• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europa Universalis IV MP Community Thread of fanboi needing to speaka da English

Who will be the first backstabbing victim?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Based on his posts I think ArrEmer should start at 4

not really, but sort of :p

My player rating is going to be so low
I will have my revenge

to be fair it felt like the AI played about as much as you did for long periods of time. So the rating reflects a bit on the AI too.. :p

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
r00d.

Also it's ArrEmer. D:<

125647877fb247a13930326c13d662ffc0e6a9c254188a9d57243c4486892a05.jpg

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
3. As of the current country rankings you'd only be locked out from choosing: France, Ottomans, England, Castile, Muscovy, Austria, Poland and Burgundy

...who, with the exception of Burgundy, are all Lucky Nations anyway despite being the best nations in the game without it.

lolparadox

...who, with the exception of Burgundy, are all Lucky Nations anyway despite being the best nations in the game without it.

lolparadox

And of course most of them also have godlike national ideas.
I understand why, because it would be weird to have every game go up in flames instead of having some sort of consistency, but c'mon.
At least Muscovy and England aren't as consistently good anymore.

Uzzy

I can't imagine they'd receive a very high rating, so you're probably safe. I might play something in Tibet though if you're okay with that.

Ming would be doomed. If you wanted to play Tibet, that'd be fine, as Taungu is so far the only nation that I'm looking at who's starts I can do reliably on my own.

CloudWolf

And of course most of them also have godlike national ideas.
I understand why, because it would be weird to have every game go up in flames instead of having some sort of consistency, but c'mon.
At least Muscovy and England aren't as consistently good anymore.
Seriously? In most of my games Muscovy becomes the Russian monster and England always becomes GB without much opposition. The only way to stop them is by striking them down early.

In my experience Poland and Austria are way less consistent. Mostly because (like The Ottomans and France), once they start to lose, everybody around them declares on them too. In my SP game as The Papal State this led to some interesting (and also terrifying) results:

By the way, I had nothing to do with that Bohemia. Austria was my ally for almost the entire game (except for the last ten to twenty years, where I decided I wanted to connect my lands) and Bohemia one of my biggest foes. They were also one of the two nations tha that could actually beat me (the other one being Russia, Bohemia's only ally because this game wants the player to fail). Their armies are insane.

Bonus pic of a glorious Papal North-America, or how I like to call it: Why Imperialism is crazy OP. I basically used it to annex entire colonial nations. In the case of Mexico (Zion), I annexed France's Mexican CN and an entire Incan nation for 95% warscore and zero diplo points. Felt good, man.

I've seen Muscovy get pounded by Novgorod, the Golden Horde, Poland/Lithuania and even by the Livonian Order.
They still are strong most of the time, but there's occasions where they just fall apart. I've seen the same happening to England and even occasionally Castile. Never seen it happen to France, though.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I've seen Muscovy get pounded by Novgorod, the Golden Horde, Poland/Lithuania and even by the Livonian Order.
They still are strong most of the time, but there's occasions where they just fall apart. I've seen the same happening to England and even occasionally Castile. Never seen it happen to France, though.

+1 for this guys rating please, he played too much EU4 :p

CloudWolf

But who piles on England? Scotland and Irish minors?

Depends on how alliances fall. Aside from France, I've seen Sweden or an Iberian (Castile, rarely Portugal) land in England. If the Hansa gets involved in some way, the English fleet often gets completely blown up too. Once I've even seen the Ottomans invade England, because Portugal, whom they were allied to, had declared on one of the Northern Africans who happened to be allied with the Ottomans. It was a bad day for England.

CloudWolf

Depends on how alliances fall. Aside from France, I've seen Sweden or an Iberian (Castile, rarely Portugal) land in England. If the Hansa gets involved in some way, the English fleet often gets completely blown up too. Once I've even seen the Ottomans invade England, because Portugal, whom they were allied to, had declared on one of the Northern Africans who happened to be allied with the Ottomans. It was a bad day for England.
You've definitely played too much EU4, I have never seen this happen. France? Sure. Sweden and Iberia? Okay. But Ottomans? Never.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
My SP experience (and I have so many starts only from playing the damn Granada) France and the Ottomans are the only constantly huge countries out there. Muscovy gets kicked from time to time by Novgorod and Golden Horde, I had England (my ally) trashed by a Scotland that was allied with a huge France that was also kicking the ass of Spain meanwhile. Castile is only strong because of the Iberian wedding event, otherwise quite often they get beaten even by the poor Granada :)P). Austria is usually very strong as long as they stay Emperor and especially when they inherit Burgundy, but from time to time they get in an endless number of wars (making them quite an annoying ally) which can destroy them or give that opportunity to another HRE state.

Poland is in like half of the games reduced to several provinces, even if they manage to keep Lithuania under PU. If Austria goes against them in the early game they are done in no time and the Ottomans will just finish that. I had one game as Transylvania (released and played as vassal from Hungary) were I managed to vassalize Poland in about 120 years I think. With a little help from Austria.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
You've definitely played too much EU4, I have never seen this happen. France? Sure. Sweden and Iberia? Okay. But Ottomans? Never.

It wasn't uncommon in EU3, I can remember a fair few embarrassing Turkish British Isles.

Yeah, EU3 was even crazier. But I've even seen the Ottomans get kicked apart if alliances just fell into place like that. It really all depends on whom the AI buddies up with.

That said, the one big country I consistently see performing badly is Hungary. Where France is the constant strong power, Hungary is always getting torn asunder by rebels, as well as all of the surrounding powers (Austria, Venice, Bohemia, Poland and Ottomans, sometimes even the Serbian nations) - each of which oftentimes end up hating Hungary.

During the weekend I did the Krabater achievement starting as Hungary and forming Croatia as it. It took me a few tries because I needed to be able to ally Austria (in some starts they don't rival Hungary) to easily grab Dalmatia from Venice. It doesn't help that Hungary starts in a 0 0 0 regency council with an event firing that gives you either an average heir of 5 years, or a pretty good regent (with a weak heir) but downing relations with Austria. And of course the Hungarian land is not very rich (except for the capital and like 2 other provinces).

Hungary is a hilariously difficult start despite being so big in the beginning, and I'm not surprised the AI never succeeds with it.

Kabouter

Player ratings reverse ordered by when people will get to choose should they participate. Last will get to pick a country first, then second last etc. Should be everybody I think.
1. Jazz - 4.92 (No previous rating)
2. Mgoblue201 - 4.83 (4.46 last time)
3. Kabouter - 4.79 (3.69 last time)
4. crab - N/A (4.31 last time)
5. fanboi - 3.79 (3.69 last time)
6. Toma - 3.67 (4.31 last time)
6. Stefan - 3.67 (No previous rating)
8. Fitz - 3.5 (4.54 last time)
9. Uzzy - 3.46 (No previous rating)
10. haly - 3.42 (3.92 last time)
10. Roboleon - 3.42 (2.5 last time)
12. Morfeo - N/A (3.35 last time)
13. Gamma - 3.29 (No previous rating)
14. [Anyone not listed, including new players] - 3.00
15. ZZMitch - N/A (2.96 last time)
16. Jwitjes - 2.42 (2.83 last time)
17. Valhelm (if he actually shows up next time) - N/A (2.23 last time)
18. KingSnake - 2 (2.62 last time)
19. FACE (if he has better internet only :p) - N/A (1.79 last time)

In case of ties I sorted by highest previous rating available.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Player ratings reverse ordered by when people will get to choose should they participate. Last will get to pick a country first, then second last etc. Should be everybody I think.

Good, good, good.

Toma

Most underrated player tbh. (Well, after Fitz technically) Forming mega Russia as Novgorod is impressive, no matter what.

Never too low enough!

I need to make sure I stay far away from the players who rated me lowly this session, so they give me low ratings again :p

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Fair ratings for the most part! I think fitz and toma are the most underrated, which I'm assuming some people will discover next session :)

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Fair ratings for the most part! I think fitz and toma are the most underrated, which I'm assuming some people will discover next session :)

It would be unfair to do this now with it being post hoc, but before the next session I think we should do player rankings based on long-run averages - so their average ranking from the last 3 sessions determines what nation they can get. That way we might avoid wild swings.

If anything ratings should never be able to go down (unless a player was vastly overrated, which is of course an exception), since you can't get worse at the game.

Kabouter

If anything ratings should never be able to go down (unless a player was vastly overrated, which is of course an exception), since you can't get worse at the game.

What if you can't quite master a new add-on? But seriously, you can perform above your skill level in a certain game, like I did in the last one. There's no way I'm almost as good as Jazz or Mgo. I just colonized half my country without challenge. That's not exactly hard :p

What if you can't quite master a new add-on?

That is fair enough, though I don't think there's a mechanic in any of the add-ons that is so significant that it would make you play objectively worse. Except maybe colonial nations, but then you can opt to not play a colonizer.

Kabouter

FACE says he has proper internet now and that he will decide on the 25th whether or not to play, so we're not picking countries before then.

Valhelm

contribute something

If the schedule works out for me this semester, I could be interested. It was really difficult earlier because my classes were not fully worked-out by the time I signed up, but these days I have a pretty stable routine.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
We have a rule already that you can't start as a nation which is a vassal or PU directly or indirectly of another player, or the special case that you can't start as Lithuania if someone is Poland, so sadly we can't watch France get devoured by Armagnac.

Doesn't say so in the OP, but makes sense. I'm not sure yet which country I'll pick anyway. French vassal was just one possibility. ;)

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Doesn't say so in the OP, but makes sense. I'm not sure yet which country I'll pick anyway. French vassal was just one possibility. ;)

It was added after that set of rules after we had some Poland and Lithuania controversy, and I think fanboi just copy/pasted the original set.

I've only once seen France fail to get a good footing. In my Tuscany-Italy game they lost the 100 years war, AI Burgundy managed to connect North and South before 1500, event didn't trigger until about 1630, Castile ended up inheriting. France played the entire game with about 8 provinces, Auvergne ended up declarng independence, I scooped up Narbonne.

Poland is usually more erratic, and by the time the late game hits they're either Protestant, partitioned, or completely spineless so I usually dont bother with them.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
thanks for adding a poll! now I can find the thread in my subscriptions again

It's good to know on which side of things you are. :p
You should ally Fanboi.

I can't condone us Austrians mingling, sorry. ;)

In all seriousness, though, I wouldn't pick a French vassal even if it was allowed when a player picked France. Be aware, though, if you pick France, you're likely going to paint a target on your back for all the other Eurobabbies.
Or at the very least, I hope that is the case - to me, stopping France and a potential forming of Prussia always has to be a priority for mp games :p

Also, on another note, can I request to be the last of the rating 3 people to pick their country? This should vastly help my decision where I wanna settle in to (even though I'd prefer picking even later lol).

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Ming would be doomed. If you wanted to play Tibet, that'd be fine, as Taungu is so far the only nation that I'm looking at who's starts I can do reliably on my own.
Tibet isn't my first option, but I doubt I'll get the opportunity to play in Europe, not with so many players this time.

I've never seen a Ming at full size being westernized. They usually already collapsed by that time of the game, or they get carved up by Euros.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Holy Crap at the amount of new players on the spreadsheeeeeeeeeeeet

fanboi, you should order in player ratings

i fixed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom