• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europa Universalis IV |OT| A Game of Blobs

ZZMitch

So my colonial subject, Newfoundland, ended up getting its own protectorates. And if you declare war, you go to war with your colonial nation. Time to submit a bug report.

You mean if you declare war on your colonial nation's protectorate? Seems strange that colonial nations can have subjects since they are subjects themselves.

Mr.Mike

You mean if you declare war on your colonial nation's protectorate? Seems strange that colonial nations can have subjects since they are subjects themselves.

Colonial nation's will go out and have wars and stuff without you. So far I don't think I've seen any of mine take subjects, but they have taken territory from Natives on their own. That they would get a protectorate in a peace deal doesn't seem too crazy.

ZZMitch

Colonial nation's will go out and have wars and stuff without you. So far I don't think I've seen any of mine take subjects, but they have taken territory from Natives on their own. That they would get a protectorate in a peace deal doesn't seem too crazy.

I suppose, I have not gotten to the colonial aspect of my current game so I have not seen the mechanics at work yet. I just thought I read something about subject nations not being able to have their own subjects but maybe that is outdated info.

zoku88

I've seen my subjects have subjects.

Something annoying happened to yesterday. I made a protectorate out of one of the Indian countries via war, but they were in a defensive war against other nations, so when my war ended, I was automaticlaly placed as the leader of the protectorate's defensive wars, which is fine. The problem is that it automatically called all of my allies, who all refused to join the war.

Losing all of my allies almost screwed me over with regards to dealing with France :mad:

this sunset invasion achievement is literally going to be the end of me. God mesoamerican SUCKS in this game, makes southeast asian or indian subcontient nations look like France in comparison.

So much garbage can happen that is almost completely out of your control.

- can't kill off your first incredibly shitty heir/first king dies too early, delaying ADM 4 too long
- castille or portugal hits the failboat mucking with the muslims/brazil and doesn't get into the Caribbean until super late, or that they don't declare on you fast enough so that you can peace out a neighboring province to westernize with.
- westernizing and converting a huge empire for 12 years is so painful. enjoy your blanket 15% revolt risk .

Still would rather play this than anything in Europe. I played like two hours of a Venice game in my entire time w/ EU4 (200+ hours now), europe is just too easymode.

edit: BTW if you haven't played a game as a japanese daimyo you should. One of my top Paradox experiences-fun and full of flavor. Right up there with pulling Persia out of the shitter in Victoria 2 and any game where I can carpet the netherlands with Belgium.

Kabouter

this sunset invasion achievement is literally going to be the end of me. God mesoamerican SUCKS in this game, makes southeast asian or indian subcontient nations look like France in comparison.

So much garbage can happen that is almost completely out of your control.

- can't kill off your first incredibly shitty heir/first king dies too early, delaying ADM 4 too long
- castille or portugal hits the failboat mucking with the muslims/brazil and doesn't get into the Caribbean until super late, or that they don't declare on you fast enough so that you can peace out a neighboring province to westernize with.
- westernizing and converting a huge empire for 12 years is so painful. enjoy your blanket 15% revolt risk .

Still would rather play this than anything in Europe. I played like two hours of a Venice game in my entire time w/ EU4 (200+ hours now), europe is just too easymode.

edit: BTW if you haven't played a game as a japanese daimyo you should. One of my top Paradox experiences-fun and full of flavor. Right up there with pulling Persia out of the shitter in Victoria 2 and any game where I can carpet the netherlands with Belgium.
Whoa whoa whoa whoa. What's that about?

And yes, I've failed the Sunset Invasion achievement I think 4-5 times now. My god does it ever suck, or more specifically, my god do the Aztecs ever suck. And even if you do manage to start Westernization, if you don't get an event allowing you to convert to Christian, you might as well restart. If you do get it, you will want to restart due to all the rebels of having no religious unity at the same time as westernization.

As far as most fun goes, I think I liked my game as Kongo the best, that was a great game. Managed to conquer all of Africa for the achievement and a few bits besides, pretty crazy given what you start as.
Edit: My game as Ethiopia was amazing too, actually ended up getting a PU with Portugal in that one hahah. I think Ethiopia is probably one of the most fun nations to play in the game given its location, nature etc.

Edit: Also, if you find Europe too easy mode, try Byzantium. There is no way you can consider that easy mode at this point, or you're some sort of strategy god. Similarly, try Granada.

Kabouter

Only real complaints I've seen so far are from people upset that the vassal feeding exploit doesn't work anymore, so if I had to guess, I'd say it's probably related to that.

Kabouter

Might be talking about AE as well, which let's face it is clearly not working properly in 1.4.

Oh, for sure, AE basically offers no pushback now. It was pretty unforgiving before, but I quite liked that. Them nerfing it is fair in part due to the vassal feeding fix, but they just went way overboard on it. I'm sure it'll be reverted (at least in part) in future updates.

Mr.Mike

What's the thoughts about the new DLC, "Wealth of Nations"?

Sounds good so far, although it might be a bit light on the new features. As long as it's priced accordingly I think it'll be a good improvement to the game.

Some news, for the curious.http://www.paradoxplaza.com/press/2014/1/paradox-announces-europa-universalis-iv-wealth-of-nations

The expansion will feature:

The Invisible Hand of the Market: You can act covertly to instigate trade conflicts among the competition, stifling income and leaving yourself atop the economic heap.
Seize the Seas: Hiring privateers can damage enemy shipments and cripple their trade, but risks retaliation in the form of open warfare if you are caught.
Capitalize: Empires can designate a specific port as their trade capital, separate from their national capital, and strengthen local trade routes through the use of inland trade nodes.
Monopolize and Mobilize: Form an East India Company and reach faraway trade partners with an unstoppable shipping concern.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
More gold I'll never use because ADM is too important, whoopee!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Just in case someone else was as hot on a random world mod as I was:
1367EF59BCB8478BCBECBE80F5081DBFF27DAC9B

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?751689-MOD-CoP-Haftetavenscrap-s-Realistic-Map-Generator

Once you know how you need to use it, it works flawlessly (also no stupid Fog of war issues). I am still trying to see whether I can integrate that into the Byzantium mod, but other than that, aaaaawesome.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Interesting! Is there something in that mod that decides the size of nations or is it random?

Not sure, but its the best random mod so far because the modder wrote his own randomizing program that also allows for bigger nations. There were a few other modders that tried using the Paradox randomization for the whole world, but that limits all countries to 1-5 provinces and every province having a max of 4 tax value.

I'd definitely suggest giving it a try.

mkenyon

Banned
Started a new game a few days ago. Totally hooked again.

This is such a stupidly amazing game. The AE change had me not expanding fast enough though. Playing as Aragon, and the only place I ended up expanding to was getting Bearn and Navarra.

I picked Portugal, Tuscany, and Savoy as my core allies, thinking it would set me up for a good fight against Castille. However, the moment Naples claimed independence, Castille quickly buddied up with them, and in just under a year, Austria ended up claiming the throne in Naples while they were still allied with Castille, who also guaranteed their independence.

Castille then also allied with Tuscany, who seems to favor them despite me helping secure the upper half of the Italian peninsula, including Milan, for them.

So now, if I war with Castille, I'm facing Castille, Naples, Tuscany, and Austria. It's only France and myself on our side, with Portugal not interested in taking part. Of course, I didn't know that's how it would shake our prior to declaring war, and now I'm doing everything I can to hang on and squeak out with maybe losing trade power for a little while.

Kabouter

I'd just like to say that when Île-de-France has risen to 17 base tax due to events, and France has as usual taken Aristocratic ideas, it is absolutely hell to core. 595 admin points, even with a bloody claim. I feel like my great Aztec empire is denied so many stock exchanges because of this :(.

fresquito

I've been meaning to play this game for a while. I have never been much into strategy games. I love Civ V, but I know it's fairly light compared to this. The thing is, I've tried the demo and I don't even know what I'm doing. Tutorial didn't help at all. Is there anywhere I can learn the basics? I'd like to see if I can enjoy this before the Humble Sale ends.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
I've been meaning to play this game for a while. I have never been much into strategy games. I love Civ V, but I know it's fairly light compared to this. The thing is, I've tried the demo and I don't even know what I'm doing. Tutorial didn't help at all. Is there anywhere I can learn the basics? I'd like to see if I can enjoy this before the Humble Sale ends.
The only thing I can really think of is this collection of tutorials by Arumba, but that's more like an explanation of the mechanics than a real strategy guide. The best way is probably to watch let's play videos on Youtube to get a sense of how people play the game and familiarize yourself with the mechanics and interface. That's how I learned to play Victoria 2 before I bought it.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Have been playing a bit multiplayer with a friend for the last few days as the Ottomans, and I was thinking about all those Janissary-events I am getting. They make my army awesome, and its never really a choice what to take, so that means this game probably have event chains that you need to experience before you know if they are wise to go after? I mean, surely the Janissarys will give me a ton of problems long term right? And so will probably all the other seemingly "good" events I have gotten? So my question is this, does anybody know where to find the complete list of all the real consequences for this stuff? I hate to not know what the real effects of my choices are.

Also, reading you guys, what is AE that you talk about?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Aggressive Expansion. You know that thing where you take a bunch of territory at once and suddenly everyone joined the coalition against you forever.

Kabouter

Have been playing a bit multiplayer with a friend for the last few days as the Ottomans, and I was thinking about all those Janissary-events I am getting. They make my army awesome, and its never really a choice what to take, so that means this game probably have event chains that you need to experience before you know if they are wise to go after? I mean, surely the Janissarys will give me a ton of problems long term right? And so will probably all the other seemingly "good" events I have gotten? So my question is this, does anybody know where to find the complete list of all the real consequences for this stuff? I hate to not know what the real effects of my choices are.

Also, reading you guys, what is AE that you talk about?

The EU4 Wiki has what you need for this:
http://www.eu4wiki.com/Ottoman_events

Morfeo

Aggressive Expansion. You know that thing where you take a bunch of territory at once and suddenly everyone joined the coalition against you forever.

Thanks! I feel I should have known this :)

The EU4 Wiki has what you need for this:
http://www.eu4wiki.com/Ottoman_events

Actually, I cant find those Janissary-events there, but I googled it before posting here yesterday, and the only place I found it mentioned was in some old developer diary. Strange.

Actually, I cant find those Janissary-events there, but I googled it before posting here yesterday, and the only place I found it mentioned was in some old developer diary. Strange.

There is a 12-event long chain in the TUR event files for the Janissaries. You can find them in the /events/ folder as "flavorTUR". They are part of the "dynamic historical events" system where a group of major nations have unique chains of events (like the English Civil War); that system was a major discussion of the developer diaries, thus your Google search. Turkey has numerous DHEs and is a great country to play as for a beginner.

Morfeo

There is a 12-event long chain in the TUR event files for the Janissaries. You can find them in the /events/ folder as "flavorTUR". They are part of the "dynamic historical events" system where a group of major nations have unique chains of events (like the English Civil War); that system was a major discussion of the developer diaries, thus your Google search. Turkey has numerous DHEs and is a great country to play as for a beginner.

Thanks! So I basically need to read through all this stuff if I want to know exactly what effects the different choices have. Terrible design from paradox imo.

Speaking of design that might not be terrible, but still very strange and hard to read, is the trade-system. I understand that you get penalties for collecting in a Node that is not your home node, and also using a merchant to collect in your capital node. So basically you will want to use your merchants to transfer trade power to your capital node right? So for the ottomans, does this mean one in Alexandria and one in Crimea, or is there a better way to do this?

Also, I guess I should protect my trade in Konstantinople as much as possible to avoid those westerners to divert the flow to Ragusa?

Thanks! So I basically need to read through all this stuff if I want to know exactly what effects the different choices have. Terrible design from paradox imo.

Speaking of design that might not be terrible, but still very strange and hard to read, is the trade-system. I understand that you get penalties for collecting in a Node that is not your home node, and also using a merchant to collect in your capital node. So basically you will want to use your merchants to transfer trade power to your capital node right? So for the ottomans, does this mean one in Alexandria and one in Crimea, or is there a better way to do this?

Also, I guess I should protect my trade in Konstantinople as much as possible to avoid those westerners to divert the flow to Ragusa?

The DHE system is supposed to be a cherry on top of your play and not something you engineer. As long as you sorta follow the historical path of the Turks, you'll probably get more of them.

You'll want to stop trade at Ragusa and focus ships at Alexandria, but also remember Europe eventually starts pushing trade around Africa, so try to get ships out at the Horn of Africa.

Morfeo

The DHE system is supposed to be a cherry on top of your play and not something you engineer. As long as you sorta follow the historical path of the Turks, you'll probably get more of them.

You'll want to stop trade at Ragusa and focus ships at Alexandria, but also remember Europe eventually starts pushing trade around Africa, so try to get ships out at the Horn of Africa.

Well, considering what happend with the Ottos, the janissaries and the beys in history, it would be nice to be able to avoid it in-game :) But thanks!

ZZMitch

Man I wish Paradox would do something about the bad AI in regards to a large Russia. I am playing as Germany (formed from Brandenburg/Prussia) and suddenly got a pop-up for a succession war over the throne of Ukraine!

It looked to be really crazy at the beginning. France (who already integrated Hungary and currently has a PU vs. Poland) and me vs. Russia, Denmark and Ukraine.

I was expecting an awesome war, but instead I crushed and occupied Denmark and Ukraine and waited... and waited. I entered Russia for a bit and almost occupied Moscow but the winter/attrition just decimated my units so I decided to just hold Ukraine for the ticking warscore. I kept expecting the Russian stacks to come from the East but they never came and 5 years later I won the war and got a PU over Ukraine.

Pretty underwhelming but alas. The eventual war with Mega-France is going to be awesome!

Giard

Is there a known bug with natives spawning out of nowhere in Africa? I'm trying to get Fanj/Funj (sp?) lands with Najd, but natives keep spawning on them every week! I just sold him back the provinces. They weren't colonies.

robjoh

Too right. I just lost a massive war, which led to two other alliances declaring wars on me to take more, so yeah, that game is done :p. German minors that are not Brandenburg or Hansa are hard as it turns out.

I tried to play the Hansa, lost pretty hard when most of HRE decided that I was an asshole and my "faithful" allied Sweden also decided that I should die. Any good advice?

Mr.Mike

I tried to play the Hansa, lost pretty hard when most of HRE decided that I was an asshole and my "faithful" allied Sweden also decided that I should die. Any good advice?

I once saw an after action report from someone who had taken a German OPM, gotten military acsess all the way to India, and set up shop there instead. They culture shifted to an Indian culture and dominated the subcontinent as the only western nation.By the times their neighbors had westernized they were already super powerful.

Kabouter

Wouldn't be able to do that now since he couldn't core such remote and disconnected land.

And you can't vassalize nations that far away from you in tech group.

As far as Hansa goes, do not play too aggressively, but expand at a measured pace. Possibly support Swedish independence to reduce the Danish threat. Get an alliance with a great European power, preferably either the HRE (Austria, commonly) or France, as they will be the nations most likely to be able to help you out whilst not being likely to have conflicting interests with you (whereas Sweden will eventually get missions to take stuff in Northern Germany).

robjoh

I once saw an after action report from someone who had taken a German OPM, gotten military acsess all the way to India, and set up shop there instead. They culture shifted to an Indian culture and dominated the subcontinent as the only western nation.By the times their neighbors had westernized they were already super powerful.

This sounds insane, but really cool.

And you can't vassalize nations that far away from you in tech group.

As far as Hansa goes, do not play too aggressively, but expand at a measured pace. Possibly support Swedish independence to reduce the Danish threat. Get an alliance with a great European power, preferably either the HRE (Austria, commonly) or France, as they will be the nations most likely to be able to help you out whilst not being likely to have conflicting interests with you (whereas Sweden will eventually get missions to take stuff in Northern Germany).

So try to get a big power to support me :)

For the moment I am playing as Russia, but I find it to boring because it is to easy.

Top Bottom