• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europa Universalis IV |OT| A Game of Blobs

ag-my001

Well that stinks, I was finishing up a CK2 game where I took over Granada as a republic and just invaded Asturias for the king level title. Was going to export for eventual EU4 play. Maybe I'll hold onto the save and hope some balancing is done.

robjoh

Well that stinks, I was finishing up a CK2 game where I took over Granada as a republic and just invaded Asturias for the king level title. Was going to export for eventual EU4 play. Maybe I'll hold onto the save and hope some balancing is done.

It is not that bad, but I miss stuff as royal marriage. Other than that I think it is possible to run as a republic. But honestly I am not that good and used to paradox games so you should probably not listen to me.

robjoh

So I did start a new game as The Hansa. Trying to follow the advice that I got earlier with a slow but steady expansion and find some strong allies. However I find that I do not understand part of the mechanisms in the HRE.

When I started to annex my neighbors I got "return unlawful province" from Austria. This happened for the first two provinces I took. I said no and marched on. For the next two provinces I took I have not got "return unlawful province". What is the mechanism behind "return unlawful province"?

I have problem getting strong allies to support me. Not only that I have problem to hold onto decent powerful allies or get them to fight with me. I was allied with Brandenburg for a couple of years but they ended the alliance.

I even joined Oldenburg in an offensive war and found after the war that Oldenburg canceled the alliance with me. This was a war where I stood for most of the fighting and was the reason why we won the war.

Is there anyone that is used to fight in the HRE that can tell me if this is common? Or am I just bad at making people trust me?

mkenyon

Banned
I have no idea of the actual mechanics, but a lot of the people in the HRE have opposing goals, even if they align from time to time. Ultimately you all want to subjugate each other.

If I were looking for an ally, it'd be someone like Burgundy, Poland, Venice, France, or Hungary. Someone on the periphery that can step in when need be.

------

So I'm up to 1743 in my latest game as Aragon. Formed Spain, but not before Castile went into full colony mode. They're left with two territories on the Iberian Peninsula, but have huge expansions in NE Asia, all over the Americas, and eastern Africa. Pricks.

I ended up colonizing Florida through Texas, everything from W Africa to S Africa, Madagascar, and have recently started taking over all of Ming China. I'm the most powerful Western European nation as it is, having Naples, classic Spanish territories on the Iberian Peninsula, southern France, and a number of islands around the Mediterranean. I have the Papal States as a Vassal, the Curia locked down for the past 200 years, and really strong allies in Burgundy and Portugal.

But, the Ottomans have expanded and now own everything from the Caucasus to Tunisia. They can roll around with 130 stack of troops like it's no big deal. I have no idea how to knock them down a peg.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
So I did start a new game as The Hansa. Trying to follow the advice that I got earlier with a slow but steady expansion and find some strong allies. However I find that I do not understand part of the mechanisms in the HRE.

When I started to annex my neighbors I got "return unlawful province" from Austria. This happened for the first two provinces I took. I said no and marched on. For the next two provinces I took I have not got "return unlawful province". What is the mechanism behind "return unlawful province"?
The Unlawful Province is a bit silly. Basically, if you have control of a HRE territory that's not also cored, the Emperor can demand it from you regardless of whether or not you're HRE proper. Assenting to this decision means giving it back to the country you stole it from or possibly bringing in an old HRE nation back from the dead. Refusing comes with severe penalties.

This decision is, I believe, totally random if the AI is an emperor. I didn't get many demands in my Brandenburg game possibly because i had Austria allied from the very start. But once Bohemia took over the throne, they started demanding my conquests.

So your only choices here are:
1) Diplo Annex
2) Be friends with the emperor
3) Become the emperor

In other news, does anyone have any protips for playing Venice?

robjoh

If I were looking for an ally, it'd be someone like Burgundy, Poland, Venice, France, or Hungary. Someone on the periphery that can step in when need be.

Burgundy does not exist anymore
Poland has decided that I am his rival
France still trying
Hungary is not in a very strong position after the last war against Poland and Austria
Thats leaves Venice... :)

The Unlawful Province is a bit silly. Basically, if you have control of a HRE territory that's not also cored, the Emperor can demand it from you regardless of whether or not you're HRE proper. Assenting to this decision means giving it back to the country you stole it from or possibly bringing in an old HRE nation back from the dead. Refusing comes with severe penalties.

Thanks for the information.

Haly

Doing a Venice game as boot camp for EU4GAF MP.

Ottomans - 1489
63/62 Naval Force Limit
29 Light Ships
23 Galleys
11 Transports

Ottomans - 1492
66/66 Naval Force Limit
12 Heavy Ships
15 Light Ships
25 Galleys
14 Transports

Well played, Ottomans. Well played.

Annnnnd I just got coalition blobbed by France and Castille. What the hell????

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
So, I am finally going to try a decent run on a fully randomized map, see how that works and compares to the normal world map. Since I assume not many here tried that, I'll try to post what happens. To make things a bit smoother on my first try I am going to take a random nation,but it needs to than 2 + less than 8 provinces big. First random nation with those criterias is mine.

Bosnia it is! Which sucks a bit because they arent western, but I'll make do for my first try:
K49iViB.jpg

This is the rest of the currently known world:

My biggest problem is probably going to be Novgorod. Past that, the HRE seems to be HUGE, so I might try to get some provinces around me and then see how the southern part of the continent is looking. I started off by taking the 50 prestige mission which will give me 1 Stab, and plan on immediately declaring war on Moldavia (3 provinces in the south) and Wallachia (1 prov), which are both Romanian/Orthodox, so I should be able to feed them each other and keep Moldavia as a vassal until annexing them.

I will take the -2 stab hit to get my war on Moldavia, since otherwise they might be allying muscovy or Novgorod. Better to make some expansion before the starting alliances hit. I can also afford grabbing a general, because of my 4-1-6 ruler, which is quite nice. I'll also need to spend the first 200 admin points on getting my stab back up.

I started the war, expectedly won it, took Moldavia as my Vassal, and am currently taking over the provinces. While doing that , I took a look at the trade nodes, and saw that I have my own trade node and a decent setup to make some money via trade after grabbing a few of those provinces:

Unfortunately, I then noticed that Novgorod apparently allied themselves to Moldavia after I attacked them and still decided to join the war. After a few months, they were willing to let the war go for a simple "defeat", though without my losing anything from the war. Once the war was over for good, I started improving relations with Novgorod (so I can get them to help my decimate muscovy) and preparing a claim on Ragusa (1 province country to the north of bosnia which has no ally yet), which I might simply annex and then core to get access to the colonizable provinces north of it.

Also, new heir happened:

Funnily enough, Novgorod sent me the alliance proposal right after our relations went positive, so thats a good step for now. I'll keep improving the relations, and hope we can tackle muscovy together eventually. Other than that, there are a few colonizable regions next to my country which are really tempting and I might attack something to the south of novgorod for further expansion, because the muscovy/serbia alliance is a bit too strong for me to tackle atm. After that, 5 years have passed and I stopped my first session with the following end results:

Other than Novgorod and me expanding a bit, not much else seemed to have happened in "Europe". Not sure how much I am going to play with this mod, because it does seem to slow down the time heavily, but I'll try a few sessions I think.

Mr.Mike

EU4 has been crashing a lot more often recently than it has in the past. Has anyone else experienced this? Hopefully it'll get fixed in the next patch.

fresquito

EU4 has been crashing a lot more often recently than it has in the past. Has anyone else experienced this? Hopefully it'll get fixed in the next patch.
Haven't had any crash. Maybe something on your end?

BTW. Does anybody know how to zoom in and out with the keyboard? I like playing in my laptop and there's no scroll wheel there.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
My favorite game until now was a Tuscany game where I managed to colonize the whole South America and parts of Africa. I would really dislike if this is no longer possible.

Haly

That kind of sucks. As much as I was annoyed by the AI's tendency to use each other's islands like a bunch of stoners passing around a joint, I liked that it opened an avenue of play for a lot of minor powers who would've been pigeonholed into being conquest fodder otherwise.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
That kind of sucks. As much as I was annoyed by the AI's tendency to use each other's islands like a bunch of stoners passing around a joint, I liked that it opened an avenue of play for a lot of minor powers who would've been pigeonholed into being conquest fodder otherwise.

Yeah, it seems more restrictive than anything else.

Kabouter

Tell me about it :(

mkenyon

Banned
That really does suck. I've always relied on it as a way to get colonies up and running.

Maybe the race to the colonies will be slowed down a bit as perhaps the AI uses this as well?

ZZMitch

Eh I was never a big fan of the fleet basing right thing. I always thought it would be weird (from a role playing/realism point of view) that a colonizing country like Portugal would give fleet basing rights to another country, which would then go on to a competitor in colonization.

mkenyon

Banned
Eh I was never a big fan of the fleet basing right thing. I always thought it would be weird (from a role playing/realism point of view) that a colonizing country like Portugal would give fleet basing rights to another country, which would then go on to a competitor in colonization.
Well, how I'd abuse it would be to get rights from a native country right next to the place I wanted to colonize. Get rights from Mali/Songhai, colonize Ivory Coast. That sort of thing.

Haly

If nothing else, the whole sharing fleet rights thing meant European nations typically tripped over one another to colonize stuff. While it did mean a harder time for the natives, it also meant Europe had even more reason to fight among itself.

Now that Portugal can basically hold a monopoly on the new world... I wonder what the lategame will look like.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Have they done something to the aggressive expansion-penalties and/or coalitions? Now I cant even take two provinces in the HRE before half of europe gang up on me.

Haly

Yes, the latest patch undid most of 1.4's AE shenanigans. I'm not sure if it is back to 1.2-1.3 levels but the numbers certainly feel like it. Maybe it degrades faster.

robjoh

Yes, the latest patch undid most of 1.4's AE shenanigans. I'm not sure if it is back to 1.2-1.3 levels but the numbers certainly feel like it. Maybe it degrades faster.

That might explain why I have huge problems expanding in the HRE as Hansa. Even 5-10 years between wars where I only take one province at the time creates huge amount of AE.

On the other hand after I supported France in the war against England I now own part of Ireland. If everything goes as planned I will soon jump to Africa.

Denmark is now in war with Muscovy which means that the only country close by that really could give me problem is busy on another front. Now I can only hope that the war exhaustion will create rebels so that Sweden gets released from Denmark, then I can declare war against Denmark :)

Kabouter

Have they done something to the aggressive expansion-penalties and/or coalitions? Now I cant even take two provinces in the HRE before half of europe gang up on me.

There is an AE modifier for conquests within the HRE. You gain it much faster there and gain it on the entire HRE.

robjoh

Is it possible to load an save from the base EUIV if you want to play that save with the conquest of paradise expansion? I am starting to think that my Hansa game should have been started with the conquest of paradise expansion, which I still do not own (did not see the need for it).

Haly

I'm having fun as Mughals. Being Timurid is suffering but Mughal's free Claims on ALL of India makes it worth it.

How on earth do I defeat France? I'm Castille... er Spain by now. I've the Spanish mainland, I've conquered (also cored, converted etc.) Morocco and parts of Algiers + the stuff that I got from Aragon (Sicily, Sardinia, Malta), so I'm doing okay.
I got a few colonies (maybe 10), although to be honest due to me being noob I'm still kind of confused because some of those colonies are now sort of independent. They pay me, but I can't build there anymore, others are still dependant (both "types" in South America).
Anyways, it's my first proper game, so I play on easy and most wars have been reasonably easy tbh. I've had no issues with Morocco except when I once attacked them while they were allied with the Ottomans lol ^^
But with France I'm having serious problems. I'm allied with Naples (and Portugal, recently also formed an alliance with Hungary) and for whatever reason they declared war to a pretty huge coalition (France, Switzerland, Bohemia), so I decided to jump in but that didn't turn out too well. First, I'm simply overwhelmed by their sheer amount of forces, I've like 80 regiments atm, but they have a tad more. Second, my morale drops like a stone once I engage in battle with an army of France roughly the same size as mine. I also always get a penalty due to their general being better than mine, so I pretty much can't attack because I'd probably be at sth. like -5 oder -6 due to the terrain malus.
But defending also is a lost cause in the long term... :/
What do I do? I'd need superior tech (I can't do that as I'm always slightly ahead of time on that one) and/or superior morale and/or superior generals, but I've no clue how to do that.

The thing is also that I feel like I can't wait much longer. After losing said France war, I decided to load the save before the war and didn't join, but that of course resulted in stupid Naples losing the war and France now having two provinces in Italy. They are getting bigger and bigger, their allies are also reasonably big and are often engaged in wars in central europe and they tend to be the winning team.
Btw. I definitely can't make them friends. They've hated me since day 1 and also declared war on me two or three times before.

I'm currently in the year 1572, tech levels are 13/14/14, I chose economic, exploration and offensive as my ideas so far (just recently maxed them out).

mkenyon

Banned
Have a CB waiting and declare war when they're engaged in a moderately difficult one. Hopefully you will have a decent alliance of your own. Then they have two difficult wars to fight in.

You can also fire generals until you get a good one. You don't have to keep the first one you recruit.

A lot of it is about being proactive. If you sense some difficulty 100+ years down the road, start dealing with it ASAP in more subversive ways, such as denying them allies and making expansion more difficult. Build up a solid navy, get great trade power in their major nodes, and then embargo them. That sort of stuff.

*edit*

Also, saw that you went eco/explor/offensive. You want Diplo fast to get the additional ambassador and relationships. Being able to have 6 helps tons.

Mr.Mike

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?759738-Hotfix-1.5.1-checksum-0ef1

- Fixed a bug where subjects would be unable to buy their overlords' core provinces outside their coring range.
- Will no longer be able to attempt to sell provinces when the sale is not valid (due to coring range or other reasons).
- Reduced number of Great Power allies penalty from -100 to -50
- Added defines for Number of Great Power allies allowed before a penalty is applied to alliance chance
- Added defines for Penalty on alliance chance for having more GP allies than allowed
- AI: Will no longer break alliances due to gaining too many Great Power allies
- There is no longer any extra +manpower in the build interface where it shouldn't be.
- No longer 601 days to colonize inland adjacent to puppets.
- Fixed tooltip for being unable to sell provinces due to being outside buyer's coring range.
- Fixed a bug where subjects of subjects could not call their overlord to war if attacked.
- Fixed spanish and french localisation
- Fixed native american theologian picture
- Fixed issue with DLCs from steam and DLCs using archives breaking when replacing paths

krpiper

So I have been playing just a few hours of CK2 (like 10) and have just touched the surface.

But a friend and I both have EU4 (bought during the sale) and haven't played much, will my "knowledge" carry over.

And finally what game should I continue to play and really invest time into

ZZMitch

So I have been playing just a few hours of CK2 (like 10) and have just touched the surface.

But a friend and I both have EU4 (bought during the sale) and haven't played much, will my "knowledge" carry over.

And finally what game should I continue to play and really invest time into

I would start with EU4 since I think it is the most beginner friendly Paradox grand strategy series. Also it is fun to play multiplayer if you and your friend want to do that. If you enjoy the dark age setting though, CK2 is loads of fun (as you probably have found), but has bit more micromanagement and a few more layers that could trip up newer players when compared to EU4.

I would play EU4, personally, and then maybe give CK2 more a shot down the line. Maybe when the India DLC hits.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I would start with EU4 since I think it is the most beginner friendly Paradox grand strategy series. Also it is fun to play multiplayer if you and your friend want to do that. If you enjoy the dark age setting though, CK2 is loads of fun (as you probably have found), but has bit more micromanagement and a few more layers that could trip up newer players when compared to EU4.

I would play EU4, personally, and then maybe give CK2 more a shot down the line. Maybe when the India DLC hits.

Some people find CK2 more approachable/easier because of the more RPG-esque micromangement parts.

Haly

Thank the lord. Now I can actually rely on France/Austria in my SP Venice games

Top Bottom