• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europa Universalis IV |OT| A Game of Blobs

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Finished my Oman game, was definitely hoping for more when I started it, but I suppose it'll do:

Kinda funky to see that europe more or less stayed intact and France splurged all over africa.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Also, for some reason I find France rather hard to play as. Nobody wants to ally with you and you are in danger of being attacked by everyone. Playing Muscovy seemed way easier and equally powerful.

Kabouter

Also, for some reason I find France rather hard to play as. Nobody wants to ally with you and you are in danger of being attacked by everyone. Playing Muscovy seemed way easier and equally powerful.

This about sums up my experience with Oman.

Just play as a republic, grab revolution and counter revolution, and only get 7 aggressive expansion for annexation.

Toma

Just play as a republic, grab revolution and counter revolution, and only get 7 aggressive expansion for annexation.

Its not even that, everyone from the get go hates France or considers them their rival. You cant make alliances or royal marriages even if you have those nations above +90 relation. Its ridiculous.

Kabouter

Its not even that, everyone from the get go hates France or considers them their rival. You cant make alliances or royal marriages even if you have those nations above +90 relation. Its ridiculous.

Yeah, that's an issue as France. As Oman, my issue wasn't rivalry (although I always had a bunch), but it was the fact that I was Shiite where most others really weren't.

Quixzlizx

The first time I tried this game was in MP with a friend. I was Portugal, and he was Castile. I managed to lose an explorer to attrition, Ceuta rebelled within a year with thirteen regiments (the size of my entire starting military) and I had to wait for them to successfully siege the province and hole up in the fort before I could send my army across the Strait of Gibraltar piecemeal and countersiege, and the army I sent to protect an African colony died to natives even though they had equal numbers.

That's when I got up and started rage-pacing throughout my apartment because I was too mad to keep playing. I'll try again this weekend.

Toma

The first time I tried this game was in MP with a friend. I was Portugal, and he was Castile. I managed to lose an explorer to attrition, Ceuta rebelled within a year with thirteen regiments (the size of my entire starting military) and I had to wait for them to successfully siege the province and hole up in the fort before I could send my army across the Strait of Gibraltar piecemeal and countersiege, and the army I sent to protect an African colony died to natives even though they had equal numbers.

That's when I got up and started rage-pacing throughout my apartment because I was too mad to keep playing. I'll try again this weekend.

I highly recommend trying it SP without Ironman first and reload often to see how actions affect the outcomes. It helped me tremendously learning the ins and outs of these games. (Also, go with Castille for your first game)

Toma

Yeah, that's an issue as France. As Oman, my issue wasn't rivalry (although I always had a bunch), but it was the fact that I was Shiite where most others really weren't.

Oh that sucks too, yeah. Being surrounded by people who have religious casus belli on you doesnt sound too fun either. Besides, Oman probably doesnt have the military power that France/muscovy have. I was lucky to be strong enough to beat Austria back into its cage before they effectively became too much of a threat after that Burgundy takeover.

Essay

That's when your real game of EUIV begins, and your true inner diplomat has to come out and shine:
"Oh, look at how unlucky you got with that last Castillian ruler. And I'm sure you could've hit a higher tech level by now. Just look at Austria cutting ahead of us. How about we agree to start over from that earlier save file...?" xD

Kabouter

Oh that sucks too, yeah. Being surrounded by people who have religious casus belli on you doesnt sound too fun either. Besides, Oman probably doesnt have the military power that France/muscovy have. I was lucky to be strong enough to beat Austria back into its cage before they effectively became too much of a threat after that Burgundy takeover.

I could manage like 8000 soldiers in the beginning if I stretched myself, and it sadly didn't take very long for me to border the Mamluks (who were more successful than the Ottomans until I finally ended up beating them back), that held back progress for a long time.

Quixzlizx

I highly recommend trying it SP without Ironman first and reload often to see how actions affect the outcomes. It helped me tremendously learning the ins and outs of these games. (Also, go with Castille for your first game)

Well, I figured being Portugal would be easy-mode considering I had my experienced friend as an Iberian meatshield. Unfortunately, nothing could save me from my own incompetence.

Toma

Well, I figured being Portugal would be easy-mode considering I had my experienced friend as an Iberian meatshield. Unfortunately, nothing could save me from my own incompetence.

Yeah, it sort of is if you dont plan on doing much, but Spain is better at teaching you basics (conquest of Granada is easier than conquering african provinces with portugal).

Kabouter

I actually wouldn't learn the game playing as a colonizer or naval focused country.

I found playing as the Hansa quite a good learning experience myself. It's not very big, the nations surrounding it are generally not very big, you're reasonably rich, you have the protection of the emperor, you get to experiment with the trade system without having to set up a giant intercontinental network, you're not going to get stuck with any bad monarchs or regency councils and so on. Now, you might consider it naval focused, but it doesn't need a navy quite to the same degree that a country like Portugal does.

I found playing as the Hansa quite a good learning experience myself. It's not very big, the nations surrounding it are generally not very big, you're reasonably rich, you have the protection of the emperor, you get to experiment with the trade system without having to set up a giant intercontinental network, you're not going to get stuck with any bad monarchs or regency councils and so on. Now, you might consider it naval focused, but it doesn't need a navy quite to the same degree that a country like Portugal does.

Hansa isn't a bad choice, I was mostly thinking of countries that have to juggle and micromanage territory and trade across multiple continents. Hansa could be played as a colonizer, but it isn't pushed in that direction the same way Portugal is. Though republican tradition is probably more complicated than dealing with monarchs.

mkenyon

Banned
I've felt the same way about Denmark. I was really able to dip my toes into every facet of the game with them.

Toma

Finally stabilized my France after 20 years, now to decide whether I'll take down England, finish up the remaining french provinces (I still need Brittany), grab the high value dutch provinces or inch towards the HRE next.

Volodja

Finished my first game with Inca, managing to Westernize and convert only in the last 30 years or so.
Made more technological progress in that span of time than in the 100 years before I think.
Closed the game with 23 provinces, which is ok for me considering that Portugal first and then Spain really hated me. Thankfully rebels kept giving me free territories pretty regularly.

I have to say that nations that were completely annexed coming back with the same tech levels of their conquerors made things kind of weird sometimes.

mkenyon

Banned
So delicious.

This answers everything. I especially love this nugget:

Collecting in the capital is generally only worth it for countries that have Trade Power concentrated in fewer trade nodes than they have Merchants.
Stationing a Merchant in the capital increases the income there by 10%, whereas collecting with a Merchant in another node halves the Trade Power. The halved Trade Power will never decrease income by more than half relative to having full Trade Power, so in most cases a country would have to control more than five times as much Trade Value in the capital as another node to justify stationing a Merchant there.

FACE

Banned
I'm full-on tenting.

PM me your Steam name.

*edit*

In retrospect, that's a creepy follow up. It's tied to the back and forth in that other thread.

*edit 2*

Or just add me. http://steamcommunity.com/id/michalius

Just added you :)

Edit:

ivx1y6i5vO10l.gif

<3 <3 <3 <3

mavs

East indies trade is totally busted. The cost of going over the naval force limit rises far more slowly than the gains from routing trade around the cape of good hope, basically granting unlimited money.

East indies trade is totally busted. The cost of going over the naval force limit rises far more slowly than the gains from routing trade around the cape of good hope, basically granting unlimited money.
Trade as a whole is too lucrative. It should be toned down at the high end with tariffs being more important than they are now.

Kabouter

Trade as a whole is too lucrative. It should be toned down at the high end with tariffs being more important than they are now.

To be fair, during this time, trade was incredibly lucrative. You might not like it, but this is still a semi-historical game. You have to consider that tiny ass Netherlands was able to field armies that competed with any European power simply because their trade afforded them the ability to hire huge amounts of mercenaries. Obviously, nothing of the sort would have been possible without the Baltic grain trade and the East Indies spice trade.

To be fair, during this time, trade was incredibly lucrative. You might not like it, but this is still a semi-historical game. You have to consider that tiny ass Netherlands was able to field armies that competed with any European power simply because their trade afforded them the ability to hire huge amounts of mercenaries. Obviously, nothing of the sort would have been possible without the Baltic grain trade and the East Indies spice trade.

There is quite of bit of room between incredibly lucrative and how it works now. I'm not suggesting that trade shouldn't be highly profitable, just that it's extreme now. And the game is designed to ignore history in favor of gameplay in all sorts of ways, so that isn't really much of an obstacle here. Though it's not that big of a deal right now because money isn't really the most important thing in this game.

Toma

There is quite of bit of room between incredibly lucrative and how it works now. I'm not suggesting that trade shouldn't be highly profitable, just that it's extreme now. And the game is designed to ignore history in favor of gameplay in all sorts of ways, so that isn't really much of an obstacle here.

Yeah, the Inca/Mali gold banking tactic is the same. It WAS highly profitable to exploit those nations but they still said they are going to address it. But then again, without that trade, it would be impossible for some countries to actually make a start.

The problem is the multipliers for moving trade between a ton a trade nodes get way too extreme when added up. This also leads to illogical scenarios where longer trade routes are always better, if real life was EU4, the Suez and Panama Canals would decrease trade income!\

Yeah, the Inca/Mali gold banking tactic is the same. It WAS highly profitable to exploit those nations but they still said they are going to address it. But then again, without that trade, it would be impossible for some countries to actually make a start.
Early trade income doesn't really need to be addressed much, it's what happens later on that should be tweaked.

Toma

The problem is the multipliers for moving trade between a ton a trade nodes get way too extreme when added up. This also leads to illogical scenarios where longer trade routes are always better, if real life was EU4, the Suez and Panama Canals would decrease trade income!\

Early trade income doesn't really need to be addressed much, it's what happens later on that should be tweaked.

Ah, I see. You are talking about the trade through, yeah that seems a bit ridiculous.

Toma

Looking through the achievement list; "The Three Mountains" must surely be impossible...

I tried a Rykyku playthrough already. Managed to get a smaller vassal in China, and after fighting a big war to get another one, the game was annoying me by having someone else conquer my new vassal, so I quit.

Kabouter

I tried a Rykyku playthrough already. Managed to get a smaller vassal in China, and after fighting a big war to get another one, the game was annoying me by having someone else conquer my new vassal, so I quit.

I tried the Cherokee one, was doing pretty well until France destroyed me, took a province and left me with such war exhaustion that my country was falling to pieces. Quit that one :p.

Looking through the achievement list; "The Three Mountains" must surely be impossible...

Someone will get it done with cheese and exploits. It's already been done by cheating. Apparently the game doesn't detect if you alter the mission files even in Ironman mode so you can add a bunch of cheat missions.

Toma

Check this AAR out. This guy managed it in EU3, last I looked he was well on his way to accomplishing it in EU4 too.

Anyone know whether he westernized, changed religion and how he got into Europe? Need to check that AAR more closely later.

Manik

Anyone interested in MP? Write your preferred time schedule like below and we'll see in a few days how we can fit it in.

Current schedule:

Oops! I'm on there, but times available should read 8:30PM - 12:30AM / BST.

My fault, I wrote it down wrong the first time - silly pm/am swapover.

Fitz

Anyone know whether he westernized, changed religion and how he got into Europe? Need to check that AAR more closely later.

Last I saw he hadn't westernised, I think he was using units flagged as in exile with a conquistador and sending them across Eurasia to explore. He does a lot of very gamey things, sometimes downright exploiting bugs, but when going for The Three Mountains, it's the name of the game.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
I tried the Cherokee one, was doing pretty well until France destroyed me, took a province and left me with such war exhaustion that my country was falling to pieces. Quit that one :p.
The AI seems pretty nonchalant about colonizing at first, so it might be possible to colonize the east coast before the Europeans even arrive in North America. Of course, the danger of such a strategy is that France or Britain or whomever may somehow fit a colonist in there before you've gotten the achievement and then quickly declare war on you and dismantle everything that took more than a century to achieve.

I played one game as the Cherokee and my strategy was to simply wait for the Europeans to arrive, since I didn't think that I could reach admin level four in time. But no, France didn't place its first colony on the east coast until something like 1570, so I probably did not play a very optimal game.

Another thing I found is that westernization is a far more arduous process than in EU3, because you have to boost your stability back to positive before you can begin the process of fully westernizing. The resistance to westernization events alone are pretty terrible, but then the game decides to auto-convert me to Catholicism, which leads to religious riots everywhere and drops my religious unity to zero. Stability boost now costs about 300 admin points. My manpower is gone. I've taken out nearly 20 loans. I survive the entire ordeal, only to find that the neighborhood bonus on tech is a pathetic 25%, which is in reality 15% at most because of the tribal democracy penalty. So it might be 1700 before I can catch up in technology. I'm still debating whether I should have gone with one of the administrative ideas first, which would have allowed me to reform my government shortly after westernizing.

Kabouter

The AI seems pretty nonchalant about colonizing at first, so it might be possible to colonize the east coast before the Europeans even arrive in North America. Of course, the danger of such a strategy is that France or Britain or whomever may somehow fit a colonist in there before you've gotten the achievement and then quickly declare war on you and dismantle everything that took more than a century to achieve.

I played one game as the Cherokee and my strategy was to simply wait for the Europeans to arrive, since I didn't think that I could reach admin level four in time. But no, France didn't place its first colony on the east coast until something like 1570, so I probably did not play a very optimal game.

Another thing I found is that westernization is a far more arduous process than in EU3, because you have to boost your stability back to positive before you can begin the process of fully westernizing. The resistance to westernization events alone are pretty terrible, but then the game decides to auto-convert me to Catholicism, which leads to religious riots everywhere and drops my religious unity to zero. Stability boost now costs about 300 admin points. My manpower is gone. I've taken out nearly 20 loans. I survive the entire ordeal, only to find that the neighborhood bonus on tech is a pathetic 25%, which is in reality 15% at most because of the tribal democracy penalty. So it might be 1700 before I can catch up in technology. I'm still debating whether I should have gone with one of the administrative ideas first, which would have allowed me to reform my government shortly after westernizing.

France simply attacked, without having an adjacent province first. Portugal had done so before them, but them I was able to fend off at least. I'd done reasonably well before then, I had annexed Creek/Shawnee and had Huron and Iroquois as vassals. I was also close to admin 4.

Top Bottom