• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

European Sales Thread (w/e 19th May) - Spiderman 3 & Cooking Mama Domination!

GhaleonEB

Nolan. said:
To be fair though even if it did crash completley out of the charts after the beta. Given the fluctuation it's been having in the charts out of it's presence few games achieve that kind of stability and even fewer for new IP's. So it wouldn't be completely shameful.
I'm a proponant of the theory that the Halo 3 Beta helped, but Crackdown's success has more to do with the demo (initially) and the quality of the game itself.

When Microsoft announced the Crackdown DLC, the PR said Crackdown had sold 900,000 copies in the first two months world-wide. Nearly every one of those copies had access to Crackdown (nearly 600,000 in the US alone). I've been keeping an eye on the Bungie.net stats for Halo 3, and in particular how many unique users played it in each 24-hour window. So far it's never been higher than 400k, and that was the first full day the Beta was available. I have to think that if people bought the game for the Beta, they'd play in the first few days.

At any rate - I think this particular bump is due to the Beta's release, and that the overall success of Crackdown is due to...Crackdown.

something interessting about the horse- and petsgames for the DS:

the german ones like Meine Tierpension (Link), Meine Tierarztpraxis (Paws & Claws: Pet Vet in the US, Link) or the Pferd & Pony Series (Link), which all are developed by IAS (Independent Arts Software) and published by dtp, are made by Manfred Trenz who is known for Turrican and Denaris/Katakis (C64).

Cooking Mama!!! Wow. Who would have thought she's that popular in Britain. They must truly hate spotted dick over there that they are yearning for better food, even in thier games.

nli10

tocotronic said:

the german ones like Meine Tierpension (Link), Meine Tierarztpraxis (Paws & Claws: Pet Vet in the US, Link) or the Pferd & Pony Series (Link), which all are developed by IAS (Independent Arts Software) and published by dtp, are made by Manfred Trenz who is known for Turrican and Denaris/Katakis (C64).

Ich mochte Teil einer Jugendbewegung sein... :D (I found my old Tocotronic T-shirt the just recently!)

Nice find - man I loved Turrican back in the day - wonder if this is the pony friends UK game too?

titiklabingapat said:
Cooking Mama!!! Wow. Who would have thought she's that popular in Britain. They must truly hate spotted dick over there that they are yearning for better food, even in thier games.

I love spotted dick and ***gots.

Good for you cooking mama.

I think Crackdown marketing will start a trend (Halo 3 beta). It was a brilliant idea.

I'd be really surprised if a game doesn't come with a beta key for the Gears of War 2 beta next year. :) Crackdown 2 maybe?

This will happen on the PS3 too...maybe for Killzone 2.

Are they combining sales for DS cooking Mama and Wii cooking mama? Aren't they two different games? The Wii version is not the same game as the DS version, is it?

mj1108

GhaleonEB said:
To be fair, that is probably why it got the 11-spot jump this week. Now those people can discover the real game when the Beta is over.

On a related note, it will be interesting to see how far Crackdown crashes when the Beta is over.

I'm guessing lots of used copies at EB/GS/eBay.

tocotronic said:

Wait, what? That's funny, I loved Turrican on the C64. Maybe I have to take a a look at these games :lol .

jimbo

Banned
11 4 HALO 3 BETA + FREE CRACKDOWN BUNGIE MICROSOFT MICROSOFT

:lol @ those that said Halo isn't that big in Europe

Spin: "But UK is an island, therefore not part of Europe! Oh and none of my European friends have one and they really don't like Microsoft or the Xbox.....Cheerio's on South Main st in Luxemburg got 6 units at launch and they still have 7 left!" ;)

23 15 GEARS OF WAR EPIC GAMES MICROSOFT MICROSOFT

Hardware spike confirmed! I can only imagine what's going to happen this fall when both Halo 3 and GTA4 hit. Obviously there's a lot of Halo 2 players that have not made the jump yet.

Rlan

Cars is still making so much money for THQ, and Ratatouille will do the same this year. They must be just sitting on wads and wads of cash right now.

Go Sonic Rush Go Sonic Rush Go!

jimbo said:

Spin: "But UK is an island, therefore not part of Europe! Oh and none of my European friends have one and they really don't like Microsoft or the Xbox.....Cheerio's on South Main st in Luxemburg got 6 units at launch and they still have 7 left!" ;)

Hardware spike confirmed! I can only imagine what's going to happen this fall when both Halo 3 and GTA4 hit. Obviously there's a lot of Halo 2 players that have not made the jump yet.
yeah MASSIVE sales spike!
You do realise that Gears is given away with just about EVERY single 360 sold in the UK.
So if its getting only where it gets, thats not great!!
Wii play sales would be indicitive of new hardware sales as it s the best option of buying a second controller

Second page and no post yet about PS3 software sales doing better than Wii software sales while dismissing Wii Play? It just doesn't feel right. :`(

jimbo said:

Well sorry to burst your bubble, but here in Germany it's not popular at all. That may well change with Halo 3, who knows.

UK is a PART of Europe, no one would deny that. That doesn't mean that UK is representative for the rest of Europe though.

jimbo

Banned
DefectiveReject said:
You do realise that Gears is given away with just about EVERY single 360 sold in the UK.
Wii play sales would be indicitive of new hardware sales as it s the best option of buying a second controller

So in other words you agree with what I just said. :lol

jimbo

Banned
Phife Dawg said:
Well sorry to burst your bubble, but here in Germany it's not popular at all. That may well change with Halo 3, who knows.

UK is a PART of Europe, no one would deny that. That doesn't mean that UK is representative for the rest of Europe though.

Of course it wouldn't be in Germany. The system's #1 game is not sold there. Shock and Awe. Truly.

Oh and if the largest European market is not indicative of Europe....then nothing is. Including Germany.

Edit: Or should I say, especially Germany. And Halo 3 will probably not change anything there either....some German senator will probably decide to pass a law that bans it a month before it comes out.

jimbo said:
Of course it wouldn't be in Germany. The system's #1 game is not sold there. Shock and Awe. Truly.

Oh and if the largest European market is not indicative of Europe....then nothing is. Including Germany.

Edit: Or should I say, especially Germany. And Halo 3 will probably not change anything there either....some German senator will probably decide to pass a law that bans it a month before it comes out.
It's not the largest european market, maybe for videogames excluding PC, dunno. And it's not only Germany, you have France, Spain and Italy as well. From what we know XBox, be it 360 or the original one doesn't fair to well in either of these markets, meaning Halo is probably not that popular as well. Since I don't live there I don't feel inclined to comment on that. But maybe you could shed some light? You seem to be well informed.

In the end if anything, UK is the exception of the rule and not vice-versa. That wouldn't fit your agenda of course.

And what does have GoW to do with all of that? Your claim was that Halo is indeed popular in Europe. Seeing that Halo hasn't even been released on 360 I don't get your point. If Halo was popular wouldn't people have bought a XBox in the first place?

Like I said Halo 3 may turn it around-who knows. But I know your bold claim of Halo being popular around Europe is just that-a bold claim.

Oh and if you don't know how our political system works you should refrain from commenting on it.
some German senator will probably decide to pass a law that bans it a month before it comes out
There is so much wrong in this sentence that I just let it stand for itself :lol. I guess you're from the US?

farnham

Banned
Gears and Crackdown arent flat out banned in Germany

The USK is a self controlling corporate.. its no intervention from the government..

The reason why USK was so harsh on Gears and Crackdown was because of a regional (bavaria) minister that wanted to ban videogames.. His claims were not accepted in the federal government though....

So yeah.. bad timing thats all..

ANd even if you cant get those games through major chains.. small shops do sell them.. it did hurt the sales of those titles no doubt.. but you still can buy em..

Hammer24

Banned
farnham said:
ANd even if you cant get those games through major chains.. small shops do sell them.. it did hurt the sales of those titles no doubt.. but you still can buy em..

Exactly. MS decided, to not officially publish Gears in germany, because they wouldn´t have been allowed to do any marketing for the game.
Every single online retailer here sold it, the austrian or UK version to be precise. And they sold boatloads of them.
So, I wouldn´t flat out deny that Halo will be big here. Take the preorder pack (with invite to the Beta included) from Amazon.de as an example, thats in their Top20 for many weeks now.

farnham

Banned
Hammer24 said:
Exactly. MS decided, to not officially publish Gears in germany, because they wouldn´t have been allowed to do any marketing for the game.
Every single online retailer here sold it, the austrian or UK version to be precise. And they sold boatloads of them.
So, I wouldn´t flat out deny that Halo will be big here. Take the preorder pack (with invite to the Beta included) from Amazon.de as an example, thats in their Top20 for many weeks now.
well the 360 isnt really selling well in germany though.. i wouldnt say the situation is worse then with the original Xbox.. but its not looking very good..

Haunted

farnham said:
well the 360 isnt really selling well in germany though.. i wouldnt say the situation is worse then with the original Xbox.. but its not looking very good..

what's the 360 LTD in Germany so far - 262k?

I'm sure Halo will be the best-selling game for the console by far, it's the premier title after all - both in US and Europe. But Europe's numbers will definitely pale in comparison to the US (absolute and more importantly, %-wise), so one shouldn't expect anything of similar magnitude.

nli10 said:
If you are in the UK & want to get a Wii before the summer either go out and pre-order one with the game this week or try your luck on Friday. Nintendo have sent out so many more units than usual this weekend is your best chance!

Expect a sales based press release next monday too - that Nintendo PR guy knows how to get the forums to light up at just the right times - hopefully with some more games anouncements too!

Keep an eye on argos too, my mates seem to have got lucky at argos. Alough there is no games out yet imho so the being short of supply means people arnt missing much.

Rocked

marc^o^ said:
Mario Striker is going to be a massive hit in Europe: soccer + online + Mario + good TV ad + few competition + on Wii = crazy sales.

I hope the ad for Mario Strikers pushes the online play. Anyone seen it yet?

verplant

Hammer24 said:
Found it:

Xbox 360: 262.000
Wii: 220.000
PS3: 70.500

April numbers:
Wii: 20.000
PS3: 16.000 (down from 54500 in the launch week)
X360: 9500

Very bad PS3 sales... hey thats week #2-#5 after launch!!!

At this rate, it will took 2 and a half years for the ps3 to meet the xbox 360...

GhaleonEB

verplant said:
Very bad PS3 sales... hey thats week #2-#5 after launch!!!

At this rate, it will took 2 and a half years for the ps3 to meet the xbox 360...
And since the 16k was probably front-loaded, coming off of launch, it most likely was selling pretty close to the 360 later in the month. I do hope we get May figures, should be interesting.

jimbo said:

WTF? Why the hell should the UK be indicative for sales in other european countries? Does X360 sell well in the UK? Yes. Does X360 sell well in the rest of Europe? No. Indicative = no. Did Xbox sell well in the UK? Yes (atleast sort of). Did Xbox sell well in the rest of Europe? No. You do get it?

There are no senators in Germany and neither Halo 3 nor GoW will be banned/are banned.

DefectiveReject said:

Since Gears is showing up in the Full Price list isnt that indictive that some actually bought Gears rather than got it free with a 360.

Prine

Banned
Phife Dawg said:

UK makes up like 50 percent of the european market. Sales there are much bigger than both France and Germany combined (according to ELSPA)

jimbo

Banned
Phife Dawg said:
It's not the largest european market, maybe for videogames excluding PC, dunno. And it's not only Germany, you have France, Spain and Italy as well. From what we know XBox, be it 360 or the original one doesn't fair to well in either of these markets, meaning Halo is probably not that popular as well. Since I don't live there I don't feel inclined to comment on that. But maybe you could shed some light? You seem to be well informed.

In the end if anything, UK is the exception of the rule and not vice-versa. That wouldn't fit your agenda of course.

And what does have GoW to do with all of that? Your claim was that Halo is indeed popular in Europe. Seeing that Halo hasn't even been released on 360 I don't get your point. If Halo was popular wouldn't people have bought a XBox in the first place?

Like I said Halo 3 may turn it around-who knows. But I know your bold claim of Halo being popular around Europe is just that-a bold claim.

Oh and if you don't know how our political system works you should refrain from commenting on it.

There is so much wrong in this sentence that I just let it stand for itself :lol. I guess you're from the US?

1. We are talking about videogames, so naturally I'm talking about the UK being the largest videogame market in Europe. And while the 360 is not doing as well in Germany, France and/or Italy, we also don't know if it's doing good or bad in all the other territories outside of those few countries. We have data for a lot less European countries, compared to the ones that we don't have data. And saying it's doing bad in the rest of Europe because of those three countries, is the same as me saying it's doing good in Europe because of the UK. The fact is it's doing good in some countries, and doing bad in others. But at least it's doing good in the LARGEST market.

2. Uhm....you must have missed the whole point. The reason why Crackdown has jumped 8 spots is because of the Halo 3 Beta(It comes with the game). The reason GOW has jumped 8 spots is also because of the people buying 360's for the Halo 3 beta that are getting a second game(naturally GOW being the biggest), and as some people sugested, since the game is given away with the console, that WOULD imply the Halo 3 beta is causing a hardware spike. And it's a BETA. Unless MS just decided to start re-marketing of GOW last week.

3. I live in the US. I was born in Europe and that was a joke. However the real story is this: the GERMAN version of ESRB refuses to rate those games. Since MS's policy is to NOT realease a game anywhere that has not been rated, they have effectively stopped MS from releasing it. Just without actually calling it banned. It's ALL POLITICS.

jimbo

Banned
DefectiveReject said:
No as outside of the top ten your looking at a few thousand sales at best

Well I never stated massive or any kind of quantity. I just said the Halo 3 beta looks to be causing a spike in hardware sales. I don't know how much. But if a BETA of Halo 3 can make games like Crackdown and GOW jump 8 spots....imagine what Halo 3 will do.

Parl

GhaleonEB said:
And since the 16k was probably front-loaded, coming off of launch, it most likely was selling pretty close to the 360 later in the month. I do hope we get May figures, should be interesting.

Don't say things like that. It's bad logic according to spinwolf and f_c some members.

Arsenal

Do the brits hate guitars or something?

I don't understand how GH2 hasn't been the 360 top 20 chart for weeks now.

nli10

spwolf talking about Wii Play sales being similar to Wii hardware sales said:
:D

not really, according to history :)

Yup - on weeks where we know the hardware sales and Wii Play sales Wii play was around 3/5ths of the Wii hardware that week. Wii is managing 15,000 units a week no problem on this kind of evidence. This next week will be 30k minimum, as will the following one.

Tyrannical said:
Are they combining sales for DS cooking Mama and Wii cooking mama? Aren't they two different games? The Wii version is not the same game as the DS version, is it?

Different games combined for some reason. DS is outselling Wii at least 4:1 (CT haven't published the ratios but you can compare the charts for the budget title DS one and the fact that it's only number 7 or 8 on Wii).

Arsenal said:
Do the brits hate guitars or something?

I don't understand how GH2 hasn't been the 360 top 20 chart for weeks now.

Yup - We hate guitars - 4/6 weeks delivery time on Amazon UK and 1p lower than the RRP...

Xzbeat

Prine said:
UK makes up like 50 percent of the european market. Sales there are much bigger than both France and Germany combined (according to ELSPA)
Not anymore. I remember Nintendo stating they sold 2.8m DSes in France not long ago when there were about 3.2m DSes in the UK.

The UK were big 3/4 years ago but Nintendo changed the market. Animal Crossing sold better in France than in the UK and Brain Age sold more in both Germany and France than in the uK.

The market have changed. UK != Europe now.

jimbo said:
1. We are talking about videogames, so naturally I'm talking about the UK being the largest videogame market in Europe. And while the 360 is not doing as well in Germany, France and/or Italy, we also don't know if it's doing good or bad in all the other territories outside of those few countries. We have data for a lot less European countries, compared to the ones that we don't have data. And saying it's doing bad in the rest of Europe because of those three countries, is the same as me saying it's doing good in Europe because of the UK. The fact is it's doing good in some countries, and doing bad in others. But at least it's doing good in the LARGEST market.

2. Uhm....you must have missed the whole point. The reason why Crackdown has jumped 8 spots is because of the Halo 3 Beta(It comes with the game). The reason GOW has jumped 8 spots is also because of the people buying 360's for the Halo 3 beta that are getting a second game(naturally GOW being the biggest), and as some people sugested, since the game is given away with the console, that WOULD imply the Halo 3 beta is causing a hardware spike. And it's a BETA. Unless MS just decided to start re-marketing of GOW last week.

3. I live in the US. I was born in Europe and that was a joke. However the real story is this: the GERMAN version of ESRB refuses to rate those games. Since MS's policy is to NOT realease a game anywhere that has not been rated, they have effectively stopped MS from releasing it. Just without actually calling it banned. It's ALL POLITICS.
1. Well we're talking video games here and games for PC are video games in my book. But it's semantics anyways. We can discuss video game consoles solely, no big deal. Those three countries you refer to are in addition certainly bigger than the UK market and those 4 are the biggest markets overall in Europe anyways-and by a good margin as well.

So XBox not doing good in any of those three markets is a good indicator of its overall success I'd say. Whereas your point is that when it's popular in the UK, it must be popular in the whole of Europe. This is kind of flawed when the XBox brand failed in most major markets.

2. That's a lot of assumptions and you're talking strictly UK here. Your point was that Halo is popular in the whole of Europe. I ask you again: Why did people not buy XBoxes in droves if Halo was so popular? I'm not debating that Halo 3 might give the whole franchise a boost. I already stated that twice.

Can we be sure of that? Not really. Taking the german hardware sales numbers the "get a 360 and a couple of games for 300,- €" promotion during the PS3 launch didn't do anything too dramatic for 360. We've yet to see if Halo 3 can turn that around. There's no certainty here.

3. Even if it was meant to be funny, it just showed your complete lack of information regarding even the basics of the german political system. I just called you out on that.

USK has nothing to do with politics at all. The word "Selbstkontrolle" (self-monitoring) should reveal that.

Hammer24

Banned
A couple more charts, as posted by Kotaku:

GERMANY

1) Two Worlds
2) SingStar Pop Hits
3) Harvest Moon DS
4) Brain Training
5) Spiderman 3
6) Final Fantasy III
7) C&C 3
8) Diddy Kong Racing
9) LotR Online
10) Pokemon Ranger

SPAIN

1) God of War II
2) God of War II Special Edition
3) Pokemon Ranger
4) Spiderman 3
5) Brain Training
6) English Training
7) Wii Play
8) Pro Evo 6
9) Pro Evo 6 Platinum
10) Animal Crossing DS

ITALY

1) Spiderman 3
2) God of War II
3) Pokemon Ranger
4) God of War II Special Edition
5) DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 2
6) Brain Training
7) SBK 07 Superbike World Championship
8) Spiderman 3
9) Spiderman 3
10) Pro Evo 6

No word, which version was which on Spidey Italy.

Top Bottom