• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW AND FIRST US VIDS OF TEKKEN 5!

Over the weekend, attendees of Evolution 2004 Fighting Game Championships at Cal Poly Pamona were lucky to have been graced with First US Debut of Namco's Tekken 5! VGO was there to speak with Jason Arney of Namco Chicago to get an inside look on this upcoming arcade fighter.

VGO: Can you tell us anything about the Tekken 5 board?
JA: The board is different this time around. It's using the 256 board. Tekken 4 was on the 246 board. If you also notice, the game is much faster. To give you an idea, think of it as an overclocked PS2 by 33%.
Complete article and videos are here.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
The card system sounds really cool, I wouldn't mind having something like that around here.

Greekboy

Banned
It's using the 256 board. Tekken 4 was on the 246 board. If you also notice, the game is much faster. To give you an idea, think of it as an overclocked PS2 by 33%

Possible PS3 launch title?

TheDiave

Banned
Possible PS3 launch title?
Or Namco just once again demonstrates why they are gods when it comes to game development on the PlayStation 2, and pull a near-perfect port from the heavens.

in the latest edge with TEKKEN 5 on the cover, the guy being interviewed did say that it was a souped up board.

They also said that because of that....

the visuals on the home console will suffer an according degradation.

where are our videos?

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
I'd expect the port quality to be along the same line as Tekken 3 going from System 12 to PlayStation. I wonder if a PSP version is in the cards at all...

Andy787

Banned
TheDiave said:
Or Namco just once again demonstrates why they are gods when it comes to game development on the PlayStation 2, and pull a near-perfect port from the heavens.
That was hilarious. Good show.

ourumov

tekken53.jpg

That pic is awesome... :)

It's curious they use a souped up 246 instead of using the Triforce...

ourumov said:
tekken53.jpg

That pic is awesome... :)

It's curious they use a souped up 246 instead of using the Triforce...

It's not so much when you consider it's going to be a PS2 game and they're making sure it's going to run properly and won't be really hard to port to the PS2.

I don't understand why this is on an 'overclocked PS2' board instead of a standard one. Doesn't this all but ensure that the home PS2 version will not be perfect?

Sho Nuff

Banned
PS2 version comes with this:

cool.jpg

If you don't use the Liquid Cooler (4500rpm)(for PlayStation(R)2) the game just runs at 30fps instead of 60.

MightyHedgehog said:
I don't understand why this is on an 'overclocked PS2' board instead of a standard one. Doesn't this all but ensure that the home PS2 version will not be perfect?
maybe that is part of namco's plan?

just a few tiny imperfections are enough to make some people play in the arcades for a while longer...

Unless the T5 team is far better at optimization and all-around skill than the SCII team, I think we're going to see a similar hit to its performance when it comes home. SCII (arcade) was smoother, overall, than the PS2 home version. I mean, come on, this new arcade board is ~33% faster than the home version of what is very nearly the same hardware? It's going to be a lot more than a tiny difference this time. Where are the XBOX and GC version announcements already?

Well if it's really PS2 exclusive as it seems it's going to be, then they'll definetly be able to optimize it more than the SC2 team did.

Somehow, I think the PS2 version will be using field rendering, like T3 on PS1, or something that will be very noticeable in difference visually from the arcade. That or there will be some decent cuts to the actual visuals. Anyway, all I really truly give a crap about is the inclusion of a TTT-mode of play.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Lakitu said:
God the download rate on that site is a$$, anybody have any mirrors?
I'm trying to mirror the files right now, but it will take a lot of time :/
If some of you guys have some files complete already please contact me so I can have you upload them ;)

read the Tekken Edge article. Is Tekken 4 really that reviled/bad? I nearly played it but then... I couldn't get into TTT myself even though I played Tekken 2 to death and back.

doncale

Banned
no reason why Namco can't do a 90-95% exact conversion/port to PS2. the System 256 board sounds like less of a leap over System 246 than System 12 was over System 11.

System 256: 33% faster than System 246 / PS2

System 12: 50% faster than System 11 / PS1

Tekken 5 on PS2 should be closer to Tekken 5 arcade than Tekken 3 on PS1 was to Tekken 3 arcade. Tekken 3 on PS1 was something like 75-80% of the arcade, visually, to my eye, IMO.

doncale

Banned
MightyHedgehog
SCII (arcade) was smoother, overall, than the PS2 home version.

I thought the PS2 home version of SCII was said to be pretty much exact to the arcade 246 board. I've only seen the arcade once though, it did look smooth. I don't doubt there might be some things that are better/smoother about the arcade SCII..... the arcade Tekken, Tekken 2 and Soul Edge on System 11 (PS1-based) had some small but noticable graphical differences compared to the home PS1 versions. hit-spark resolution. floor texture resolution in Tekken 1 and Tekken 2, character model size in Tekken 2 and the grass on Rocks stage in Soul Edge was larger on System 11 arcade.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
The one thing that pisses me off about T5 is the release date. Last I heard they were targeting November or December. The waiting is torture. The wait for the other Tekken games was never that long. When they first revealed the details at E3 I was expecting an August or September release.

I'm no big DOA fan but I even I can see that DOA wipes the floor with Tekken.

I know it's a different team that produces this game but I wish there was more influence from the Soul Calibur Team.

IMO, this will continue to be one of the longest running and lamest fighting games in existence. It kinda brings the taste of Superman N64 to my mouth every time I think, see, or hear about it.

PS.

And yes I have played Tekken 4 (not willingly either after playing the previous incarnations).

:D

Have a nice day.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Unless the T5 team is far better at optimization and all-around skill than the SCII team, I think we're going to see a similar hit to its performance when it comes home. SCII (arcade) was smoother, overall, than the PS2 home version.
SC2 PS2 was the pixel for pixel copy of the arcade version, as the arcade version runs on the hardware that is bit-for-bit identical to PS2.

As for Tekken 5, 33% difference is really pretty small. I wouldn't worry too much about the quality of the port. It's not like Tekken 5 looks much better than SC2 to begin with.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
maximum360 said:

im not a tekken fan and i find that comment ridiculous.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
The site is getting hammered with people downloading the videos. I got a rate of 25k per sec until I got around 90%. Then the downloading speed turned to 1->2k per sec :/

ourumov

Sure...DOA is great. The only fighter where one doesn't need to look to the screen to win matches, where everything can be countered...

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
maximum360 said:

You're just talking visually right? In that case I agree.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Lakitu said:
Anyone got any mirrors then?
I get about 5 kbytes/s with a download accelerator, so unless someone already has the files and can upload them to me I don't think I'll have the patience to get all of these videos.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Marconelly said:
SC2 PS2 was the pixel for pixel copy of the arcade version, as the arcade version runs on the hardware that is bit-for-bit identical to PS2.

As for Tekken 5, 33% difference is really pretty small. I wouldn't worry too much about the quality of the port. It's not like Tekken 5 looks much better than SC2 to begin with.

Pixel for pixel sure, but the PS2 version actually has a lot more slowdown going on than the arcade version, and it's almost absent from the GC and Xbox versions.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Reno said:
Pixel for pixel sure, but the PS2 version actually has a lot more slowdown going on than the arcade version, and it's almost absent from the GC and Xbox versions.
Probably could have been solved along with the initial longer load time if SCII was compatible with the HDLoader :/

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I hate to sound like this, but I distrust any technical comments because well, they're from a guy from Namco USA. His comment to the effect of "wow, look how fast it moves!" is pretty meaningless to me, as just gameplay speed (not framerate, as we know it runs at the standard 60fps for 3D fighters) could be tweaked up and down the scale for most any game regardless of proccessing power. I.E, Tekken 4 -could- be set to play so fast you couldn't even see individual moves come out. US employees of certain Japanese companies traditionally seem to know very little about hard facts and just make vague comments which are assumptions. Personally, my guess is that the faster board is Namco wanting slightly faster hardware to deal with issues such as the bits of slowdown in SC2. However, just because there was some slowdown, didn't mean they toned the game down for the PS2 version - it was the same code. I wouldn't be surprised if Tekken 5 on PS2 is 100% identical and also just uses the same code. For one thing, it doesn't appear to have the particle effects of SC2 which were what slowed things down.

I still remember a guy at Sega of America enthusing that the Saturn version of Virtua Fighter 2 was going to have breakable objects on the ground that you could throw people through and did damage, and he claimed it was because Sega of America polled US players and they said they wanted boxes to throw people through so they told AM2 and AM2 said "Sure, we'll put that in!" He then said if it wasn't for Sega of America's feedback, AM2 would be out of touch with the arcade game scene!

Azih

I still remember a guy at Sega of America enthusing that the Saturn version of Virtua Fighter 2 was going to have breakable objects on the ground that you could throw people through and did damage, and he claimed it was because Sega of America polled US players and they said they wanted boxes to throw people through so they told AM2 and AM2 said "Sure, we'll put that in!" He then said if it wasn't for Sega of America's feedback, AM2 would be out of touch with the arcade game scene!
Wow, can you dig up a link to that?

I'm not a proponent of either game (Tekken or DOA) but if I had to I'd rather play DOA 3 or any new incarnation compared to the horrible Tekken series.

At least in DOA it can be classified somewhat as a deeper fighting game (though the inclusion of pressure sensitive moves were lame and the counters are way overdone). Even with that it's still superior, IMO.

I'm hoping against hope here but I do wish the series would die after this one unless they improve the game from a button-masher/waste of time to something worth playing.

Don't take my opinions personally please. It's just a game and a loathesome one.

:D

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Finally mirrored one file :
http://www.xboxyde.com/leech_663_en.html
Update. Make that 2, but it's getting slower :
http://www.xboxyde.com/leech_664_en.html
Update 2. 3rd one, still getting slower :
http://www.xboxyde.com/leech_665_en.html

I'll update this topic if I manage to mirror some more (looks like I get about 15 kbytes/s now so I'll keep dling)

Btw I just got the fiber installed on the direct download media server, I'd appreciate if you guys could give it a try and report the speed you get. Feel free to use a download accelerator ;)

doncale

Banned
I highly doubt PS2 Tekken 5 will be 100% identical to arcade Tekken 5, since the System 256 arcade board is a faster PS2 / System 246. I'd expect PS2 Tekken 5 to be closer than PS1 Tekken 3 though. Since PS1 versions of System 11 games were not 100% identical, (System 11 is *no* faster than PS1) then I'd bet on System 256 games on PS2 being a slight downgrade. but nothing to really complain about.

Top Bottom