• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Extremist Militia Occupies Federal Building In Oregon

Status
Not open for further replies.

eu pfhor ia

Neo Member
no, but they are an armed group occupying gov't property and threatening violence. Sounds like terrorism to me. I guess they're lucky I'm not a judge/DA is what I mean.

no, but they are an armed group occupying gov't property and threatening violence. Sounds like terrorism to me. I guess they're lucky I'm not a judge/DA is what I mean.

Only way to deal with these assholes is to wait them out. Ramping up the response will instigate them and lead to violence. They only have so much food and water with no leverage. If they come out on their own it weakens thier movement and shows how fucking unreasonable they are. people seem to forget Waco lead to the Oklahoma City bombing.

eu pfhor ia

Neo Member
Only way to deal with these assholes is to wait them out. Ramping up the response will instigate them and lead to violence.

fair enough, but that's no reason this story can't end with them spending the majority of their lives in Club Fed (I'm not betting on that happening, but that would be the ideal outcome in my eyes)

fair enough, but that's no reason this story can't end with them spending the majority of their lives in Club Fed (I'm not betting on that happening, but that would be the ideal outcome in my eyes)

They are trying to rile people up to join the movement, this can end if they show how toothless they are by waiting them out and having a peaceful end to the situation. They can take them into custody and charge them at that point.

What floors me is the vast difference in the reporting of this situation. From a standpoint on it being a bad situation, I'm sure the feds can talk it out, but imagine this same setup happening with any group of minorities. The media response alone would quickly diverge.

McDougles

What floors me is the vast difference in the reporting of this situation. From a standpoint on its being a bad situation, I'm sure the feds can talk it out, but imagine this same setup happening with any group of minorities. The media response alone would quickly diverge.

It hasn't even been reported on by CNN or MSNBC.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
What floors me is the vast difference in the reporting of this situation. From a standpoint on its being a bad situation, I'm sure the feds can talk it out, but imagine this same setup happening with any group of minorities. The media response alone would quickly diverge.

To be fair there's very little difference between a sit-in and an occupation...

... with the exception of the presence of arms and the willingness to use force.

... which is kinda the operative thing here

MikeDown

Banned
this whole thing has been a fiasco from the start; always a possibility if any of these not jobs survive I will run into them at work

The police should wait them out, but if they start pointing guns I fully expect "the system works"
exactly, I doubt any of their mothers packed them a lunch

Mike M

Nick N
I'm still waiting for a Simpsons gif/pic.
ciuAzBF.png

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So terrorists occupy a Government building on US soil. Wonderful.

What did these ranchers who are going to prison do? I only vaguely remember the Bundy protest, and seem to recall it was about them not paying the Government for the use of federal land for grazing.

Jerm411

Can't wait for interviews and vids of a bunch of delusional fucks with ARs, BDUs, and "tactical gear" talking about their strategic maneuvers to gain control of the building...

massoluk

Banned
If the Federal Government is a tyrant and want to kill you, they would just bomb the entire building, you morons, there wouldn't be standoff.

ISOM

But yeah, at certain points, you have to take the kids gloves off when dealing with nutcases. The first time the federal government deescalated was the right thing but I think now is the time to use force.

MikeDown

Banned
They burned federal land.

According to Bundy and his follower, federal land is unconstitutional, doesn't exist, and therefore they committed no crime by torching it.
i was under the impression that the fire got out of control burning federal land. Not intentionally setting fire to it. Though I could be wrong. Not really sure how I feel about the ranchers

Herbs

Banned
They burned federal land.

According to Bundy and his follower, federal land is unconstitutional, doesn't exist, and therefore they committed no crime by torching it.

Actually there's a little more to it. They were convicted of arson and served their sentence, but the Federal judge realized under the law their prison time was too short and ordered them back to prison to serve more time. I'm guessing it's a combination of both circumstances that led to this.

Cartman86

Banned
The media and the much of the countries reaction to something like this will be an obvious double standard, but the idea that we should escalate to violence is insanity.

Whelp, no better time than the present to bring up another round of far right terrorism. These people are all dangerous idiots
Yeah, this. Suspected communists, or the rumoured ones at least, we're treated far worse than this. And those people never had proof they were communists!

phaonaut

The video posted in the ThinkProgress article, somehow that went from getting miner and loggers back to work right into BLM being a bully that they needs to put in their place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom