• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2016 |OT2| Portugal eurowns France + Moths to become champions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Binabik15

He said that? Really? Any source?

Nope, was in a dubbed over interview as part of a short feature on Iceland by ARD yesterday. He said (according to the sub) that Neuer should stop doing his defence shtick or trainers will expect all goalkeepers to do that and he should stick to his box. The "like a decent keeper" line could be heard clearly though, as it was at the end when the sub voice was finished speaking. It was probably in good humour but after yesterday it's enough to make me lean towards France.

It'd be a greater opportunity for some neighbourly Schadenfreude to beat them in their own country in the semis. And some sort of cosmic karma after Germany losing to Italy in 2006at home. Beat Italy, kick out the host in the semis, EU crumbles 😱 Maybe...maybe that shouldn't happen.

Edit: Fritz, Dankeschön. BUTTERKUCHEN.

Ruruja

Peléo;209018887 said:
One can argue this kind of mindgames should not be part of Football.

Just in case people don't realise, Neuer was the one asking them where they were going to go (pointing etc), he didn't just do it for no reason. His penalty was still shit though.

Nope, was in a dubbed over interview as part of a short feature on Iceland by ARD yesterday. He said (according to the sub) that Neuer should stop doing his defence shtick or trainers will expect all goalkeepers to do that and he should stick to his box. The "like a decent keeper" line could be heard clearly though, as it was at the end when the sub voice was finished speaking. It was probably in good humour but after yesterday it's enough to make me lean towards France.

It'd be a greater opportunity for some neighbourly Schadenfreude to beat them in their own country in the semis. And some sort of cosmic karma after Germany losing to Italy in 2006at home. Beat Italy, kick out the host in the semis, EU crumbles 😱 Maybe...maybe that shouldn't happen.

Edit: Fritz, Dankeschön. BUTTERKUCHEN.

Neuers "shtick" is the best thing to happen to the German team. Such a progressive approach to a position that had basically no development in the last 50 years. And he is really good at it too.

no problem

there still are teams like Island and Portugal to get me those german tears ;)

Portugal in charge of beating Germany...

It makes my heart happy how Germany beats two (Ronaldo and Messi) of the wannabe best player of all time in tournaments every fucking time.

Neuers "shtick" is the best thing to happen to the German team. Such a progressive approach to a position that had basically no development in the last 50 years. And he is really good at it too.

Well, the shtick is a thing since Lehmann.

Binabik15

And he has ice water running through his veins. He gave an interview after this nailbitter of a penalty clown show and was still chill as you can be.

If he ever scores a goal like I'm secretly rooting for I'd be almost willing to give him Gauck's job. No other nation would dare argue with such a head of state ;)

Germany has this in the bag. It would be a Golden State Warriors collapse if they somehow lose this tournament.

Great, first GAF jinx made Boateng stupud again, now you go and spoil the title.

Germany has this in the bag. It would be a Golden State Warriors collapse if they somehow lose this tournament.

France and Portugal are def able to win against germany. Not saying they are not favoured but football is not an exact science.

Also that italy game was pretty exhausting for the German players, that has to be taken into consideration too.

Clydefrog

Great, first GAF jinx made Boateng stupud again, now you go and spoil the title.

France and Portugal are def able to win against germany. Not saying they are not favoured but football is not an exact science.

Also that italy game was pretty exhausting for the German players, that has to be taken into consideration too.

lol

as long as Ozil doesn't take another penalty, you guys have nothing to worry about

Portugal in charge of beating Germany...

It makes my heart happy how Germany beats two (Ronaldo and Messi) of the wannabe best player of all time in tournaments every fucking time.

Well, the shtick is a thing since Lehmann.

But neuer takes it to a new level imo. The other defenders actually treat him as an one of their own.

Haunted

So you're saying it's as likely to happen as that thing that happened two weeks ago. Gotcha.

I do admit that the game against Italy could've been the hardest match in the tournament, but that doesn't mean that winning against France or Wales/Portugal is going to be easy. Are we the favourites? Yes. But that's it.

Clydefrog

So you're saying it's as likely to happen as that thing that happened two weeks ago. Gotcha.

I do admit that the game against Italy could've been the hardest match in the tournament, but that doesn't mean that winning against France or Wales/Portugal is going to be easy. Are we the favourites? Yes. But that's it.

yeah, but that's like winning the lottery twice.

SCHLAND!

Blablurn

13510947_10154101483556609_2043667319120857898_n.png

german humour

Strax

You guys already talk about Manuel Neuer coming off the line way before the Italy players kicked the ball? As a former goalkeeper I hate that, its illegal and refs should have the balls to call it more often.

VLiberty

I still haven't had enough of throwing insults at Zaza

What a useless player. The only thing he's good at is scoring against Napoli, which is the team I root for. You useless hrngfgf ****** arghjhg

Markoman

I absolutely love how this post reads like it was written by the crying, angry baby-avatar.

Booh hooh. I don't like how these players look wah wah.

Edit: I watched the game with some friends at a bar, there was a group of Italians in the far right corner. The word "Schadenfreude" was invented for situations like this.

;P A 40 year old baby to be precise.

Nevermind, no hard feelings on my behalf. Never said I'm rooting for Italy or hating Germany.

Just being honest and not running with the herd. I've started watching international football tournaments at age 5 and Germany has always been in the top 5 teams (except 1998-2001). Why? Because there are 80+ million Germans, they have the biggest football association (club members) ww and a national league that supports talents rather than selling out (hello Chelsea, ManC, PSG).
How much can you feel hyped for a good steak, after 5 days of eating steak? I was much more hyped for Iceland, because they are true Davids and the team an their fans are igniting sparks of true passion. The German machine on the other hand is running as expected and yes, they got this.

For sure. I can see some oddworld scenario where France/Iceland/Wales somehow beat us. But definitely not Portugal. Their curse when playing against us is several layers stronger than us vs Italy. At least we always had a chance to break it when we tried and barely failed each time. Portugal can't say that and their defence is still inefficient as hell :p

No it isn't, he's the one holding the defense together, see the lapses against Ukraine that haven't happen since he came back.
It will be fine against Iceland. France could be a bigger problem, but Höwedes seems to replace him well.

Where do you guys see Italy in the World Cup? With Conte gone and such do you think we'll be stronger? Maybe we will get some good players called up? Italy was very strong this Euro but we did deliberately give the victory away to Germany, imo.

longdi

Banned

Wut? No german players today come close to these 2 beasts. I like to see Muller or Schweinsteiger carry tactically inept teams through a cup. If only Higuain wasn't higuaining, Argies would've won and Missler(missing again yesterday) will not be carrying that smug look for past 2 years.

Current german team are just physically strong, tactically well drilled players with no flair just pure robotics. And they spent tons of euros on sports technology and video surveillance, something which only Messi's hidden tax money can help AFA to pay for.

Likewise Bayern has to thanks the likes of Robben,Ribery,Thiago,Xabi to add the beauty of football to their football.

Where do you guys see Italy in the World Cup? With Conte gone and such do you think we'll be stronger? Maybe we will get some good players called up? Italy was very strong this Euro but we did deliberately give the victory away to Germany, imo.
Could go either way really. I could see a strong run all the way to the final or going out in qualification. All depends on who they get on the field and what the new coach is going to do. Conte is probably going to be missed. But yeah, footi is so unpredictable either scenario could happen.

Wut? No german players today come close to these 2 beasts. I like to see Muller or Schweinsteiger carry tactically inept teams through a cup. If only Higuain wasn't higuaining, Argies would've won and Missler(missing again yesterday) will not be carrying that smug look for past 2 years.

Current german team are just physically strong, tactically well drilled players with no flair just pure robotics. And they spent tons of euros on sports technology and video surveillance, something which only Messi's hidden tax money can help AFA to pay for.

Likewise Bayern has to thanks the likes of Robben,Ribery,Thiago,Xabi to add the beauty of football to their football.
Ronaldo had one good game this Euro and both of them weren't super impressive last WC. They are excellent players individually, but their teams don't really mash together at all. I don't see them carrying the whole thing (so far). A one player army doing everything hasn't worked in the longest time, those times are likely over tbh. And Ronaldos free kicks are starting to get kinda embarrassing lol

I see plenty of flair in the German team but to each their own I guess. The poster you quoted also didn't mean that we have a better player than those two, but that our team makes them cry every time they meet because they can't get anything going. Which is true, don't think Messi ARG and Ronaldo POR ever beat us in a tournament. More often than not they were stunningly defeated with Messi and Ronaldo being a complete no show.

Well if the 12 year pattern continues then I see us losing in the finals. Probably to Brazil yet again. That or we miss the World Cup for the first time in 60 years, either or.

spidye

Lmao.

What? They were arguably the second or third best in the tournament so far.
Now some shitty penalty ruins the whole performance? Besides, Germany basically missed as many (except the last one, ofc).

besides of the spain game where spain played really bad Italy hasn't shown me a cup deserving performance this year. lost against ireland with the B-team. barely won against a one man team sweden and won against belgium who is an even bigger disappointment (well can you say disappointment when they always play below expectations?).
compared to italy of before I (as an non italian outsider who only watches Italy on this occasions) was disappointed.

VLiberty

No Conte
No Barzagli
Bonucci, Chiellini and Buffon weaker

So, basically, we'll miss 75% of what made us get this far

And I don't see any good, young players that could explode right in time for the WC

and the attack is total crap

edit: and I don't think we could've done much more in the 120'. We were this close to make something incredible, but Zaza is crap and Pellè is stupid

No Conte
No Barzagli
Bonucci, Chiellini and Buffon weaker

So, basically, we'll miss 75% of what made us get this far

And I don't see any good, young players that could explode right in time for the WC

and the attack is total crap

Don't forget that Zaza and Pelle will no doubt still be a part of the squad. Might as well prepare ourselves for an early exit if they're the best we got.

VLiberty

btw this year I rooted for:

Serie A: Napoli

Champions: Juve up to their elimination, then Atletico

Coppa Italia: after Napoli's elimination, whatever. Although I wish Juventus hadn't won the 11th

EL: Napoli up to their elimination, then Borussia up to their elimination. In the final, Liverpool

Copa America: Argie

EURO: Italy

christ

oh well...go germany?

Undead

btw this year I rooted for:

Serie A: Napoli

Champions: Juve up to their elimination, then Atletico

Coppa Italia: after Napoli's elimination, whatever. Although I wish Juventus hadn't won the 11th

EL: Napoli up to their elimination, then Borussia. In the final, Liverpool

Copa America: Argie

EURO: Italy

christ

So, you're saying if we want to make bets, we do the opposite of what you do?
What's your pick for tonight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom