• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europe gives Facebook, Twitter final warning on hate speech - CNN

avaya

Like Uber they should be allowed to do whatever they want.

It is amusing when it comes to the social media platforms.....when you become the de facto main stream media, and that is judged by advertising spend, the only objective benchmark, you should expect to have media regulation follow you.

Madness

You sound like those people who see the police running cameras to enforce the speed limit, and accuse them of doing it for the money. That level of ignorance of the entire role of government must surely be a pretence.

Speed cameras at lights have long shown to actually cause more driver hesitation, cause more speeding at yellows to beat the red, cause severe braking and potential for rear ends than actually stopping people running reds. I did a masisve study on this for my policing class as BC started to introduce them everywhere. They are sheer revenue collectors under the guise of safety. Everyone also knows when it is quota day and the radar cameras are out in force as well.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Just do humanity a favor and shut down both FB and Twitter all together.

Facebook has its uses still for photos and whatnot. On the other hand, I've had my account deactivated for ages. I do like knowing it's still there if I need it though.

Twitter can go though. Does WAY more harm than good. Burn it.

Facebook has its uses still for photos and whatnot. On the other hand, I've had my account deactivated for ages. I do like knowing it's still there if I need it though.

Twitter can go though. Does WAY more harm than good. Burn it.

Regardless of Facebook's benefits, it just isn't worth it now. Time to lock the doors.

Chao

So what does constitute hate speech exactly?

People say mean things to other people on Facebook and Twitter 24/7, but I don’t know where is the line drawn.
Does this mean creating a campaign against someone or just slurs and that kind of thing?

Morat

Banned
Consequences will be unavoidable if this goes through:

Yeah, not surprising coming form the Brookings institute, especially that dumb little dig at the shibboleth of left wing intolerance. The fact is societies have always regulated allowable speech, and even the US has limits, and rightfully so.

does the eu want to help pay for the moderation costs?

Hell no, do media organizations ask for money from the government to NOT run racial hate advertisements? No, they don't because allowing that is grossly irresponsible and should not be tolerated by a civilized society.

i mean they'd basically build a censored version for europeans because americans love their hate speech

it would be awkward seeing replies to posts that got censored in your region

avaya

I believe the initial proposed fines were in the region of EUR50m per day, so about EUR18.25 billion / USD20billion per year. Not too shabby at all.

The Wart

You sound like those people who see the police running cameras to enforce the speed limit, and accuse them of doing it for the money. That level of ignorance of the entire role of government must surely be a pretence.

Um. Police absolutely do that and related practices. Do you think the incentives of government officials perfectly align with the public good?

That said, I see no reason to believe that the primary motivation in this case is revenue.

Dascu

The proposals are actually not great and will likely lead more to overzealous content removal and filtering, especially copyrighted stuff. Basically DMCA on overdrive.

I expect a lot of NGOs, digital rights groups and leftwing parties to be opposed.

By the way, new tax rules are incoming, focused on revenue rather than profit.

Nephtes

If we take away the racist bigot's ability to spout racist/bigoted things on social media, how will I know who to hate/dislike?

I don't like racists, obviously... But I want to know who they are so I can know to dislike them. Social media lets them out themselves and all the people who agree with them. And if social media is forced to delete these people's hateful words, it's like the hateful words they said didn't exist...and were wiped from the record.

No. These words should be draped around these people's necks like an albatross. Forever following them so good people know not to hire them, associate with them, or have any business with them.

I would hate to accidentally like a racist person because no one let them espouse their racism.

Pyrokai

Get fucked, Twitter and Facebook.

Will this ripple effect into the US market as well?

Europe does what US don't.

Bronx-Man

Banned
It’s gross as hell that it took this long for Silicon Valley to actually do something about online harassment. None of these billionaire dorks could give less of a shit until someone tells them it’s coming out of their pockets.

If we take away the racist bigot's ability to spout racist/bigoted things on social media, how will I know who to hate/dislike?

I don't like racists, obviously... But I want to know who they are so I can know to dislike them. Social media lets them out themselves and all the people who agree with them. And if social media is forced to delete these people's hateful words, it's like the hateful words they said didn't exist...and were wiped from the record.

No. These words should be draped around these people's necks like an albatross. Forever following them so good people know not to hire them, associate with them, or have any business with them.

I would hate to accidentally like a racist person because no one let them espouse their racism.

Any sane person would argue that the dignity and physical integrity of people, groups and ethnics are more worth to protect than whatever nonsense that post is.

Get fucked, Twitter and Facebook.

Will this ripple effect into the US market as well?

Europe does what US don't.

Republicans are not going to allow facebook and twitter to go down, they're the online equivalent of fox news for them, they play a vital role in their strategy.

Hari Seldon

The age of big international internet services coming to an end? It is hard to run something as big as twitter or facebook on human moderation I would assume.

Nephtes

Any sane person would argue that the dignity and physical integrity of people, groups and ethnics are more worth to protect than whatever nonsense that post is.

On the contrary, I've gotten rid of several friends recently because their recent social media postings allowed me to discern they were actually racist pieces of shit all along, in the closet about it.

PJV3

It's becoming a business and a way for nations to fuck with each other, if it was just normal people I would have more faith in rational thought winning out.

fanboi

Banned
It’s not strictly about social good. The EU sense another way of extracting revenue from the US, a la Google/Microsoft, so are just prepping the ground for some ‘fines’.

Follow the law dont get fine.

It is nor hard.

Oh and they fined Scania a couple of days ago.

Facebook when posting hate speech:
latest

When posting a bare breast:
RnwiH4R.jpg

entremet

The age of big international internet services coming to an end? It is hard to run something as big as twitter or facebook on human moderation I would assume.

It's impossible. You're talking about billions of post per day per platform. It would have to be algorithmic.

Cipherr

I dont always agree with every decision the EU makes, but Godspeed on this right here. Goddamn the rest of the world is so apathetic and spineless in regards to this shit that its crazy.

No more warnings after this hopefully. Just fine these fuckers into goddamn dust if they fail to reign this shit in.

On the contrary, I've gotten rid of several friends recently because their recent social media postings allowed me to discern they were actually racist pieces of shit all along, in the closet about it.

You wouldn't need hate speech level content to find out that they are racist.

Top Bottom