• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurovision Preseason 2017... anyone? (gifs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
So this is apparently the German entry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCwH8FlmovQ ?

Entirely forgettable.
I saw bits of the show yesterday and the way they do it is just awful. They had 5 formerly unknown contestants, all pretty forgettable. And then they sang some already determined song in different versions. I didn't like any of it and I think they should give the whole process to someone else, because they are apparently trying to create some sort of casting show throwaway pop artist.
I didn't even watch until the end.

Nerazar

I saw bits of the show yesterday and the way they do it is just awful. They had 5 formerly unknown contestants, all pretty forgettable. And then they sang some already determined song in different versions. I didn't like any of it and I think they should give the whole process to someone else, because they are apparently trying to create some sort of casting show throwaway pop artist.
I didn't even watch until the end.

I miss those times...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJgszpNj7dY

caramac

Used to have a lot more till minus killed them

itdqu0pvrbfip3sgh.gif

isppeuxbh4c33qqpoi.gif

ii9rgi1doivihn4s6f.gif

i2e2pngzwiobasnp68.gif

Apzu

Love Love Peace Peace was the best song last year, but they cheated having more people than allowed on stage. And where are the new gifs? Sure there has not been something too crazy lately, but it's not like everything was plain normal.

There was the air violin,
NPhPOsf.gif

The wheel,
QS2nC70.gif

and the naked guy with the wolf who couldn't perform naked in the end
W9WXmrS.gif

Anyway, I'm waiting to see what will be Portugal's entry and I hope it's something that can get to the finals. Get Ana Moura to sing something or a brazilian singer, in a Celine Dion kind of thing.

Tugatrix

Apzu

This year the pool of songs is made by some of the best Portuguese musicians, so expect boring and serious

even this very talented guy is composing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5STwfCs6g4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2yzRRSR4C0
Ugh :/ Don't go with boring, please, you can be serious just not boring.

I liked both songs you linked and I'll listen to more of his songs later, but it would be sad to have a portuguese entry in english. Spain went with an english song last year and it didn't work, they placed even worse than in 2015. It's not worth it to change the language just to try and win, be yourself Portugal don't let them bully you into singing in english.

Slovenian entry will be selected next weekend on a three day event - two semifinals and a grand finale

I'm very perched, Evrovizijska Melodija is an underrated national final. I love that Raiven is competing again, "Črno bel" was one of my favorite songs of last year's preseason and would have been great to see on the main stage. Some vets, lots of songs, and RTV Slovenija's willingness to experiment suggest good things.

Germany vs UK to get last position is going to be thrilling. Do we have the format of last year with half jury half audience for each country?

It's the same format as last year, which is different than the older system of half/half; each country has the full 1-12 points for the jury and 1-12 points for the televote, so there are twice as many points as before. They're planning on doing the same system of having the country representatives read the jury-only votes, then the host/s announcing the overall televote totals in reverse order. The EBU got good feedback from participating countries and fans last year with the system.

Oersted

True. ;(

But now they just try to shove lifeless songs into our ears. Reproducing Lena is not possible, Germany needs something else.

#Rammsteinforwhateverthenextcityis

He was also responsible for Lena and one or two other candidates who did much better and were just better artists and personalities.

Max "Oh no, he is closing his eyes" Mutzke and some bloke whos name escaped me. Both 8th place.

Tugatrix

Ugh :/ Don't go with boring, please, you can be serious just not boring.

I liked both songs you linked and I'll listen to more of his songs later, but it would be sad to have a portuguese entry in english. Spain went with an english song last year and it didn't work, they placed even worse than in 2015. It's not worth it to change the language just to try and win, be yourself Portugal don't let them bully you into singing in english.

Tha musician later started to edit in portuguese, let see what he comes up with

hazukash

Melfest: I liked Benjamin's song, but it's not a Eurovision winner. Mariette's got this in the bag, at least when it comes to this second semifinal. I still think Loreen will win in the end.

kulapik

This is the song that Spain is sending

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR7-mzrjiiQ

Not bad, though the election show was a mess, the two main candidates tied up and the jury had to break the tie, and chose the one that people voted for, so of course they were really angry, the audience shouting and heckling the singer and the host... a goddamn mess.

Apzu

This is the song that Spain is sending

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR7-mzrjiiQ

Not bad, though the election show was a mess, the two main candidates tied up and the jury had to break the tie, and chose the one that people voted for, so of course they were really angry, the audience shouting and heckling the singer and the host... a goddamn mess.
Which is the eurovision version, english or spanish?

Edit:
WTF Spain, Mirela had a better song. Besides, why should the jury be the ones to break the tie? It should have gone to the one the people chose. Oh, and he's such a good sport...

H71kDLT.gif

Spain has been close to German-tier disaster status recently, so I'm not really surprised. The winning song is stunningly bad. :(

Sanremo just finished!

Here's Italy's pick!

Sanremo was great again this year. This is no Eurovision winner but it'll be a fun performance and it's a welcome change from most of the chosen songs so far.

Melfest: I liked Benjamin's song, but it's not a Eurovision winner. Mariette's got this in the bag, at least when it comes to this second semifinal. I still think Loreen will win in the end.

G:son hasn't been good in a decade, it's super frustrating that his boring stuff is wasted on someone as interesting as Mariette. Benjamin is more annoying to me than most of the young male teenie bopper stuff Christer throws at the audience every year (Frans, Eric Saade, Oscar Zia, etc.). Can't deny he's a good dancer and his performance was on point, though.

Dismissed was really surprising to me, I liked it a lot despite not usually being a fan of ESC drag act attempts. Ola Salo's power, apparently.

Italy never disappoints. Ever since their return, there's been only one entry I didn't like, and that was the one that was so controversial because it won the popular vote but was overruled by the jury.

Spain has been close to German-tier disaster status recently, so I'm not really surprised. The winning song is stunningly bad. :(

Spain is a lot more hit or miss, while Germany just always is straight up bad. That said, I've checked back in the past few years up to 2010, and I liked everything starting with 2012, and thought Barei last year was especially a highlight out of the recent Spanish entries. Meanwhile, I only liked Lena's songs in 2010/2011, and funnily enough 2015's 0 point disaster Black Smoke.

That said, this year's Spanish entry is a bit too... generic for me. Not a fan of it. It seems like Eurovision is just going this direction where almost everything is just generic smush of pop songs, especially if they also come with an impressive stage show.
I miss the mid to late 2000s that were kicked off by Ruslana winning, with all the novelty and folky entries.

oti

Banned
Italy gets the language bonus, otherwise the song isn't that great. But the dude seems charismatic and people like Italian. Still not a winning song though.

Spain is TERRIBLE.

Wait a minute.

Is the UK the best song out of the Big 5 this year? It's not amazing by any means but still. Germany is forgettable, Spain is downright bad, France sounds weird live and Italy while charming isn't even trying to be a typical Eurovision song.

jcjimher

The version of Spain's song that will go to Kiev is not the one posted, but this one (with the verses in Spanish):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzHeBKgiILg

I think it sounds a bit better this way, and is a decent song, much better than UK and Germany this year...and much worse than France and, specially, ITALY. Which I would bet to win the contest right now (if I betted).

I'm pumped! But not too excited for our/germanies entry. Its super generic. Still love Eurovision! Last year was super boring though, people need to get more creative.

30 second snippets from semifinal 1 and semifinal 2 of the Slovenian national final. A few OK-ish songs.

sounds like I'm going to like Raiven again this year...

Also Imri Ziv will represent Israel and the gays are rejoicing:

Hopefully he gets a good song. His voice is actually pretty good and despite Israel being one of the few countries that probably can't win currently for political reasons (along with Russia), dude is a natural performer and could probably make the finals.

Keep in mind that Sanremo has a live orchestra, so the version performed at Eurovision will have a backing track and likely sound more "poppy" like the music video. It's a cute song but you can tell how anxious Eurofans are because of how crazy they're going for it. The Amir comparisons don't really work.

For me, Finland's is still the best by a very wide margin of the songs selected thus far, but all of the heavy hitters still need to pick.

oti

Banned
Keep in mind that Sanremo has a live orchestra, so the version performed at Eurovision will have a backing track and likely sound more "poppy" like the music video. It's a cute song but you can tell how anxious Eurofans are because of how crazy they're going for it. The Amir comparisons don't really work.

For me, Finland's is still the best by a very wide margin of the songs selected thus far, but all of the heavy hitters still need to pick.

"cute" is the best way to put it. Nice radio song, even here in Germany.

Greece will save us.

If Demy lets us down I'm blaming oti tbh

Greece hosted a fun show last time, I wouldn't mind them winning again (if they can handle the cost)

just please no Sakis Rouvas hosting :(

a lot of stuff happened Saturday and Latvia chooses in a few hours but

WHEW

my girl Raiven killed it

queen of Slovenia

If that trash BQL (pronounced, I shit you not, "Be Cool") gets voted in I swear to god I hope the EBU kicks the slovenes out

Nika would be fine and Nuška Drašček has a good voice but I need Raiven to win this as the Nordic countries are letting me down this year outside of Finland and Iceland's Svala Björgvinsdóttir

DrM

Redmond's Baby
If that trash BQL (pronounced, I shit you not, "Be Cool") gets voted in I swear to god I hope the EBU kicks the slovenes out

Nika would be fine and Nuška Drašček has a good voice but I need Raiven to win this as the Nordic countries are letting me down this year outside of Finland and Iceland's Svala Björgvinsdóttir
Raiven got robbed last year. Without any doubt. But this years song is weaker IMO

There is a catch that on each semifinals two songs were selected by voting and two by jury. And we have no idea which was selected by whom. I think that BQL and Kores were selected by voting, Raiven and Drašček by jury.

I have a strange feeling that Tim Kores could be a people's favorite (he is good looking so chicks will vote for him plus he is a host on third biggest radio station), but we will see next Friday.
Oh, BQL is a product of Maraaya and I think that tells you enough. Cannot stand those two (talking about Maraaya), because I know a lot of (quite dirty) background stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom