• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europa Universalis IV MP Community Thread of Hotjoining for Glory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Well, I told you guys we might not get much done today :p
But at least it was somewhat stable at the end then.

2943090274.png

Kabouter might be more centrally located though.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
It was fun for what it was, and I'm looking forward to next time. So what happend in the game? Venice conquered Ragusa, Algiers and Burgundy got its ass kicked, and that was it?

Arghhh got the time wrong (added the hour when I should have subtracted it for CET)

There's always 1 ain't there... apologies

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I guess there's no point in report for today.

But a lot more things happened, more than in the SP game. I got immediately alliances from Bosnia and Serbia and I was about to get one with Austria too.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
2943090274.png

I dont think its the connection necessarily, but the host should definitely be there every time since we otherwise cant play. You'd be there every day?

Kabouter

2943090274.png

You definitely have a lower ping than me, if you're there every time and you have a fast PC, then by all means you host :)

Now, by who did Burgundy get their ass kicked, and Algiers? I could only see Mgo kicking ass, I can't see any other players, though I can see Toma's coastline.

elyetis

No one is recording the game / streaming it ?

I'm far too bad to participate but would love to see the game evolve.

Toma

No one is recording the game / streaming it ?

I'm far too bad to participate but would love to see the game evolve.

Streaming wouldnt make much sense either because its only a single country you'd see out of 13, but we'll do updates after each day to talk about what happened. And as Kabouter said, just try it! You dont need to necessarily fight other human players in the beginning and can ally with them to take on AI countries.

elyetis

There's no way you're worse than me, if you can make it, you should absolutely feel free to participate.
Never underestimate how bad I can be !

More seriously I might try if you guys do another game ( depending of how long you play during those sessions ), it wouldn't be worth it now since I won't be there for two weeks during the month.. thought I would probably have lost by the time I leave. ^ ^

Streaming wouldnt make much sense either because its only a single country you'd see out of 13, but we'll do updates after each day to talk about what happened. And as Kabouter said, just try it! You dont need to necessarily fight other human players in the beginning and can ally with them to take on AI countries.
Would still be fun, even more so if more than one player streamed it ! they do that for some Minecraft Ultra Hardcore challenge, it's quite fun to see the same events from different point of view.

But yeah summaries can be just as fun to read.

Toma

I accidentally picked the wrong nation, you'll be fine.

You did splendidly with them too!

Aaaah Granada, aaah Castile, aaaah why are there countries everywhere!
;)

FACE

Banned
You did splendidly with them too!

Aaaah Granada, aaah Castile, aaaah why are there countries everywhere!
;)

Don't forget that I was getting my ass handed to my by Tunisia(I think), a country with a much smaller army than mine.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
I enjoyed that quite a lot, once the game began. Hopefully the setup next time will be more seamless. I don't know why I couldn't find the right server.

You definitely have a lower ping than me, if you're there every time and you have a fast PC, then by all means you host :).
My computer is only a few months old and it's quite powerful. How does the multiplayer save system work? Do I need to manually save the game? Is there anything else I should think of while hosting? I'll shut down my torrent client.

Now, by who did Burgundy get their ass kicked, and Algiers? I could only see Mgo kicking ass, I can't see any other players, though I can see Toma's coastline.
Burgundy was attacked by Austria (and maybe Switzerland?). Savoy allied with most of the northern Italian states and was about to annex Milan.

Kabouter

My computer is only a few months old and it's quite powerful. How does the multiplayer save system work? Do I need to manually save the game? Is there anything else I should think of while hosting? I'll shut down my torrent client.
I'm pretty sure it autosaves, probably turn off cloud saving for the occasion and make it autosave frequently. Other than that, make sure to turn hotjoin on and we're good I think.

Manik

I enjoyed that quite a lot, once the game began. Hopefully the setup next time will be more seamless. I don't know why I couldn't find the right server.

I had similar issues to you when I was trying to join the game. It kept saying that it couldn't be found, and was nowhere to be seen in he server. Perseverance seemed to be the motto, and once I'd gotten in the first time it let me join on subsequent attempts. Very strange. Using the steam server browser to join a game, rather than through the game, seemed to help.

As for the actual MP - It was great fun when it worked. I buttered up Lithuania enough to tempt them into a personal union, which offers a bit of protection and I was all for eyeing up the pesky Teutonic Knights, but they'd gone and allied themselves with Hungary which was giving me second thoughts.

Looking forward to Thursday!

Also, if whoever hosts realises they're not going to be there, then can they just email the save over to someone that will be there? If we're all on each other's Steam friends list, then that should be workable.

fanboi

Banned
I as Burgundy, missed that Austria was in the war when I declared against Utrecht (there was a a lot of smaller nations and Brandenburg).

I believe that I could have won the war after the initial demolish from Austria forces...

Anyhow, redo game on Thursday right? Since it was corrupt?

Manik

Agreed. Given the server / save problems and wayward country selection (Algiers ;) ) we're better off just starting from scratch.

More seriously I might try if you guys do another game ( depending of how long you play during those sessions ), it wouldn't be worth it now since I won't be there for two weeks during the month.. thought I would probably have lost by the time I leave. ^ ^
If you pick a country in the Middle East, Africa or the Americas then you will probably be completely unaffected by the other human players in the beginning.

Toma

:(. It's so hard to do well as Ming, the penalties you get are just...lol. Hope it goes as well the next time.
Maybe I should go east after all to ... ease your pain.

For our session tomorrow.

Server name: GAFEUMP
Password: (quote to see)

10:45 PM CET: I'll hang out in the group chat room.
10:50 PM CET: I'll start hosting the multiplayer game.
11:01 PM CET: We'll begin playing. I'll leave it on paused for a couple minutes and then increase the speed to 2/5.

Kabouter

Might be better to start hosting a little earlier than that, so that any problems connecting like Mgo had yesterday don't lead to delays before starting/several hotjoins.

Toma

Might be better to start hosting a little earlier than that, so that any problems connecting like Mgo had yesterday don't lead to delays before starting/several hotjoins.

Yup, hosting at 10:50 would have been my choice as well.

We were all kicked out when we idled in the menu so I wouldn't be surprised if there is an automatic time-out.

Edit: 10:50 is fine, but then we might need to start 10:59:59.

Toma

So who is up for tonight also so we get it going?

I just want to game dont hate

Play some SP :p I am currently still trying to "win" the game with France. The Ottomans make a crazy amount of points.

Morfeo

So who is up for tonight also so we get it going?

I just want to game dont hate

I am so ready for this!

Also, I know this was decided before I joined and we cant satisfy everybody, but saturday is a really poor day for me - sunday would have been a much better choice imo, just thought that if maybe more people felt the same way we could consider changing it.

Toma

I am so ready for this!

Also, I know this was decided before I joined and we cant satisfy everybody, but saturday is a really poor day for me - sunday would have been a much better choice imo, just thought that if maybe more people felt the same way we could consider changing it.

Well talking to everyone might take a while, but feel free to ask everyone in the Steam group and collect the results. I wouldnt mind sunday, but I dont think everyone reads every post in this thread.

Morfeo

So its positive for now. I will raise this in the chat tomorrow and see if anybody objects, if not, I suggest we make sunday our third day instead of saturday.

Morfeo

So I tried to play a bit in single player, and got to the ideas lol, this is definitely something new and extremely difficult to decide, any consensus on what ideas are better for a particular type of player?

Also, I just dont get the trade system. Collecting trade is fine, but this transfering of trade stuff? If I start out without a Trade Center/Nod, will my transfering of power from another nod simply strengthen the trade center my provinces are a part of so that my collector can collect a bit more?

So I tried to play a bit in single player, and got to the ideas lol, this is definitely something new and extremely difficult to decide, any consensus on what ideas are better for a particular type of player?

I find religious ideas very powerful and useful especially if you're planning to go Protestant / Reformed. Other than that I like Defensive Ideas a lot because of army tradition and leader siege buffs. I wish innovative gave more of a tech boost tho :(

Also, I just dont get the trade system. Collecting trade is fine, but this transfering of trade stuff? If I start out without a Trade Center/Nod, will my transfering of power from another nod simply strengthen the trade center my provinces are a part of so that my collector can collect a bit more?

I think the idea is that your collection is based on how much "trade power" you have at a given node. So it's sometimes better to divert more power to a node you have high power and are collecting in than it is to collect at a remote destination you have little power in. But I don't fully know how it works yet, I still haven't got around to reading that guide.

Manik

I'm usually out on a Sunday evening until around about 10:30pm (BST) (11:30pm CET). If the consenus is that Sunday is better for everyone else, though, I don't mind just hotjoining once I get back, for the second half.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom