• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurovision Song Contest 2015 |OT| Austro-Australovision

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I'm definitely considering Hungary as the dark horse for this year. I think it has the power behind it that drove Conchita's win, particular in the context of Orban.

yeah the niamh kavanagh song is great... and the chorus sounds eerily similar to another Swede-penned ballad from that same year, didrik solli-tangen's "My Heart Is Yours" for Norway

with Ireland I think many saw Jedward as sort of Eurovision outsiders that didn't really fit in, and sending them twice was kind of a turnoff :/

Tash

Oh hey, Switzerland has a somewhat decent and typical Eurovision entry for once, at least it doesn't want me to change passport for the event..still, probably not going to get into the final. Ah well, tons of other cool stuff to fangirl for.

Oh also, wtg Australia: very catchy fitting guest entry <3

Kabouter

Oh hey, Switzerland has a somewhat decent and typical Eurovision entry for once, at least it doesn't want me to change passport for the event..still, probably not going to get into the final. Ah well, tons of other cool stuff to fangirl for.

Oh also, wtg Australia: very catchy fitting guest entry <3

If the quality of Eurovision entries determined citizenship, I don't know if there would even be any Dutch people left since we had like a decade of not making it to the finals until two years ago.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know why we let Switzerland compete. Australia co-operates more with Europe than you guys do.

jk, love you

Tash

If the quality of Eurovision entries determined citizenship, I don't know if there would even be any Dutch people left since we had like a decade of not making it to the finals until two years ago.

Aww, lets be Eurovision-loser-buddies <3
I live in Norway though, so at least I can choose to fangirl for one or the other :p (The Norwegian entry is way too pretentious for Eurovision, though. It's a super nice song in its own merit but just not Eurovision material imo). Not cheesy enough (except the lets-sing-back-to-back-part :p

I don't know why we let Switzerland compete. Australia co-operates more with Europe than you guys do.

jk, love you

We are the most social country in this thing. We keep on participating so you have someone to give zero points to. If that's not selfless and team-spirit, I don't know what is :p

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

Sorry, but you obviously missed the point of eurovision.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Or you missed my sarcasm ;)

And you missed mine. So we are even I guess :p
What I tried to say is that Eurovision is about being utterly ashamed of whoever you send ;)

Then you realize Ireland sent a singing Turkey and suddenly nobody cares about your own countries stupid song.

Tash

And you missed mine. So we are even I guess :p
What I tried to say is that Eurovision is about being utterly ashamed of whoever you send ;)

Then you realize Ireland sent a singing Turkey and suddenly nobody cares about your own countries stupid song.

Oh, yup, totally misinterpreted your comment. Totally on the same page for this. In that regard, DJ Bobo was our best entry ever :p At least he gave us something to be ashamed about: the tackier = the better

Strax

Iceland might have to withdraw from Eurovision because the Notary public (might be bad phrasing on my end) may be on strike at the time.

kottila

Iceland might have to withdraw from Eurovision because the Notary public (might be bad phrasing on my end) may be on strike at the time.

Who cares if its notarized, it's just the eurovision
norway needs their nordic points

Why would that cause them to withdraw? Even if the public can't vote won't they just use the national jury?

It's the other way around; the jury's votes have to be notarized. This is usually done by notaries from the Reykjavik District Commissioner's office, who are on strike.

There have been suggestions that other notaries could perform the necessary duties, though, and the Icelandic Head of Delegation said it won't affect their participation at all.

Spyware

Inför Eurovision is finally here :D
Didn't like the panel this year (why Saade? Gah) but the biggest disappointment was that the song from Macedonia that was my absolute fav will apparently be sung in english :( It's still good, but it's always something else when it's the original language.

glaurung

If Australia wins, do they have to organize the thing next year?
Don't worry, they won't win. Most countries will forget to include them in the voting tables anyway.

Also, I really dislike the fact that Estonia might win again. I am from Estonia.

Spyware

If Australia wins, do they have to organize the thing next year?
I just learned from Inför Eurovision that they "allied" with Germany (they had to ally with a european network to be able to participate) and Germany will host the thing together with Australia if they win.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Bets placed
got a couple quid on Australia, Estonia and Albania to win/each way

It's all so awful. Buisness as usual i guess.

Disappointed that Australia sent someone with such a generic song. They could have dominated this with a breeze of fresh air from Down Under.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Some of my favourites now we're two weeks away:

Denmark- It won't win, will probably do quite middling, but it's a very happy enjoyable song

Norway- Probably not "Eurovision" enough to secure victory, reminds me of "Calm After The Storm" last year in that respect. Really great song though.

Sweden- Everyone loves this atm, I think it may peak too early and pull an Aram mp3 on us

Ireland- I love Molly, she's such a great singer-songwriter, but I fear this will get lost in the sea of female soloists this year. Hopefully I'm proven wrong, but Ireland deserves a place in the final this year

Austria- Again, it's very "different" from the norm, and will probably not get many votes because its a little too mellow, but I suppose they needed to make a big change from Conchita, and this certainly is that.

Belgium- My dark horse atm, it's very catchy and I could see it doing a lot better than some people suspect, depends on how it's staged

United Kingdom- It's grown on me hideously, I think it all comes down to the staging, and if Alex can figure out what to do on stage when he's not singing

Iceland- Very much in the vein of Emille, but it's catchy as all hell

Russia- I almost feel like if anyone else was singing this song it would be a shoe-in, but because of Russia acting up recently....it's iffy

Australia- It's alright, a nice enough song, but doesn't seem "spectacular" enough for a country's potential one-shot at Eurovision. If this wins, it will be very much in part due to the novelty.

Jasup

Aminata has a good shot to make the finals at least; there are only ~4-5 sure things from that semifinal and she's currently sitting at around 10-12th overall with the bookies.

Spyware

I've been very quiet since "Inför Eurovision" started and that's because I... wow. I dunno what happened to that show. It sucks now. I couldn't even watch a single episode of it to the end. Last year was disappointing, this year was a disaster.

Adresse Wien is great so far tho, as I assumed it would be. Go Norway :p

As for the songs, I do have a couple of favs but not as "songs I'd like to win", since they work more as backround songs in i my normal playlist than songs in a show like Eurovision. That sounds odd but maybe someone will understand what I mean.

MrPanic

Needs more Lordi.

ODmYXj1.gif

Ah, the reason why Eurovision became a must watch program every year for me and the first time a shimmer of hope appeared for the thought that all the countries could actually unite to vote for the best song. Good memories.

I haven't really been keeping up with this years Eurovision since the Netherlands decided to to send Trijntje (bleh). What are the songs to keep an eye out for? I'm looking for the top contenders and the hilarious songs/acts.

Peru

Wow somehow I missed Italia bringing the big guns and, admittely, a soaring, if cheesy, song. A very handsome boyband equally popular with an older crowd. Dangerous stuff. Good job.

Gotta say I love Spain's big fuck you ballad, though.

Sinfamy

This year's entry for Romania (Voltaj) are childhood friends with my dad.
I'm surprised they've gotten this big.

This is me with the lead singer and my dad back in 2008.
om72p5I.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom