• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europa Universalis IV |OT| A Game of Blobs

Kabouter

Sounds like you need to make some European friends, like the Ottomans, Russia and the Commonwealth. I wonder if you could join the HRE if you managed to get a foothold there first...

My other idea would be to somehow become Christian so you can start marrying off to Portugal and some Italian minors in hopes of getting a PU.

Can't join the HRE, you'd need your capital in it, and you can't move your capital into the HRE. Guess I'll try making some friends regardless, but I can't imagine it'd be hard to have them stick around. As far as Christianity goes, I was hoping I'd be able to convert, but no such option has presented itself.

Kabouter

Latest Ironman game, Ethiopia:
eu4_map_eth_1562_01_2wjkgf.png
Yemen, Oman, Sind, and Kathiawar are vassals.

It's pretty awesome, at one point fairly soon into the game, Ethiopia gets a small event chain with regards to Portuguese explorers rounding the cape in search of Prester John. In the first of the two events, you need to select to honor the Portuguese explorer, in the second you need to choose for Portugal to give you military aid against the Mamluks. Not only will this give you various combat bonuses that will aid you in defending against Mamluk incursions, but it will also give a massive relationship boost with Portugal. Explore that way quickly enough (and settle something near their colonies in West Africa), and it's quite possible to get an alliance, which will generally safeguard you from further Muslim threats and allow you to westernize in peace. (outside of the shitty events).

Also, that Austria...geez

Fitz

Ethiopia seems like a really fun nation to play, in a great position to do everything. And damn that is a scary Austria for only just over 100 years in, wouldn't want to be France in that situation.

How long did it take you guys to learn the ropes for your first Paradox game?

I spent a long weekend with EU3 alternating between restarting a game as England and reading tutorials before it "clicked".

Kabouter

Ethiopia seems like a really fun nation to play, in a great position to do everything. And damn that is a scary Austria for only just over 100 years in, wouldn't want to be France in that situation.
Ethiopia is a great nation to play, I was surprised with how much more fun it is than it was in EU3. You being annexed isn't quite the foregone conclusion that it was there. Yeah, that is a monster Austria, and it's only grown since. And it's emperor, and is about to pass the fifth reform. :X That said, things have gone well for me too! I have annexed vassals Yemen and Oman, took what was Hedjaz (and vassalized Najd in a later war), managed to create Syria as a vassal from Ottoman and Mamluk lands in separate wars thanks to the aid of my Muscovite and Iberian allies, and I've been colonizing in Indonesia. The best thing though, is that at one point, my ruler died without heir, and I got a new king from the Avis family (Portugal's royal house). Naturally, I waited for Portugal to have no heir, claimed their throne, and managed to force the issue in a war (thank god Spain wasn't allied with them at that point though).

Edit: That said, I do sort of miss having the Solomonic dynasty on my throne :p

nacimento

I just got thrown into a sucession War as Aragon against everybody... Don't you have to claim the throne for that to happen? I never claimed the Croatian one and at some random moment everybody jumped on me.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I just got thrown into a sucession War as Aragon against everybody... Don't you have to claim the throne for that to happen? I never claimed the Croatian one and at some random moment everybody jumped on me.

It happened to me as Tuscany for the Switzerland throne. Luckily I had France as an ally and a lot of money, so fighting against the rest of Europe paid well in the end.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Finally, my dreams of unmodded Incan domination will come true.

Kabouter

I really like the changes to the score system to be honest, it still takes into account early game performance, but scores just feel like a much better reflection of the final state of the game and the overall progression.

Walshicus

Not sure I'm thrilled with this patch. I think it's ridiculous that Connaucht can move its capital to the US and then own all of America and Europe, but never own all of America without moving its capital.

Hari Seldon

Those new trade routes from America look interesting. There is no real point in colonizing the Americas as long as you plop down a monster blob of trade ships in that one Atlantic trade zone. At least that is what it looks like with screen shots.

Anyone fire up the expansion and try a Native American game yet?

robjoh

Anyone knows if existing game will be affected be the new patch?

I am for the moment playing as Russia and I must confess that I am not that happy that the changes Russia meanwhile I am playing.

Kabouter

Anyone knows if existing game will be affected be the new patch?

I am for the moment playing as Russia and I must confess that I am not that happy that the changes Russia meanwhile I am playing.

Ideas will likely stay the same as when you started the game, so you're good on Russia. I loaded up my Sioux game from an earlier version of CoP just now, and I still have generic ideas there rather than the default native ideas they added later. Things like colonial nations will change when you load up with the patch, in that nations with a bunch of colonies in the new world will suddenly see colonial nations form when they take the game off pause. The provinces that were added will also appear (like those in the 'Oregon trail' part of the map, as well as a few other scattered ones in North America and East Africa)

Hari Seldon

I had limited time last night but I tried playing as the Apache because well I love the Apache historically. The migrate stuff is pretty cool. I'm trying to migrate from the desert into the lush California lands, where I will then expand (since once you get more than 1 province you cannot migrate).

Edit: Forgot to say the one asshole AI tribe had the same idea and kept blocking my migration. So I took them over but left them at 100% warscore in order to block them from migrating haha.

robjoh

Ideas will likely stay the same as when you started the game, so you're good on Russia. I loaded up my Sioux game from an earlier version of CoP just now, and I still have generic ideas there rather than the default native ideas they added later. Things like colonial nations will change when you load up with the patch, in that nations with a bunch of colonies in the new world will suddenly see colonial nations form when they take the game off pause. The provinces that were added will also appear (like those in the 'Oregon trail' part of the map, as well as a few other scattered ones in North America and East Africa)

Thanks! Will try later.

Kabouter

I had limited time last night but I tried playing as the Apache because well I love the Apache historically. The migrate stuff is pretty cool. I'm trying to migrate from the desert into the lush California lands, where I will then expand (since once you get more than 1 province you cannot migrate).

Edit: Forgot to say the one asshole AI tribe had the same idea and kept blocking my migration. So I took them over but left them at 100% warscore in order to block them from migrating haha.

I did the *exact* same thing as the Sioux :D. Delicious Californian lands, and then move to the Gulf of Mexico to border Euros.

And after westernizing kicking all the Euros out of the new world, glory to the greater Sioux empire

Haly

So, what's the strat for fighting off Europe as a Native? Cause I'm getting my shit pushed in.

ibu17QhOuipmpT.png

I'm Iroquois, that giant green blob. I lost a chunk of Canada to Portugal in our first war and I'm like "okay, I can manage this." and Reformed off of France. A few years later, Portugal gets all up in my grill again, but this time they're bringing along Castille and Great Britain for the ride.

I was still reeling from the devastation of the last war (depleted manpower, only 30 units left) but I thought I could handle Portugal alone. Now, I'm not so sure about my long term prospects.

Kabouter

So, what's the strat for fighting off Europe as a Native? Cause I'm getting my shit pushed in.

I'm Iroquois, that giant green blob. I lost a chunk of Canada to Portugal in our first war and I'm like "okay, I can manage this." and Reformed off of France. A few years later, Portugal gets all up in my grill again, but this time they're bringing along Castille and Great Britain for the ride.

I was still reeling from the devastation of the last war (depleted manpower, only 30 units left) but I thought I could handle Portugal alone. Now, I'm not so sure about my long term prospects.

As I'm playing the Iroquois in a multiplayer game and am in the pre-Euro phase of things, I'd also like to know how this works for this version of CoP that doesn't have deeply exploitable bugs :p. Rather urgently :D.

Kabouter

Is it possible for a Native American tribe to convert religion? If so, how?

Yes, event. You have to get lucky though, and if you're as big as Haly is, it's going to suuuuuck, but you obviously still really want to to take out that awful colonial conquest casus belli.

Haly

Were I to do it all over again, I would not waste any time trying to conquer the Aztecs and Beeline for the West Coast instead.

I would also not try to engage Europe in any sort of conflict unless I'm Reformed at the very least.
Playing Iroquois is really fun though. I had 5 Colonies going at my peak so I was totally expanding Civ-style.

Haly

i52Rwyg2UP8vL.png

My rebels are beating back the British menace.

Go rebels!

(I've dismantled everything I have, colonies, fleets, troops, advisors, etc.)

Mr.Mike

XBa3u93.png

A while ago I talked about having single player challenges in EU4. I never really got around to it, until now!

The Hohenzollern's seem to be a bit confused. They are convinced that the large landmass they see on their map is Prussia! Obviously some silly cartographer has made a terrible spelling mistake. You have been tasked with correcting this egregious oversight.

THE RULES:
  1. You will play in Ironman Mode
  2. You will turn Random New World off
  3. You will start as Brandenburg in the very first bookmark (Rise of the Ottomans)
  4. You must form Prussia, and remain as Prussia.
  5. To complete the challenge you will hold every province that both Prussia and Russia hold in the December 31,1820 bookmark, including Alaska

The challenge will end May 1st, this should give the students among us our spring breaks and a bit of time after exams to complete the challenge. (I'll come up with a new challenge for the summer)

There will be three tiers of victors. Gold, Silver and Bronze.

Bronze: Complete the challenge
Silver: Complete the challenge and convert all of your provinces to Protestentism
Gold: Complete the challenge and convert all of your provinces to be Protestant and Prussian

Within each tier players will be ranked according to how quickly they completed the requirements of that tier (based on date within the game). Please post photographic proof of your accomplishments in this thread (you can press f11 to take a screenshot in-game).

Good Luck!

PS. If you have any comments, questions or concern's please voice them!

Haly

I was not ready for Westernization, holy shit.

ZZMitch

Interesting challenge, I happen to be playing as Brandenburg right now heh. But the way I play EU4, I am never going to complete that. I role play too much and thus never end up creating crazy empires like that :p

Haly

Welcome to...

igAdqWT1sm76U.png

...the United States of Shoshone!

Norway and England are my Allies. Zapotec and Maya were released during Westernization to take off some pressure and, after Westernizing, are being re-Cored. I have my sights set on Brunei and I'm also considering taking over what little territory Norway has. Creek is also another option. After that, I don't know. Might head south to pick a fight with Portugal/Castille, or maybe help liberate their Colonies.

Somehow, Japan has an assload of Trading Power in the Mexico node, which makes no sense whatsoever. I'd fight 'em but they're allied with Russia of all people.

Mr.Mike

Interesting challenge, I happen to be playing as Brandenburg right now heh. But the way I play EU4, I am never going to complete that. I role play too much and thus never end up creating crazy empires like that :p

It might be a bit too much to be honest. Other challenges will be easier.

I've been thinking that maybe a better thing to do instead of running challenges for only a certain amount of time is to leave them open ended. This way instead of trying to win an event we can compete to place higher on a leader-board maintained for each specific challenge. And this way we could have multiple challenges devised by various people.

ZZMitch

Wow, so 13 of us picked EU4 as our game of the year and it is the 3rd highest game on GAF by points per appearance... so proud! :p

Kabouter

Wow, so 13 of us picked EU4 as our game of the year and it is the 3rd highest game on GAF by points per appearance... so proud! :p

Nice :). Well-deserved praise if you ask me, easily the best release Paradox has ever done. I think I still find Victoria 2 to be a more impressive design, but its state at release really doesn't hold up favourably to EU4's launch.

nacimento

They really should create a title or government form for you when you create the real HRE. It sounds ridiculous to be the 'Archduke of the Holy Roman Empire'

Kabouter

They really should create a title or government form for you when you create the real HRE. It sounds ridiculous to be the 'Archduke of the Holy Roman Empire'

Or, you know, just use the existing 'empire' government form I guess, which only Byzantium has by default. (And I suppose some nations imported from CK2)

Haly

Maybe they'll make the hordes worth playing like they did for the Natives.

/salt

Just started EU4 for the first time after playing Victoria 2 for the past month. It really annoys me that they did away with the diplomatic points system in favour of the diplomat system (although I haven't played EU before so maybe it was always that way). Still navigating my way round the game, Victoria 2 feels a bit more simple and straightforward tbh.

Mr.Mike

Still navigating my way round the game, Victoria 2 feels a bit more simple and straightforward tbh.

That's an opinion I haven't heard before. I suspect that you'r simply not as used to EU4 yet as you are to Vic 2. EU4 certainly seems more friendly and easy to get into from my perspective.

So my colonial subject, Newfoundland, ended up getting its own protectorates. And if you declare war, you go to war with your colonial nation. Time to submit a bug report.

Top Bottom