• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Extremist Militia Occupies Federal Building In Oregon

Status
Not open for further replies.

eu pfhor ia

Neo Member
http://www.ktvz.com/news/militia-takes-over-federal-building/37242086

An overview, with local footage, of the protest, as well as a post-occupation interview at the end.

hah, fucking hell: "...chose not to go to prison, and stand up for their rights..."

I wish I could just say that if I got hit with some arson charges. These delusional fucks. Seriously, this "militia" is just a group of shitbirds who think they can use state/federal lands any way they want, because they are the True Americans(tm)

here's the wikipedia summary of the previous episode(s) of this saga of patriotism

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I find it hilarious that the collective reaction to these angry white men's temper tantrum is basically:

sDBStAL.jpg

Roc

Neo Member
I feel bad for the Hammonds, who want nothing to do with the militia. Hopefully no one gets hurt in this whole ordeal, either.

A part I have misunderstood

"two local ranchers who are due to begin a prison sentence Monday."
I havent read all the thread, sorry. Why have these two ranchers been prosecuted?

Roc

Neo Member
A part I have misunderstood

"two local ranchers who are due to begin a prison sentence Monday."
I havent read all the thread, sorry. Why have these two ranchers been prosecuted?

Two ranchers from eastern Oregon, in the process of field burning, destroyed federal land in the early 2000's. Because of this, they served prison time. Recently, a judge ruled that they did not serve enough time. Many people from Burns and the surrounding area are angry that the ranchers have to go back to prison. It should be noted, the ranchers don't want anything to do with Ammon Bundy or the militia; they plan to turn themselves in on Monday.

jonjonaug

More info from the Department of Justice on the trigger for this incident: http://www.justice.gov/usao-or/pr/e...convicted-arson-resentenced-five-years-prison

Particular highlights...

The jury convicted both of the Hammonds of using fire to destroy federal property for a 2001 arson known as the Hardie-Hammond Fire, located in the Steens Mountain Cooperative Management and Protection Area. Witnesses at trial, including a relative of the Hammonds, testified the arson occurred shortly after Steven Hammond and his hunting party illegally slaughtered several deer on BLM property. Jurors were told that Steven Hammond handed out “Strike Anywhere” matches with instructions that they be lit and dropped on the ground because they were going to “light up the whole country on fire.” One witness testified that he barely escaped the eight to ten foot high flames caused by the arson. The fire consumed 139 acres of public land and destroyed all evidence of the game violations. After committing the arson, Steven Hammond called the BLM office in Burns, Oregon and claimed the fire was started on Hammond property to burn off invasive species and had inadvertently burned onto public lands. Dwight and Steven Hammond told one of their relatives to keep his mouth shut and that nobody needed to know about the fire.

By law, arson on federal land carries a five-year mandatory minimum sentence. When the Hammonds were originally sentenced, they argued that the five-year mandatory minimum terms were unconstitutional and the trial court agreed and imposed sentences well below what the law required based upon the jury’s verdicts. The Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, however, upheld the federal law, reasoning that “given the seriousness of arson, a five-year sentence is not grossly disproportionate to the offense.” The court vacated the original, unlawful sentences and ordered that the Hammonds be resentenced “in compliance with the law.” In March 2015, the Supreme Court rejected the Hammonds’ petitions for certiorari. Today, Chief Judge Aiken imposed five year prison terms on each of the Hammonds, with credit for time they already served.

Two ranchers from eastern Oregon, in the process of field burning, destroyed federal land in the early 2000's. Because of this, they served prison time. Recently, a judge ruled that they did not serve enough time. Many people from Burns and the surrounding area are angry that the ranchers have to go back to prison. It should be noted, the ranchers don't want anything to do with Ammon Bundy or the militia; they play to turn themselves in on Monday.

More info from the Department of Justice on the trigger for this incident: http://www.justice.gov/usao-or/pr/e...convicted-arson-resentenced-five-years-prison

Particular highlights...

Thanks everything up until these two posts have been terribly written for me as an outsider.

Even reading you previous link Jon, everything was written like a novel and I still had no clue what the fucking problem was.

antonz

The US Government has had no issue rightly or wrongly gunning down people of all colors. The US governments shit poor handling of incidents in the 90s leading to 70+ people burning to death as well as even the ruby ridge incident has led to some drastic changes in how the Government handles these things. Even in cases where action is justified the American people tend to not be thrilled with the Government killing its own citizens.

Waco and Ruby Ridge changed how the Feds react. Local jurisdiction is another matter and certainly needs to learn to get off the trigger.

nope

edited: because i cant draw a concise clarification, in my own mind. Only by words, not by belief. Not worth debating over something I have some difficulty articulating.

newjeruse

Yeah. It's also Oregon in the Winter, they could just cut off the gas or wait for them to run out of propane.
Or you could get a bunch of military and federal agents and just take back the FEDERAL BUILDING that has been overrun. I don't understand what the question even is. If these were people of any other race they would be dead or arrested by now.

Vhalyar

Or you could get a bunch of military and federal agents and just take back the FEDERAL BUILDING that has been overrun. I don't understand what the question even is. If these were people of any other race they would be dead or arrested by now.

Yes but white. White!

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
If this was non white protesters armed and taking over a government building people would be losing their shit.

Why is that? Please fully explain your logic here.

There have been several high profile cases last year where buildings were taken over by muslim extremists. And they were not empty park stations closed for the winter in the middle of nowhere.

But if the meaning was 'if they were muslims they would all have been killed by now by the government' do you have any cases where this happened ?

The video posted in the ThinkProgress article, somehow that went from getting miner and loggers back to work right into BLM being a bully that they needs to put in their place.

I believe the BLM they are referring to is the Bureau of Land Management. Though I wouldn't be surprised if this militia group is full of bigots as well.

Why do people keep saying this shit, when the government has changed their approach to this type of domestic terrorism since Waco. They want a complete minimalization of potential violence, and they're dealing with heavily armed delusional people. It's not comparable to whatever you're trying to compare it to.

Maybe the lesson here is that more people should exercise their second amendment rights during protests.

Why do people keep saying this shit, when the government has changed their approach to this type of domestic terrorism since Waco. They want a complete minimalization of potential violence, and they're dealing with heavily armed delusional people. It's not comparable to whatever you're trying to compare it to.

Maybe the lesson here is that more people should exercise their second amendment rights during protests.

*if the protesters are white.

Any other race and it's game over.

jonjonaug

I'm not saying that this isn't terrible, but I'd rather see a responsible response to this than an irresponsible one. Even if irresponsible responses have been used wrongly against movements with more legitimate grievances.

Since a lot of these people want us to be like how the founding fathers were "supposed" to be maybe we should pull a George Washington Whiskey Rebellion like response....

Oregon ranchers reject Cliven Bundy family occupation

A group of angry anti-government protesters have occupied a building at a national wildlife refuge in Oregon in what they say is an act of solidarity for a pair of ranchers facing jail time for burning government land.

However, the Hammond family, the Oregon ranchers at the center of the dispute, say they don't want them there, reports CBS affiliate KOIN in Portland, Ore.
The Hammonds said they have not welcomed the Bundy's help.

"Neither Ammon Bundy nor anyone within his group/organization speak for the Hammond Family," the Hammonds' lawyer W. Alan Schroeder wrote to Sheriff David Ward.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Waiting them out seems like the best course of action. They're sulking like children, so you just call their bluff, patiently wait for them to realize they need food, then watch them come out and be forced to admit they were being fucking idiots.

RPGCrazied

Yeah, this is terrorism. To me anyway. Protester don't have the right to take a building over with weapons. They should be arrested.

Funny you say that when the group has threatened violence if the government tries to interfere. They are heavily armed and willing to kill to defend their occupation. That's their own position.

But they're white so they can do that with little distress caused.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom