• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europa Universalis IV MP Community Thread of Hotjoining for Glory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kabouter

I think I will try some hardcore game too, maybe the Wallachian count.

Oh for me it's not about trying a 'hardcore' game, it's about not wanting to play something that is too overwhelming because I essentially don't know how to play CK2 properly. I played a decent-ish amount of it when it came out, but was never that into it and thus never got very good at it, plus it's been forever since it came out, and patches/DLC tend to change things quite a lot in Paradox games.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Oh for me it's not about trying a 'hardcore' game, it's about not wanting to play something that is too overwhelming because I essentially don't know how to play CK2 properly. I played a decent-ish amount of it when it came out, but was never that into it and thus never got very good at it, plus it's been forever since it came out, and patches/DLC tend to change things quite a lot in Paradox games.

Yeah, the last patch that made the mercenaries way too expensive for a count really messed my hardcore game.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
So guys, I dont really know what will happen with the CK2-game, but I have decided anyways, to leave luck to heaven and let the AI take over Russia from now on. Good luck if you guys continue, and I will definitely return for our next game, no matter which game it will be.

Was fun as always!

Kabouter

So guys, I dont really know what will happen with the CK2-game, but I have decided anyways, to leave luck to heaven and let the AI take over Russia from now on. Good luck if you guys continue, and I will definitely return for our next game, no matter which game it will be.

Was fun as always!
Awww man :(
You can't stick around for one or two more sessions? Because if not, we might as well quit now, not much fun in continuing if people are quitting already. Would distort the final results anyway.

fanboi

Banned
I guess not, no.

245063794_5ab866053b.jpg

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Good, I'm going to focus on the Champions League game tonight.
Kab, are you going to post some stats/facts from the save file?

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Sorry didnt check this in a few hours. If there is no game because I am not joining, then I will definitely join. Sorry I am late saying that, but definitely dont want to ruin the game for you guys after all the fun we have had togheter.

Kabouter

Save game: http://dropcanvas.com/ascos

World map March 3rd 1716 (last game ran until July 2nd 1733)

Stats just apply to players (including Haly for score/income/tech) because I can't access the ledger and I don't feel like checking every nation in the world :p

Score
1. Great Britain 8648
2. The Mamluks 8001
3. Scandinavia 5070
4. Russia 4125
5. France 3957
6. Portugal 3769
8. Venice 3315
200. Gelre 0

Income
1. Great Britain 783.14
2. The Mamluks 650.94
3. Portugal 289.28
4. Russia 266.71
5. Scandinavia 222.0
6. France 181.54
7. Venice 85.78

Technology
1. The Mamluks 75
2. Scandinavia 73
3. Great Britain 72
4. France 71
5. Venice 71
6. Russia 68
7. Portugal 64

Maximum Manpower
1. The Mamluks 493k
2. Russia 385k
3. Great Britain 362k
4. France 359k
5. Scandinavia 270k
6. Portugal 90k

Armies (Force Limit)
1. Great Britain 589k (538k)
2. The Mamluks 314k (286k)
3. Russia 308k (461k)
4. France 262k (262k)
5. Portugal 137k (102k)
6. Scandinavia 120k (107k)

Navies (Force Limit)
1. Great Britain 531 (507)
2. The Mamluks 327 (289)
3. Portugal 215 (151)
4. Scandinavia 125 (162)
5. France 83 (105)
6. Russia 65 (64)

I <3 stock exchanges and feeding cash to colonial nations early on.

ZZMitch

Somehow 3rd in points. Oh, Paradox. :p

Fun game everyone! I really enjoyed my first multiplayer experience. You guys keep borders much prettier than AI nations (for the most part :p).

*shakes fist at Canuckistan and Co.*

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
I unified Islam in the single player mode and...it's nothing. Not even a popup. I expected something a little more momentous. But that small issue aside, I had a lot of fun this game. It went much better, I think, than the last.

Kabouter

I unified Islam in the single player mode and...it's nothing. Not even a popup. I expected something a little more momentous. But that small issue aside, I had a lot of fun this game. It went much better, I think, than the last.

Everyone lasted until (nearly) the end and we had relatively few network issues, so I would say yeah, much better than the first game for sure.

Definitely had lots of fun after a very rough start, probably should've chosen a nation more in line with my skills from the start rather than stubbornly trying to succeed as Gelre. Looking forward to any future EU4 game organized here :).

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
First game was much more tense for me, this one was quite relaxed. Once I started colonizing and France jumped to help me against Spain it was all fine until MGO decided he wants to unify Islam. I stil have the issue that I end up under-tech in the MP game, I don't know why, while in the SP games I always end up paying the "ahead of time" penalties.
And too bad that I didn't get to the other two continents too.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
You cored Morocco. They have a +100% coring cost penalty.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
That's true. And I has 2 diplo ideas filled up quite fast. But still, I had advisors throught the game and I should have been way up in military.

Haly

I noticed you had a shitload of heavy ships. This tells me that you weren't optimizing your trade routes. Heavy ships are useless unless you plan to initiate or expect naval warfare. They are also very costly. Considering Portugal's position as a trade/colonial power, you were missing out on most of your income growth, meaning weaker advisors, meaning slower tech.

In contrast, kab was expanding through trade, colonies and provinces and could probably afford +3 advisors for most the game.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I had heavy ships specially for MGO, it was practically my only defense against him, but the AI twice destroyed them so it was useless in the end. I had also a lot of light ships, but indeed I didn't optimize the trade to the max. I was too much focused on what was happening in Europe.

Haly

That was late in the game when you were already behind. I'm talking about earlier.

EU4 is a game of compounding advantages. You invested too much early income into heavy ships and not enough towards expansion, either internal or external.

Kabouter

Yeah, I ensured that I dominated trade coming out of the new world. Only for a brief stint did ZZ siphon off some of it via the North Sea node before I locked that down again as well. That said, as far as trade goes I have a major advantage over Portugal. The British Isles have barely any landlocked provinces, and I got coastal Dutch and German provinces really quickly, so my naval force limit quickly rose to a very comfortable position, likely well above KingSnake's. I was also able to expand far more in Europe than KingSnake was, boosting my income from taxation and production without immediately running into distant overseas penalties like he would have run into with Morocco. And then obviously, the money I gained from all that I immediately re-invested in more trade ships, more cash generating buildings and in my colonies by sending them large lump-sum gifts.

fanboi

Banned
That was late in the game when you were already behind. I'm talking about earlier.

EU4 is a game of compounding advantages. You invested too much early income into heavy ships and not enough towards expansion, either internal or external.

Yeah... Like that one time where all your provinces had a blue flag instead of yours... :p

Haly

You're just going to bait me into a Crusade aren't in the CK2 multi aren't you.

Well, I'm game. I'll show you the way of the Old Gods.

fanboi

Banned
So guys we are looking into starting up a EU4 MP again (and we have all decided to end the current CK2 game).

Please type here if you would like to participate and which game time would be the best. We are looking into doing two sessions two hours each.

Fitz

Definitely up for some EU! Much better multiplayer, also dibs on Muscovy, want to start with a greater power this time, not starting in a PU again.

Time wise, I'm flexible, pretty much any block of time will be good. Ideally 2 x 2 hour sessions a week though, as last time with CK.

Haly

I'll play, any time is fine for me. I have no restrictions.

Kabouter

I might join. 21:00 - 23:00 CEST is best for me.

If I do join, I want a nation that will lead to me not being humiliated like with Ming and Gelre.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
My only concern is that what with The Art of War currently under production, we might be better served waiting until it releases. Paradox DLCs do have a habit of up-ending the table.

Mgoblue201

My only concern is that what with The Art of War currently under production, we might be better served waiting until it releases. Paradox DLCs do have a habit of up-ending the table.
I brought that up with fanboi (the added provinces alone will probably render the old saves unplayable), but our last multiplayer game only lasted two months, and if a new game lasts that long we should be able to finish before the DLC releases. At the very least, we could keep playing with 1.7. The only other option is to wait two or three months for Art of War to come out, and that seems like a stretch.

fanboi

Banned
I brought that up with fanboi (the added provinces alone will probably render the old saves unplayable), but our last multiplayer game only lasted two months, and if a new game lasts that long we should be able to finish before the DLC releases. At the very least, we could keep playing with 1.7. The only other option is to wait two or three months for Art of War to come out, and that seems like a stretch.

Yeah, hence why we also chose to end the ck2 game to be able to start this one as soon as possible.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I can do pretty much any time of the week, but may need to renegotiate in about 2 months if we make it that far. Dibs on Aragon or Savoy.

Necrovex

This looks to be the best place to ask this question. I bought EU IV during the summer sale, and I was overwhelmed when I first tried this game. Never touched the franchise prior. Does anyone have a go-to video for me to learn the basics of this title?

CloudWolf

I'll join, if only to watch seriously skilled players blobbing like crazy, because my biggest accomplishment so far is owning the entire Italian peninsula.

As for timeslots, 21:00 - 23:00 CEST is great for me and I''d rather not play on tuesdays and thursdays. That's it.

This looks to be the best place to ask this question. I bought EU IV during the summer sale, and I was overwhelmed when I first tried this game. Never touched the franchise prior. Does anyone have a go-to video for me to learn the basics of this title?

You can check out the YouTube channel of Arumba, he probably has a great tutorial lying around and if not, you could always watch his Let's Plays to learn stuff about the game.

zer0das

Banned
I'll play. I'm on central standard time, but anywhere between 4 pm-midnight CEST should work for me. The day doesn't matter too much either.

I'd prefer to play as the Ottomans or Timurids probably.

ZZMitch

I can play. Most days are pretty good, except for Friday. I will have classes so it will be better for others to recommend times and I can see if they work with my class schedule.

Mgoblue201

So far it seems like no one has a problem with the weekends. Would it be better to play on Saturday and Sunday instead?

fanboi

Banned
I have also created a Google Docs for you all to fill in, will be easier then!

Quote to see URL to doc.

I have also added some of you, please check if you are added then change on that line.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Woop! I am back for another round as well! (If my schedule allows it).

The spirit of the great Vijayanagar will be reborn as a european nation :p

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I may or may not have edited FACE's preferred nation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom