• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everett, WA Sues Purdue, Makers of OxyContin Over Opioid Epidemic/Drug Rings

Status
Not open for further replies.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
LA Times: City devastated by OxyContin use sues Purdue Pharma, claims drugmaker put profits over citizens' welfare

This story is one I had never heard until I was watching the news about a city suing Purdue, makers of OxyContin over the Opioid epidemic ravaging their city like so many others in the US. Pretty straight forward if still a major first but then reading more into exactly what prompted and triggered this lawsuit blew my mind. It wasn't just the fact that a phamaceutical company was pushing a dangerously addicitive drug onto people and doctors but it turns out it was even more than that.

They were basically the source for a variety of major drug rings pushing tons of pills. They were not only aware of it but actively ran with it and provided shady doctors a lot of pills which ended up in the hands of drug dealers. This isn't just greed and neglect of the normal sort that you would expect from a large corrupt company but of an even uglier and darker level. If this suit can get anywhere serious this could be pretty huge as they were basically the connect for several international drug rings.

Some quotes from the article below, there is more and its all fucking crazy:

A Washington city devastated by black-market OxyContin filed a first-of-its-kind lawsuit against the painkiller's manufacturer Thursday, alleging that the company turned a blind eye to criminal trafficking of its pills to ”reap large and obscene profits" and demanding it foot the bill for widespread opioid addiction in the community.

One Los Angeles ring monitored by Purdue and highlighted by The Times' investigation supplied OxyContin to gang members and other criminals who were trafficking the drug to Everett. At the height of the problem, in 2010, OxyContin was a factor in more than half the crimes in Snohomish County, and it ignited a heroin epidemic that still grips the region, officials said.

The Times' investigation, published in July, disclosed that for more than a decade, an internal security team at Purdue monitored doctors and pharmacies it suspected of colluding with dealers and addicts. In the case of the L.A. ring, criminals set up a phony clinic near MacArthur Park in 2008 and worked with corrupt physicians and pharmacies to obtain pills over 18 months.

A Purdue sales manager dispatched to investigate the high volume of prescriptions at the clinic found a rundown building thronged with rough men and urged supervisors to alert the Drug Enforcement Administration, saying she was ”very certain this is an organized drug ring."

Fuck Big Pharma if Old!

Madness

Everett was a great city in the late 80's and early 90's. Now it is trash. Oxy hit big, and almost all my family moved out to places like Sammamish, Bothell, Lynnwood. One of my cousins friends who I knew as a kid recently died too and was a huge junkie. Grew up in this city and was a great place back then.

Media

I fucking hate this shit. I have a legit reason to be on the stuff for the rest of my fucking life (painful autoimmune disease) but I no longer get it because if the fuckers that use it for fun. So now I'm in so much pain constantly I'm fucking suicidal. Thanks assholes.

hypernima

Banned
I fucking hate this shit. I have a legit reason to be on the stuff for the rest of my fucking life (painful autoimmune disease) but I no longer get it because if the fuckers that use it for fun. So now I'm in so much pain constantly I'm fucking suicidal. Thanks assholes.

Similar boat. I have horror stories about being denied meds in the hospital because of the effect the opioid abuse epidemic has on other patients with chronic pain.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Good. Drug companies need to be more forcibly involved in finding solutions to these little crises they facilitate.

This seems to be more directly malevolent as they were actively aware they were selling drugs to what was a drug ring not even pretending to be otherwise. This was straight up evil beyond the fact that they pushed their drug hard on the normal fronts and ended up getting a lot of people hooked.

This. People with real injuries shouldn't be told to fuck off due to the actions of addicts. There are people that take this stuff for legitimate medical reasons and follow dosage guidelines.

SeanTSC

Yep, opioids are the only stuff that works for my pain, but absolutely no one will prescribe me any type of it here down in SW Washington. Sometimes I can bum a couple of my mom's Hydromorphone when she's conservative with them, but they very carefully control how many they prescribe, so it's not often and I save em for my worst days. Smoking marijuana helps take the edge off, but I can't afford to smoke non-stop every day and you can't just go out and have as much in my system as I need to have an effect and function at school/work/etc.

It all really sucks.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Good.
You know shit is off the rails when they have commercials for a drug that helps you crap because you're taking too many opioids...because it's over prescribed and too available for the wrong reasons. Literally they character is carrying around a briefcase of shit because they suck down too many oxies on a daily basis for some bullshit reason.

The next step is when you go to Costco and they're selling twin packs of Oxy and Movantik.

Also, in line with the other poster, I take Modafinil and it's a hassle to get it every month because doctors are handing out oxy scrips like candy.

Ekdrm2d1

r0dHByV.jpg

The failure is pretty complete when the people supposedly keeping drugs simply for pharmaceutical purposes make some drugs illegal under the pretence of preventing illegal activities, then do something illegal to contribute to the illegal drug trade you were supposedly against.

I've been prescribed Oxycontin a couple of times, as well as Acetaminophen with Codeine. In all of the cases, I only needed a few days or so of it, and had far more pills than I needed. After that, I flushed them down the toilet in each case, because I don't need something like that hanging around.

Linkura

I've been prescribed Oxycontin a couple of times, as well as Acetaminophen with Codeine. In all of the cases, I only needed a few days or so of it, and had far more pills than I needed. After that, I flushed them down the toilet in each case, because I don't need something like that hanging around.
Yeah I had sinus surgery and was prescribed Oxy just in case.... didn't need it at all. I need to bring it to a police station drop off or something.

Yeah the assholes that got addicted because of shitty doctors are having so much fun being addicted to opioids

Yeah I had sinus surgery and was prescribed Oxy just in case.... didn't need it at all. I need to bring it to a police station drop off or something.

I'd hold on to it just in case. I recently had a weird nerve leg pain thing and could barely walk to the car. The doctor wouldn't give me anything for the pain and told me it was my body's way of saying don't walk. Luckily I had an oxy something from my wisdom teeth years ago.

Pretty sure flushing down a toilet is a valid method of disposal for tablets.
But, could always do that. Just be careful en route, I guess.

I'd hold on to it just in case... Luckily I had an oxy something from my wisdom teeth years ago.

Wut?
You think this is good advice?... Holding onto old medication in case you "need to use it for something else"?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah the assholes that got addicted because of shitty doctors are having so much fun being addicted to opioids

Yeah, that was a seriously stupid fucking comment.

Most of those guys are now addicted to heroin and a good portion are probably dead or soon on their way out.

rjc571

Banned

Wut?
You think this is good advice?... Holding onto old medication in case you "need to use it for something else"?

When I was prescribed oxy I took my leftover pills recreationally, 1-2x/week. As long as you don't abuse the crap outta them they're not really addictive.

Wut?

Of course. It saved me a $1300 trip to get an mri and then another doctor's visit for some pain relief. With a high deductible plan I've become quite the diy doctor.

RustCohle

Neo Member

Lol, those assholes addicts, purposely having horrible lives using opiates for "fun" and dying at unprecedented rates. What a misdirected meltdown, I hope this is just anger and not ignorance

Media

Lol, those assholes addicts, purposely having horrible lives using opiates for "fun" and dying at unprecedented rates. What a misdirected meltdown, I hope this is just anger and not ignorance

I wasn't clear; the assholes are the doctors handing them out like candy, not those sufreeing from addiction, and the asshole dealers pushing them as safer than herion.

Sorry for the offensive, everyone being in constant pain makes me an asshole

jb1234

I wasn't clear; the assholes are the doctors handing them out like candy, not those sufreeing from addiction, and the asshole dealers pushing them as safer than herion.

I find that doctors tend to lean more towards letting patients suffer these days, mostly thanks to the DEA who have been putting a great deal of pressure on them not to prescribe opiates.

leroidys

LA Times came out with an article on the LA/Everett drug connection. It prominently featured a girl I went to high school with, who ended up dead from a heroine overdose. It really has taken an immense toll on the area.

rjc571

Banned

Oxy is safer than heroin. By a million miles. Like, it's not even a fucking competition.

Source: I've used both

Isotropy

Good.

If you manufacture and profit from a controlled substance, you need to take some responsibility in ensuring it doesn't fall into the hands of people whose lives are destroyed by it.

Kthulhu

When I was prescribed oxy I took my leftover pills recreationally, 1-2x/week. As long as you don't abuse the crap outta them they're not really addictive.

That's a really huge risk you're taking.

Of course. It saved me a $1300 trip to get an mri and then another doctor's visit for some pain relief. With a high deductible plan I've become quite the diy doctor.

I'm sure whatever Wikipedia told you won't be better than what an actual doctor with years of experience and education could provide for you.

I get that your plan is shit, but self medicating is never a good idea, esspecially with prescription drugs. Esspecially with prescription drugs that are know to be highly addictive.

rjc571

Banned
That's a really huge risk you're taking.

1-2 per week is far below the level needed to develop dependence/addiction. When I needed them for pain I would take them as directed (i.e. every 6 hours) and that was fine as well. I guess it's a problem that some people pop them like candy, so maybe we just need to do a better job explaining the risks of abusing them, but every doctor who's prescribed them for me has made it pretty clear how dangerous they can be if you exceed the maximum dosage.

krazen

1-2 per week is far below the level needed to develop dependence/addiction. When I needed them for pain I would take them as directed (i.e. every 6 hours) and that was fine as well. I guess it's a problem that some people pop them like candy, so maybe we just need to do a better job explaining the risks of abusing them, but every doctor who's prescribed them for me has made it pretty clear how dangerous they can be if you exceed the maximum dosage.

Dude, you're killing me. OP and subsequent posts gave like 100k words worth of news articles describing what the issue and you come in like, "WHAT?!? THEY ARE JUST USING EM WRONG".

There are plenty of people with high tolerance to addiction, and as per the article around 10-20% of those who take it as perscribed get the advertised results. The rest are FUCKED, so to come in on some, "Yeah man, they just using em wrong, just more education and its all good!".

And I say this as someone who has dabbles in recreational drug use; you put up kind of an asshole post

Serra

Thanks OP for that article. It lead to me reading the whole L.A Times investigation about Oxycontin. Really good reads, I highly recommend them!

http://www.latimes.com/projects/oxycontin-part1/

If you click "Read the stories" at the top, you can go to the other stories about the investigation. I especially recommend "L.A Oxycontin Ring".

That first piece made me despair at how shitty the FDA is though. Most of the shit detailed there wouldnt fly here in Finland. Our regulator aint perfect either tho but it did make me feel better.

Anyone interested in a nonfiction recounting of how we got here and how opoid prescription and heroin go hand in hand should read Dreamland, by quinones. Incredible book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom