• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europa Universalis IV MP Community Thread of Hotjoining for Glory

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I might arrive home a little late today. I have the laptop with me, but I don't know if the game holds over the mobile broadband. Anyway, if I'm not there, don't wait for me, I will hotjoining later. Hopefully I will still have a country by then. If not I will crazily go for Inca.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Toniiiiight I'm gonna have myself a real good time.
I feel alive and the east I'll turn it inside out - yeah.
:p

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I find religious ideas very powerful and useful especially if you're planning to go Protestant / Reformed. Other than that I like Defensive Ideas a lot because of army tradition and leader siege buffs. I wish innovative gave more of a tech boost tho :(

I think the idea is that your collection is based on how much "trade power" you have at a given node. So it's sometimes better to divert more power to a node you have high power and are collecting in than it is to collect at a remote destination you have little power in. But I don't fully know how it works yet, I still haven't got around to reading that guide.

Thanks a lot!

Thanks, I will try to watch this before we play today!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Would you even need it now though after 60+ hours in EU4?

Well, I did not know about the regional effects for the battles after 100 hours.. And I am still not sure how the % of forests etc affects that.

Fitz

Well, I did not know about the regional effects for the battles after 100 hours.. And I am still not sure how the % of forests etc affects that.

The % is simply the chance that that type of terrain will be selected when a battle happens in that province, as thus the negative roll modifier that the attacker gets during a battle.

Toma

The % is simply the chance that that type of terrain will be selected when a battle happens in that province, as thus the negative roll modifier that the attacker gets during a battle.

Okay, so what are the negative modifiers for each terrain?

Morfeo

Wow, you really learn something new about this game every day!

So I am having a girl over from another town this evening, she will stay over at my place, so I was thinking about not playing tonight and spend the time with her instead - but then I came to my senses and decided that she will have to accept to wait for her turn - no girl is more important than an awesome EU4-multiplayer!

Toma

So I am having a girl over from another town this evening, she will stay over at my place, so I was thinking about not playing tonight and spend the time with her instead - but then I came to my senses and decided that she will have to accept to wait for her turn - no girl is more important than an awesome EU4-multiplayer!

Thats the spirit. Who knows what some big red people might do to helpless, poor Savoy if you werent there :p

Things could go south quickly!

Try to get her into the game but if that doesn't work she can just sit on your lap while you play or something.

Morfeo

Thats the spirit. Who knows what some big red people might do to helpless, poor Savoy if you werent there :p

Things could go south quickly!

This is the truth! Who would be able to secure the peace in Italy if I wasnt there to steer us in the right direction!

Try to get her into the game but if that doesn't work she can just sit on your lap while you play or something.

I definitely prefer having her on my lap than learning her how to play :) So now you already know whats going on if Savoy does some unconcentrated moved during tonights session!

Anyways, I have another question, is there a reason not to leave the empire? I saw that there was a bonus or staying in the empire, but that bonus disappeared after a while, why is that? I was figuring it might be because there were not enough princes left, could that be it?

Edit: And one more question - how can I change into a republic as a monachy?

Fitz

Okay, so what are the negative modifiers for each terrain?

I'm not 100% on them exactly, during a battle you can see what negative modifier the attacking army is getting (if anything), it will be a river icon with a negative number by it next to the dice rolls. The ones I can remember are -1 for a river crossing, then -3 for mountains and -2 for hills I think.

Anyways, I have another question, is there a reason not to leave the empire? I saw that there was a bonus or staying in the empire, but that bonus disappeared after a while, why is that? I was figuring it might be because there were not enough princes left, could that be it?

The initial bonus for being in the empire only applies if there are enough members, 24/25 I think? After that, not much reason to stay in unless you need the Emperors protection.

Edit: And one more question - how can I change into a republic as a monachy?

The easiest way is to get the Diplomacy idea Revolution and Counter Revolution which gives you a CB on nations of the other government type, then declare war on a republic and one of the surrender options should be for you to swap government type. The harder option is to let the appropriate rebel type enforce their demands I think.

Morfeo

I'm not 100% on them exactly, during a battle you can see what negative modifier the attacking army is getting (if anything), it will be a river icon with a negative number by it next to the dice rolls. The ones I can remember are -1 for a river crossing, then -3 for mountains and -2 for hills I think.

The initial bonus for being in the empire only applies if there are enough members, 24/25 I think? After that, not much reason to stay in unless you need the Emperors protection.

The easiest way is to get the Diplomacy idea Revolution and Counter Revolution which gives you a CB on nations of the other government type, then declare war on a republic and one of the surrender options should be for you to swap government type. The harder option is to let the appropriate rebel type enforce their demands I think.

Thanks, so no way to simply change it then.

A new question here, when protecting trade with light ships - how many is ideal to use? And that it even matter how many you use (as long as you are in peace)?

Toma

30 minutes! Prepare your soldiers, gentlemen.

Toma

Last minute call! Is it too late to join the fun?

...a country that is possibly not next to another one. Make 5 suggestions of countries you'd like to play if possible.

Fitz

Tonight was good! Naples achieved freedom from the evil Aragonese overlords, Neapolitan ice cream for all!

300px-Neapolitan.jpg

Here is the world map after our first session. It's the year 1452.

My first few years weren't that eventful. I annexed Ragusa, got an extra merchant from an event, upgraded the first technology in each category, and picked my first idea (Trade).

Morfeo

So what happend around the word today? This is what I got:

Naples broke free from Aragon and conquered Messina and Urbino
Venice conquered Ragusa
Novgorord took Tver
Burgundy took Calais, Picardie and was about to take Bar and maybe more from Provence
I (as Savoy) got stuck in an endless war with Castille over Liguria - still open how that goes.

Anything else?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, Tver annexed! If Denmark fucks off, I'll make inroads into the Livonian Order to set myself up for the inevitable Novgorod-Muscowy throw down. There was also an (extremely) brief Civil War where an almighty 2 peasant armies decided to siege a northern colony (no, I don't know, either). In return for crushing them I got +2 base tax. Yay! More Civil Wars, please! I also held an election, because my ruler died, and chose the 1/4/1. No particular reason, just DIP/ADM leaders tend to be much better than MIL, so picked one from those two. Sweden, Muscowy, Denmark, the Livonian Order and Norway have all picked me as rivals. Not really sure about Norway - I could crush them but frankly I don't even want Norway. It's cold and unpleasant and I'd have to defend against invading Swedes.

EDIT: Also, I haven't teched yet. :( The joys of being Eastern and a republic with a new leader.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I can't start a damn war because the Ottomans warned me. I have to wait for one of my allies to do that.

My most eventful moment with Hedjaz was when I managed to ally with the Ottomans, freeing me to do some warring with my neighbours without worrying too much about the Mamluk's breath on my neck.

Morfeo

My most eventful moment with Hedjaz was when I managed to ally with the Ottomans, freeing me to do some warring with my neighbours without worrying too much about the Mamluk's breath on my neck.

Yeah, you declared on Yemen right? How did that go?

Toma

So what happend around the word today? This is what I got:

Naples broke free from Aragon and conquered Messina and Urbino
Venice conquered Ragusa
Novgorord took Tver
Burgundy took Calais, Picardie and was about to take Bar and maybe more from Provence
I (as Savoy) got stuck in an endless war with Castille over Liguria - still open how that goes.

Anything else?

Castile is currently winning a war against Aragon (in the absence of the player)
Scotland is fighting a war against England, but open still.
Vijayanagar annexed Malabar, Kochin, Venad, Cylon and vassalized Ahmadnagar
Ming annexed a few provinces in Manchu and Korea.
Poland vassalized the Teutonic Order
Georgia lost a war and is basically dead (Player will pick another nation next time)
Hosokawa annexed 4-5 other japanese provinces.
Wallachia didnt do anything.

Morfeo

Castile is currently winning a war against Aragon (in the absence of the player)
Scotland is fighting a war against England, but open still.
Vijayanagar annexed Malabar, Kochin, Venad, Cylon and vassalized Ahmadnagar
Ming annexed a few provinces in Manchu and Korea.
Poland vassalized the Teutonic Order
Georgia lost a war and is basically dead (Player will pick another nation next time)
Hosokawa annexed 4-5 other japanese provinces.
Wallachia didnt do anything.

Yeah that war between Castille and Aragon is the same war I am in - on the aragonese side. I am the leader of it though, which is why the war is still going on I guess.

Toma

If it's any consolation, the AI was doing a decent job. I reckon Scotland is slightly ahead in that one.

However the AI did that.

Morfeo

Can not sleep after this lol, only thinking about what to do going forward. A tricky nation to play, Savoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom