's from tactics ogre

art-44.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom