• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europa Universalis IV MP Community Thread of Hotjoining for Glory

Status
Not open for further replies.

fanboi

Banned
For new page:

I have also created a Google Docs for you all to fill in, will be easier then!

Quote to see URL to doc.

I have also added some of you, please check if you are added then change on that line.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Are we going to set up some potential rules for when we get to human vs. human conflicts? Our multiplayer session sort of died last time because Cazz got gulped up in basically just two wars and the comradery sort of died. It might not be a bad idea to set some house rules up.

fanboi

Banned
Are we going to set up some potential rules for when we get to human vs. human conflicts? Our multiplayer session sort of died last time because Cazz got gulped up in basically just two wars and the comradery sort of died. It might not be a bad idea to set some house rules up.

I am all for this.

Anyone have any suggestions?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
1. No Kills
Player nations may not be annexed, only vassalized. If it would cost less than 100% war-score to vassalize another player, provinces may no longer be demanded from them.

2. Restricted Exploits
Players may not sell provinces to another player unless the latter has the ability to core that province or already has a core on that province, and has discovered it. Players may not make other players protectorates. Players may not move their capital to an overseas province.

3. Justified Demands
Players may not demand provinces from another player or player’s subject unless they are cores, claims, same culture-group, colonial, same religion-group held by a heathen, same religion held by a heretic, or are otherwise subject to war goal modifiers on aggressive expansion, cost or prestige.

4. Complete Negotiation
Any players involved in a player vs. player war (any war in which both war-leaders are players) must tick the "Allow leader to negotiate" box.

5. Total Concession
In a player vs. player war, the losing side may agree by consent from all participants on the losing side to offer total concession to the winner. If they do, the winning side must name by consent from all participants on the winning side demands which would sum to less than 100% war-score [this may not be precisely possible, if for example the winning side names a province which he has not yet sieged fully and thus does not know the war-score for. Reasonable approximations are accepted], and which have a diplomatic point cost affordable to the winning side. If those demands can be met, they must be met immediately, and the winning side must accept immediately. Alliances and coalitions may not declare separate wars to circumvent this 100% cap.

6. Dictated Concession
In a player vs. player war, if the winning side maximizes the war-goal war-score bonus at +25%, or has a total war-score of +50%, they may dictate by consent demands which would sum to less than the current war-score and may currently be met, and which have a diplomatic cost they can afford. These demands must be met immediately.

7. Limited Alliance
Players may not have more than guarantee, ally, or be guaranteed by more than 1 other player nation prior to 1500, 2 other prior to 1600, or 3 others prior to 1750. A coalition may not have more than 3 player nations prior to 1500, 4 player nations prior to 1600, or 5 player nations prior to 1750.

These are obviously just war/peace rules, and don't extend to stuff like "don't deliberately wreck your nation", "be nice", etc. What do people think?

fanboi

Banned
That sounds good Crab, from my PoV.

The problem in prev games was that no PvP wars happen, and when it did happen the looser would just prolong the war.

Let see what the more experienced players have to say, compared to me :)

Manik

Think I might be ready to jump into another MP game of this, if there are still spaces going.

Will add my preferences to the GoogleDoc :)

Kabouter

Yeah, definitely a colonial nation for me given that all the majors are pretty much taken. I'll just grab whatever colonial nation first pops up in the Eastern America colonial region, and observe until that happens.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I've quickly whipped up this map. Grey indicates that a nation is within the Fabricate Claim range of a nation someone has already chosen to play; and I'm guessing most people would prefer that so they can establish their own theatre of war against the AI and build up to player vs. player stuff. Bold lines indicates nation already chosen. The rest are non-chosen and in their own theatre of war. I took the slight liberty of putting ZZMitch as Venice - he chose an Italian power, and Naples is in range of Ottomans and the rest in range of Aragon, Venice being the only non-OPM/2PM that isn't. If you want to be Ferrara/Mantua/Urbino, ZZMitch, just let me know.

EDIT: Obviously, Europe only. Rest of the world is still completely up for grabs.

byax1fM.png

Kabouter, FACE, Haly, CloudWolf, Toma and Manik still have yet to make a choice.

Yeah, definitely a colonial nation for me given that all the majors are pretty much taken. I'll just grab whatever colonial nation first pops up in the Eastern America colonial region, and observe until that happens.

You could still be Brandenburg or Sweden - they're both very forgiving.

Kabouter

I've quickly whipped up this map. Grey indicates that a nation is within the Fabricate Claim range of a nation someone has already chosen to play; and I'm guessing most people would prefer that so they can establish their own theatre of war against the AI and build up to player vs. player stuff. Bold lines indicates nation already chosen. The rest are non-chosen and in their own theatre of war. I took the slight liberty of putting ZZMitch as Venice - he chose an Italian power, and Naples is in range of Ottomans and the rest in range of Aragon, Venice being the only non-OPM/2PM that isn't. If you want to be Ferrara/Mantua/Urbino, ZZMitch, just let me know.

byax1fM.png

Kabouter, FACE, Haly, CloudWolf, Toma and Manik still have yet to make a choice.

You could still be Brandenburg or Sweden - they're both very forgiving.

Also very Poland and Muscovy adjacent respectively. Brandenburg in particular would be a dreadful choice given that the much stronger and unioned up Poland gets a mission to vassalize the Teutonic Order, whereas you need their provinces to form Prussia and even have a core on one of their provinces.
So yeah, it'd have to be a non-European and non-Muslim tech nation (since those are going to fall to the Iberians and Ottomans). I'd be the weakest nation in the game by a country mile and the bitch of whichever European superpower got to me first. On top of that, I'd be completely isolated from all other players and would essentially be playing single-player right up until the point that people came to conquer my shit.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Also very Poland and Muscovy adjacent respectively. Brandenburg in particular would be a dreadful choice given that the much stronger and unioned up Poland gets a mission to vassalize the Teutonic Order, whereas you need their provinces to form Prussia and even have a core on one of their provinces.
So yeah, it'd have to be a non-European and non-Muslim tech nation (since those are going to fall to the Iberians and Ottomans). I'd be the weakest nation in the game by a country mile and the bitch of whichever European superpower got to me first. On top of that, I'd be completely isolated from all other players and would essentially be playing single-player right up until the point that people came to conquer my shit.

Why not the Timurids? They're one of the best nations in the game, those NIs are absolutely crazy, and they have the opportunity to interact with the Ottomans, Muscowy and Poland without necessarily falling into their immediate path of conquest.

ZZMitch

I've quickly whipped up this map. Grey indicates that a nation is within the Fabricate Claim range of a nation someone has already chosen to play; and I'm guessing most people would prefer that so they can establish their own theatre of war against the AI and build up to player vs. player stuff. Bold lines indicates nation already chosen. The rest are non-chosen and in their own theatre of war. I took the slight liberty of putting ZZMitch as Venice - he chose an Italian power, and Naples is in range of Ottomans and the rest in range of Aragon, Venice being the only non-OPM/2PM that isn't. If you want to be Ferrara/Mantua/Urbino, ZZMitch, just let me know..

Venice works for me! Kind of ironic considering what happened in the last EU4 MP game I played in with GAF heh.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Cazz/Manik joins as Sweden, and haly as Crimea.

faAv8QM.png

Brandenburg and the Hansa are both still very strong potential choices. Aside from them, Brittany, Hesse, the Palatinate and Bavaria are the remaining European nations with at least 3 provinces. Just waiting on Toma, CloudWolf, and FACE.

Kabouter

Why not the Timurids? They're one of the best nations in the game, those NIs are absolutely crazy, and they have the opportunity to interact with the Ottomans, Muscowy and Poland without necessarily falling into their immediate path of conquest.

Knowing how poorly I did in my previous games, and that rebels have been made stronger, I'll likely break apart in the first few years.

Fitz

The Germany region is going to be a lightning free-for-all with no players in there. Especially with no chance for a Burgundian inheritance (as they're player controlled) meaning weaker Austria/Emperor.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
The Germany region is going to be a lightning free-for-all with no players in there. Especially with no chance for a Burgundian inheritance (as they're player controlled) meaning weaker Austria/Emperor.

Yup. No Denmark either. Really hope someone picks the Hansa or Brandenburg, because Aragon's too far away to join in the free for all. :p

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Knowing how poorly I did in my previous games, and that rebels have been made stronger, I'll likely break apart in the first few years.

Nah, if you're worried about rebels you just release Persia as a vassal and use their forces as a slave army, then reintegrate when you're happy with your conquest.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Kab, you can play in a hotter area (like Hungary, Provence or Savoy) until you can rule the United Kilts of Scotland to the top of the world.

ZZMitch

I would play a country like Bavaria if someone else wants to play an Italian nation. I think it is important to have someone in Germany if at all possible.

Kabouter

I would play a country like Bavaria if someone else wants to play an Italian nation. I think it is important to have someone in Germany if at all possible.
There's going to be loads of people in Germany, they're just moving in from all sides rather than starting there.

ZZMitch

Not fun for the player starting in Germany :p

Very true! But I am willing to take that position if someone else wants to get into the European action but cannot because there is no space.

I, for one, think it might be fun to try to play "in the center". Also I wouldn't have to deal with boats heh.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Very true! But I am willing to take that position if someone else wants to get into the European action but cannot because there is no space.

I, for one, think it might be fun to try to play "in the center". Also I wouldn't have to deal with boats heh.

Why Bavaria, though? The Hansa and Brandenburg are way stronger. Even the Palatinate is somewhat better, as it is an elector.

ZZMitch

Why Bavaria, though? The Hansa and Brandenburg are way stronger. Even the Palatinate is somewhat better, as it is an elector.

I would play any of those! Which ever you guys think was best. Id also just keep playing Venice if people want Germany free of players.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Gelre is my tentative choice, I just need to look over which of my Netherlandic cores overlap with Burgandy.

EDIT: Nevermind Burgandy is MGO, NOPE.

fanboi

Banned
1. No Kills
Player nations may not be annexed, only vassalized. If it would cost less than 100% war-score to vassalize another player, provinces may no longer be demanded from them.

2. Restricted Exploits
Players may not sell provinces to another player unless the latter has the ability to core that province or already has a core on that province, and has discovered it. Players may not make other players protectorates. Players may not move their capital to an overseas province.

3. Justified Demands
Players may not demand provinces from another player or player’s subject unless they are cores, claims, same culture-group, colonial, same religion-group held by a heathen, same religion held by a heretic, or are otherwise subject to war goal modifiers on aggressive expansion, cost or prestige.

4. Complete Negotiation
Any players involved in a player vs. player war (any war in which both war-leaders are players) must tick the "Allow leader to negotiate" box.

5. Total Concession
In a player vs. player war, the losing side may agree by consent from all participants on the losing side to offer total concession to the winner. If they do, the winning side must name by consent from all participants on the winning side demands which would sum to less than 100% war-score [this may not be precisely possible, if for example the winning side names a province which he has not yet sieged fully and thus does not know the war-score for. Reasonable approximations are accepted], and which have a diplomatic point cost affordable to the winning side. If those demands can be met, they must be met immediately, and the winning side must accept immediately. Alliances and coalitions may not declare separate wars to circumvent this 100% cap.

6. Dictated Concession
In a player vs. player war, if the winning side maximizes the war-goal war-score bonus at +25%, or has a total war-score of +50%, they may dictate by consent demands which would sum to less than the current war-score and may currently be met, and which have a diplomatic cost they can afford. These demands must be met immediately.

7. Limited Alliance
Players may not have more than guarantee, ally, or be guaranteed by more than 1 other player nation prior to 1500, 2 other prior to 1600, or 3 others prior to 1750. A coalition may not have more than 3 player nations prior to 1500, 4 player nations prior to 1600, or 5 player nations prior to 1750.

Dont forget to discuss above proposed rules, since I feel we need them to have a good PvP centered game I feel.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Bavaria and Bohemia are sorely underrepresented in multiplayer games. I would probably choose Bohemia myself if it wasn't for Burgundy.

Fitz

Dont forget to discuss above proposed rules, since I feel we need them to have a good PvP centered game I feel.

I had mixed feelings about the rules, but I think they're fine. The first game we played, people were heavily avoiding PvP until the end unless they had little other choice. Don't want people to shy away from PvP, but also want to encourage fair play and avoid anything gamey.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Bohemia would be bordering mleugie, so someone going for Bohemia should probably ask permission. Bavaria is fair game, though.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I had mixed feelings about the rules, but I think they're fine. The first game we played, people were heavily avoiding PvP until the end unless they had little other choice. Don't want people to shy away from PvP, but also want to encourage fair play and avoid anything gamey.

What caused the mixed feelings? I've not played multiplayer in months, so I can't really judge how restrictive/non-restrictive they are relatively.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

Do you have all the DLC, Kab? The unit packs/music shouldn't matter, but you should probably have Conquest of Paradise, Wealth of Nations, Res Publica, Purple Phoenix and Star and Crescent. American Dream is really buggy and is basically incompatible with CoP, so we probably shouldn't have both on at the same time.

fanboi

Banned
Do you have all the DLC, Kab? The unit packs/music shouldn't matter, but you should probably have Conquest of Paradise, Wealth of Nations, Res Publica, Purple Phoenix and Star and Crescent. American Dream is really buggy and is basically incompatible with CoP, so we probably shouldn't have both on at the same time.

I will guess, since he is a beta player for Paradox, that he does :)

FACE

Banned
I'd like to suggest a new rule: Fanboi isn't allowed to start wars against France and drag naíve new players along :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom